Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] General: Why Titan Was Delayed and Reset

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lanesarr

Of course lots of people bought diablo 3, diabo 2 was a very good game.

Would as many people buy "diablo 4, from the team that brought you diablo 3"? I very much doubt it.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Blizzard have been rehashing the same 3 IP's for the last 15 years..boring.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Wait... there are AAA sandbox MMOs? Where?

• SkyllzSkyllz Member Posts: 24

WoW is still bringing in ALOT of money...

Delay the next game until WoW goes low enough, you dont want to take what's left of WoW subscribers and tank the game faster than it currently is.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Sky

That's what I think. They are holding it back until a new mmo comes out that manages to seriously threaten wow. Then BAM huge marketing campaign and announcememt of titan in a few months. They're saving it for when they need it.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Its simple, really.. Activision/Blizzard wants to maximize Destinys profits before Titan is released.

Well I doubt it as Destiny is going to be 3 games , 1 every 2 years , so the second is close to the 2016 date. Let's hope it's because of making games for consoles as well as PC's.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Shaky

I just think they are retooling it to run on consoles now... Honestly the pc mmo market is very unstable, it's becoming more like the Korean/Chinese mmo market (lots of choice but only a few makes the cut) and there is just so much money to go around.

I have no doubt EQ will be good but will it be able to keep today's mmo gamers attention for more than a couple months before they move on to the next "flavor of the month"..

And yes D4 or the Xpac to D3 will move as much or the same as D3.. there are alot of true blizz fans out there..

Also person need to uderstand that mmo degrade over its life not generally gets better and the more it goes along the more person you want it to appeal to. I can bet blizz wants Wow to have the life span the Eq 1 has going for it and all indication is that it will, because once it goes F2p and server merges happen that will be another major increase in players..
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by WellzyC

They were either making another "Story Driven" mmo

Or another WoW Clone

and realized that either of those two formulas have been done a zillion times and the players are sick of it.

This is exactly what i thought and tbh, i don't think it's at all far from the truth.

OR they got rustled in their jimmies of what Wildstar has shown and figured "Our game isn't nearly as good" :D

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Any of you really think they had some revelation about the quality of the idea of their title?  Do you really think them that fickle?  Even if it's garbage, it's what they think we want, and it's doubtful that changed all of the sudden.

Instead, it's the next-gen consoles.  PCs are becoming obsolete, and the last holdout (well besides point and click RTS games) is the mmorpg.  But Blizzard knows it must at the very least put the games on the new consoles, if not give them preference, so it's got to slow things down a bit while being brought up to speed with the devkits for both systems.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by adam_nox
    Any of you really think they had some revelation about the quality of the idea of their title?  Do you really think them that fickle?  Even if it's garbage, it's what they think we want, and it's doubtful that changed all of the sudden. Instead, it's the next-gen consoles.  PCs are becoming obsolete, and the last holdout (well besides point and click RTS games) is the mmorpg.  But Blizzard knows it must at the very least put the games on the new consoles, if not give them preference, so it's got to slow things down a bit while being brought up to speed with the devkits for both systems.

General purpose PCs are getting weaker, but they will still ship 300 million units well into 2017 and beyond. If you look at the PC gaming sector of the market, it's growing. It is, in fact, the only sector of the PC market that is growing.

The XBox One is moving away from being a gaming machine and towards being an entertainment machine. That leaves the PS4 as more or less the only main stream gaming console. Gaming consoles have been on the way out for awhile now.

Blizzard is not going to move away from the PC gaming market because the PC gaming market is expanding. They're probably going to add the console market because the consoles are using PC hardware. It will be a fairly easy transition for them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

I agree with the idea that "Titan" was probably too similar to the standard MMO formula..

Real talk: Let's be honest though...even if blizzard released a squishy hot turd...people would buy the collectors edition that comes infused with corn...simply because blizzard passed it.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Joejc7135

I agree with the idea that "Titan" was probably too similar to the standard MMO formula..

Real talk: Let's be honest though...even if blizzard released a squishy hot turd...people would buy the collectors edition that comes infused with corn...simply because blizzard passed it.

You know...people are as freaking stupid as you may think.

If the game is good, then people will buy/play it.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Joejc7135

You know...people are as freaking stupid as you may think.

If the game is good, then people will buy/play it.

I know with absolute certainty that people are as stupid as I think. Of course not all of them, but then I wasn't singling anyone out.  If you think a game is mediocre and buy it anyway...then whine about how many mediocre games there are..that qualifies as stupid...don't you think?

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Like some posters here, I am giving Blizzard more credit. It is a very business savvy company (unlike SOE). Releasing Titan this year makes no sense when it would eat into WoW's profits. And why not wait a bit to see what EQNext does right (and wrong). Learn from that, tweak Titan, then launch with a relentless, never-ending marketing campaign. Another win for Blizzard.

Now, if the thick skulled head-scratchers over at SOE could learn a fraction of the business savvy of Blizzard, I would be happy. Brilliant developers; clueless business people.

In fact, Blizzard and SOE remind me of Microsoft and Apple, respectively in 1985. Apple arguably had the superior product, but Microsoft absolutely flattened them with execution and market positioning.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

This just in.... Blizzard announce they've delayed a game no one knew anything about and that had no release date and yet still hold the MMO-King crown. - only blizzard™

We had/have no idea whether Titan was a themepark, sandbox, a facebook game or a choose your own adventure e-book, whether it was fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, real world or happy pixie lala world.  And we certainly don't know why blizzard have delayed and rebooted a game that was not even officially announced. It is likely not to see what EQNEXT is up to as many have already stated , blizzard already put SOE to the sword 9 years ago and they'll do it again it they want. 

So much wild speculation, so many conspiracy theories so much hate and general BM - only MMORPG.com™

I can wait and enjoy the next D3, WoW and SC2 expansion and hit up hearthstone on my IPAD... all guaranteed day 1 buysdownloads.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Wait... there are AAA sandbox MMOs? Where?

I asked the that question earlier about what trend he's seeing in that respect.  Other than EVE I can't really come up with anything.  Not sure what I'm missing.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

i dont get why everyone is so shocked .. or pleased or w/e .. by all of this. it's pretty standard. why do you think it takes 5 years to develop an mmo? this is blizzard we are talking about .. they always do this. its pretty much expected. you should be commending them for not just continuing along a failed path and forcing it out before its ready.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by azmundai

i dont get why everyone is so shocked .. or pleased or w/e .. by all of this. it's pretty standard. why do you think it takes 5 years to develop an mmo? this is blizzard we are talking about .. they always do this. its pretty much expected. you should be commending them for not just continuing along a failed path and forcing it out before its ready.

If it was your business and the development team came to you after 5 years and said sorry we spent  X million but our product is going to fail, how would you react? There is no "pretty standard" with this or have people truly become conditioned to accepting epic failures of this scale as standard business practice? Sorry but I can't commend any business for such a staggering failure. It was touted as the Dream Team of gaming development. So many great minds condensed into creating the next amazing MMO and after 5 years to pull the plug say a lot.

People should be asking the question - What went wrong? Did they fail to read the market or listen to the end users? Did someone beat them in releasing a similar product? etc etc.

Sure, Blizzard are renowned for taking their time and keeping everything super hush hush but as a Blizzard fan and supporter I'm pretty concerned by this. 

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

What is scary is they had upwards of 130 people developing the previous version ... and it would still have taken them 7+ years to put the game out.

Un ... fracking ... real.

If other good developers had even 50% of the money Blizzard has raked in they would have either put out many more games of all kinds or had an mmo like Wow with 5 times the content added.

Where does all the money go?!

You stay sassy!

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Rhinotones
    Originally posted by azmundai

If it was your business and the development team came to you after 5 years and said sorry we spent  X million but our product is going to fail, how would you react? There is no "pretty standard" with this or have people truly become conditioned to accepting epic failures of this scale as standard business practice? Sorry but I can't commend any business for such a staggering failure. It was touted as the Dream Team of gaming development. So many great minds condensed into creating the next amazing MMO and after 5 years to pull the plug say a lot.

People should be asking the question - What went wrong? Did they fail to read the market or listen to the end users? Did someone beat them in releasing a similar product? etc etc.

Sure, Blizzard are renowned for taking their time and keeping everything super hush hush but as a Blizzard fan and supporter I'm pretty concerned by this. 

No it's standard operating procedure for Blizzard. The team wasn't hiding off in a corner somewhere building the game and realized it wouldn't work. They've been keeping management apprised of their progress. They just hit the point where it was decided to go another way. Most companies would just say " aww  screw it. Finish it off and ship it anyway." Blizzard won't. That's not an epic failure by any measure.

But does it not amaze you that so much money and time has been wasted? Maybe I'm behind the times because where I come from heads would roll and people be fired for this, if in fact the company could survive such a failure. Maybe Blizzard has it's own rule sets, maybe they are that big that to them this is a minor glitch.

There are many people that just seem to be accepting it because it's Blizzard and looking at it subjectively rather than objectively.

Lets change the scenario here and say that this news is regarding Wildstar or another anticipated game. Would people still be just as accepting?

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Murphy 11:6 "Rejoice, for the hour is nigh! The Tyrant has grown weak, and the players of Old and New will Clash on the fields of Ever NEXT. The Beast shall not yet fall, for its heads are many and its minions care not for change; But a blow will be struck. Such a fatal wound cannot heal, and after seventeen years the Titan of Sand will rise. It will sever the heads of the Best, and return the reign of sand and freedom. Players of the Old will sigh in relief, whilst the players of new will suffer in agony and flames until they all endorse the change. The old order will return, as prophesied by many: For we have heard what lurks in the shadows of development."

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    blizzard loves to waste money and time 

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    In terms of monetary return, not in terms of gameplay!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't think looks was the reason because they wouldn't license a new engine if they didn't care about looks,they would have kept using the Warcraft engine.It is possible somebody else beat them to the punch.

I think it VERY possible there are some leaks going back n forth between Blizzard and SOE as they always seem to be copying each other.Soe also scrapped their game ideas 18 months ago,maybe it took that long for Blizzard to get word of the new direction and saw it was perhaps better than the direction they were taking.

You can easily see Blizzard's design philosophy from all their past employees.They seem to build on going low end tech to keep cost down both of development and running the game.Blizzard is not a trend setter,they tend to look at other games and copy what is a current success.They copied Command N Conquer template,they copied EQ template.

They have recently seen an all out insurgence on the F2P market,so to sell a sub fee they will need to be better in every aspect of game design.You cannot make a thousand quests,ugly graphics and a bunch of end game dungeons and think players will scoop it up.Also every other game has done the hand holding thing,nothing left for Blizzard to do there.I think i will stick with my idea on them getting leaked info from EQ:Next and trying to directly compete with SOE.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XylethXyleth Member Posts: 1
    Blizzard: Releasing next-generation games three generations from now... maybe.