Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Titan put on the back burner, 2016 release at the earliest.

Comments

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by lickm3  

Originally posted by nerovipus32 Titan is nothing but hyped up vapourware.
      I couldn't agree more.
        True, they never were working on anything.
    So the put an huge design team with some of Blizzards well known developers a project that doesn't exist?

Riiiiight. If you're going to troll you need credible bait.

This Blizzard company can keep their secrets really secure without any single screen or alpha test info within 5 years when they first time mentioned about their "titan" project. They are like UFO. Nobody have seen them, but all believe they exists. Well done I can tell you!

edit: can you please name a few "well known developers" workin' on that project?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    I think, once again, SOE and Blizzard are waiting to see what each other does in regards to both of their MMO's... just like WOW and EQ2. You guys remember how EQ2 and WOW had the exact same release date until SOE surprised everybody at the last minute and released a week earlier? I think this is the same kind of game they are playing with each other.. let's see what the other does first.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

So what we learn from this ?

Cancel your Wow account , so Blizz is forced to work faster on titan !

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by MaNiaGG

how can you delay something that had no eta anyways? ;)

Lol, yeah.

• kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Have not read the whole thread so if this has already been said sorry....but I know the reason why Titan was delayed to 2016........are you ready for it......drum roll please.......its because they took Jay Wilson off D3 and put him on Titan and his ability to destroy games went with him there!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

Lol, yeah.

In the world of hype, that exists for games, films and so on, you can have a delay without an eta. But yes it is ridiculous.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

I was really looking forward to a Blizzcon reveal. Oh well.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Scot
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

Lol, yeah.

In the world of hype, that exists for games, films and so on, you can have a delay without an eta. But yes it is ridiculous.

Blizz has not even formally announced the game. So technically, it is not even a committed product.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    Blizzard is known to take its good ol' time, no surprise here.
  • IndolIndol Member Posts: 189
    Must be nice to be able to redesign games indefinitely. Enjoy it while you can Blizzard. Nothing lasts forever image
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Yukmarc
    I think, once again, SOE and Blizzard are waiting to see what each other does in regards to both of their MMO's... just like WOW and EQ2. You guys remember how EQ2 and WOW had the exact same release date until SOE surprised everybody at the last minute and released a week earlier? I think this is the same kind of game they are playing with each other.. let's see what the other does first.

SOE is doing a full reveal for EQnext in 3 months, August 2nd

its unknown when Blizzard will talk about Titan - and i doubt it there will be any info this year

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by nerovipus32 Titan is nothing but hyped up vapourware.
      I couldn't agree more.
        True, they never were working on anything.
    So the put an huge design team with some of Blizzards well known developers a project that doesn't exist?

Riiiiight. If you're going to troll you need credible bait.

This Blizzard company can keep their secrets really secure without any single screen or alpha test info within 5 years when they first time mentioned about their "titan" project. They are like UFO. Nobody have seen them, but all belive they exists. Well done I can tell you!

Anyone who believes more than one person can keep a secret is an alien from another planet. Don't tell the MiB you heard that from me.

So if this is true how have they kept titan secret? nobody knows anything about yet they had 90 people working on it and not one leak.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Titan is not a game it's just a means to keep that hype train going and the money flowing.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Titan is not a game it's just a means to keep that hype train going and the money flowing.

Blizzard don't need to adhere to such cheap tactics to keep money flowing. Its Blizzard not some small time rookie studio looking for cheap publicity.

You posts are getting more and more ridiculous. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by theniffrig

Does anyone else believe WoW is used as a testing ground for Titan's ideas? I believe it is/was/will be. 

Every game is a testing ground for Blizzard's design ideas.

They learn from observation.  A trait more developers should mimic.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Indol
    Must be nice to be able to redesign games indefinitely. Enjoy it while you can Blizzard. Nothing lasts forever image

WOW still has like 8M subs.

D3 sold 14M boxes.

SC2 sold a bunch.

I think Blizz can do this for quite a while .. not forever of course, but for a while.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Probably decided to change the design to better support a F2P or b2p payment model. Probably studying every model out there to maximize their income in this brave new world.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Doogie

Just because they don't need to, doesn't mean they won't. Especially since their merger with activision.

Hell ea don't need to pull shit, but they do on a regular basis.

My ideas why it might be delayed.
    1 d3 was an experiment in funding a game using a rmah. That part more than didn't work, they've had to work out a new way of funding titan.
    2 bungie announced destiny. There's lots of speculation that destiny and titan shite a common heritage
    3 titan is basicly wow 2, they've seen a myriad of wow clones launch and fail, they are holding back titan for when a wow clone finally launches that can successfully pull players from wow.
    4 its just a hype thing to keep people playing wow
    5 they are waiting to see what eq3 does so they can steal its best ideas, much like they did with eq2 and wow. Only this time Sony are being very tight lipped about eq3.
    Or 6 it was a story driven, solo centrist uber themepark, their internal feedback tells them people don't want that in a mmo, they've gone back to the drawing board.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Or 6 it was a story driven, solo centrist uber themepark, their internal feedback tells them people don't want that in a mmo, they've gone back to the drawing board.

Or may be they are reworking it into a non-MMO because they found that people don't care about virtual worlds anymore.

Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Or may be they are reworking it into a non-MMO because they found that people don't care about virtual worlds anymore.

Go ahead and bet on that, just not your 401K.  The very fact that a AAA game (EQ Next) was halted and being redesigned as a sandbox open world ought to be some indicator.  That, and ALL the WOW clones are floundering, including WOW itself, ought to indicate to you that themeparks are no longer en vogue and that people are clamoring for sandbox/open world MMO's.

One future game that you don't know how it performs? I wouldn't bet on it.

Here is a list of highly success online games without open worlds that are MMO-like .. i have not even count all the shooters.

LoL, WoT, D3, DOTA2, ...

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by coretex666

Themepark --> Sandbox

In the past, I have expressed my opinion regarding the development of project Titan.

I stated that since the development of the project started many years ago when themepark MMOs were still very popular, it may not be able to reflect to recent twist in preferences of MMO players.

This may or may not be a confirmation of what I said. Maybe Blizz is re-making something that was originally a pure themepark into something which is a little more sandboxy in order to reflect the shift in customers' preferences.

Or maybe I am completely wrong.

They would be crazy to release another themepark into the market unless it would be diametrically different from any themepark which ever existed, in my opinion.

All they said in the past was that it was not going to compete with WoW. That could be anything.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Gotta give blizzard props. Not a lot of companies have the will to throw away years of work cause it isn't up to their standards

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Lol at some of you thinking blizzard is intimidated by any of the upcoming/current games out there. Technically the only thing blizzard would have to do with titan is make a highly polished MMO to beat the majority of trash out there right now.

The only game to even scratch the surface of WoW in the past 8 years is GW2 and it doesn't have 1/10th the active players, on a non sub game. Ponder that for awhile and rethink your answers.

I don't think the word "intimidated" was ever used.  I think Blizzard took a cold hard look at the MMOs available and 1) saw that Titan wasn't different enough (especially if it was too similar to Wildstar) 2) Titan might dilute subs from current WoW, which is in slow decline 3) could possibly drive people to other games simply due to "change"

My guess is that they decided it was better to continue with WoW until subs really started seriously falling and continue to bring in sub dollars as long as possible, and make Titan the successor to WoW when the time is right.  Much less risky, and leverages the strength of the Warcraft IP.  Not intimidated, just cold business logic.  

Whether sandbox features make it into the game will depend on what the market says over the next few years.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

MMO companies use hype to maintain interest in their product up until launch. If you can pre-order then hype does generate revenue. But at this stage hype is not generating Blizzard any money at all as no game has been announced.
    Interestingly, in Kickstarters hype generates money from day one and keeps doing so until launch. In some ways getting something like a collectors edition is the way a MMO company mimics the Kickstarter tiers of support approach. If you pre-order or buy in the cash shop before launch you are effectively supporting a MMO in its development phase just like Kickstarter contributions.
    The fact we are all talking about a game Blizzard has yet to announce it is making shows the power of hype.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Scot
    MMO companies use hype to maintain interest in their product up until launch. If you can pre-order then hype does generate revenue. But at this stage hype is not generating Blizzard any money at all as no game has been announced.

Can we point out there's some maintenance income from associated WoW accounts?

:shrug: I guess that'd be the next time financials are released and the usual micro-analysis search for relevance (and anything we could use to support an argument doommm) begins?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.