Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Number of Active Players

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I just wanted to know if anyone knows the current number of active players to this game?  Is it over 1 million or close to it?

I know the game sold about 3 million boxes after release but how many are actually playing now?

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

no official information about it is available regarding it.

tho, considering the amount of players I run into nowadays in comparison with release date, I'd say maybe 40-60% less people from the initial rush... Which is still quite a good number I guess.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by korent1991

tho, considering the amount of players I run into nowadays in comparison with release date, I'd say maybe 40-60% less people from the initial rush... Which is still quite a good number I guess.

Any number given here is pure speculation, though whats for sure is that it does have far less than 3 million active players.

The game is still alive and well though.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    The GW2 wiki said right now it has about 400,000+ concurrent players...but even thats speculation since wiki info is not based on official info yet its a reasonable number.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

I would imagine it's just too hard to say.  I mean someone could have stopped playing for a month and then logged in to play for two hours.   Non sub  games just don't have the same quantifiable measures like WoW.

Judging from my server, Ferg's Crossing, it's doing ok.  I hit my first overflow in a while down in Southsun recently.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    747,392 at the moment
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by bliss14

I would imagine it's just too hard to say.  I mean someone could have stopped playing for a month and then logged in to play for two hours.   Non sub  games just don't have the same quantifiable measures like WoW.

Exactly. I just stopped playing for a month, then came back and am playing quite actively again. I suppose they could count the number of unique log-ins per month or something like that, but I guess the number isn't huge enough for it to make sense marketing wise. It's no Diablo 3, obviously.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by doodphace

Any number given here is pure speculation, though whats for sure is that it does have far less than 3 million active players.

Lol. I like how you say "all the numbers are speculation" then give your own estimate.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Lol. I like how you say "all the numbers are speculation" then give your own estimate.

Haha oh the internet

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by tkreep
    The GW2 wiki said right now it has about 400,000+ concurrent players...but even thats speculation since wiki info is not based on official info yet its a reasonable number.

its an official number -- an official launch number but who knows now?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-hits-400k-concurrent-users-before-launch/

despite subs giving a better idea,

just because you are subbed does not mean you are actively playing

i had a sub to WOW for 3 months but I only played for a few weeks - and was totally absent for 2 months

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I bought it, but I no longer play (back on gw1).

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The number isn't revealed and the only ones who would know would be ANET, and they won't post such information unless they felt the number was good enough to warrent posting. It could just be decent really and it wouldn't't be beneficial to post it.

Since its B2P and you can just count people logging on once a month as 'active' if they want which means if they do feel like posting numbers, its probably not going to be pretty bad numbers, using people who log on 5 minutes to 'peek' on the game as being 'active' for the sake of boosting appearances.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    400.000 concurrent players means 400.000 players logged in at the same time, that doesn't mean the game has only 400.000 players in total.

doubtful, Eve online has only 500k active subs, of which no more than 50k are online at any one time, for there to be 400k active players online then would probably have needed to have around 4 million active players..  its not unlikely that the 400k figure was unique accounts that logged in over a weekly, or more likely a monthly period.image

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I could also only find that link regarding 400,000 players.

If that is true than this is very disappointing  for a game which according to Mike O Brian was supposed to beat WOW and become number one.

Another guy who ate humble pie just like many before him.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Phry
    400.000 concurrent players means 400.000 players logged in at the same time, that doesn't mean the game has only 400.000 players in total.

doubtful, Eve online has only 500k active subs, of which no more than 50k are online at any one time, for there to be 400k active players online then would probably have needed to have around 4 million active players..  its not unlikely that the 400k figure was unique accounts that logged in over a weekly, or more likely a monthly period.image

You can believe what you want, it's still very clear... 400.000 concurrent players means 400.000 players logged into the game at a specific time, most likely the peak hour of course. Concurrent means at the same time, and not over a week or a month.

And is that really so surprising that many more people play GW2 than EvE? It may surprise EvE players who get their feelings hurt because some other game does better than their beloved game, but that's it.

so GW2 has more active players than it sold boxes for, sounds like they have a bit of a hacker problem image

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

According to xfire there must be about 400k-450k active players (and xfire is usually correct about those things)

Edit: xfire is right but my math was wrong. It's actually around 310k active players. I mistakenly compared it to the 3 mil total sales but I should have compared it to the 2.2 mil sales that GW2 had on the day it peaked (1 week after release).

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    According to xfire there must be about 400k-450k active players (and xfire is usually correct about those things)

More and more people use raptr than X Fire these days. If you want more accurate estimation check Raptr. But 400K sounds about right.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by boxsnd

sounds about right, and ties in with my own statement, but the argument was about concurrent players, which is another thing entirely. image

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    But raptr has rewards/promotions which alters the stats. Rift is nr.1 currently even above LoL because it has an insane reward.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Of course, we all know the game is failing and people are abandoning this game for whatever the favorite game is of the current thread poster on this topic.   We do this at least once a week around here , often more.  I have no idea on numbers as does anyone else here obviously, but I do know people love to hate on this and are constantly bringing this up, so it has hit a nerve. I will just continue to play.

I'm surprised XFire didn't come into play earlier. You know that when people start to use XFire or Raptr as reference for population numbers, nothing good will come out of a thread and you can consider it over.

It's a bit like only counting people with income higher than $5000 per month and pretending everybody is rich and poor people don't exist.

if i was going to use xfire to back up my reasoning, then i'd suggest that GW2 only had around 2k concurrent players, which is the figure on xfire, but yes, xfire is only used by a very small number of people, and i have little doubt that raptr is the same, i was basing my own statement on evidence obtained from Eve, which although a different genre of game, does however, give out information regarding active and concurrent player numbers, which does allow for a certain amount of 'extrapolation'. Even World of Warcraft, which claims to have over 8 million active subs, probably doesnt even have over 400k concurrent users, but thats another argument, but just because the 400K figure is probably the number of unique accounts over a weekly period, that is actually a pretty good number, all things considered. image

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

It's really not surprising GW2 hit 400K concurrent users during the head start. People are very active when a new MMO launches.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by tkreep

I just wanted to know if anyone knows the current number of active players to this game?  Is it over 1 million or close to it?

I know the game sold about 3 million boxes after release but how many are actually playing now?

I'd say stop worrying about numbers and just play it for what it is and have fun while at it. That's what I'm doing. Occasionally I get WvW queues on my world, I do dynamic events almost all the time and I'm almost never alone on them. Although to be honest I like pushing champions away to solo them :p Kinda like personal challenge ^^ 

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Not even with gw1 did they report the number of users online at the same time. Its not relevant for them to report that. What matters is sales to them.
  • keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Thank you Scalpless. Having 20-25% of people who bought the game online at the same time during the first week isn`t surprising at all and tells us nothing of the current activity.

Currently I think the leaderboards are the best judge we have, though still far from perfect as you can only see the top 1,000 people per server meaning 51,000 people who at least originally played a decent amount. Still because of pve and pvp dailies you could at least track the activity of those 51,000 people over a week or something.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Haha oh the internet

Because I gave a number right? I seem to recall stating that while nobody has exact numbers, the game did experiance a dropoff. I didnt frown upon speculation, only pointed out that nobody has official numbers. /Sigh