Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: The Look & Feel of Daggerfall

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

During a recent E3 preview event, we managed to spend tons of times in and around the Elder Scrolls Online location of Daggerfall, a place familiar to fans of the series. Find out what we discovered during our hands on time before heading to the comments to continue the discussion.

Daggerfall is socially enabled and is designed to be a gathering spot for players. There are crafting locations, dungeons, side quests and exploration to be had within the city walls itself, not to mention outside. Exploration is key. One interesting tidbit we were told is that there are Skyrim-like achievements for finding and reading all the books in a given location and much more. It’s definitely worth the taking the time to sniff around if that’s your thing.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Elder Scrolls Online: The Look & Feel of Daggerfall.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

The more i read about this game the less i want to actually play it simply because the game reeks of a lot things which are miles apart from what an Elder Scrolls game should be in my opinion.

Heavy focus on PvP, locked factions (you will apparently be able to quest in other faction regions but will not see said faction players on screen....who the hell thought that was a good idea to begin with?) and similar things just don't cut it for the majority of ES series fans which is a shame indeed, they could have hit the jackpot with this IP in a MMO surrounding.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Pretty sure the above writer gave swtor the same glowing reports.

Less talk and more action is needed, show us the public these things because what we have seen so far is below average.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

From Massivey's interview:

What kind of tradeskill training can you do?

There's cooking, armorsmith, enchanting, and then alchemy. You can deconstruct things, which is how you gain skill, and you can refine things as well, sort of the same as in Skyrim.

---

Is there no tradeskill for weapons? Why did they lock it away for 2 a character, I always liked that I could train every skill and complete every storyline on one character in an Elder Scrolls game. It's not like we can't make alts to defeat the whole purpose of 'stimulating an economy'.

The last video of interacting with the world and such got me slightly looking forward to the game again after many disappointments, but this initial impression left by Massively and MMORPG.com are making me stray away again.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

The fail is strong with this one.....
    He not know much about critics...jedi he want, sid he becomes....

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

this is serious stuff baby!!! the lore the loooooore.

J/K anyways, gonna buy and play this game even if it flopps or not.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

More and more interested, and I'm actually digging the visuals. A bit more stylized than your ordinary TES game, but I prefer it that way.

The big thing for me is how the endgame PVE and crafting will be. RVR on its own tends to get old relatively fast for me.

• BobaFettBobaFett Member UncommonPosts: 4
    More read about game, then more im sure i stay in Single version forever. Tell me, how i can explore secrets lands when after 5 minutes i see "mental kid" who jumping like rabbit with nick "iMAw3nsome". Another way, you open gate of city and... can't find thief guild? Because there is "no on start game"! Im sorry, then about what is this game like is not secrets organizations, politics etc. No thank you, for pvp i have EVE online, where i dont have restrictions for factions or decisions. Elder scroll it's Role play game for me! World of secrets and legends. No another World of Clones with new engine. Of course im sure many players can find simply fun in this game, but im old Elder series player, and Zenimax just rape my heart.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Vlacke
    Originally posted by GamersHeroes

"Even with only an hour of Skyrim under my belt, the city of Daggerfall felt familiar."

What? Skyrim and Daggerfall are entirely different regions of Tamriel and Daggerfall doesn't even feature in Skyrim...

This.

Bill is apparently very new to the world of Elder Scrolls and to the games in which said world is featured, therefore he gives this game somewhat unfounded praise in his article.

Unless the developers were dumb enough to make Daggerfall a copy of Skyrim, which would boggle my mind but it is not unexpected entirely from people who thought AvA and faction lock are just what people want in their ES experience, Daggerfall simply cannot and most of all should not feel "familiar" with an hour of playtime in Skyrim under your belt.

First: I didn't write this article, Suzie did.

Second: I took it to mean that the game itself felt like an Elder Scrolls title, even with her limited exposure to the series.  YMMV, and Suzie can comment further, but that's how I read it.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Well, at least their bows are stringed and I love the grass and flowers detail.  That kind of attention to detail, if it applies to the rest of the game, bodes well in my book.  I can easily overlook the action style combat for a living and breathing game world.  My only real concern is the forced PvP for end game.  If I can't enjoy meaningful PvE end game, then there is little chance I'll buy or play this game.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

^

My mistake on the author of the article, i apologize Bill, however the critique stays.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

The most crucial thing that concerns me is the performance and the optimization of the game and how well it runs on high end machines.

Yes you heard it right i have a high end rig and while all of the games play super smooth meaning more than 90 fps to nearly 120.The latest Mmorpgs are very bad optimized and they run like crap excluding wow.

Swtor runs normal to  terrible depending how many players are near,rift runs terrible gw 2 runs moderate and world pvp is nearly unplayable if you dont lower your graphics

The most important thing about a game is it's gameplay and gameplay cant exist without a respectful framerate.on heavy situations were mostly is needed.

So my question is.Is this damned game optimized or are we going to suffer from eye bleeding again?

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

"Even with only an hour of Skyrim under my belt, the city of Daggerfall felt familiar."

What? Skyrim and Daggerfall are entirely different regions of Tamriel and Daggerfall doesn't even feature in Skyrim...

This.

Bill is apparently very new to the world of Elder Scrolls and to the games in which said world is featured, therefore he gives this game somewhat unfounded praise in his article.

Unless the developers were dumb enough to make Daggerfall a copy of Skyrim, which would boggle my mind but it is not unexpected entirely from the guys who thought AvA and faction lock are just what people want in their ES experience, Daggerfall simply cannot and most of all should not feel "familiar" with an hour of playtime in Skyrim under your belt.

It isnt Bill previewing ESO this time, Its Suzie Ford. But yeah that comment is laughable.

Just another Promo Advert for ESO

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Originally posted by BobaFett
     No another World of Clones with new engine. 

That's a good description of the game imo.

I would like to ask Suzie if doors to building opened up like in Vanguard and you just step through or they are like AOC where i have to load into the building?

And then you have the quest where you save the king and get a weapon, lol so everybody else will be running around with the same weapon.

How is that making the player feel like the hero?

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Game looks awesome. I can't  see any other fantasy mmo to be competitive with TESO. Nice job Suzie, do not listen to haters, who cares what they write anyway.
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Elder Scrolls Online: The look and feel of a mediocre Themepark MMO

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Vorth, How did you cone to the conclusion of "forced pvp"?

Have you read a darkfall review by mistake?
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I'll be trying it for sure. For those that won't be, why bother even writing and wasting your tie on here, go write about games you intend to play and follow those instead of reading all this on a game u wont play.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

Originally posted by khameleon
    I'll be trying it for sure. For those that won't be, why bother even writing and wasting your tie on here, go write about games you intend to play and follow those instead of reading all this on a game u wont play.

This is an open forum where any member can comment on any game, If you want nothing but adulation for the game then stick with the current official forums. There you can get nothing but love for the game and people who will hand over their money just because of the IP.

Don't like the comments then stay out of this thread, it's quite simple.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    I'll be waiting on the next TES single player game.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Familiar with an overall 'feel' to the aesthetics of the game. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Originally posted by SBFord

Familiar with an overall 'feel' to the aesthetics of the game. :P

Can you answer my question please?

Do the doors open like in Vanguard and i can just step through without loading or is it the same as Age Of Conan where every building i enter uses a loading screen?

You must know this because you mentioned entering houses.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Can't wait to try this game at Gamescom!

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

The more i read about this game the less i want to actually play it simply because the game reeks of a lot things which are miles apart from what an Elder Scrolls game should be in my opinion.

That's because it's not an ES game, it's an ES MMO.

You people will complain about anything...image

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    This is why games should be funded to have a clear vision rather than a systematic analysis of what justifies large investments. The only good thing for certain seems to be the potential of a well developed engine for large scale pvp.

Everything else seems to be alright but not what i would want.

What i would want ; one character different paths. There can be story, and each story unlocks different abilities but its all on one character. If people want to make another characters they can do it due to different outcomes in stories, npc alignment and hopefully extensive character customization.

Crafting should be the same. We can learn all crafts and craft the best items. Make it complex.

Sand box. This mmo should lean more towards a sand box mmo. There should be player housing, guild castles, cap points, destruction and mayhem. Which ties in with the crafting.

There can be some safe zones from the pvp, like early game or story mode quests. Other than that it should be a sand box mmo, and have player bounties, gambling, mini games, duel arenas, and even allow player made content other than player cities/building in general. Maybe allow for music playing as well. Blood and gore.

There should be paths just like wildstar as well. They are doing a great job.

I think by making class stories the only themepark part of eso, and everything else in the open world would the right style for such an mmo. The problem is that eso players are not mmo vets in the analysis of these mmo devs. However, with making content more about achievement instead of stats, then pvp is not annoying but a challenge in the world when progression is horizontal and not vertical in a non existent race to end game. Then the devs are more focused on making the content of good quality instead more of the same when one character can do it all.

At the same time they could have a pve server, that has no open world pvp, or player bounties and still have a lot of content. Maybe open world raids/ world bosses. Dynamic events etc. and end game would have mini games, possible instances of warzone caps instead of a sand box version in the open world.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by topographic

That's because it's not an ES game, it's an ES MMO.

You people will complain about anything...image

Well this is massively E3 preview.

"Here's the part that intrigued me: At no point did the gameplay experience resemble an MMO"

That sounds familiar, SWTOR anyone?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/28/massivelys-pre-e3-elder-scrolls-online-preview/#continued

If you don't like other peoples opinions then you are on the wrong forum