Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online First Person View Gameplay and Interview

Comments

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    ^ sorry meant savage

As for "beating on other mmos you don't like"

I've actually played swtor, I found it very poor.

Have you actually played TESO? How can you form an opinion on something not even released. It maybe good, it may suck, no one knows, personally I think it will be slightly above average with an over reliance on instancing.

Just like you can form an opinion on it, not once have i said it will suck. I'm saying that what we have seen so far and that's hardly anything, it doesn't look impressive at all.

Slightly above average is not what ZeniMax are hoping for there game, if slightly above average make you happy then it's a pretty poor show on your part.

If slightly above average is what the mmo community are satisfied with then their is no hope for mmo's, seriously your attitude and acceptance of slightly above average mmo's is what's killing mmo's.

What you feel is average and what is top notch might be very different from others. I like graphics but it should not make that game it should be a result of today's technology. To me way below average gaming for a MMO is WoW, I believe it is way water down and dumb down and a insult to real gamers but that is IMO not necessarily yours. I feel Swtor is a horrible game but others say its the best game they have ever played.

People can assume ZeniMax is aiming for this or that but we dont really know until more data is out or we can talk about it on the forums from our own playing experience.

One of my fears is it will turn into a FPSMMO with no one playing Melee because you will die before you can even reach anyone. There are steps they can do to prevent that my hopes is they will.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I disagree, its your attitude that's killing them. What's pitching and moaning about stuff at this late stage going to achieve. At best they ignore it, at worst they start banging in some hastily rushed half finished features to shut people up.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I disagree, its your attitude that's killing them. What's pitching and moaning about stuff at this late stage going to achieve. At best they ignore it, at worst they start banging in some hastily rushed half finished features to shut people up.

I understand what you are saying but I hope to god they dont take those tactics when dealing with the public, "give them what they want so they will shut up" will kill any MMO look at SWG.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

The video looks really good and I'm looking forward to this game. The thing I'll probably miss most is open world PVP, because it actually makes the open world PVE experience exciting (you know, surprise factor and all that)... but, oh well, I'll take what the game has as long as it's good.

I'm digging the visuals and the crafting & fishing vid gave me further hope regarding the feeling of a TES world - which would be the primary thing I'd look for in a TES MMO.

As for comparisons to SWTOR, I'm not seeing it other than the fact that both are based on huge IPs. But the thing is, Star Wars is not a gaming IP, so if you're going to compare TESO with any MMO, it should be World of Warcraft, which was a gaming IP to begin with.

I don't dislike SWTOR, but TESO will probably be a noticeably more successful game. I'm thinking it's going to be big (not WOW-big, but big) unless they totally screw it up in tech, polish and service quality.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Yeah and they have a whole bunch of other people that worked on daoc, uo, coh, swg, and numerous other mmos.

As for the swtor team, well yeah they had a few people from war, mostly the people who suited the ea regime like Jeff hickman and gabe amangetello. e.g. drones not creatives.

Actually TOR had quite a few SWG/SOE devs. Dallas Dickinson and Gordon Walton are a couple examples.

(on topic) The first person gameplay looked great in that video.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nikopol

The video looks really good and I'm looking forward to this game. The thing I'll probably miss most is open world PVP, because it actually makes the open world PVE experience exciting (you know, surprise factor and all that)... but, oh well, I'll take what the game has as long as it's good.

You may or may not know that after you reach level 10, you can do all of your leveling in Cyrodiil, the PvP zone that also has PvE content. Mind you, everyone is either bolstered to 50 or is 50 there. So it's not quite like regular open world PvP... the gankers will also get to experience the "surprise factor" when the gankee hands their ass to them.

Cyrodiil is also supposed to be the largest zone of all...as in really, really large.

Will that do?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nikopol

You make a good point.
    Based on gaming ips - uo, wow, ff & upcoming TESO, elite 4, eq3 and star citizen

Based on non gaming ips - swtor, Aoc, war, lotro

Could ccps world of darkness be the one to break the cycle
  • LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Really looking forward to this game. I just hope it comes out before AA.  I am truly excited about the possibilities of my character in this game. I really hope this game succeeds. 
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Nikopol

You may or may not know that after you reach level 10, you can do all of your leveling in Cyrodiil, the PvP zone that also has PvE content. Mind you, everyone is either bolstered to 50 or is 50 there. So it's not quite like regular open world PvP... the gankers will also get to experience the "surprise factor" when the gankee hands their ass to them.

Cyrodiil is also supposed to be the largest zone of all...as in really, really large.

Will that do?

Yeah, that's certainly better than nothing. Usually I'm not that much into PVP myself, I don't go out of my way to seek it, I just like that added sense of danger when I'm questing, farming, fishing, etc. And getting ganked is no big deal to me, I just tend to laugh it off. Though if you can get some additional lowbies to take the high level ganker down, that certainly feels good. :)

But, anyway, having huge big contested zone with some PVE as well is definitely good. So here's hoping Cyrodiil will be enough of an interesting zone to warrant hanging out there for a really really long time. :)

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Wow that looks quite a bit better than the leaked footage did ^^  I'm excited.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Datastar
    glad they decided to put in real first person combat when they first announced it was going to be no weapons or animations in first person mode I was instantly not interested seems like they realized it was good to have and im interested again.

That's exactly how I felt.. Now I'm excited again!  Hopefully the fp view doesn't feel tacked on.  If it ends up being a viable option for all pve content, my hype will stay up.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

This quote stood out to me in another article today.

"Interestingly, Matt Firor told us that even the build we were playing is considered “old” within Zenimax itself. The build developers are playing is about two generations ahead of what the public has and will see throughout the summer."

So.. They're two versions ahead of what everyone is playing and will be playing in summer.. Does that mean maybe we *gasp* are on pace for a 2013 release? So the closed beta version is two versions behind what Zenimax is playing. So its not like the closed beta version is their latest version of the game.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Well the dev version usually is ahead of the release version due to internal testing and quality control. The only time that gap would be lost in any regard is when they have to implement a hotfix for something, and that's not necessarily catching up as much as just filling in holes.

So I'd hope that their dev version is ahead of their beta version, otherwise it'd mean they're making no progress. :p

Same really on it being ahead of their media versions. It'd probably be a bad move to showcase content in a half built state unless you're passing it off as a tech demo.

That being said, the fact they are maintaining progress on their builds is a good thing and the visible steps up in what's shown in each video is nice to see.

Honestly most my gripes exist in the realm of 'I would do it differently' so they aren't exactly something I can consider having merit past personal taste, and I don't personally think they particularly borked the lore at all, as strange solutions seems a normal approach with Daedra, so the only real task is to see what the end result is and have a romp.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by vladakov

Awesome, Thanks!

Looking great, i can't wait. I'm pretty sure this will be the first AAA-mmo based on an existing IP to become incredibly succesfull! Except for Warcraft, ofcourse. And not saying that the games are bad, but SW:TOR, ST:O, Matrix Online and some other IP based MMO's were certainly not an incredible succes.

The people working on TESO, they have some of the best/experienced people from the business.

So did EABioware

I really think this game can't fail ^^ 

The same was said of swtor, i bet you actually were one of those saying it?

What makes this game any different, don't say the IP lol.

Star Wars IP is just as strong if not stronger than TES.

If anything it's not IP based mmo's that have done better since WOW.

As for how the game looks and art style, it looks good. The problem is that no matter how good a game looks, if the animation are crap then how the game looks mean feck all.

ESO animation are some of the worst i've seen in any mmo, they were bad a year ago and they are even worst now.

You would think that a year down the road they would of improved, the game is six years in development and we are coming to the end.

The main difference is they are using MMO devs to create this game where as bioware used single player devs in a lot of the key places (the lead on the project had never been involved in a mmo before and neither had their lead combat designer), also beyond voice acting SWTOR didn't bring much that couldn't be found (and done better) in WoW.

TESO is designed to handle 200+ players on screen at any one time (swtor struggles with 30+), TESO has real time, aim based combat with no CD's on abilities (and unlike tera and neverwinter doesn't self root you every time you cast), TESO has one of the (if not the) most robust progression systems in a mmo with at least 20 skill trees per character with only 3 related to class choice (and thats without talking about ability morphs), has meaningful pvp with its own progression system (including 3 skill trees dedicated to pvp),  all in a world that is more interactive that most (if not all) other mmo's

So yeah it has plenty going for it that swtor didn't/doesn't

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by vladakov

Awesome, Thanks!

Looking great, i can't wait. I'm pretty sure this will be the first AAA-mmo based on an existing IP to become incredibly succesfull! Except for Warcraft, ofcourse. And not saying that the games are bad, but SW:TOR, ST:O, Matrix Online and some other IP based MMO's were certainly not an incredible succes.

The people working on TESO, they have some of the best/experienced people from the business.

So did EABioware

I really think this game can't fail ^^ 

The same was said of swtor, i bet you actually were one of those saying it?

What makes this game any different, don't say the IP lol.

Star Wars IP is just as strong if not stronger than TES.

If anything it's not IP based mmo's that have done better since WOW.

As for how the game looks and art style, it looks good. The problem is that no matter how good a game looks, if the animation are crap then how the game looks mean feck all.

ESO animation are some of the worst i've seen in any mmo, they were bad a year ago and they are even worst now.

You would think that a year down the road they would of improved, the game is six years in development and we are coming to the end.

The main difference is they are using MMO devs to create this game where as bioware used single player devs in a lot of the key places (the lead on the project had never been involved in a mmo before and neither had their lead combat designer), also beyond voice acting SWTOR didn't bring much that couldn't be found (and done better) in WoW.

TESO is designed to handle 200+ players on screen at any one time (swtor struggles with 30+),

So you have seen these 200 people on screen at anyone time. Talk is cheap, let's see this working, If not then it's just dev hype. After all the game is going to the end of the 6+ years development cycle, right?

TESO has real time, aim based combat with no CD's on abilities (and unlike tera and neverwinter doesn't self root you every time you cast),

And gain, what claim to fame is that, is that really what will make you put your hand in your pocket? TCOTS had this, ESO is not the first. 

TESO has one of the (if not the) most robust progression systems in a mmo with at least 20 skill trees per character with only 3 related to class choice (and thats without talking about ability morphs),

ESO is not a full blown skill system, go play DF for that. I can learn every skill in the game and use every weapon, unlike eso where class skills are locked into classes. So it's far from the most robust progression systems, also check out mortal online.

has meaningful pvp with its own progression system (including 3 skill trees dedicated to pvp),  all in a world that is more interactive that most (if not all) other mmo's

Meaningful PVP where the only gains is bragging rights and faction buffs and becoming emperor, i don't lose anything in PVP except my pride. Again go play DF for meaningful PVP and other full blown pvp games, even AA blows ESO out of the water for PVP.

So yeah it has plenty going for it that swtor didn't/doesn't

And this was never about ESO having more going for it than SWTOR which is a sad sorry game. My point is that nearly all of  these are just claims just like Matt's claim that no one has done open dungeons since EQ, really Matt lol.

As you can see i've killed most of your claims already, eso can't compete with a full skill based system like DF where i can learn any skill and use any weapon unlike eso where i can't learn any skill in the game.

I've played and got every single TES game to date, hell i've even got Daggefall on my Samsung Galaxy S4 through dosbox, i love TES.

I'm looking forward to this game but i'm not about to swallow the same sorry lines that every other dev says about there game.

Proof is in the pudding, until then no one can claim anything or have you played the game?

I learnt not to be a mmo journey man who hypes one mmo because he believes everything the devs tells him without actually seeing these things working. Then when that journeyman realizes that it's not what it says on the tim he quickly moves on to the next new shiny claiming that mmo is now the second coming because the devs told him so.

These people are killing mmo's and allowing devs to get away with the same old crap.

Sorry but a know ip is not enough to get my rocks off anymore, ive heard it all before.

Your post (you know the one i replied to) was exactly about you saying that teso doesn't have anything going for it that swtor didn't, you were the one that brought the swtor comparison up so I shot it down (successfully) and now your having to compare it to incredibly niche games in order to try and shoot my argument down (even tho my only argument was it brings more to the table than swtor does)
    Your post (you know the one i replied to) was exactly about you saying that teso doesn't have anything going for it that swtor didn't, you were the one that brought the swtor comparison up so I shot it down (successfully) and now your having to compare it to incredibly niche games in order to try and shoot my argument down (even tho my only argument was it brings more to the table than swtor does)

Nope you haven't shot me down, i've shot everything you have said down. You have missed the point why i said that, i wasn't talking about in game features. I was talking about how the dev promote there game and hype there game, we heard or the same type of hype from EABioware.

Perhaps you would do well to actually understand what people are talking about and in what context but nice try though.

The only person who got shot down was your silly claims that have been proven wrong.

Like i said, you need to take at look at fully skill based games and proper pvp games not fluffy bragging rights pvp where nothing is gained but faction buffs, bragging rights and becoming emperor.

Still waiting for you to back up your claims, you have obviously played the game, right? You wouldn't just take a devs word for it would you?image

You didn't shoot anything down, I pointed out the things that differentiate this game from swtor because you said "What makes this game any different, don't say the IP lol", you then proceeded to bring up niche games that had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted or replied to. If "shooting down" an argument to you is just talking more regardless of content then go ahead "shoot" away, but you seem to be confusing "shooting down" and "shooting your mouth off"

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152

I do understand ShakyMo and others, who mostly up to dedicated PVP and other typical MMO features. For them lore and some connections with previous title of the series are not that significant. They do not care about some features of this game that should give this game the right to be called “Elder Scrolls” . They just want a new MMO game to adore. I cannot tell them: “ Just choose some other game, this game only for real TES lovers to judge!” I cannot, no matter how I would like to. Especially when this game is not going in right direction to satisfy those lovers.

So, there are two groups of people here. People who would love to have another game in TES series. And they would even live with this game being MMO. And people who want some new MMO game, hoping it will be better than previous ones. And they would even live with this game being TES MMO.

I think this game will be total failure for TES lovers. It already is. It already sacrificed all most features defining TES.

I think this game will be total failure for MMO lovers. MMO concept is in crisis now. And this game is not offering anything new.

And more hype those lovers are experiencing now, more disappointed they will be later.

You didn't shoot anything down, I pointed out the things that differentiate this game from swtor because you said "What makes this game any different, don't say the IP lol", you then proceeded to bring up niche games that had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted or replied to. If "shooting down" an argument to you is just talking more regardless of content then go ahead "shoot" away, but you seem to be confusing "shooting down" and "shooting your mouth off"

Again, you are repeating yourself and still haven't backed up your silly claims, you got shot down.

Don't get mad, if you can't debate without losing it and accusing someone of  "shouting their month off" then you really have lost.

Back up your claims, you must of played the game, right? You can even PM me, i don't mind but don't get mad, it's a debate after all.

You might want to actually go through the thread and pick up the context of the debate as well, i think it will help you.image

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    A lot of actions in a multiplayer environment will have a single player impact, like only you seeing an NPC. I don't like this and it certainly wasn't what I imagined when I brought out the "what-ifs" while talking to my friends about a multiplayer ES game.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Love love love that the combat is starting to look like an Elder Scrolls game. The closer they stick to the ES combat the better.

On a bad note, he essentially said there will be no exploration like we come to expect from an ES game.

The game will be a standard mmo, overall I don't feel too excited for this one...

Whats to back up?

We have seen 100+ on screen in their intro vid last year, we have seen the real time combat in action in both official vids and those leaked from pax, we have seen the progression system in various leaks and read about them in hands on reports, the only thing I haven't seen with my own eyes is the PvP progression system, but even that has been explained in some detail (3 talent tree's, world wide buffs, rankings, and persistency).

Non of those things are or were offered by SWTOR

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152

Whats to back up?

We have seen 100+ on screen in their intro vid last year, we have seen the real time combat in action in both official vids and those leaked from pax, we have seen the progression system in various leaks and read about them in hands on reports, the only thing I haven't seen with my own eyes is the PvP progression system, but even that has been explained in some detail (3 talent tree's, world wide buffs, rankings, and persistency).

Non of those things are or were offered by SWTOR

Hey deacon

I have carefully read your post. I have found that you only think that  you have answered the question.

“I pointed out the things that differentiate this game from swtor…”

“TESO has one of the (if not the) most robust progression systems bluh, bluh, bluh”

“has meaningful pvp…”

“Things that differentiate” means you supposed to provide some features from both games, and then differentiate them.

I have not found anything about SWTOR, except in your first line, which is clearly made up.

If I would have penny every time I have read similar (going to be in a game) things about many other games in the past before their release, before they have  failed.

I do not care are you accurate or not about what you are saying!

I do not care are those the advantages or they will appear as  complete insignificancies.

It is not what makes game different.(You still didn’t get it?!)

If this game would look like one of the TES series, that what would make it different.

If you can rename the game and nobody will find it disgusting, that what make the game not different from others(including SWTOR).

All those games which we call WOW clones, they may have some insignificant differences, but they all are faceless WOW CLONES for us.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

I have a feeling ESO will be another flop game because it's focusing way too much on combat. Cookie cutter wow clone yet again.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel