Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Titan put on the back burner, 2016 release at the earliest.

124»

Comments

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Titan is not a game it's just a means to keep that hype train going and the money flowing.

Lol! This may actually be true. I have always wondered how they manage to prevent even the smallest information from being leaked out over so many years on a project where they supposedly had 100 people working. Things, especially things with a lot of hype around them, leak. It is a fact of life. Ask politicians and celebrities. The answer may be that there is nothing to leak. rofl

Blizzard never officially announced Titan. They can simply keep resetting or rebooting and keep the hype going for a long time. haha

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Gotta give blizzard props. Not a lot of companies have the will to throw away years of work cause it isn't up to their standards

Yeh. From what i know, they have already thrown away 3 games. One graphical adventure with Thrall as the main character, Starcraft Ghost, and now TItan.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Another way to look at it is they are throwing away obscene amounts of wow subscriber cash that should be invested in wow. No sense of urgency, no pressure to deliver quality for the money, just fat developers and managers gilding lilies and gold plating products that are taking so long to deliver they are obsolete before they release. Classic waterfall development in action.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Another way to look at it is they are throwing away obscene amounts of wow subscriber cash that should be invested in wow. No sense of urgency, no pressure to deliver quality for the money, just fat developers and managers gilding lilies and gold plating products that are taking so long to deliver they are obsolete before they release. Classic waterfall development in action.

In the last few years, anything Blizz put out is a big seller (SC2, D3, WoW expansion ...) so if "obsolete" means selling millions and millions, i bet many companies would love some of that "obsolete" products.

It is hard to argue with success.

You are confusing number of sales with value and quantity of content. These sales are exactly what I refer to.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

You are confusing number of sales with value and quantity of content. These sales are exactly what I refer to.

If those games are not fun, why would anyone buy/play it?

Personally all of them are highly entertaining to me. You are confusing "you don't like it" with "low quality".

I wasn't talking about the products they have released.

Look up gold plating anti- pattern and waterfall - that's what my post referred to.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

I don't care what anyone says, Blizzard is smart by this move.  They can now see what SOE does again, and copy it like they did with WOW from EQ1.

If you disagree that WoW  took all off EQ's core ideas, and classes and added a twist you are kidding yourself.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Gotta give blizzard props. Not a lot of companies have the will to throw away years of work cause it isn't up to their standards

The question is did they really have years of work to throw away?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

It's a brand new iP, not Starcraft or WoW 2. What you all don't understand about that.

It WAS going to be a brand new IP, but article now says they are RESETING

Should probably read the article before you come down on commenters.

He was probably coming down on the OP, who said it was probably WoW 2.0, which we already knew was not true.  Either way, I'm not concerned.  Knowing Blizzard, they just decided they needed far more ideas to steal from other games before it's ready.  I'm not excited about it.

Originally posted by TheJoda

I don't care what anyone says, Blizzard is smart by this move.  They can now see what SOE does again, and copy it like they did with WOW from EQ1.

If you disagree that WoW  took all off EQ's core ideas, and classes and added a twist you are kidding yourself.

+1

Exactly what I think they're doing and pretty much always do.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Mannish

The question is did they really have years of work to throw away?

They've done it atleast three times in the past.

• SC:Ghost - a game they were showing at E3, they had gameplay and CGI mostly finished but they dropped that game a few months before its planned release.
    • Warcraft Adventures -  a point and click WC game like monkey island, full throttle etc., I think you played young Thrall, the game was finished barr QA but the time of point and click adventures were over by then so they dropped that.
    • SC1 - Originally created in a WC2 engine - they showed it at E3, people hated it so they remade it in a new engine and look what happened.
    Blizzard are not ashamed to drop or completed redo a game that they feel wont be good enough and that's what Blizzard should get far more credit than they do.  Any other dev. would have shoved those game out without hesitation.
    That doesn't make them great lol, in the software business being a great dev is producing great products quickly, not spending hundreds of millions of pounds and delivering nothing.

That doesn't make them great lol, in the software business being a great dev is producing great products quickly, not spending hundreds of millions of pounds and delivering nothing.

You misspelled Cataclysm.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I seen the majority of people express disgust in wow and wow type games, only to see the majority of people trash and ignore games that are not in any way wow like.

The majority of the mmorpg community just want a wow2, proven time and time again with every themepark launch and every sandbox/unique game fizzle.

IMO they should save the money and stress and just port wow into a top end graphics engine and keep adding expansions..i dunno add a hardmode server or two and make things not so easy.  Just doing this would appeal to 99% of the mmorpg community and they could save a shitton of money.

Or...I guess they could try to do something unique and new, like what happened first gen mmorpgs...but then that was a different community...a different time...and I do believe that a new looking first gen mmorpg would flop hard after the first month in todays atmosphere.

Anyway...I think they will put a ton of money and resources into a game most will either hate (if its new and unique) or put tons of money into a new ip wow2 and people will be just as happy as they would have a graphic engine port of wow.

Who knows, maybe it will be a full loot sandbox done big budget...probably not...not enough money and people don't want things difficult or loss/risk.  I can dream though.

Wonder what the titan "twist" the he tired old themepark mold will be?

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

*Cough cough* I call vapor ware, lol.

Seriously though, it's Blizzard, they're slow in just about everything they do. It's a built reputation now. However, with their finances, there is NO REASON to not have the best team, making the best game out there, delivered in the best frame of time.

Inexcusable.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I never took this too seriously from the get go......Blizzard shot its load with WoW and basically everything else the company has made has sucked......The bar is set so high for Titan because of WoW that it is basically going to be seen as a failure no matter what.
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    The bar is set so high for Titan because of WoW that it is basically going to be seen as a failure no matter what.

That's probably why they decided to push it back.  Guess they thought it wasn't good enough to reach the kind of WoW level success they're hoping for.

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

I think there are major transformations currently in the game business, and this is a good time to maybe let it gel first.

In-Game Store vs Subscription revenue

Sandbox vs Theme park

Web vs Console vs PC vs Mobile vs Wearable

I look forward to see what Blizzard decides in a few years.

-WL

Originally posted by BrownAle

Or...I guess they could try to do something unique and new, like what happened first gen mmorpgs...but then that was a different community...a different time...and I do believe that a new looking first gen mmorpg would flop hard after the first month in todays atmosphere.

Wonder what the titan "twist" the he tired old themepark mold will be?

May be the twist is that they will do a non-MMO. No one says they have to produce a MMO to make money.

All their games make tons of money.

Personally, i am happy with a ARPG, or an online game in a new setting.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    The bar is set so high for Titan because of WoW that it is basically going to be seen as a failure no matter what.

That's probably why they decided to push it back.  Guess they thought it wasn't good enough to reach the kind of WoW level success they're hoping for.

I don't think Blizzard can equal or even reasonably approach the success of WoW. It was one-off, which has been rolling forward through the years largely as a result of its own momentum. Sometimes I feel like I'm the last person in the world that hasn't played WoW ! image

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Ujirik

I don't think Blizzard can equal or even reasonably approach the success of WoW. It was one-off, which has been rolling forward through the years largely as a result of its own momentum. Sometimes I feel like I'm the last person in the world that hasn't played WoW ! image

It can .. for non-MMOs.

D3 sold 14M boxes.