Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Vroom and Doom

2»

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Maybe if we put a ArcheAge bikini babe on top of one of those cars, people will start to like them..:(

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

People who complaining about vehicles in a fantasy world like this mech 5 -like car, did you ever failed to noticed that world of warcraft DONE the same thing but added in motorcycles!? they added in STEAM TANKS for crying out loud, hell even Warhammer fantasy has Steam tanks too.

in other words, ARCHAGE TURNED INTO A SEMI-STEAMPUNK SETTING! ffs people, we hardly have many games that turn into this type of genre and you guys just bitching like always.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I was excited about Archeage when I initially assumed it was a low-tech medieval setting.  Now, with cars, it is clear they are going Steampunk.  That is not for me, alas.  There are TONS of Steampunk-style games out there, heck WOW has it.  It seems a cheesy way to throw in whatever the marketing department thinks will get you subscribers.  And now with possible FTP, Archeage looks like it is headed down the same cash-shop driven, BTW road so many have gone.

Another one down.  My hopes shift to EQ Next.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I liked Final Fantasy 7. Not only did it mix Fantasy and Steam punk but also modern technology.  Not sure what all the crying is about.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Maybe if we put a ArcheAge bikini babe on top of one of those cars, people will start to like them..:(

Ok fine you had me at Bikini.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Really looking forward for this to release in the West, haven't had a good sandbox release in many years.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Ok fine you had me at Bikini.

If that doesn't convince you to try the game you can always hang out at the red light district and have a good time there..:)

http://youtu.be/enyvpdfXE50

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Thanks for the article. The new mounts went on the live server on may 22, even the cars.

The black panther mount is the new pvp mount, and there is a new glider.

http://youtu.be/yXNZ5_r6U0I

and the cars

http://youtu.be/JG783f_FZho

As for the FTP, it's more like an unlimited free trial. Free players can play the game as much as they want, but have major restrictions placed on their accounts. Free players can't get labour points (so they can't do any labour skills), can't pay taxes (So they can't participate in anything), can't build houses or anything of the sort. More details will come in june, but it sounds like you might as well sub to the game.

Thank you for the update Kumapon! :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• AtanosAtanos Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

So the Cars are actually mounts, and not some racing mini-game?

There goes my interest.

Mine too. Last updates had clearly show the direction the game has taken..at these point i don't even think that a kind sort of  "westernization" they might do will change anithing.

Huge disappointment  :(

• itaremustbedangeresitaremustbedangeres Member UncommonPosts: 2
    you people forget that AA is NOT a Medieval fantasy game. It's heavily influenced by steampunk as you will notice throughout the entire game. There are so many steampunk elements and details in the world of ark. The steam-powered car makes total sense in such a setting.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Draven

Hopefully Trion will do their research and realize the western marketplace doesn't want such an odd mix of fantasy and modern themes. Its a complete immersion breaking joke to most American gamers and they will never even pick it up after seeing videos like this.

I can understand why they did it; motorcycles in mmos are a few years old now. Planes, dirigibles...try to make it look "old", put some wood on it, market as steampunk...yes, they're just following the example already provided.

It's just a really, really short step away from Speed Racer (he's a demon on wheels). Remember, this is a sandpark-y place, there's going to be emergent gameplay beyond the developer's control.

None of this stuff really "kills immersion" or any of the Panic (run in circles, wave your arms) phrases we typically see. But once they're in, the flavor of your game does undoubtedly change forever. AA can look forward to more repetitions of genre blending, until it becomes the same incoherent mess of trashed market-driven pseudo-lore they're cribbing from.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Vehicles in a fantasy MMO are ok - the motorbikes and aircraft in WoW are quite entertaining.

I really want ArcheAge to be a good game. However, I may not ever see a game to best my personal favorite, Eve Online.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

this is going to maybe sound dumb but....

if trion is in charge of NA localization, and people from NA dont like the idea of something as anachronistic as a car in their game, can't trion just remove them from the NA version of the game?

seems like it would be pretty easy to just delete a completely optional asset such as a mount from the game directory :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Actually , is very simple! B2P or P2P? I am in.

F2P? Arri-vederci ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krtnt191Drg )

I don't care if they add cars! They can add tanks too as long as is B2P or P2P, as I like the base of the game.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Looks like fun to me........it's a game after all.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

So the Cars are actually mounts, and not some racing mini-game?

There goes my interest.

Have to agree...

I make no demands over what can be a fantasy game for it to be fantasy, if it is true to the lore's own internal logic, but this isn't what I am personally looking for.

The first warning I saw from AA was the modern looking disco with a guy dancing with a bucket on his head, but I have seen a few things that jar me since. This is kinda the nail in the coffin. Not my taste in fantasy worlds at all.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

this better not go f2p... and it better not have a cash shop lol.. tho i am pretty sure it will end up being f2p and end up with a massive cash shop..

another game off my list..

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by darkedone02

People who complaining about vehicles in a fantasy world like this mech 5 -like car, did you ever failed to noticed that world of warcraft DONE the same thing but added in motorcycles!? they added in STEAM TANKS for crying out loud, hell even Warhammer fantasy has Steam tanks too.

in other words, ARCHAGE TURNED INTO A SEMI-STEAMPUNK SETTING! ffs people, we hardly have many games that turn into this type of genre and you guys just bitching like always.

This.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

They lost me at the cars. I believe this game has an identity crisis. Is it a fantasy MMO or a poor mans need for speed. :)

Wish them luck though!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

/photonman

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    I was super excited for this game, but as time goes on I have to admit im losing it.  When I first saw a chopper in Wow I was done.  I can ignore the disco parties in someone's house, but cars racing past me down the beach im not so sure.  If its FTP I might just give it a go, the features may be so good I overlook what I despise.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143
    Originally posted by Tekaelon

They lost me at the cars. I believe this game has an identity crisis. Is it a fantasy MMO or a poor mans need for speed. :)

Wish them luck though!

Oh AGREE!...  jotting down all the things a 10 year old likes on paper and then putting ALL of that into the same game is not really a game I want. 

AA is starting to remind me of second life with its eclectic mix.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

This is what happen to all MMO'es companies with so many years of development. 

The devs just got burnt out of ideas.

They start to roll out stuff that doesn't make sense at all.

If you are out ideas just copy WOW  /sigh.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

I remember hearing similar things about Aion when they used 1800s Americana stylings for their homes. This rather boggled me at the time considering Aion has never actually been a particularly medieval-style world, what with the extreme use of magic (floating cities and airships, anyone?), the use of steampunk-style technology with the Shugos, and the fact that architectural styling s have very little to do with technology when the buildings are made largely out of wooden structures.

It's a similar situation with Archeage. As others have noted, the cars are powered by Archium and steam technology. They're barely functional, moving at a rather slow clip with a barebones design, and are prone to breaking down (as the video amply demonstrates). For comparison, they also have circa 1800s-era warships with cannons. These cars are essentially cutting-edge technology in the universe of Archeage. I, for one, appreciate that they have these things in a universe alongside medieval-style architecture, armor, and weaponry. Despite commonly-held beliefs, technology is not a straight line to the finish.

In an alternate universe, these things could easily have become reality if the road of discovery had just turned out slightly different. What if we had never learned to utilize gunpowder in hand-held devices? What if we learned to harness electricity during a feudal era (unlikely, but this is a what-if scenario to begin with)? The world could have turned out very differently to what it is today. I like to think that these fantasy worlds are a way of looking into an alternate universe where the parameters were just that much different from our own, and there's really nothing wrong with that. You just have to learn to suspend your disbelief when things are different from established reality.

• PluppetsPluppets Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by darkedone02

QFT