Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is so GOOD about the Final Fantasy games?

TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

I have been playing MMO's for years and I know nothing about this franchise. I have never played any of the Final Fantasy games. So, this is an honest question, can someone tell me what is so GOOD about the Final Fantasy games?

Is it a sandbox/theme park?
Is questing/story telling superior?
Are the graphics/FX astonishing?
Are the classes well developed and balanced?

I have never liked the Asian art style (and the Pokemon type pets) but I don't base a game only on it's art style. What is the attraction to the game? Should I be playing this game?

Thank you.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Try some of the single players games, I recommend Final Fantasy 6 and 7.  What I loved about the games is the unique kind of fantasy worlds they create because they are different from the typical tolkien type fantasy...Some of them are heavy on the sci-fi and some are heavy on high fantasy and some can be very steampunkish.  And also its always been about the story and character design for me too especially the kinds of villains the series has.

Final Fantasy 7 is on the PC but if you decide to try it just remember its pretty old so the graphics arent that great anymore and be open minded about the combat system because its not real time.  I say 6 and 7 because in my opinion they had the best story and characters in the series.  The newest in the single player series 13 has great graphics and I recommend trying that too but its prolly the most linear of the series.  Final Fantasy 12 was the only with real time combat.

And if you like turn-based strategy games I highly recommend Final Fantasy Tactics, great game.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Chocobos.

Final Fantasy Tactics.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

While not being a fan of the series to the extend of some, I can see the appeal of the game especially the upcoming MMO FF:ARR, the art style and musical score are very immersive.

A lot of peoples draw to the series is waxing nostalgic to the earlier works from the Nintendo/SNES games which eveolved the story to the FF games we know today. For some this is a religion..

Comparing this to other "asian" games is a bit of a misnomer... it is like comparing Japanese food to chinese food... While Japanese tend to use the finest and freshest cuts of fish and meat, the others will just use the lips and assholes and whatever else is left over from what they sell off to the other countries.

It is a Japanese "stylized" game in it's truest form, and while the last FF MMO was a bit of a flop it was mainly due to the fact that they tried something completely different from what was considered the norm... I myself did not like it.

$0.02

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• chase17tnchase17tn Member Posts: 93
    Not sure if the mmorpgs are good FF11 came out on the ps2 online like 2005 or so and been out since then so im sure its dated looking. fav single player FF game has to be FFIX aka ff9 great story and end also the chars were really cool.

made by nonny
    and
    made by Braggi

thanks both u guys

Originally posted by Wighty

While not being a fan of the series to the extend of some, I can see the appeal of the game especially the upcoming MMO FF:ARR, the art style and musical score are very immersive.

A lot of peoples draw to the series is waxing nostalgic to the earlier works from the Nintendo/SNES games which eveolved the story to the FF games we know today. For some this is a religion..

Comparing this to other "asian" games is a bit of a misnomer... it is like comparing Japanese food to chinese food... While Japanese tend to use the finest and freshest cuts of fish and meat, the others will just use the lips and assholes and whatever else is left over from what they sell off to the other countries.

It is a Japanese "stylized" game in it's truest form, and while the last FF MMO was a bit of a flop it was mainly due to the fact that they tried something completely different from what was considered the norm... I myself did not like it.

$0.02

Unless your talking about FF14 version 1.0, Final Fantasy 11 was no where near a flop, it started with 300k-500k subs and slowly rose to 2 million by 2009 but of course the subs dropped since 2009 but still not enough for it to go f2p like every other AAA mmo since WoWs release.  Square even stated that it made them more money than any other in the series.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

They used to have a really good level of complexity.
    Final fantasy 7 materia system was a good example, Being able to pair any combination of magic to get a duel effect. also the final fantasy X sphere grid is the most robust system in the series to date.

Quest chains that were involving.
    Doing certain tasks to unlock some weapon or item were real fulfilling. examples: gold chocobo, airships, limit breaks, weapons, summons.

Exploration
    Back when they had the overworld (and thus openworld) you could go exploring and find other towns and cities. what's better, is those cities actually had upgrades so it was ritualistic to go to the weapons or magic shop to see what new abilities you could acquire.

Memorable moments.
    In the middle of the series they had some really good plots and characters that you look back on and think, "yeah that was a good time playing that" then, they switched to a more 'dramatic' approach where you just wanted to stab the characters eyes out.

I could go on and on about ff series...but ill stop here.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

They used to have a really good level of complexity.
    Final fantasy 7 materia system was a good example, Being able to pair any combination of magic to get a duel effect. also the final fantasy X sphere grid is the most robust system in the series to date.

Quest chains that were involving.
    Doing certain tasks to unlock some weapon or item were real fulfilling. examples: gold chocobo, airships, limit breaks, weapons, summons.

Exploration
    Back when they had the overworld (and thus openworld) you could go exploring and find other towns and cities. what's better, is those cities actually had upgrades so it was ritualistic to go to the weapons or magic shop to see what new abilities you could acquire.

Memorable moments.
    In the middle of the series they had some really good plots and characters that you look back on and think, "yeah that was a good time playing that" then, they switched to a more 'dramatic' approach where you just wanted to stab the characters eyes out.

I could go on and on about ff series...but ill stop here.

One of the most memorable moments is Celes and Locks Opera Scene in FF6.  And of course Aeris getting stabbed in the back by Sephiroth in FF7.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by chase17tn
    Not sure if the mmorpgs are good FF11 came out on the ps2 online like 2005

Try 2002.

I can tell you what's so good about the MMO. 

Every class on 1 character.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    All these old memories made me think of Emerald and Ruby from FFVII (least favorite of the FF series post NES, but that's a different story)
  • LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Well as for the FF MMO side goes. It has superb pve content that really no one other mmo out there can compete with. Wanna play an mmo that has more than raiding to it? Play FF and you will never run out of things to do. In my opinion that alone sets it apart from anything else out there.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Thank you all for your responses! I can tell you are passionate about the game and it's history, good and bad.

This gives me an idea of what I am missing.

Of course, the reason I am asking is because I can't decide whether I want to try FFXI or not..... maybe I should start with the single player games first from the past.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I actually recommend FFV it is the game FFXI was sculpted from.FFVII set all the records and cost a ton of money to develop but i like FFV better and FFX.

FF games have so many firsts in the rpg genre including first multi platform online game FFXI PS2/PC and Xbox.First and i believe still the only game with a language translator,no localization,everyone plays on the same server.

FF created the sub class system ,a brilliant idea.Also created the various ideas on Tactical points or BONUS attacks ,i guess is a better way of describing it.I am sure they got all their ideas from single player games over the years "or maybe not" but in online they are firsts.

FF games just have so much depth,they are not simple play through's and  in case of online,it was not a simple speed level and concentrate on end game,there really is no end game it just keeps going.For example in FFXI,there is no way you can completely finish a player it would take years and years.Many call it grind but Square likes to keep the idea of "RARE".

Square Enix has however changed a lot and imo it all has to do with the massive hit and mistakes they made with the new game engine.I commend them for at least doing it,Blizzard is still using ancient software and they have millions of dollars.

I see the same corner cutting  from Square now that i see in all the other developers games and i don't like it.I feel it is going to take quite some time before Square feels comfortable again "profits" and returns to the depth of game design they are known for.The newest Seekers expansion is the biggest slap in the face yet,just an awful effort there.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Originally posted by smokedogg311
    Well as for the FF MMO side goes. It has superb pve content that really no one other mmo out there can compete with. Wanna play an mmo that has more than raiding to it? Play FF and you will never run out of things to do. In my opinion that alone sets it apart from anything else out there.

So it's mainly PvE?

How is the crafting?

Besides questing and exploring........ what else is there to do?

Is it based on lvls or skill building?

Is the PC version have console type controls?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It's basicly turn based combat with a lot of cinematics if that's what you like then you'll like any FF game.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by Tokken

Thank you all for your responses! I can tell you are passionate about the game and it's history, good and bad.

This gives me an idea of what I am missing.

Of course, the reason I am asking is because I can't decide whether I want to try FFXI or not..... maybe I should start with the single player games first from the past.

I suggest playing the single player titles and maybe watch the two Final Fantasy CGI movies to get the feel of the series. Then try A Realm Reborn when that goes open beta.

Final Fantasy Spirits Within Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu0Dz_IzuTs

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by Wighty

Unless your talking about FF14 version 1.0, Final Fantasy 11 was no where near a flop, it started with 300k-500k subs and slowly rose to 2 million by 2009 but of course the subs dropped since 2009 but still not enough for it to go f2p like every other AAA mmo since WoWs release.  Square even stated that it made them more money than any other in the series.

Yes, was referring to FF14 1.0, not 11

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Tokken

Originally posted by smokedogg311

So it's mainly PvE?

How is the crafting?

Besides questing and exploring........ what else is there to do?

Is it based on lvls or skill building?

Is the PC version have console type controls?

Final Fantasy 11 prolly has one of the most complex and difficult crafting systems, but you dont have to stick to just one type of crafting profession...raising crafting skills is very slow and costly because theres a chance at failure for whatever you try to craft but there are ways to reduce failure.  There are difficult raids that go up to like 50 man.  There is a small form of PvP. Its based on level progression. There is housing too but its instanced and you can only design the interior.  You can also garden in your house for materials and such.  And crafting/gardening critical success and failure rate also is effected by moon phases and certain days of the week (in game time).  You can play the game fine with keyboard and mouse but using macros is recommended.

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134
    wow I have been playing ff games since they came to northam, I stopped when I went pc I think it was around ff9. But reading the posts in this thread, has got me thinking I might try out aar, ff is definitely a classic in the rpg genre. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
  • deerstopdeerstop Member UncommonPosts: 31

I liked most of FF games, with FF8 being my favourite. They're the ultimate and best (imo) jrpgs on the market. I usually like the plot, pacing, atmosphere, music and game-play (esp turn-based fights, I also loved complex character development system in FF10). Graphics of every game was indeed superior in comparison to other games of that time. Recent FF games - meh...

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

Most of the posters here pretty much nailed it on the head. Personally the Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (american releases) on the SNES were my alltime favorite but I also enjoyed 7 9 and 10 a lot as well. The single player ones that came after 10 (12 and 14) were extremely blah in my opinion.

I been a big mmo player for a long time as well but I never did try FF11 out, I was pretty much stuck on original EQ for the longest time then most unfortunately WoW for far to long : I did have the chance to try out FF14 ARR during the latest closed beta testing phase and did actually have a lot of fun with it, just don't see it being worth a sub so much with todays mmo market, theres so much else thats just as good or better out there that are all b2p or f2p with good business models. If you don't mind paying the sub though the graphics are great, the storytelling is great as always, the class system is good with the job system, and crafting/harvesting is a lot of fun being its more indepth and involving than your standard mindless click a recipe and click craft and your done system.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

I could write a book about what made FFXI the greatest game I have ever played. I don't have time for that and I hate that some of you didn't get to experience it. Aside from what you can find on wiki and reading others thoughts about the game, I will leave these here. This along with hundreds of other things I loved about FFXI. 

Wish I knew how to embed videos here.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    FF 1-7 were the best of all time. FFX+ I could easily have lived happier without ever hearing about, let alone trying. But I did try and the whole feel of Final Fantasy was lacking for me. Especially in FFX when they started using a goddamn volleyball as a weapon lol
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

Here is my favorite video. Pretty much FFXI in a nutshell. Enjoy :)