Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: The Look & Feel of Daggerfall

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    "I have to admit something horrible for those who dearly love Elder Scrolls"

I salute you, Suzie. Anyone who dearly loves The Elder Scrolls, does not dearly love Skyrim. They dearly love Morrowind.

I would say that Morrowind was the better game though I am still actively playing skyrim. I've also recently loaded up Morroblvion and Morrowind.

However, here is an interesting rebuttal to the "dumbing down" video that many of us might have seen.

He makes some very good arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEI4yS7sFEw

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    [mod edit]

If it's true to the series then there will be a loading screen. Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall.. all have loading screens.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

Here's what I don't get: The author has only played 1 hour of Skyrim...perhaps one of best titles of the Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind likely top). And she's raving about it like she's some sort of ES expert.  Anyone with even a passing interest in the ES series has played upwards of 100 hours of Skyrim, let alone played hundreds of hours in the other titles. The fact that this game impresses a journalist so unfamiliar with (and dare I say not interested in) the ES series, is hardly a winning review of the potential ESO.

The more ESO relies on neophytes to carry its water, the more I'm put off by this game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If the game was true to the series it wouldn't have group dungeons, auction house and many other features.
  • ChrispyChrisChrispyChris Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Draron

Is there no tradeskill for weapons? Why did they lock it away for 2 a character, I always liked that I could train every skill and complete every storyline on one character in an Elder Scrolls game. It's not like we can't make alts to defeat the whole purpose of 'stimulating an economy'.

Er... no you couldn't - in Morrowind, you had exclusive factions without exploiting bugs, so there were questlines that weren't accessible. Not many, but there were some. 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If the game was true to the series it wouldn't have group dungeons, auction house and many other features.

Exactly, so it's pointless saying "if the game was true to the series" because it's meant to be an mmo even from one account at no point did the game play feel like an mmo.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    As in sports the saying works here "If you listen to the fans, you will become one."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lectrocutielectrocutie Member Posts: 5
    People really get worked up over a video game. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

If it were true to the series, it wouldn't be an MMO. That is not the point however. The point is how do you translate the series into an MMO without sacrificing the core feeling of the series.  From what I've seen so far, it's just an MMO with an ES skin...and some people are eating it up. These people will leave their last MMO with X skin that they raved about for this new, shiny one...all the while fans of the ES series and X series are left with a hollow shell of a game.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157

Oh my, the "achievements". I can't stand silly stuff like this feature. Books? Most players won't even read them at all. Hopefully there is lots of PvE fun. New MMOs become a ghost town after 2 or 3 months because of the same boring features and quests, every player looking the same, etc.

I want to be able to craft armor or weapons that can't be easily obtainable in open world from trash mobs or not available at all unless you get a blueprint/recipe. Things like this make me stay longer in the game world.

gameplay > graphics

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Cool article, thanks for the info.

I don't get the hate for TESO in here. I can understand a little apprehension as it is the first TES game in the MMO world but most of the dribble on here attacking the game makes me think there is an agenda against the game.

I dare to wager that most of the haters are on here are on a rival games payroll.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by furbans
    Let me know when TotalBiscuit posts a review/interview of ESO as he is the only creditable critic out there over most of the laughingstock of "critics" that perpetuate "objective reviews."

Would be true if not for the whole planetside 2 debacle and it being a shitty Call of Battleside 2.

MurderHerd

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Vorth, How did you cone to the conclusion of "forced pvp"?

Have you read a darkfall review by mistake?

They keep reiterating in every article and interview on how PvP IS the end game focus of the MMO.  That is where I draw that conclusion and as you seem to follow every thread about the game, you should have noticed that as well.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Omgz
    I just hope that when I run into a forest I run into a forest.... not a tunnel. that sort of thing totally ruins these new age mmos for me.

Yeah and my question still hasn't been answered by Suzie, i guess it's bad news or i'm sure she would of answered by now.

I'll ask again just in case she missed it.

Suzie mentioned about entering peoples homes, the question is:

Can i enter houses or building like i can in Vanguard, meaning do the doors open and i enter or is it like Age Of Conan where i have to load into buildings.

Suzie's  refusal to answer this tells me it's the latter.

I really, really hope she doesn't answer you now.

Why, it's a fair question asked in a fair way, i haven't been rude, it's the third time i've asked and Suzie has been back in this thread since the first time i asked.

Suzie said she entered houses so why can't an answer be given?

If it's true to the series then there will be a loading screen. Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall.. all have loading screens.

And they are not MMO's lol, if the game was true to the series it wouldn't have PVP, right?

So no point in trying to answer the question unless you have played the game.

I hope Suzie can answer the question because loading into building in a mmo is immersion breaking just like in Age Of Conan.

Immersion is a state of mind. If you can't overlook a loading screen.. then you can't overlook staring at a monitor to see the world. If you can overlook things like using a mouse to control a character then you are obviously just being selective in your immersion criticism. Why aren't you demanding virtual reality and motion control of the game as well? The only thing breaking immersion is the way you 'choose' to approach it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    They should out of the box offer compatibility with the oculus RIFT

especially to show off the first person view

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Rukushin
    They should out of the box offer compatibility with the oculus RIFT

especially to show off the first person view

lol, they just released Occulus Rift to developers. Its going to be a bit of time before we see a consumer version. I don't want this game to be held up for Occulus Rift, but I totally agree with you, its my dream to have that type of immersion in an MMO or single player RPGs like Skyrim :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Vlacke

The more i read about this game the less i want to actually play it simply because the game reeks of a lot things which are miles apart from what an Elder Scrolls game should be in my opinion.

Heavy focus on PvP, locked factions (you will apparently be able to quest in other faction regions but will not see said faction players on screen....who the hell thought that was a good idea to begin with?) and similar things just don't cut it for the majority of ES series fans which is a shame indeed, they could have hit the jackpot with this IP in a MMO surrounding.

PvP focus: I'm not a big fan of PvP, but I'm not sure what sense it makes to say it's not Elder Scrolls, considering there's never been a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game.

Locked factions: I think we'll see NPCs that are in a faction other than the one their race supposedly ‘belongs to’, but I think restricting them on the player side is the right choice if you want these alliances to have different demographics at all.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by keithian
    Thanks for the impression. [mod edit]

I for one love that the game seems to be a lot more interactive compared to other recently released MMOs and I like the fact that they aren't heavily going with cutscenes. I also like that the character customization seems to be very detailed from what I read. I also like the fact that the difficulty seems a little harder and that quests feel like quests. All good signs to me.

Difficulty harder than what mmo? I never played it yet. I'm just saying its a good sign that someone wrote that it isn't too easy because in other MMOs in beta, the too easy route is always more concerning to me than too hard. Its just my opinion in hopes that this MMO is challenging even at the beginning levels. I'm hoping that others who play will say similar things and I will feel that way when I play.

Quest feel like quests compared to what mmo? In games like WildStar, more than one previewer wrote that there is a lot of generic fetch X Deliver Y quests (or maybe that was from leaked beta articles, I forget). I'm not going to bother posting sources because you should know how to google. I have more confidence in ESO that the quests will have more depth (even for fetch quests) than rip off games like Wildstar which appear to deliver nothing new (though I'll try it to see if I'm hopefully wrong). Similar games like the other game they made called Aion (heard of it?), the PVE questing had zero depth. I couldn't take it past level 20 without yawning every time I logged in. I don't have the same concern with ESO's quest style. GW2, though to me a good game, also didn't feel very in depth with the questing. The personal story seemed very much made for children. Seeing a pattern here? NCSOFT=No Story Depth.  They suck at story for the 2 games of theirs I have tried.  ESO has the potential for more depth IMO. 

I also realize story doesn't make a game, but I have cautious optimism that ESO will be a lot more than story and lore.

A lot more interactive compared to what mmo? Like just about every themepark out right now? Do I need to make a list for you? ESO is trying to make the environment a little more interactive knowing it can't be as interactive as Skyrim (which is single player), but more then games like GW2, TOR, Rift, Aion, etc where everything is painted but you can touch anything. Do a little research as I shouldn't have to explain what this means.

But it still has cut scenes lol. My point is that the whole game won't be cut scenes like TOR.

You do know that GW2 and SWTOR are not the only mmo's released over the last two years, right? Yes, I am aware, I have tried several games, whats you point?

If these are the things that make you put your cash on the table then the mmo community have no hope. Must you be insulting just because someone posted their opinion of something they read?

I not putting the game down but these things are hardly claims to fame Yes, you are, in just about every post. 

It's the same dribble we heard about swtor, these very same people gave swtor glowing reviews, right? So now any game you don't support to the end of time will be compared with SWTOR if it gets positive feedback? Sounds kinda monotonous to me and pretty illogical.

My responses in green:

There Is Always Hope!

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by Vlacke
    Originally posted by GamersHeroes

"Even with only an hour of Skyrim under my belt, the city of Daggerfall felt familiar."

What? Skyrim and Daggerfall are entirely different regions of Tamriel and Daggerfall doesn't even feature in Skyrim...

This.

Bill is apparently very new to the world of Elder Scrolls and to the games in which said world is featured, therefore he gives this game somewhat unfounded praise in his article.

Unless the developers were dumb enough to make Daggerfall a copy of Skyrim, which would boggle my mind but it is not unexpected entirely from the guys who thought AvA and faction lock are just what people want in their ES experience, Daggerfall simply cannot and most of all should not feel "familiar" with an hour of playtime in Skyrim under your belt.

At guess he means the style of art work and colours for the game. If you look at a wilderness screenshot of this game you would know it was a ES game and not some other game like AoC or Neverwinter.

Also devs have said that players can learn all the trade skills but only be good at one or a jack of all trades. If you become a jack of trades then your not going to be making high end gear like you would if you concentrate on just the one trade skill.

• Sk8trdudeSk8trdude Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I am one of those that want to explore and quest this is very much my type game. I cant wait reminds me if eq1 the fie first and true mmorpg that kept us all missing work skipping weekends with friends or just being up for a few days. I am excited.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Sorry, Suzie, but not playing Skyrim because of the UI is ...  well it's understandable one way, but it's crazy another.  Everyone knows that Bethesda's UIs are awful garbage, and that modders have to go in and fix it (and countless other screw ups).   It's the nature of the beast. 

It's why many folks wait a while to get their copy, or even wait for the GOTY.   At that point the major flaws will be fixed, and you'll have different designs to choose from .

Sadly, I think the online version will suffer from it's Dark Age of Elder Scrolls parentage, probably rejected by both sides of the family.   But the addition of first person and other similar moves show that they aren't completely working in a vacuum.    Sadly, if they screw ESO up, modders probably won't be able to fix it.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Thanks for the impression. [mod edit]

I for one love that the game seems to be a lot more interactive compared to other recently released MMOs and I like the fact that they aren't heavily going with cutscenes. I also like that the character customization seems to be very detailed from what I read. I also like the fact that the difficulty seems a little harder and that quests feel like quests. All good signs to me.

Difficulty harder than what mmo? I never played it yet. I'm just saying its a good sign that someone wrote that it isn't too easy because in other MMOs in beta, the too easy route is always more concerning to me than too hard. Its just my opinion in hopes that this MMO is challenging even at the beginning levels. I'm hoping that others who play will say similar things and I will feel that way when I play.

That's right, you haven't played it so it's just like you said, your opinion but you didn't actually say it was your opinion, you said "i like the fact" which is not the same as having an opinion. There is no proof or evidence that the game is more difficult than other mmo's.

Quest feel like quests compared to what mmo? In games like WildStar, more than one previewer wrote that there is a lot of generic fetch X Deliver Y quests (or maybe that was from leaked beta articles, I forget). I'm not going to bother posting sources because you should know how to google. I have more confidence in ESO that the quests will have more depth (even for fetch quests) than rip off games like Wildstar which appear to deliver nothing new (though I'll try it to see if I'm hopefully wrong). Similar games like the other game they made called Aion (heard of it?), the PVE questing had zero depth. I couldn't take it past level 20 without yawning every time I logged in. I don't have the same concern with ESO's quest style. GW2, though to me a good game, also didn't feel very in depth with the questing. The personal story seemed very much made for children. Seeing a pattern here? NCSOFT=No Story Depth.  They suck at story for the 2 games of theirs I have tried.  ESO has the potential for more depth IMO. 

I also realize story doesn't make a game, but I have cautious optimism that ESO will be a lot more than story and lore.

Again you have no proof or evidence that quest in eso feel like quest compared to other mmo's, you are going on what you have heard. 

A lot more interactive compared to what mmo? Like just about every themepark out right now? Do I need to make a list for you? ESO is trying to make the environment a little more interactive knowing it can't be as interactive as Skyrim (which is single player), but more then games like GW2, TOR, Rift, Aion, etc where everything is painted but you can touch anything. Do a little research as I shouldn't have to explain what this means.

I'll repeat it again, how is eso a lot more interactive than other mmo's and yes if you are going to make such claims then you should be able to tell us or me how you come to this conclusion, have you played the game?

But it still has cut scenes lol. My point is that the whole game won't be cut scenes like TOR.

Cut scenes are cut scenes, the game has them or it doesn't, that's a silly claim to fame and journalist hype that unfortunately you have fell for.

You do know that GW2 and SWTOR are not the only mmo's released over the last two years, right? Yes, I am aware, I have tried several games, whats you point?

Point is you are making the claim against other mmo's, that would put every mmo into the fray.

If these are the things that make you put your cash on the table then the mmo community have no hope. Must you be insulting just because someone posted their opinion of something they read?

Well you didn't actually say it was your opinion, you said "i like the fact" fact is not opinion.

I not putting the game down but these things are hardly claims to fame Yes, you are, in just about every post. 

No i'm not putting the game down, i'm just not prepared to fall for dev hype or journalist hype. How many other mmo's have you claim are all these things, GW2, SWTOR ? You will be one of the first bto complain when you realize the game is not quite what it says on the box and move on to the next new shiny.

It's the same dribble we heard about swtor, these very same people gave swtor glowing reviews, right? So now any game you don't support to the end of time will be compared with SWTOR if it gets positive feedback? Sounds kinda monotonous to me and pretty illogical.

Read the above yellow.

My responses in green:

My response is in yellow.

Hype is the killer.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    You know if a new music album was comming out soon, you wouldn't be 'skeptical' about it, you would either fancy it and eagerly wait for it, or simply wait and look it up when it comes out. Being so pointlessly negative in a meaningless forum about a game you have not played is rather weird, it's a bit like standing in a queue to see a film and moaning out aloud for everyone to hear that 'this film is crap I'm not going to enjoy it'

I agree buddy

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"