Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you want a next generation gaming console, then you want a PlayStation 4--and not an Xbox One

1235»

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I doubt I will buy either, but I think Foomerang is right.  I seen the video for the illumiroom and that makes me want xbox even if it's the weaker product.

That actually looks like shit to me and something I'd never care about. But they are thinking outside the (x)box, at least.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I understand that I'm getting older and less willing to adapt to new things, demonstrated by my avoidance of twitter for years among other social media but the one thing I always liked to keep up with is gaming. Based on what Quizzical has been saying the past few months about both consoles, the only real benefit to me is that Developers will finally upgrade the graphics on games and that will translate to the PC ported versions AND THAT makes me happy.

I'm still unwilling to convert to the console side, if I did, which I wouldn't, I'd have to say that the PS4 is the only one that makes sense, even if Sony can't keep their customers payment and privacy information safe, getting robbed by paying for Xbox live doesn't sound any better either lol.

I successfully avoided the 360 and PS3 without missing out and I was afraid they might give me a good reason to waste money on next gen consoles. Glad to see that it'll be no problem to skip this gen as well.

Worst case scenario is that the PS4 and Xbox one can keep up with the average mid-range to lower high-end gaming PC's of today? Then they'll make games for the next 10 years that'll run just fine on my current lowest end PC.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The biggest problem I have with consoles isn't the hardware. It's the closed system. It's the same problem I have with Apple devices, only consoles go to an extreme.

If rumors are to be believed, then the next generation will be even more restrictive than the current, with DRM becoming so pervasive into the system that I don't even want to touch it.

At least inside the Apple ecosystem, most programs cost well less than $1 - ok, I don't feel the need to be able to trade around a $0.99 app. Consoles that isn't the case, with $50+ releases being the norm. Sure, the production value may be a lot more than an iOS app, but $50 buys a whole lot of $0.99 apps. If I can't trade them around, rent them, borrow them, etc - the case for the $50 release is done for me.

And this applies to both Sony and Microsoft

If the price comes down significantly on the price of a new release - to the point where used sales are moot anyway (I don't think it needs to come all the way down to $0.99, but probably in the $15-25 range), then it's an easier pill to swallow. But $60 for a game I'll play through once (if that), that gives me on average 15 hours of play time (which is what most console games do - there are exceptions, but the vast majority once i've seen the story play through I'm done), no thank you.

I do like the convenience of having something in my living room. I bought a PS3 mainly for FFXIII (mistake) and to have a Blu-Ray player. I've watched exactly 0 Blu-Ray titles on it. Occasionally I'll turn it on (only to find I have 1hr+ worth of updates to do), and watch Netflix on it. I have an Mac Mini server also hooked up to my TV that gets used on a daily basis as my iTunes server, Netflix, Pandora, Amazon, etc.

We have a WiiU for the kid - he loves it. He mostly watches Netflix on the controller.... and plays free demo games (since he can't get far enough into them to get past the Demo lock on them yet).

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

The biggest problem I have with consoles isn't the hardware. It's the closed system. It's the same problem I have with Apple devices, only consoles go to an extreme.

You will be able to run Xbox one games on a regular windows computer, try that with ps4 game.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Definitely getting a PS4. I want a gaming console not a tv entertainment console.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Both will loose, to the PC gamers in the upper quadrant...

And the cheep mobile tablet gamers on the other hand.   My year old laptop (But then thats an Alienware) allready outperforms these systems.

And they are not much ahead of the Wii U either.

Edit ;  For those that dont understand, PC gaming has just been saved.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    They will both be bad compared to a current mid / high end pc though.

Say they cost £300, you can build a better pc for £600. Now people might think, double the price.

But then current old gen console games cost £45, where as Aaa pc games cost £30.

So within a year, if you buy a game a month, your better pc is costing you £420 when you take into account what you save on game prices minus the markup to Sony / microsoft

So if you buy a lot of games the pc soon works out cheaper, and will be more powerfull and will let you do all that non gaming stuff better than a console. And that's not counting all the steam sales, indie scene etc..

Agreed. I built my PC, it was cheaper to buy parts and build it my self than to buy it whole. Over all the PC is cheaper, xbox console players are mugs for buying it... I know because I bought 2 my self few years ago. So I talk from experience when I say PCs are cheaper. :P

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It's all about the exclusives.

I might go PS4 just for new FF and FFXIV on console, but if both are also on XBox One, then I'll go Xbox One all the way for new Halo and Fable.

I really could care less for what is going to amount to maybe 10-20% improved graphics.

I love the idea of controlling my TV with my voice and all the "one console to rule them all" stuff Xbox is doing.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Vidir
    Originally posted by Ridelynn The biggest problem I have with consoles isn't the hardware. It's the closed system. It's the same problem I have with Apple devices, only consoles go to an extreme.  
    You will be able to run Xbox one games on a regular windows computer, try that with ps4 game.

They said that about the original Xbox as well, and we still can't (legally) play those games on a PC. Instead, we got some crappy Games for Windows Live thing that never really worked right and no one really knew what it was supposed to do in the first place.

The original XBox was also a x86 (733 Mhz Pentium III chip), and it had nVidia graphics which was some place in between a GeForce 3/4.

There was even a rumor that Windows 8 would have native support to play 360 games, but that one is more far fetched, since the 360 is a PPC CPU, and games would have to be run under an emulator (although it isn't impossible). This rumor did sorta come true, although not really: What “Xbox Games on Windows” actually means

I'll believe it when I see it. And if I could play X1 games on a PC, why would I buy the console at all?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Vidir
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I doubt it, unless you merely mean that a lot of console games will get ported to PC.  A PC would be too easy to hack, and then single player console games would lose the anti-piracy protections that are the main reason for game consoles to still exist.

-----

I'm not saying that everyone should get a PS4.  The "if you want a next generation gaming console" is in the title for a reason--and with the assumption that some people don't want a next generation gaming console.