Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Vroom and Doom

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Mounts in any game are some of the coolest things for players to earn and collect. In our latest ArcheAge column, we take a look at what we know about the game's mounts system. In addition, we dive into the rumor mill to attempt to make sense of a potential revenue shift in the Korean version of the game. See what we've discovered before heading to the comments to leave your thoughts.

I’m going to keep this week’s Archeage column relatively short for you folks. This is, in part, due to a lack of new information coming in. Speculation on a game’s future without confirmation or comment on a circulating rumor is also really mentally draining.

Two things up for people to view this week: one is a video showing off some new mounts for the game. The second one is my quick way of addressing a rumor that has popped up regarding a potential revenue model shift for the Korean version of the game.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s ArcheAge: Vroom and Doom

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Wow nice
  • JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

It seems that many US gamers will ignore a title coming from the east if they hear it will be F2P. I think Trion and XLGames should address these rumors right away or risk losing the wide audience they are seeking. Otherwise, people will see it as just another F2P, cash grab, grinder .. blah blah game.

Set the game completely apart from all the mediocre stuff we have been seeing the past couple of years or prepare to miss revenue targets at launch.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Part of me really, really wants to read this as "ArcheAge is not doing as well as hoped in the East" but if it is F2P or B2P in the West, then hopefully more people will enjoy it.

Hurray!

Unless, of course, it isn't as popular and doing as well in the East because it is not as good as many think it is supposed to be, which come on now - is always true.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Just put in the Mach Five, and call it a day.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Thanks for the article. The new mounts went on the live server on may 22, even the cars.

The black panther mount is the new pvp mount, and there is a new glider.

http://youtu.be/yXNZ5_r6U0I

and the cars

http://youtu.be/JG783f_FZho

As for the FTP, it's more like an unlimited free trial. Free players can play the game as much as they want, but have major restrictions placed on their accounts. Free players can't get labour points (so they can't do any labour skills), can't pay taxes (So they can't participate in anything), can't build houses or anything of the sort. More details will come in june, but it sounds like you might as well sub to the game.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Isn't this out already in Korea? It will go F2P very quickly I think, given the avalanche of converts eg Rift is going: The market perception is turning towards from if to when. That's got to have an impact on consumer choice?
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

So the Cars are actually mounts, and not some racing mini-game?

There goes my interest.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Originally posted by Mkilbride

There goes my interest.

Yes you can use the cars as mounts

http://youtu.be/BcKRfeh_fnQ

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Thanks for the article. The new mounts went on the live server on may 22, even the cars.

The black panther mount is the new pvp mount, and there is a new glider.

http://youtu.be/yXNZ5_r6U0I

and the cars

http://youtu.be/JG783f_FZho

As for the FTP, it's more like an unlimited free trial. Free players can play the game as much as they want, but have major restrictions placed on their accounts. Free players can't get labour points (so they can't do any labour skills), can't pay taxes (So they can't participate in anything), can't build houses or anything of the sort. More details will come in june, but it sounds like you might as well sub to the game.

This is how it should be IMO. If you don't want to sub then be prepared to lose out on some of the major thing in the game, ftp players want there cake and eat it to imo.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Cars really???
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Korea is in a world all to its own in MMO terms.  Not even Japan does MMO-Weird like Korea.  MMOs over there are ultra competitive and there are even laws that state how long you can play.

If there is even a hint of a F2P rumor then you can believe that they think the game is not up to snuff when you compare it to the already established MMO titles.  I think they still play original Starcraft in big tournaments...

Korean MMOs are there for the Korean people.  They put all that bizarre stuff in there and it makes sense to them, but foreign players scratch their heads.  Cars, Pirates, Guns, Panthers....whatever them you want you can probably find it within ArcheAge.

Western MMO players, mostly Americans but usually Europeans, are stickers when it comes to the lore of a game and the setting.  They really do not like mixing up different themes, the exception being the juggernaut that is Final Fantasy.

ArcheAge doesn't have a prayer of succeeding in the West.  I think they would be better suited to focus on Asia and the Eastern European (Russia) markets as it seems those two markets are more friendly when it comes to games like ArcheAge.

It would not surprise me if they delayed this game and just shuffled it out the door at a much later time, resigned to the fate that the likelihood of success in the West is pretty much nill.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Western MMO players, mostly Americans but usually Europeans, are stickers when it comes to the lore of a game and the setting.  They really do not like mixing up different themes, the exception being the juggernaut that is Final Fantasy.

ArcheAge doesn't have a prayer of succeeding in the West.  I think they would be better suited to focus on Asia and the Eastern European (Russia) markets as it seems those two markets are more friendly when it comes to games like ArcheAge.

They are concentrating on Russia and East  Asia before the west, they have just gone into beta in China and Russia will have AA before us.

China http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/05/archeage-new-trailer-as-countdown-to-debut-test-begins/   The Chineese are lapping it up with keys going for $160 usd on the black market.

Truth is imo XLGames don't really need the west.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327

Dropped a few notches on my interest meter

I have a hard time bringing cars into this theme, but different strokes I guess

Can't wait to see skateboards and roller blades with a new purchasable fashion accessory

An Ipod

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

Great more reasons for people here to qq and whine. While I agree wkoboldfodder said about the differences in east and west, I think it's sad that a little bizarre element in the game has so many people crying about it. (Not to mention it's been stated that the cars are powered by a world resource in the game) While people accuse Korean/Asian mmos for being the same, the lore and style of some western games aren't exactly far from cliché and boring either. But Asians are always the enemy in the eyes of mmos players here. lol.

It's already established that Archeage is doing well. Not as well as the larger titles but it's by no means failing. If the rumor is true, it's more of a business move, a slightly greedy one, more than anything. And if it ends up being f2p under Trion, they'll simply have to bring it with the handling of the game and the cash shop, etc.

There are enough fans of Korean mmos (not on this site, obvs) That will keep this game alive, but I realize the pessimistic view is popular here.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by faiyo

Great more reasons for people here to qq and whine. While I agree wkoboldfodder said about the differences in east and west, I think it's sad that a little bizarre element in the game has so many people crying about it. (Not to mention it's been stated that the cars are powered by a world resource in the game) While people accuse Korean/Asian mmos for being the same, the lore and style of some western games aren't exactly far from cliché and boring either. But Asians are always the enemy in the eyes of mmos players here. lol.

It's already established that Archeage is doing well. Not as well as the larger titles but it's by no means failing. If the rumor is true, it's more of a business move, a slightly greedy one, more than anything. And if it ends up being f2p under Trion, they'll simply have to bring it with the handling of the game and the cash shop, etc.

There are enough fans of Korean mmos (not on this site, obvs) That will keep this game alive, but I realize the pessimistic view is popular here.

Part of the enjoyment of MMOs for many people, including myself is the ability of the game to suspend disbelief.  When you mix and match eras with magic and technology, you break that suspension for many people.  It would be more believable if the entire game world setting was steampunk, but what they have is a hodgepodge of archaic and modern themes that clash rather than mesh together.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Cars in a high fantasy mmo completely turned me off to ever trying this game

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Would not be surprised if it went F2P in Korea, I know XL Games hoped AA will be huge Aion-like hit. While AA was not a flop at all, it is not monumental success - so I would not be surprised if Jake Song would try F2P. 

Anyway - 1-2 years ago when I did not have complete info on this game I had hopes towards this game, but when I see how it turned out, in regards to lore, few other elements and possible f2p - I won't play it and I do believe than in order to have any chance of survival in west it absolutely need to go f2p and even that may not give it a success here.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Part of me really, really wants to read this as "ArcheAge is not doing as well as hoped in the East" but if it is F2P or B2P in the West, then hopefully more people will enjoy it.

Hurray!

Unless, of course, it isn't as popular and doing as well in the East because it is not as good as many think it is supposed to be, which come on now - is always true.

I read an article that it is in the top 5 in Korea for popular MMOs if I can dig out  the article which was fairly recent Ill link it just like every other MMO out there starting off as F2P is more profitable, my worries is how are they going to handle cheaters, and hackers F2P doesn't deter people from just creating another account, which they should institute a CC ban after an account has been perma-banned, hence if you keep cheating , you eventually run out of CC to use hence no more accounts to be made.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Cars in a high fantasy mmo completely turned me off to ever trying this game

That's the problem, apparently it's not High Fantasy. Which was a shocker to me. People are saying it is steampunk.

Even though the cars sound like they have a combustion engine. In any case, I'll be following this game as a topic of interest but their art design and how they integrate the high fantasy and steam punk elements are not my cup of tea.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Does look a bit weird, an assassin jumping into his steam car and cruising the beach to a crappy pop melody..

That melody and the atmosphere in that clip reminded me of some of the bad kid programs on nickelodeon.

The Hariharans (eastern humans) are very much into steam punk technology and are characterized in part by their technological advancement, as well as their pragmatic work ethic.

Cars, airships, robots and all technological advancements that are rather familiar on the Eastern continent. There is even a massive zone that is a scrap yard on the eastern continent. So the Hariharan's have steam punk modern music vibe.

The Nuians (Western humans) have been nurtured by the eleves, so they have strong faith and conviction in the gods and use magic instead of technology. So the Nunians have a classical music vibe.

Now the world isn't perfect, there are some Nuians/Elves who desire the Hariharan technology, and vice versa there are some Hariharan who desire the magic of the gods.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

There goes my interest.

Same for me..  I have a few other games I'm looking forward to, so no biggie. 

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• DravenDraven Member UncommonPosts: 29

Hopefully Trion will do their research and realize the western marketplace doesn't want such an odd mix of fantasy and modern themes. Its a complete immersion breaking joke to most American gamers and they will never even pick it up after seeing videos like this.

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282
    I like that they are adding motorized vehicles. Although, that jump was stupid lol.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I hoped this was a joke...cars in fantasy?

Some might be okay with it, but i like my immersion taken abit more seriously.

This one's off my radar.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.