Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage... are we going to see a new publisher step up (doom and gloom included)

13»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Cothor
    If you consider having an eye for quality and knowing what works in the US an issue.... well yes I do. There is a reason that every other major Asian title hasn't had long lasting success here, and the reasons I listed are most of it.

i doubt the figure is as low as 1 percent, but, you do have a point about asian games art styles not being very popular in the west, which they very clearly are not, but its not the only reason why most asian games don't make it in the west, as imo, its also down to the style of gameplay, their pretty much all of a sameness. Which imo, has a lot to do with why games like Aion, Lineage, Tera etc, just didnt make it outside of the asian market. image

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I was in closed beta for Rift and Alpha for both End of Nations and Defiance. EoN never appealed to me from the start and I'm not surprised it wasn't a success but I did buy and play Rift for six months as did many others, so I'm sure they made plenty of money there already. I also bought Defiance even though I'd already completed all the story missions and side missions in testing so knew it wouldn't have much longevity. However, it's a buy to play game with a fairly high initial price and undoubtedly they already made a huge profit form the initial sales, which were quite healthy whatever the exact figure.

I doubt Trion have too many money worries.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Be careful what you wish for...

I'm sure if the price is low enough, someone like PerfectWorld will be delighted to add AA to their growing stable of F2P titles...

DONT SAY SUCH THINGS LOL. I want to play this game, and if perfectworld buys it, I am def out 100%.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by DMKano

Ridiculous speculation, delivers on doom and gloom, but fails in reality.

Dev studios trim the temps, contractors and redundant positions post launch. Defiance had a hard launch date on 3 platforms, the number of staff hired was simply too high to maintain. The last couple of months prior to launch, they were still hiring aggressively.

One little fact that is missing, Defiance is out of San Diego, AA will be localized out of Redwood city which had no layoffs this time.

But ignore all this, lets all go back to making up more drama.

I dont know what is more ridiculous, the OPs doom and gloom or the hopeless optimism that these layoffs were just the usual contractors/temps being let go.  they are both equally removed from reality I think.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Dev studios trim the temps, contractors and redundant positions post launch. Defiance had a hard launch date on 3 platforms, the number of staff hired was simply too high to maintain. The last couple of months prior to launch, they were still hiring aggressively.

One little fact that is missing, Defiance is out of San Diego, AA will be localized out of Redwood city which had no layoffs this time.

I dont know what is more ridiculous, the OPs doom and gloom or the hopeless optimism that these layoffs were just the usual contractors/temps being let go.  they are both equally removed from reality I think.

Or its a reality and they are being hush hush about it. It takes an average of 6 months for asian material to be brought ot the western people. Its been 4 months now and not a single word...........no closed beta, no messages from jake or trion, no information at all, no vidros......

You kind of think about such a huge game and nothing said on it, only leads to speculation with good reason. Will not buy into all the personal hopes and beliefs on this one.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I had high hopes for AA then i looked at Black Desert and forgot about AA.
    Altough FF XVI and WIldstar catches me interest alot atm.
    Dunno what happend to AA but for some reason i lost my interest in it completely.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by kevjards

your maybe reading too mch into the layoffs at trion..its inevitable that companies lay off people after release of a game..they always downsize.its too early in defiances release to come to a conclusion if its a failure or not..i suppose time will tell.

Downsizing so early into release of game when they have scheduled DLC releases? why more successful games like GW2 never downsize. Something to think about.

i may be wrong but a DLCs that arent even 1/4 the size of a full expansion dont need a full team of developers. Like i said, i may be wrong.

As for Arche Age itself, well it seems its already going F2P in Korea so i hope it launches in the west  as B2P like GW2 and maybe optional sub. So if someone else has to take the bull (AA) by the horns i would say NCsoft. Closing down CoX isnt enough reason for me to hate them.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Onomas

Or its a reality and they are being hush hush about it. It takes an average of 6 months for asian material to be brought ot the western people. Its been 4 months now and not a single word...........no closed beta, no messages from jake or trion, no information at all, no vidros......

You kind of think about such a huge game and nothing said on it, only leads to speculation with good reason. Will not buy into all the personal hopes and beliefs on this one.

I remember when I played DDO regularly before f2p when the game updates were getting further and further apart and the fans were asking the dev's why and there was nearly complete silence especially when the updates just seem to stop. This lasted a good 6 months if I remember correctly then BAM Turbine announced the f2p conversion and a little while later Codemasters announced they were losing the license. So we shall see if I'm mad as a march hare or bang on the money. They could just be holding back as the rumors of AA going f2p in the east could be true and that changes things for Trion.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Onomas

I remember when I played DDO regularly before f2p when the game updates were getting further and further apart and the fans were asking the dev's why and there was nearly complete silence especially when the updates just seem to stop. This lasted a good 6 months if I remember correctly then BAM Turbine announced the f2p conversion and a little while later Codemasters announced they were losing the license. So we shall see if I'm mad as a march hare or bang on the money. They could just be holding back as the rumors of AA going f2p in the east could be true and that changes things for Trion.

...this can be the game for Triton to make them or break them after their recient releases.  I just hope they have been working on it since they have gotten the rights, and they make a good show at E3.  If not then I feel we can start "glooming and dooming!"  

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    I did a market research survey for the game this week and in the survey it had Trion stated as the publisher, so I think it is safe to say currently they are still the publisher. 
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Zeddakis
    I did a market research survey for the game this week and in the survey it had Trion stated as the publisher, so I think it is safe to say currently they are still the publisher. 

.....Think we all still knew this, Trion has 2 booths at E3, one is for AA its been stated already.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!