Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes: Early Access Delayed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: According to the latest information, the head start early access for Marvel Heroes is now live.  Get in there and save the world!

A short post by Marvel Heroes Online's Dave Brevik indicates that the early access for the game that was scheduled to being earlier today has been delayed. He promises that the team will not leave the office until the game can be played and is hoping that the required fixes will be in place in a few hours.

Late last week, we found some serious issues that we felt we could not launch the game with. The entire Marvel Heroes team has been working for the last 96 hours straight to get the game ready. This process is nearly complete and ask for your patience.

We always want to find these types of potential errors, so we’re glad we had the opportunity to fix them in advance of launch.

Read the full post on the Marvel Heroes site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

The reason I only bought a $20 founder pack. I hope they get everything running smoothly. The game is par at best IMO. I love the marvel universe though. So I will play it some.

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I'm a founder for the game but I always planed to play a little for a long time not dive in and play every second. Waiting longer isn't a big deal for me...wargame airland Battles is going live and that game is frighteningly addictive.

Glad they're fixing whatever it is before launch.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    are there people who are interested in this game?
  • mordicai052mordicai052 Member Posts: 15

They really crapped the bed on this one. From reading the explanations, it seems like they found this problem and have been working for the last couple days to fix it. Unfortunately....they didn't feel like telling the community until the pre-start for the ultimate pack was already overdue (thats the $200 founder's pack).

People seem more pissed about the company's lack of communication than they are about the delayed pre-start. Its not a great start, seeing as anyone willing to spend $200 on a founder's pack is probably the ones you would want to keep somewhat happy as they are probably your biggest supporters.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    I would rather have them fix the problem before the game launches..... I can wait a little longer, no big deal.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• colossus972colossus972 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Not off to a good start for the Ultimate Pack supporters. Why o why didn't I take the blue pill?!
  • Nostromo21Nostromo21 Member UncommonPosts: 76

As a beta tester of several months, as much of a Marvel fan as I am and as I want this arpg/mmo to succeed...I still have to say that it's 3-6 months away from being anywhere near ready for release. The main issues:

- BitRaider launcher/loader/patcher is a complete mess and disaster (use Steam to d/l instead if you can!)

- grouping/partying, chat, crafting all still badly broken or non-functional at the very end of the closed beta with the last patch anyone has seen

- mob balance broken since last patch (white trash mobs are significantly harder than blue/gold champ/boss mobs!)

- serious performance issues on anything near 'minimum requirements' - game runs like a wet, sloppy turd on any older PCs; area transitions are painful to say the least - wouldn't run the game on anything less than Win7/at least a recent gen vidcard (say series 5 ATI)/4GB+ fast RAM

- lower end h/ware will create additional freezes and 'black screens of death' during transitions into cut scenes - total PC lockups commonly requiring hard reset

- a plethora of bugs and glitches all over the place

The real shame is, that if everything was fixed & ready for launch, this would be a great arpg (ala Diablo), if you like this sort of thing. As it stands, I'm sorry I even pre-paid the $20x2 for two founder starter packs and really feel for the Ultimate fans who spent $200. Just not good enough Brevik - we, the testers, have been screaming these issues at you & the devs for *months*!!!

They say that right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. That's true, even for a blind man. ^DareDevil^

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Anyone who has paid for early access should be refunded some money or at least be given some store credit. When you've paid for access, not getting it is unacceptable....

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by mordicai052

They really crapped the bed on this one. From reading the explanations, it seems like they found this problem and have been working for the last couple days to fix it. Unfortunately....they didn't feel like telling the community until the pre-start for the ultimate pack was already overdue (thats the $200 founder's pack).

People seem more pissed about the company's lack of communication than they are about the delayed pre-start. Its not a great start, seeing as anyone willing to spend $200 on a founder's pack is probably the ones you would want to keep somewhat happy as they are probably your biggest supporters.

While early communication is always the best option, they may have thought that it could be resolved without alerting the general playerbase, but then ran into unexpected delays.  It happens.  These people are human too, you cant tell me that you have never been late on something you had to deliver.

• enrayenray Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by mordicai052

While early communication is always the best option, they may have thought that it could be resolved without alerting the general playerbase, but then ran into unexpected delays.  It happens.  These people are human too, you cant tell me that you have never been late on something you had to deliver.

Agreed to this, they have tried to resolve but turns our there's an unexpected delays. 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Anyone who has paid for early access should be refunded some money or at least be given some store credit. When you've paid for access, not getting it is unacceptable....

I doubt they will short change them on early access time. They will probably just push back the access date for the general public.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

They should prepare themselves for a bunch of money-back requests and charge backs on credit cards.  I really wouldn't blame anyone from wanting to do it.  With the lack of communication, and the launch delay, it's not looking good.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Idiots. That's all I have to say. Nobody will ever take them seriously now.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    -snip-
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Idiots. That's all I have to say. Nobody will ever take them seriously now.

lol..we almost need some drama music for your post.

I've been waiting for a year to play it. A few more days isn't going to kill me.

• DingoBoiDingoBoi Member Posts: 87

DamonVile, if you were in beta, you've already played the whole game.  Epic crash and burn!  Couldn't happen to a more inept group of people.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    heh i knew there will be proplems at lauch day. thats why i dint buyed ultimate pack, just avenger^^
    Originally posted by DingoBoi

DamonVile, if you were in beta, you've already played the whole game.  Epic crash and burn!  Couldn't happen to a more inept group of people.

Exactly. People have already been trashing the game non-stop. Now they just look like amateurs. Not being dramatic, being realistic.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

A lot of malice in this thread, and not just this one, also plenty of posts which reeks of troll. i guess that some ill mannered people need to vent their frustrations on these boards nowadays instead of engaging in a normal discussion...

I see absolutely nothing wrong in this delay, they spotted problems and decided it would be unprofessional to launch the game while it's plagued with certain issues, that is a good thing in my opinion, many developers just rush their products these days, just take look at Neverwinter, the game filled with holes for exploiters to find for example.

Bottom line is that anyone with common sense should applaud them for wanting to fix some bugs prior to release instead of lying to the potential player base, saying all is dandy and delivering unfinished and unpolished garbage at the same time.

No malice here. I wanted to see the game succeed.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627

Being a software developer (for nigh 30 years) I have much empathy for the team, especially on something that happens before a looming deadline... everyone in the software development business has had similar experiences. They did the responsible thing and worked through the weekend on it.

I just hope they reveal what they found as I'm personally very curious, but in all honesty they will probably keep their "dirty laundry" to themselves.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Ya know, this kinda sucks for those waiting to play, but maybe it will prevent something bad from happening *cough*neverwinter*cough*.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The game is not a MMO IMO.  Can't be when they force you to use their avatars.  

Games that fund strictly through the cash shop almost always end up pay-to-win.  While I like Marvel, don't think I will invest any time in this game the way they designed it.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I bought one of the $60 packs back when you could get $55 in currency with it so my early access starts on Friday (I hope)  but I do feel bad for those that spent $200.  I have not checked out the community forums since this was announced but I'm sure it's a mix of hate and fanboy's just like most of the other topics during closed beta.

I doubt very much  that they will push the release date back but they should do something for early access founders affected by this either with a exclusive item or cash shop currency.

As for the game itself yea it's not really a MMO in the traditional sense of the word and maybe it's not near as deep as a game like COH was but why does it have to be?  It's a ARPG and all in all a pretty decent one at that.  The heroes feel different enough from each other that it has a good deal of replayability in it.  My main gripe is the zones are not randomized enough so if you spend enough time in one area it starts to feel very familiar.  I never got to max level but hopefully those zones are more randomized.

At least the game doesn't try to pretend to be something it's not like so many of the so called F2P "MMO's" do.  It's advertised as a ARPG and plays exactly like it's advertised. 

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

The game is not a MMO IMO.  Can't be when they force you to use their avatars.  

Games that fund strictly through the cash shop almost always end up pay-to-win.  While I like Marvel, don't think I will invest any time in this game the way they designed it.

Their business model seems to be more focused around selling heroes and costumes rather than selling power.  Some hate the price of heroes and costumes but at least it doesn't have a real world money to in game money conversion option or some made up 2nd game currency who's sole purpose to is drum up store sales.

I can't say for sure it won't go more P2W over time and the slot machine boxes do concern me somewhat as does having to buy inventory space (two of my pet peeves with F2P/B2P) but overall I think it's cash shop is closer to a game like TSW where you are buying content (heroes and costumes) rather than some of the really bad F2P games.