Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: Mobile Gaming Gets Serious

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week marked an important moment for fans of both MMOs and the Ultima series with the very quiet launch of Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar in Canada. We've got a full preview and some impressions to share to sit back and read on before heading to the comments to tell us what you think.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate was the RPG that showed me videogames can be so much more than jumping on turtles and breaking bricks.  I was absolutely in awe of what I consider to be the greatest game in the series and one of the greatest RPGs of all time.  Seriously, download it now on GoG.com for $6 bucks and be prepared to be blown away by its depth and scope if you’ve never played it.  It’s worth noting that Ultima Forever (U4E) is a recreation not of the later open world RPGs or Ultima Online, but rather a direct “remake” of Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.  If you go into U4E expecting something akin to VII or UO, you might be disappointed.  This isn’t supposed to replace Ultima Online. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar - Mobile Gaming Gets Serious.

Cutscenes serve nicely to push the story along.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ErlijusErlijus Member UncommonPosts: 96

Thanks for the review Bill. I do not own an Ipad, but was very interested to check the direction EA/Mythic wanted to take Ultima in.

From what I see, we are still facing the same dilemna that get people so angry (myself included) at EA: good to great games, but being treated by EA management just as cash cows: hook the player, then have him spend as much money as he can in the cash shop before getting tired of the game...  I have heard the arguments they give us: games being like super productions, shorter span life and everything, but it really comes down to pure and plain greed. Can EA management try to find some balance between greed and ethics? Otherwise, they will keep getting the Worst company in America title each year :(

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's definitely a very fun RPG with a bit of MMO to boot, and I really would like/hope to see it come to the PC too like they originally planned.  But they need to reign in the cash-grabs.  Plain and simple.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    People still develop for "i"...things?  I thought that technology on training wheels was reserved for the elderly.
  • DestinoBRDestinoBR Member UncommonPosts: 9
    What about a port for Android? I'm not an  "I" user and I will never be. EA cant ignore this  huge slice of the mobile market, Apple is profiting more then their counterparts  but  it has lost the leading for sales to Samsung .
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Until the technology improves I consider any pad to be a waste of money for a gamer, especially since you can get a nice laptop for about the same money.  Pads are good for kids under 12 and that is about it.  My 11 year old grandson already wants a laptop for his next birthday so he can play real games.

Just don't get the excitement over mobile games myself.

Originally posted by DestinoBR
    What about a port for Android? I'm not an  "I" user and I will never be. EA cant ignore this  huge slice of the mobile market, Apple is profiting more then their counterparts  but  it has lost the leading for sales to Samsung .

I think the official word, via their twitter account, is that once the iOS version is fully launched, they'll move on to Android and PC.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Until the technology improves I consider any pad to be a waste of money for a gamer, especially since you can get a nice laptop for about the same money.  Pads are good for kids under 12 and that is about it.  My 11 year old grandson already wants a laptop for his next birthday so he can play real games.

Agree I don't get it. I'm a database admin, so definitely tech savvy, and TBH I still don't get the appeal of tablets at all. The only time I could see myself wanting to use one is in front of the TV, but usually I'm watching something and can't really be looking down to play a half-assed game every few seconds. If I can whatever I'm watching is not interesting enough, and at that point neither is the game.

I guess I'm one of those rare people who actually want TV and games to require my attention.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Even for a mobile game, the graphics are way outdated.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Somewhere Richard Garriott is crying that EA ruined Ultima for him.

Looks like more of the same...

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    It's definitely a very fun RPG with a bit of MMO to boot, and I really would like/hope to see it come to the PC too like they originally planned.  But they need to reign in the cash-grabs.  Plain and simple.

How exactly is it a bit of an MMO?

Like the article says: you're always online, share the over-world and towns with other players, and go solo into dungeons unless you group up.  

My Review Manifesto

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

This looks much more like the real deal:

http://albiononline.com/

• Albion Online is a Free-to-Play medieval sandbox MMO.
    • Albion Online is [s]also the first true[/s] a cross-platform MMO, running on different devices like Windows, iOS, Android at the same time and in the same world!

Player-driven economy

• All items AND buildings are player crafted.
    • Build your own villages and towns.
    • Rent out land or production buildings to other guilds.

PvP & Full Loot

• One of the first games to combine PvP, Player-Driven-Economy and full loot in a Free-to-play game.
    • Death is meaningful if you can lose everything.

“Free to Play”, but NOT “Pay to Win”

• We (the company) are not selling items to the players. We are only acting like a central bank, exchanging currencies.
    • Items and resources can only be bought from other players.
    • You can acquire every item (realistically) and every premium service without ever paying with real money.

Unique character customization

• There are no classes in Albion Online. You class is determined by the items you are wearing!
    • You can combine any item with each other. There are no boundaries!
    • Want to become the Mage Knight in Cloth Armor wielding Sword & Shield? In Albion Online this is possible!

Cross platform & one massive world

• Every player in Albion Online plays on one master server. There is only one huge game world.
    • Sitting in a café, playing on your tablet? You play in the same world like your friend, who plays at home from his PC!

Territory control system

• Our core gameplay involves conquering territories.
    • Conquering and holding territories has many advantages:
    • … to have access to resources and territories to build your own village.
    • … and to be protected from the dangers of the wild and the demons of the void.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

Ugh. Watching what EA is doing to the legacy of Ultima is like watching someone smash a beloved family heirloom. Absolutely disgraceful.

Although 'The Weep' is accurately named, because that's all any true fan of the series will do after laying eyes upon this monstrosity.

Excuse me. I feel ill, and need to go retch.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Mobile gaming is not meant to replace traditional gaming. That's like saying motorcycles are meant to replace cars...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Android is a huge part of the mobile market and it always seems to take back seat to ios. In fact it took 64% of all smartphones sales in Q1. /shakes fist

Anyway, I can't wait to try this on my android tablet or even my Note 2. I loved the game years ago!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    The cash grab's are a real downer and a blight on the industry, I'd be much happier just paying for the damn game.. I remember playing Ultima 3 & 4 on my amiga back in the day, and there was this other little gem at the time call "Fairytale.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well, to me the game is meant for when you can't get to a PC/Laptop.

I am always waiting for my better half at the Dr.s office. She is always there for at least an hour and it makes the time go quicker. Sometimes I will take her to get her hair done and sit out in the car and play Order and Chaos while she gets beautified. I took my grandson to the park the other day and was able to goof with Avadon for about an hour as well. I didn't even lose him!

Mobile gaming will never replace PC but it is something to do to pass the time. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by nethervoid

Agree I don't get it. I'm a database admin, so definitely tech savvy, and TBH I still don't get the appeal of tablets at all. The only time I could see myself wanting to use one is in front of the TV, but usually I'm watching something and can't really be looking down to play a half-assed game every few seconds. If I can whatever I'm watching is not interesting enough, and at that point neither is the game.

I guess I'm one of those rare people who actually want TV and games to require my attention.

You should check out Ravensword Shadowlands.... It is almost like a mobile Skyrim. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

• Albion Online is [s]also the first true[/s] a cross-platform MMO, running on different devices like Windows, iOS, Android at the same time and in the same world!

Player-driven economy

PvP & Full Loot

• One of the first games to combine PvP, Player-Driven-Economy and full loot in a Free-to-play game.

• We (the company) are not selling items to the players. We are only acting like a central bank, exchanging currencies.
    • You can acquire every item (realistically) and every premium service without ever paying with real money.

• There are no classes in Albion Online. You class is determined by the items you are wearing!
    • Want to become the Mage Knight in Cloth Armor wielding Sword & Shield? In Albion Online this is possible!

• Every player in Albion Online plays on one master server. There is only one huge game world.
    • Sitting in a café, playing on your tablet? You play in the same world like your friend, who plays at home from his PC!

Territory control system

• … and to be protected from the dangers of the wild and the demons of the void.

I am really happy you pointed this out. I think I will start following this game. It looks like something I can get into while waiting inbetween classes. I just "liked" their facebook page. Now I just need to wait for a beta invite....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Stop with adding to the confusion. This game, as its developers/producers state is not an MMO. Just like the original Guildwars is not an MMO for the very same reason!
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    There are more Android devices being activated each day than there are babies being born. Bye bye CRIPHONE, cuz that is what you make me do when I see that junk.

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Same old argument over what terms actually mean. MMO to me stands for massively multiplayer online. Having 4 people group together to do an instanced dungeon does not in my mind make it massively multiplayer. Its an MO not an MMO. IE its a multiplayer online game but its not massively multiplayer.

For me - in order for a game to reach MMO status you need at least 1000 players in the same world driving the same content with the ability to bump into any one of them randomly at any given time without a majority of the content being hidden away in an instance. At the very least a particular area should be open to at least 100 to 200 people out of the 1000 online at any given time. A small percentage of instanced area's is o.k. without breaking the MM part of an MMO.

The 2nd part of my comment revolves around the freemium model. I have played a number of freemium games and I can say I do not like a single freemium game I have every played. They can be o.k. in the opening get to know the game portion of the game, however, the headaches associated with the cash shop portion of the game quickly add up to the point freemium games become just a chore to play instead of actually being entertaining. So I will definitely not even consider this one with the freemium model.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Screw EA for retaining the rights to the Ultima IP.  This is utterly disgraceful. 

Oh, and iPad only?  Well, I'm certainly not going to give this game a try, so I really don't care.  But lol nonetheless. 

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Sweet blatant advert in the middle of a conversation about another game.  Since we're on the subject; "full loot" is the dumbest thing in an MMO.  Want a tiny player base for your MMO? Add "full loot".Sweet blatant advert in the middle of a conversation about another game.  Since we're on the subject; "full loot" is the dumbest thing in an MMO.  Want a tiny player base for your MMO? Add "full loot".Sweet blatant advert in the middle of a conversation about another game.  Since we're on the subject; "full loot" is the dumbest thing in an MMO.  Want a tiny player base for your MMO? Add "full loot".Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Player-driven economy

PvP & Full Loot

Territory control system

Sweet blatant advert in the middle of a conversation about another game.  Since we're on the subject; "full loot" is the dumbest thing in an MMO.  Want a tiny player base for your MMO? Add full loot.    "Death has meaning".   In real life, yes.  In a game? No thanks. 

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43
    I dont get it, IPAD//Surface//Android Devices should be powerful enough to run 2D Ultima Online instead of this ripoff? Why is it so standard to produce shallow crap to devices such as them?