Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Blizzard's Titan Reset for 2016 & Official Statement

Comments

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I shook my magic 8 ball and it said the future was cloudy.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Meh, after the D3 nonsense I couldn't care less.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    I wonder if they decided to remake it due to the negative reception of Diablo 3?  Could Titan have been a similar experience?  There's no way to tell, but I think the possibility exists.

Yeah, maybe they've realized they can no longer bank on a different name with the exact same gameplay and be loved by the masses like they used to.  Perhaps the blowback from the D3 release rattled their cages and was a bit too close to home with what they were doing with Titan.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by kDeviL
    Originally posted by SBFord

This year's Blizzcon attendees hoping to finally hear more about Titan will be disappointed to hear that the project has been rebooted and is now looking at 2016 for release. Games Beat claims that a "source close to the project" gave them the information and that seventy of the one hundred employees on Titan have been reassigned to other projects for the time being.

Read more at Games Beat.

Wasn't titan first mentioned in 2007? =o

9 years is a long time lol.

I'm guessing that's why they need to make some technological and designing changes... Since it's in development for so long, some things are just not good anymore and some other mechanics are more desirable at this moment. They're just trying to adjust it the best they can and I support that. Better to have a good game which works as intended than just some half eaten bucked up together game so it makes some sales numbers :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Who wants to bet that they are switching their model from subscription base to free to play?
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    I wonder if they decided to remake it due to the negative reception of Diablo 3?  Could Titan have been a similar experience?  There's no way to tell, but I think the possibility exists.

Yeah, maybe they've realized they can no longer bank on a different name with the exact same gameplay and be loved by the masses like they used to.  Perhaps the blowback from the D3 release rattled their cages and was a bit too close to home with what they were doing with Titan.

It's difficult to imagine one ray of true hope anywhere in mmospace over the last nine years.

Maybe they're watching Smed, too. "Well, we don't have any really terrific ideas for the sophomore miracle everyone seems to be expecting. so umm...turning this audience of brats over to you other guys, good luck! *submarine dive horn*"

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    A game that doesn't actually exist or has even been officially announced got delayed and its still big news? Classic Blizzard.

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111

As long as I don't have spam my spacebar to "get on with it" I'll be happy. FireFall is the only worthy MMO available today and it's in beta.

Nothing comes close to impressing me.

What is Titan going to be about?

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I wouldn't want to compete with ps4 and eq3 launch either. Some times even blizzard has to realize that they are novice in the MMO market compared to SOE
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Disappointing news to say the least but oh well...not like we knew much to begin with.

I for one was looking forward to seeing what Blizzard had up its sleeve....which I guess was nothing.

Far as EQNext goes...was it in direct competition with it? I don't understand why Titan's issues being a boon to EQ?

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

To me it seems more they just lost their magic....

Diablo 3 - not good enough
    Cataclysm - not good enough
    MoP - totaly not good enough

Not same people working on all games, but Blizzard havent released 1 popping eyeball tripple A game for some time now....

Good designers set sail and know exactly where they are heading, Blizzard last 5 years ?
    Not so much.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I smell a vaporware legend in the making.

This is, for me, show that Blizzard is facing an existential crisis.  Of course, they are in good shape now.  In a couple years time, however, they will have completed their StarCraft II trilogy, they'll limp along with a now-decade old World of Warcraft, with nothing else.  Everything hinges on Titan.  You would think that the 800lb gorilla of online gaming, the one who took on Games Workshop and won, the most potent force outside of EA in computer entertainment would have a clear plan at this stage for a game that's so important for its future...and yet they have nothing to show after seven years.

Now there are two possibilities.  It could be that they were working on an assumption about what Titan wanted to be, but saw something recently that told them it wasn't going to work.  That's scary.

But what's even more scary is the other possibility: that when the Titan project team were compiling the footage for what they were wanting to show, it was just utter crap.  That's even scarier.

But maybe the most scary thing is that there was no Titan...it was all just coffee talk and rumor mill cooler talk...until they actually said they had something, and said they'd show it.

Any way you slice it, a slowdown at this stage is really troublesome.  This is the stage of the development cycle when energy is high, the enthusiasm is high and the need to hit the ground with the hype is strong.  If they experience delays now, just imagine what will happen when they actually get into the thick of it, having to lay code down for weeks on end and trace down fatal exceptions.  2016?  Try 2020.

But given Blizzard's problem of being "stuck in the 90s" with its unimaginative StarCraft and Diablo updates, it seems plausible.  This is not a company that knows how to innovate; it does a couple things very well and they stick with what worked.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• cyrerachielcyrerachiel Member Posts: 5
    Interesting news from blizzard. Looking forward for the launch of the game.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

^aye agreed 100%

From rumors alone it would have been a time travel mmo...
    From mythical to present to Future settings.

I woulnt like that kind of stuff tbh, but iam just 1 sheep in the flock.

If they go back to the drawing boards once more and scrapped their current plans thats a sign of not knowing what to do.
    This project Titan is so old now....
    Many WoW players are burned out and are looking to other options.

Titan could have filled that need, but now other mmo's on the horizon might absorb a large % of those players.

Wildstar / FF ARR / Archeage / Black Desert / Elders Scroll / ETC ETC ETC
    All good mmo's even if i dont like some of those.

Blizzard must also know that World of Warcraft was a 1 time only mega mmo, it wont happen again, way to many good mmo's out there now.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I agree that Wildstar is pretty well set now. But maybe Blizzard has something else up their sleeves for blizzcon.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    MoP was a lackluster effort, I'd venture to say they designed Titan with many of WoW's core features only to realize the game is seriously out of date. A smart strategic move but it may prove very costly if a block-buster comes along, I'm looking at you WildStar. 
  • BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by SBFord

UPDATE: MMORPG.com reached out to Blizzard Entertainment and received the following in reply:

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We've always had a highly iterative development process, and the unannounced MMO is no exception. We've come to a point where we need to make some large design and technology changes to the game. We're using this opportunity to shift some of our resources to assist with other projects while the core team adapts our technology and tools to accommodate these new changes. Note that we haven’t announced any dates for the MMO.

This year's Blizzcon attendees hoping to finally hear more about Titan will be disappointed to hear that the project has been rebooted and is now looking at 2016 for release. Games Beat claims that a "source close to the project" gave them the information and that seventy of the one hundred employees on Titan have been reassigned to other projects for the time being.

Read more at Games Beat.

If Blizzard have stated 2016 for a release then it's no where near ...... they nip and tuck at their games for years just making them super slick, so with that in mind 2017 / 18 would not be impossible. Also I think that originally they felt that they could run both the WOW franchise and the new Titan MMO at the same time and a couple of years ago this seemed plausible. However things are changing at the moment for them and cracks are starting to appear and losing significant chunks of player base over the next couple of years would hit them hard and so I reckon they are going to do a little tidying.

It would not surprise me that with the likes of Wildstar coming out with all of it's housing and multi - features with a more modern engine and being 'similar' in terms of style to wow has made them slightly nervous. Warcraft is still incredibly popular, though needs upgrading and that I think is basically what they are now going to do with the employee shift. Completely overhauling the graphics and character rendering, then adding housing alongside a real warhorse of an expansion could most certainly maintain their market share. A couple of new races would also not go amiss with maybe a level grind that could miss out a lot of current and over familiar material.

Titan is an unknown even for them and so of course has a risk factor .... it could fail, probably won't but pinning all of your futures on it is just ridiculous when you already have the best MMO IP on the planet. World of Warcraft 2 or 'World's of Starcraft' would be worth pursuing .... they could merge the two really and through in some 'adult' Diablo dungeon's where you have to be a proven over 18 to play would be great. 

The theory of Titan being based around World History past and then a 'possible' future with time travel etc sounds brilliant and I am sure it will make an excellent MMO... but they already still have one that they would be fools to let crumble. So I will imagine we will be getting some huge announcements regarding WOW in the very near future...

I can also see them really going for a Playstation 4 / Xbox One MMO ....basically WOW for the console in the light of present reveals.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    They just left a huge door wide open for WildStar
    ^^^
  • DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135
    More like they're reworking the game from the ground up to be based entirely around a RMAH since it worked so well for another game it took them 10 years to make
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

My guess is because of the recent popularity with sandbox design and the broad disenchantment with linear story-driven themeparks.  I bet Titan was loaded with phasing and cutscenes and annoying pop culture references.  Insead, looks like Blizzard is going to step back and watch these new AAA sandbox projects launch and assess the results and popularity, then go back and re-design Titan.

Smart move, Blizzard.

Pretty much what i thought. This could be a good thing.

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Come on Blizz. Chinese Democracy took lest time to release than this.

And look how that ended up!   lol!

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• stokkerstokker Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Except! Except! There is one thing that conceptually tops WoD: INFINITY! :))
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    MoP was a lackluster effort, I'd venture to say they designed Titan with many of WoW's core features only to realize the game is seriously out of date. A smart strategic move but it may prove very costly if a block-buster comes along, I'm looking at you WildStar. 

I think you're probably quite close to the truth but I don't think Wildstar will be the game to watch, EQNext is what I'm pegging my hopes on for a future blockbuster.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    This REALLY makes me hopeful for EQNext, on a personal note.

Yep this is the one im realy waiting to see more of, cant wait till August personly.

I see SOE taking risks and trying new thing and experimenting but all i see blizzard realy doing recently is coping stuff from other games and polishing it up, im yet to see an original idea from blizzard it 10+ years but maybe they find somthing original with Titan but it would surprise me if they just delayed it so they can copy thing from EQNext since SoE keeping it in dark atm so they couldnt get there ideas, this is my option so dont get me wrong its just my personal option on blizzard and SOE.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Coolit
    Originally posted by Panzerbase

I think you're probably quite close to the truth but I don't think Wildstar will be the game to watch, EQNext is what I'm pegging my hopes on for a future blockbuster.

Have to agree, EQNext is what many of us are looking forward to.  Hoping that SOE can again become a leader in the genre.

I think that Blizzard had another themepark and they realized it was dated even before release.