Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Titan put on the back burner, 2016 release at the earliest.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/28/blizzards-titan-mmo-delayed-reset?abthid=51a53c74fda91d400200001e

apparently the game is being rebooted(was probably WoW 2.0) and they have assigned 70% of the team to other games while it gets reworked.

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    With this post, I hereby certify that I have speculated about what the game was, why it has been rebooted and why this proves $dogma.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Sounds like their financial analyst team projected that WoW can still be juiced for a few more years, so they reset Titan to be WoW2, release only when WoW is finally over and done with and ready to be shut down.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

starcraft ghost part two

vaporware

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

When I saw 2016 I thought that was long time.  Than I realized it's 2013 and I feel old as hell. 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

It's a brand new iP, not Starcraft or WoW 2. What you all don't understand about that.

the current WoW developers may be kind of stupid when it comes to game design, but that's because most of the brains were moved to Titan's development. 

And I am sure Titan's developers had some interesting ideas, in which they figured would be pretty much a niche experience if they launched it in today's society, which would doom the game. So they going back to the drawing board to revamp it for more modern day MMO gamer's appeal, which seem radically different than how it was a few years ago when project Hydra was first announced.

the brains at Blizzard know they need more modern day trends or fail like many recent MMOs have like SWTOR for example.

also it may had originally been designed for P2P which they know is a dying market in the next year or so. So they redesign from the ground up to be Sub Free.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I'm wondering if they looked at the landscape of MMOs out currently and saw that Titan wasn't different or unique enough to really compete -- if they were doing sci-fi, there's Wildstar, SWTOR, Defiance, TSW, Planetside 2, Firefall, and if they were doing fantasy, there's GW2, TESO, Neverwinter, TERA, Rifts etc.

I wonder if they decided to go back and do WoW2, and leverage all the lore they already have invested in their crown jewel.

Originally posted by MMOExposed

It's a brand new iP, not Starcraft or WoW 2. What you all don't understand about that.

It WAS going to be a brand new IP, but article now says they are RESETING

Should probably read the article before you come down on commenters.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Titan IS a new IP. When they say that they are rebooting it, it most likely means the same thing SOE did with EQNext where they trashed everything and went back to the drawing board. It happens.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    WoW 2.0 would be so worth it so, take your time blizz.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Titan IS a new IP. When they say that they are rebooting it, it most likely means the same thing SOE did with EQNext where they trashed everything and went back to the drawing board. It happens.

It could be new, it could be old, point is they haven't specify about the nature of this "reseting".

So all the other posting that it might not be wrong, and I personally won't be so bold as MMOExposed would have and say other people are wrong in this instance.

We are all just guessing at this stage.

Originally posted by Stizzled

I imagine it will still be a new IP. Blizzard has spent years conceptualizing this new IP, I doubt they're going to just toss it out. I'd say they're redesigning the game mechanics but the IP will stay.

Don't know - they might if their financial analyst projects that the Warcraft / Starcraft will make more money than a new one.

Of course all these are just speculation anyways.

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128

If they are going back to the drawing board, I doubt they can finish it in time for 2016. They started working on Titan in 2008, 5 years ago, and now going back to the drawing board. I predict Titan is postponed till 2018.

Also, keep in mind that WoW has still a lot of juice to be milked despite losing millions of subs which allows them to take their time.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Awesome move by Blizzard.

Titan wasnt meeting Blizzard's expectations so instead of just releasing it anyway they delay it.

I can think of more than a few MMOs that have come out recently that I wish had done the same.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

Even if wow is losing subs, it's still making a crapload of money.

So why would they release a game competing with it?

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

Probably because some executives are busy trying to come up with some new monetization methods...

I'm not playing GW2 even though I liked GW1 because I thought Anet got lazy... Blizzard isn't even on my radar after D3, and HotS, let's just hope they make 10 games between than and now that redeem themself before this one comes out, cause right now nothing they release would get my consideration.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

also it may had originally been designed for P2P which they know is a dying market in the next year or so. So they redesign from the ground up to be Sub Free.

P2P is far from dying. Many publishers who tried to take away WoW's playerbase failed because they couldnt create an equal quality experience within the same size and scope as WoW. They often try to copy but do a poor job at it, and by this time gamers have already been oversaturated with the "traditional" mmo cookie cutter experience, that something more needs to be done.

There is more risk in making a high quality game thats f2p than a low quality game thats f2p.

I dont see Blizzard going f2p as their name ID alone will get them millions of customers. They know their fanbase will give them money for their products, and f2p would be dumb for them with that kind of guaranteed revenue stream.

Any delay in Titan is most likely due to the impending sale of Activision Blizzard.

• MaNiaGGMaNiaGG Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Awesome move by Blizzard.

Titan wasnt meeting Blizzard's expectations so instead of just releasing it anyway they delay it.

I can think of more than a few MMOs that have come out recently that I wish had done the same.

how can you delay something that had no eta anyways? ;)

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Disappointing news to say the least but oh well...not like we knew much to begin with.

I for one was looking forward to seeing what Blizzard had up its sleeve....which I guess was nothing.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Did any other Blizz fans find a few of the statements in the article worrying?

"We've always had a highly iterative development process, and the unannounced MMO is no exception. We've come to a point where we need to make some large design and technology changes to the game"

1. Have they been travelling down the wrong path ALL THIS TIME and have only just realized it? If their development process is so highly iterative where have they failed and why?

2. Because they started working on this project back in 2008 is the Titan concept already too old and behind current times?

"Blizzard's to-be-announced massively multiplayer game, codenamed Titan, has allegedly been rebooted and delayed. According to VentureBeat, the Blizzard team of 100 reassigned 70% of the project's staff, leaving a small team to start over"

I'm finding this statement hard to swallow. Blizzard are renowned for taking alot of time to develop a game (D3 for example). If they are starting over how will they complete a game in three years? Why drop 70% of the staff working on the project if there is so much to do or are they really at a loss with what direction to take presently?

Or.....Can we put it past them to release a false statement like this? This technique is used particularly well in the military when new recruits are doing their basic training. Get their morale/hope up then drop it and bring them up again to a higher level. I guess we'll have to wait till Novembers Blizzcon to see but I'm crossing my fingers for them to announce that things are back on track for a possible 2014 launch. Blizzcon and  a large portion of the MMO community would erupt into euphoric rapture.

Rhinotones.

• kamenriderkamenrider Member Posts: 41
    I'm done with mmos until WoW2.
  • Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by Ortwig

[snip] if they were doing sci-fi, there's Wildstar, SWTOR, Defiance, TSW, Planetside 2, Firefall, and if they were doing fantasy, there's GW2, TESO, Neverwinter, TERA, Rifts etc. [snip]

Hey now, lets let Firefall decide what type of game it's going to be, before we give it any labels like MMO or Sci-Fi.

I'm sure they've narrowed down their genre to Shooter so far, at least. :)

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Surprised no one mentioned Blizcon yet..  Wasn't the announcement of "Titan' going to be their big thing for this year, now what?  If this article is correct things don't bode well for Titan's future..  Having spent 5 years in development, and now doing a reboot? WOW!!!!!  Maybe Blizzard is realizing that designing a game to be a themepark hamster wheel wouldn't be in their best interest.. Recent games such as Rift and SWTOR, are good examples.. I suspect most WoW subs stay there, because of attachment issues, but I doubt many would jump thru those same hoops again with a new game.. IMO
  • krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106
    The gaming market is so primed for a great  MMO to be released . WHat ever company gets it right first and soon will become the next big super game. If blizzard wants to gamble they can be that in 3 years despite all the other games coming out between now and then, i believe they will loose out. I do believe even if they arent the next super game they will still be very big none the less. We'll see if the gamble pays off big , Superbig , or maybe not at all!
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Lol at some of you thinking blizzard is intimidated by any of the upcoming/current games out there. Technically the only thing blizzard would have to do with titan is make a highly polished MMO to beat the majority of trash out there right now.

The only game to even scratch the surface of WoW in the past 8 years is GW2 and it doesn't have 1/10th the active players, on a non sub game. Ponder that for awhile and rethink your answers.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Even though a lo of mmos are medicore, meaning its no challenge for the right devs to profit from a good idea like wildstar, but it already sounds like blizzard is making a mistake. They can release an mmo that is a compliment to wow but differentiated from wow.

it would be a genius move. The first benefit of having an mmo that is similar to the other is sharing achievements in both games. So players of wow can take their gold, lore unlocks,mounts etc to the new mmo.

The new mmo should be completely different, and offer an experience that does not take away from wow. Wow is a themepark, and has pvp ladders, raids, and other themepark attraction. However, the new mmo should be a sand box mmo. They can a bit of story, but that would come from wow.

Instead the new mmo should be about the open world, exploration, player cities, npc armies controlled by players like a strategy game. Npc alignment. 

There should be gambling and mini games. Wow won have that, but this should. This should be an adult rated mmo, but not about nudity but to include better graphics, mature stories/language, blood and gore and ofc gambling.

Blizzard making another eso, or eso meets wildstar... It wont do well without it being a Warcraft/starcraft product.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”