Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Neverwinter: An Astral Diamond in the Rough

Comments

• LindrethLindreth Member UncommonPosts: 5

Personally I'd only give it a 6. Why? Far too linear. No way to go and explore the world and choose which order you wish to do quests in, as everything is geared to certain levels.

As for zen, definitely too expensive - especially for those of us in the UK and Europe - the conversion rate that they force onto us is ludicrous. If I could pay in dollars it would seem almost reasonable but I haven't yet found a way around being forced to pay in Euros -  the adventure pack, for example, is 19.99 in dollars, but 18.99 in Euros. At current rates, it should be nearer 15.5 Euros. A complete and utter rip-off. I refuse to pay, and to play, until they get that sorted.

A shame, as I was enjoying the game. The graphics are excellent; the combat good fun. But the pricing and the linear nature of the questing has me completely disillusioned.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but this time it's important to draw the line.  If we can just call a product what we want on a whim then we have no reference point.

Actually you are being nothing but pedantic. Here I'll just change one little pronoun and show you:

If they can just call a product what they want on a whim then we have no reference point.

Agreed.There used to be a clear cut difference between alpha,closed beta,open beta and launch and for most of the video game industry there still is.It's only the MMO sector of the industry that has really muddied the wters and the F2P sector more than any and not for good reasons only for marketing.

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    As in most things the tide can always turn. For right now though the Astral Diamond situation made me stop playing.
  • crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28

BEAR IN MIND...

This game is not even released, and these reviews are based solely on the opinions of the moderators / forum admins.

We all have our own opinions, likes and dislikes... 

The cash shop prices are what they are... dont cry about having to pay for an item that you are not REQUIRED to pay for. When you are getting a free game without monthly subscriptions and you still complain about pricing... It just makes you look like a whiney little bitch.

THAT BEING SAID...

ITS STILL IN OPEN BETA FOR A REASON... Stop trying to rush it.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by crimzonxskyz

BEAR IN MIND...

This game is not even released, and these reviews are based solely on the opinions of the moderators / forum admins.

We all have our own opinions, likes and dislikes... 

The cash shop prices are what they are... dont cry about having to pay for an item that you are not REQUIRED to pay for. When you are getting a free game without monthly subscriptions and you still complain about pricing... It just makes you look like a whiney little bitch.

THAT BEING SAID...

So if a new resturaunt in town opens up and does an opening special and gave everyone food posioning, they should not be held accountable?  That is essential the mentality "open-beta."  Like peopel have said and Suzie says, the moment you accept money from the in-game store then the game is released.

And it's nice to see the fans outright diss the review even though most agree to the scoring.  http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?311821-MMORPG-com-s-Neverwinter-Review

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Iselin

That almost made sense. It has nothing to do with what I say. Things are or are not whatever they are all on their own. No opinions required.

Of course, if you want to accept whatever they say as being true because they say it, that's your prerogative. I take your post to mean that whoever says it first wins...that true?

By the way, I own the statue of liberty. Want to buy it?

The term beta is a self-titled designation.  It is the prerogative of the developer, not the user to decide that.  Beta is an amorphous subjective and provisional term.

You owning the statue of liberty is none of that.  Either you own it and can prove so or you can't.  So if you own it and the price is reasonable and I can afford then let's talk.

Was Gmail in beta for years or not?  My Nokia 928 GPS app is in "beta" (along with several other Nokia apps) and I paid for the phone and the service from Verizon.  Should I just call it released because I don't feel like the term should apply here?

The purpose of the beta tag is to warn people that the software isn't in a release condition.  There could be bugs, problems, and the software is not guaranteed to function as designed under any or all conditions.  If people don't like using software in that state then they shouldn't participate.  If they object to paying for beta-ware then they shouldn't participate.  It is the strongest signal that could be sent to the developer.

We are not that far from agreeing but the point that is most important to me is something you seem to accept without giving it much thought. It's that "self-titled" bit.

It's almost akin to saying that the owner gets to lie and we can't refute the lie because they own it. I can't buy that.

The words "release", "beta", "alpha" etc. have conventional meanings that we all, more or less, understand to mean distinct things. 

Developers set targets for themselves and communicate those targets to us to let us know what to expect when the game is released. Sometimes, they don't meet all of those targets and release it anyway. When that happens, the honest thing to do is to say so. The dishonest thing to do is to intentionally mislabel the game's status to convey a deliberate false impression by misusing words that we have come to understand to mean something different.

It is difficult to do with a game that charges a subscription since there is no way to characterize a game as "beta" once the subscription clock starts ticking, But it's rather easy to deliberately confuse the issue in a free to play game.

So how do we determine if the developer is using the correct game status label in a free to play game? I can think of no better indicators as reliable as making the cash shop live and character wipes..

Arenanet could have gone the same route but they chose to be more honest and transparent. And GW2 is actually a good example because they also had a "paid beta" which is often used to try to justify what Neverwinter is doing as nothing more than a variation on paid beta...it isn't

The GW2 beta (except for the last few days when they allowed everyone in to a brief open beta) was restricted to those who had been picked to beta the game by the luck of the draw and those who pre-purchased a version of the game and registered that code. It was this last part that led to the beta being labeled a "paid beta", which, in a sense it was,

However, at no time during the beta did they activate cash shop transactions for real. They activated them for test purposes with pretend currency that you could use during the beta but was ultimately useless when the characters were wiped and they released the game.

Character wipe is another characteristic of beta that is also pretty well universal. This is distinct from "early access" when a select few (usually those who pre-purchased) are allowed into the game and can level characters that will persist.

So, I'm sorry but Neverwinter's status being called a beta is a deliberate misdirection from the developers that I can't accept since it resembles a F2P release in every way except what they decided to call it.

It walks like a duck and talks like a duck so...

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DragoshanDragoshan Member UncommonPosts: 36

With no diminishing returns on CC in this game... calling rogues overpowered is lame; I wish you go against 2-3 wizards in PvP and cry in frustration as you can't do shit but watch.

Yeah...Fun times. Rogues are OP.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

So if a new resturaunt in town opens up and does an opening special and gave everyone food posioning, they should not be held accountable?  That is essential the mentality "open-beta."  Like peopel have said and Suzie says, the moment you accept money from the in-game store then the game is released.

And it's nice to see the fans outright diss the review even though most agree to the scoring.  http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?311821-MMORPG-com-s-Neverwinter-Review

I feel like they're not bashing the review itself, but the argument between beta and release.  That, and most users there seem to think this is the woeful MMORPG.com of a few years back, not today.  I think we've really come a long way in our content, and I hope you guys are starting to see the fruits of our efforts.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Rogues aren't OP. Before I quit due to all the problems I could 1 v 1 any class in the game with my CW with probably about 90% success, and I didn't even have a full set of top tier gear yet. I could also solo cap points with my knockbacks and CC. I'm a good player, but I'm used to struggling quite a bit more in PVP. If anything, I'd say CW's are slightly OP...which is funny because early on people were calling them underpowered. Going up against a group of them is literally impossible.

Course people that cry about getting their ass kicked in PVP when they aren't rolling in a premade are kind of silly. Players that think they should be able to walk onto a battlefield without allies and dominate are self-entitled crybabies. That's the reason why no good open world pvp exists anymore.

As far as the review: I pretty much agree. I wouldn't say 7 though, to me 7 says a game is worth playing. The game is fun, the combat and everything else is great and it had tons of potential, but the rushed release damaged the game irreversibly without  a wipe.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    My impression after playing the game for ~10 hours was "It's a solid and fun game to play... for 10 hours"
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Originally posted by wordiz

Rogues aren't OP. Before I quit due to all the problems I could 1 v 1 any class in the game with my CW with probably about 90% success, and I didn't even have a full set of top tier gear yet. I could also solo cap points with my knockbacks and CC. I'm a good player, but I'm used to struggling quite a bit more in PVP. If anything, I'd say CW's are slightly OP...which is funny because early on people were calling them underpowered. Going up against a group of them is literally impossible.

Course people that cry about getting their ass kicked in PVP when they aren't rolling in a premade are kind of silly. Players that think they should be able to walk onto a battlefield without allies and dominate are self-entitled crybabies. That's the reason why no good open world pvp exists anymore.

As far as the review: I pretty much agree. I wouldn't say 7 though, to me 7 says a game is worth playing. The game is fun, the combat and everything else is great and it had tons of potential, but the rushed release damaged the game irreversibly without  a wipe.

Yeah, rogues aren't OP that much. However, I have had the occasional rogue hit 30,000+ damage on my full tank Guardian Fighter. I do believe it needs slight tweaking to lower the damage output for the class. But for the vast majority of rogues I fight. They're mostly balanced.

Those are probably the kids that exploited a full set of Castle Never gear too. lol. I've heard other Guard/GWF friends say the same thing. Naturally to get crits like that on me they would have had to get to me first. =) So no surprise I missed out on that experience.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Good review, the game seems fun but i think i'll join the folks speaking with their (lack of) wallet when i say i'll wait to play til they jack down their item mall prices, like, substantially.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by rodingo

I would say it's a fair score of the game, considering it's still in "beta".  I know, I know.   I think in time Cryptic will eventually make some good improvements to the game like in STO, and if you look at the low points in the review you can see it's very doable.  I think the Neverwinter we see now will be greatly improved in 6 months or so.  The good thing?  You don't have to keep a sub current to check in on the game every now and again.

It is NOT beta! No matter how PWE and Cryptic try to say this and keep jumping up and Down! It is NOT!

The moment you start taking people's Money, Your game is LIVE! PERIOD!

Because you say so?  I say it's in beta.  There, I win until you post, "no it's not".  Neither one of us get to decide that.  You can decide not to participate, but you don't get to decide what the state of the software is in or what it's called.

Because I work in the IT myself for over 14 years. Been playing games since a kid (so for over 25 years now).

When a software Product is in Beta you don't ask Money from Your customers nor take it, until the Product is actually ready for release!

This Whole Open Beta farce is just standard practice With a lot of craptastic F2P Companies and like I said... most of them keep their F2P games in Open Beta indefinitely until it's shut Down.

The only reason they do this, is to cover their arses and able to get away with everything, hiding behind the beta excuse. Pure and simple!

All decent Game studios who do a "proper" Open Beta actually use it as a beta to improve the game (usually it's only stress testing in this phase), don't charge Money nor take it via a cash shop. Release a final patch before release and wipe all the servers clean and then Proper launch the game With a clean slate.

But hey.... indeed who I am I right..... I Guess when Cryptic tells you to jump, you jump. Good Luck.

I guess because Google is charging  people using Google Glass 1k+ a pop it's not in beta eh? Their status is determined by their own people. This is not a democracy. That being said, you have every right to voice your opinion about their classification of their game, but the fact remains....the game is labeled as being in Open Beta. Period.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I loved this game when I first started playing it, and may give it another shot someday, but I'm surprised at how quickly I just forgot about it and realized "Wow, neither myself nor the person I was playing this with has even mentioned it in days..." then it became weeks and well... an easy 7, I agree with the score.  If you can stay interested in NW, I'm sure it'll be fun for a while.  There are just far deeper games out there right now.
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 355

I'd rate it 5/10, but only if you consider 5 as a truly average game.

Since most people see 5 as a rather horrible rating, my rating in "most people's language" would probably be 7 as well.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Too many exploiters and botters for this game to have any longevity. That is why the cash shop is so high. Its there to get your money fast, because you won't be around long.
  • JediSeerJediSeer Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by kakasaki

Originally posted by JediSeer

"Trickster Rogues can sneak around behind and pick off the strongest monster."

So, you're one of those are you?! I see you far too often when I play! If you are playing a rogue this way, then you are doing it wrong!

Sadly, you are one of my pet peeves...and I repeat, this is certainly NOT the proper way to play a rogue!

People that play rogues, please understand, your job is NOT to go beating on the strongest monsters, bosses, or champions until after you've taken care of the squishies. Squishies or soft targets like casters, healers and trash mobs are your number one priority!

Your job is NOT to go and tackle the toughest mob that the tank is trying to keep occupied while there are still adds running round (most likely harassing the clerics)!

If you play your rogue this way, then I would imagine you may also be the same player that often complains that you're not getting healed properly. This is because the clerics are too busy trying to get the adds off of them, while you are incorrectly trying to attack the tank's target and allowing those mobs to preoccupy your clerics and control wizards.

Let the tank hold the bosses aggro, while the healer heals and wizard controls and take out the squishies/adds. You'll be amazed as to how much easier the party manages itself!

Most players believe it is the healers that are the difference between a great party and a bad one; I'd argue that the rogue is the key to a successful party, not the healers. A rogue that knows how to properly do its job makes all the difference!

---

Aside from that, great article and I agree with everything you said, particularly the overpriced Zen items. This absurd mentality of overpricing things and the negative effect it has is unfortunately something so many companies fail to see! It's the reason why Amazon and Walmart are two of the richest companies in the world as cheaper prices mean more customers and more frequent purchases, which in turn equals bigger growth and more sustainable profit.

I was going to go full "who are you to tell people how to play" and "it's your opinion" but, honestly, you are 100% correct in your points. "Those" rogues bother the hell out of me too (I play a healer most of the time).

Actually you are both wrong. Rogues are meant to attack the bosses / strongest mobs. Wizards and GWFs are meant to pick off the weak AE adds.

Then I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I also find it convenient that you gave no argument to back up you opinion.

I'm not saying rogues shouldn't be taking down bosses eventually, just not at first. Wizards are CC specialists not single-target damage dealers. The idea that they should be taking out adds, I find laughable. They should be helping to control the crowd in particular the bosses.

Rogues on the other hand are the biggest single-target damage dealers in the game and therefore can take out most soft targets extremely quickly. In addition, having stealth with combat advantage in this game gives them the ability to easily flank those adds, taking those adds out even faster.

I will agree that GW Fighters could also help with adds and soft targets, but like the CW are also more AoE than the rogue and therefore are not perfectly suited for single targets. In my opinion, GW Fighters are better used to attack adds that are attacking the tank. This way, GWFs are still hitting the boss the majority of the time. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be as many GWFs in the game, so I haven't seen them perform all that much.

Furthermore, rogues cannot take the punishment that GW Fighters can take and because of this will take far more immediate damage from the bosses. This puts added stress on the healers to keep them healed while adds are still running amuck attacking everything in sight. I've seen it time-and-time again.

Lastly, I'm not sure about the TR in Neverwinter (as I've not really played one), but in most every other MMO, rogues are the absolute best class at interrupting healers and other casters, which makes them duly suited for the task of taking out those mobs before focusing on the boss.

I have played enough MMOs and have seen enough great rogues that I fully stand by my statement. I promise that if your party attacks a dungeon this way, you will mow through things much quicker and with relative ease.

I'd love to hear your argument otherwise.

• StzzaStzza Member UncommonPosts: 31

enjoyed the combat system, felt responsive and like I was hitting something.  thats about it though.

Total fast travel hub world, feels too linear to be called an MMORPG

Uninterested quests

Mute community, or the usual overused insults.

Playing : DayZ

Played : EVE, GW, SB, DF, AoC, WoW, WaR, L1, L2, Rift, AA, WS

Loved: DAoC, EVE, SB, old WoW, L2, GW2, EQ1-2

• sirsygnussirsygnus Member UncommonPosts: 2

Originally posted by mcrippins

Agree with the overpriced cash shop. I actually use it. I'm really enjoying the game.. but $10 for a large bag is kinda rough. 

yes it should be 10$ for an account wide bag, not just one character.

Sygnus Moro

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Wow the review gave the most praise to the areas I found least worthy of praise.

The graphics while not bad, are definitely not on the good side.  The character art looks like it was designed by somebody completely different than the game art.  Characters look very cartoony with the big eyes, hell they even made the half-orc female look cute, and they look very out of place in the realistic world.  Even with that aside I found everything to look very bland, and I don't mean dark like ESO, I just mean bland.

The combat felt very clunky.  There is a good chance I wasn't used to it, but it felt like combat animations were keeping me from moving when I needed to be moving, and moving wasn't canceling what I was doing at the time it would just move very sluggishly until the move I was in the middle of finished.  Didn't feel performance related as the game felt very light on requirements, bug maybe, or maybe I am just supposed to make a bunch of cancel action macros or something.  Still overall the combat felt more suited to a game controller than to a keyboard/mouse setup, and I think people like me that are used to the more traditional keyboard mouse setups used by MMORPGs are going to need more time to get used to it.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

Originally posted by kakasaki

"Trickster Rogues can sneak around behind and pick off the strongest monster."

So, you're one of those are you?! I see you far too often when I play! If you are playing a rogue this way, then you are doing it wrong!

Sadly, you are one of my pet peeves...and I repeat, this is certainly NOT the proper way to play a rogue!

People that play rogues, please understand, your job is NOT to go beating on the strongest monsters, bosses, or champions until after you've taken care of the squishies. Squishies or soft targets like casters, healers and trash mobs are your number one priority!

Your job is NOT to go and tackle the toughest mob that the tank is trying to keep occupied while there are still adds running round (most likely harassing the clerics)!

If you play your rogue this way, then I would imagine you may also be the same player that often complains that you're not getting healed properly. This is because the clerics are too busy trying to get the adds off of them, while you are incorrectly trying to attack the tank's target and allowing those mobs to preoccupy your clerics and control wizards.

Let the tank hold the bosses aggro, while the healer heals and wizard controls and take out the squishies/adds. You'll be amazed as to how much easier the party manages itself!

Most players believe it is the healers that are the difference between a great party and a bad one; I'd argue that the rogue is the key to a successful party, not the healers. A rogue that knows how to properly do its job makes all the difference!

---

Aside from that, great article and I agree with everything you said, particularly the overpriced Zen items. This absurd mentality of overpricing things and the negative effect it has is unfortunately something so many companies fail to see! It's the reason why Amazon and Walmart are two of the richest companies in the world as cheaper prices mean more customers and more frequent purchases, which in turn equals bigger growth and more sustainable profit.

I was going to go full "who are you to tell people how to play" and "it's your opinion" but, honestly, you are 100% correct in your points. "Those" rogues bother the hell out of me too (I play a healer most of the time).

Thanks for the support!

My intention is not to come off sounding like an arse. It's just that I've seen a few really good rogues in my day and noticed that this is what they do...and perhaps why everyone that plays alongside them notices how good they are. :)

This is literally how I play my rogue.  I focus on the boss, the second the next wave of adds roll out.  I make sure to clean up the healers, casters and archers.  Then help take off some of the harder hitting adds on the healer.  Then back to boss once the CW can control the last remaining adds.  I have been told at least one time I was doing it wrong.  Glad to hear we think a like.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Can't say I really disagree with the review and the pros and cons.  Combat and game play is a blast as is the Foundry but the way the cash shop is laid out, esp. the prices, will turn many people off.  They REALLY need to re-think and lower their prices.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.