Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest mmo since WoW

Comments

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315
    ARR had better step up it's game in phase 3 of beta. As it stands right now at the end of phase 2,it offers nothing new to separate it from every other up and coming MMO. It's initial launch into the MMO world was at best a dismal failure and unless word of mouth spreads like wildfire through the Netverse that it is super amazing,it'll only garner a very modest amount of interest.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

FF14 is virtually doomed to fail before it even (re)launches, despite whatever good publicity it manages to muster from some of its (somehow) most loyal fans.  They're simply fighting a losing numbers battle.  Nearly all the people who were/are interested in the next FF MMO tried it the first time around.  So many people were incredibly put off by that game and will not return.  It's over and done with for these people.  All A Realm Reborn can hope for is to retain some portion of the total number of players the original release gathered.  

Yes, the re-release will garner the attention of a very small number of people who weren't also paying attention to the original release. And yes I'm honestly quite shocked at just how many people seem so willing to forgive and forget the first disaster.  But no matter what, these factors cannot compensate.  There's no way A Realm Reborn can sell more copies than its predecessor at release.  

The ONLY way it will ever experience a significant enough growth in population to surpass the original FF14 is if it somehow turns out to be a ridiculously phenomenal game that receives rave reviews by media and players alike.  If it's not amazing, the word of mouth chain won't have a huge impact.  If it's just good, it won't make it.  That's the position this game is in.  Good doesn't cut it.  

• duuude007duuude007 Member Posts: 112

Phase 1

The only content that they planned for it were the basics. Lots of placeholders, lots of high action content to saturate the zones and stress the servers to help ensure stability.

Phase 2

Consider this an extension of Phase 1 with minor bug fixes, some small features added, and the introduction of the new gamepad controls

Phase 3

Largely a blend of new features, changes based on feedback, and further optimization. PS3 beta added into the mix

Phase 4

Open Beta, most of the content that is at launch will be available here (excluding Arcanist/summoner)

Early Access (1 week)

Perk for preorder players and Legacy, Allows early access to alleviate oversaturation of beginner zones come launch day.

Launch (Aug 27th)

Everyone else gains access to play. Anyone who purchased FFXIV 1.x can play free for a month with no additional purchase.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Homitu

Despite whatever good publicity it manages to muster from some of its (somehow) most loyal fans, FF14 is virtually doomed to fail before it even (re)launches.  They're simply fighting a losing numbers battle.  Nearly all the people who were/are interested in the next FF MMO tried it the first time around.  So many people were incredibly put off by that game and will not return.  It's over and done with for these people.  All A Realm Reborn can hope for is to retain some portion of the total number of players the original release gathered.  

Yes, the re-release will garner the attention of a very small number of people who weren't also paying attention to the original release. And yes I'm honestly quite shocked at just how many people seem so willing to forgive and forget the first disaster.  But no matter what, these factors cannot compensate.  There's no way A Realm Reborn can sell more copies than its predecessor at release.  

The ONLY way it will ever experience a significant enough growth in population to surpass the original FF14 is if it somehow turns out to be a ridiculously phenomenal game that receives rave reviews by media and players alike.  If it's not amazing, the word of mouth chain won't have a huge impact.  If it's just good, it won't make it.  That's the position this game is in.  Good doesn't cut it.  

Homitu,

What do you think that FFXIV needs to do to be a better game than other MMOs on the market right now?  I personally think there is 2 things they have over many others.  That is that grouping is the fastest way to level which gets people into playing with others which an MMO should do vs today's Single Player MMOs like SWTOR, LOTRO and others.  And the other thing I think the game does very well with is you can have all classes on 1 character allowing players to have 1 character in the game they can get attached to.  

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

FF14 is virtually doomed to fail before it even (re)launches, despite whatever good publicity it manages to muster from some of its (somehow) most loyal fans.  They're simply fighting a losing numbers battle.  Nearly all the people who were/are interested in the next FF MMO tried it the first time around.  So many people were incredibly put off by that game and will not return.  It's over and done with for these people.  All A Realm Reborn can hope for is to retain some portion of the total number of players the original release gathered.  

What I find most becoming of this post is that it implies that people who didn't follow a disastrous release are the ones who are likely to come back or give it a second chance.  Yet, the poster seems to him/herself not have followed the game after launch and is making the assertion opposite of his/her claim.  If one were to truly follow the game from launch and onto the sunset, they might be overcome with a sort of respect for this company and the new development team.  Of the hundred times they apologized, the indepth coverage of their folly and their own admittance that they had a hubris that was matched by not taking the genre seriously.  Not only that, but of their intent to make things right no matter the costs.

Now, that's a simple and somewhat silly thing to say (on my part and in Yoshi-P's) as, what does it exactly mean when you say "no matter the cost".  This is a business, and business means making money.  But the humble nature shown here indicates more than the fact; that their stance, their business in making money, is to foster a relationship and to care for not only their franchise but the people who play it.  This is relevant in how they offered a year of free time, updated a game they knew they would replace for those who still played it,  the fact that they are completely remaking a game (the path less travelled) as opposed to fixing a few things (and not the core of the problem) and releasing it as F2P, the many polls / letters from the producers whereby they asked what was needed to fix the game, and even the final pricing of their product (free to all who owned it, plus free game time) and very cheap box prices of those who have yet to buy it (what a run on sentence!).

They are doing something many have said a company should do.  Fix the problems that need to be fixed as opposed to trying to milk something and get out.  They are rebuilding the world from the ground up, taking all feedback and polls and beta feedback seriously, made an entirely new engine and... well, I could write for hours on just the things I witnessed.  Yoshi-P wrote the then president of Square saying they had to treat the Genre seriously, as as such no expense should be spared for both the sake of Final Fantasy and to regain the trust and confidence of their fanbase; I've even read claims that their team has almost a thousand people working on this MMO for the past couple years.   They turned a pile of crap into playable game, and then gave the players an awesome cinematic ending (all of this knowing they wouldn't make money off of 1.0 or what they did in 1.0).

This is a company that I want more people to look at and say "these are good business practices," or, what "outstand and moral people these are to do this for us," as opposed to how things are today with "so it failed, make a cash shop and release it free to play... put it in maintenance mode and make money with another project".  To hold grudges or to have an innate hatred for a company that displays these virtues is to doom the genre, and to be a hypocrite if you (to each individual and not one person in particular) ever, evercomplained about how the way MMOs are today and how the companies make / treat them with their models and cash grabs.

Here we are seeing a precedence set, if the MMO community is worth the investment to mend a bad game, or should they be used as cattle and milked cleaned once a game no longer suits a company or publisher.  Square Enix is it's own publisher, and thus they want this game to be good and remain good and have even promised to keep the graphics up to date as technology improves.  They are in a unique position to show that the MMO gamers are not whiny babies who are spoiled and want everything given to them or they give nothing in return.

If they fail, it would not just be their fault, but the fault of the MMO community as a whole.  It will tell people that no, we're not worth it as we won't give you a second chance.  That you're correct in not fixing things that can be costly and just releasing it to the masses to make mint off of.  No matter how you look at it -- if you think them good guys for doing this, or pessimistically saying it's just for themselves -- this is a business first in many ways, and we could either GET OVER OURSELVES (meant for the whole and not the poster I quoted) and see where it leads, or just continue on the path (and encourage) the current paths and trends this MMO genre has been subjected to.

I vote we see if they can pull it off, give them the opportunity to, and not have such (in my opinion) closed minded thoughts.  They may have to have something "great" to pull this off, but people entering with such bias do not help the matter as they cling to their past (the same goes for those over hyping it, which instantly gives it negative attention to those who then don't want to follow a trend for whatever reason that is their own).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Well I seriously seriously seriously doubt this is gonna get any where near what wow was. Not even close. I played the first one and it was trash. The only people are gonna stick to this mmo, are ps3 owners, that have no computer. Yeah you can remake a game and fix all the problems, and try to re sell it. But.... no ones pulled that one off successfully yet. And the ps3 is on its way out, and the people will get a ps4, and if it doesnt come out on ps4. Well then its gonna fail even harder. The simple fact that its 30 bucks, and then 12.99 a month is gonna make it fail. When you have titles like aion, rift, neverwinter, ddo, ect ect ect. That are all free to play. Its just not going to work. Not to mention the fact that they just over looked completely apparently. Ps3 owners are not used to or willing to pay a monthly payment to play a online game. It just anit gonna happen, so your prediction is way way way way way off. I wont even buy it due to the fact they sold me a terrible trash game and charged me 49.99 for it. And it was the stupidest mmo I have ever played. I had more fun buggy broken vanguard, then the trash that this game was when it first came out. So for them to try and remake their trash, and try to re sell it to me HA, you jest. I dont know about other people, but thats like saying you buy a car from a dealer and he sells you a junker, and told you it was the greatest. Then you go back to him and be like yeah sell me another one HELL YEAH!!!! BEND ME OVER I CAN TAKE IT. So yeah you failed on this game being the grand daddy of the new mmos coming out. Wild Star, acheage, elder scrolls online, and eq next all have a much much much much much much better chance to become the mmo you speak of. But even those games are unlikely to get every one away from thier current mmos. Not to many  people want to leave behind years or months of work, to go give a new mmo a try. Especially one thats gonna cost them 30 bucks, and 12.99 a month. FAIL FAIL AND MORE FAIL. The terrible release of dragon prophet has a better chance to be more popular then this game.  

Final Fantasy 11 already proved you wrong on the PS2 and 360 and its one of the longest running mmos that still havent gone f2p.  The hate is strong in this one

Yeah because it was released in a time when p2p was the norm. As i said people tend not to want to switch to a new game, and lose all their hard work. Besides just my thoughts on it. I never played this new one, as i stated i never would. After they sold me that garbage of a game. Just like i wont play dark fall. I am not going to give a company another chance when they fail so hard like they have. It didnt prove me wrong either, final fantasy 11 is not even in the same ball park as wow is or was. The post was this game making wow standards, and it just anit gonna happen. I am not saying that the game wont have players, and it wont stay running. I just am saying its never gonna be a high played game with 10 million players. 

I never said it was in the same ballpark as WoW in subs, I was saying it be because it was a success on the consoles and square-enix stated that it was the game that made them the most money out of all the games they have created.  And the fact that it started from 500k active subs and grew up to 2 million active subs around 2009 over the years still says a lot about the games success compared to most mmorpgs, and the fact that out of all the classic mmos from EQ going f2p and SWG death FF11 is still a p2p title among all the titles that started as p2p and went f2p ever since WoW came out.  And part of its success over the years is because of being cross-platform.  And i would understand your bitterness towards a company that brought out a failed product but in this case square deserves a second chance at this game in my opinion as no other mmo company ever admitted that they fucked their game up, take their game back to fix everything and put so many of their resources doing it, made a road map to show all the players and stay true to that road map, let players know and show them every step of the way what they are doing for the game, let all the existing players play for free while they fix it up, and at the same time let them come back to the new version without having to buy a new box.  How many mmo companies have done this can you say?  The Japanese are truly honorable when it comes to their work ethics.

In 2006, between 200,000 and 300,000 active players logged in per day, and the game was the dominant MMORPG in Japan.[5] In 2008 Square Enix noted that Final Fantasy XI had a strong user base of around 500,000 subscribers,[6] and in April 2009, announced that the total number of active characters exceeded 2 million for the first time.[7] Square Enix president Yoichi Wada announced in June 2012 that Final Fantasy XI had become the most profitable title in the Final Fantasy series.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI and you can google your self many other links that say the same thing

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Greatest mmo's ratings:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/final-fantasy-xiv-online

Lulz

Two different games.

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

Although you wrote up a nice post,trying to pin the failure of any MMO on the MMO community as a whole is utterly ridiculous.  Trying to "guild trip" an entire community is a base insult and does not reflect well at all on the game or it's community moving forward.

Edited to add: My post is a reply to Yaevendusk

Originally posted by Sithos

Although you wrote up a nice post,trying to pin the failure of any MMO on the MMO community as a whole is utterly ridiculous.  Trying to "guild trip" an entire community is a base insult and does not reflect well at all on the game or it's community moving forward.

Actually, I said "not just the fault of" as pointed to Square, followed by the lackluster nature of the MMO community as a whole (of which the exact points I could've gone into detail with so that someone wouldn't misinterpret me thinking I said the whole of the community is bad).  There was nothing to imply that I was giving a group of people a "guilt trip" (though it's the eye of the beholder and not just the writer that matters), but rather note there is a growing fallacy within the group as a whole when it comes to what I and others wrote.

Being a bit confrontational is not bad when it's done to the whole and not individual (even to the individual when it's done in an ample and adult like matter).  To say otherwise is a folly in itself, as we will never question, we will never correct and more importantly:  We will never grow.

If I were to read my post as a third party, I would be impressed that someone would take the time to articulate these things with his opinions and insights, albeit a bit forceful, but nonetheless it does not make the assertions untrue as sometimes people need wake up calls (not to say that I have any insight that others are lacking, I'm sure we all know there are a few that need to realize things).  Though I do understand the nature of one saying it and how they too need to understand the implications of such statements and be subject to them from then on out.  I'm also aware that I have a bias for my own posts as I know my research and my thought processes; I'll take these into consideration as I have a colleague review my words and apply what I learned for the future.

But as a whole, I agree whole heartedly with what I posted after rereading it, and if anything, it seems a little too soft.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53

I read the post and literally stopped when he said deep crafting. my brain wanted to jump out of my head and murder him for his ignorance. 

Hands down star wars Galaxies had the best. 

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Actually, I said "not just the fault of" as dictated to Square, followed by the lackluster nature of the MMO community as a whole.  There was nothing to imply that I was giving a group of people a "guilt trip", but rather note there is a growing fallacy within the group as a whole when it comes to what I and others wrote.

Being a bit confrontational is not bad when it's done to the whole and not individual (even to the individual when it's done in an ample and adult like matter).  To say otherwise is a folly in itself, as we will never question, we will never correct and more importantly:  We will never grow.

If I were to read my post as a third party, I would be impressed that someone would take the time to articulate these things with his opinions and insights, albeit a bit forceful, but nonetheless does it make the assertions untrue as sometimes people need wake up calls.  Though I do understand the nature of the one saying it also needs to understand the implications of his own statements and be subject to them there on out.  I'm also aware that I have a bias for my own posts as I know my research and my thought processes; I'll take these into consideration as I have a colleague review my words and apply what I learned for the future.

But as a whole, I agree whole heartedly with what I posted after rereading it, and if anything, it seems a little too soft.

people are the worse judges of their own stuff. so saying that after you read it you approved of it is a little silly cause i would hope you wouldnt have written it in the first place if you didnt approve of it.

also i would judge what you wrote but i can never handle walls of text that are longer then my screen twice over.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Originally posted by Squeak69

Actually, I said "not just the fault of" as dictated to Square, followed by the lackluster nature of the MMO community as a whole.  There was nothing to imply that I was giving a group of people a "guilt trip", but rather note there is a growing fallacy within the group as a whole when it comes to what I and others wrote.

If I were to read my post as a third party, I would be impressed that someone would take the time to articulate these things with his opinions and insights, albeit a bit forceful, but nonetheless does it make the assertions untrue as sometimes people need wake up calls.  Though I do understand the nature of the one saying it also needs to understand the implications of his own statements and be subject to them there on out.  I'm also aware that I have a bias for my own posts as I know my research and my thought processes; I'll take these into consideration as I have a colleague review my words and apply what I learned for the future.

people are the worse judges of their own stuff. so saying that after you read it you approved of it is a little silly cause i would hope you wouldnt have written it in the first place if you didnt approve of it.

also i would judge what you wrote but i can never handle walls of text that are longer then my screen twice over.

Fair enough.  I tend to read my posts at least twice before posting, and three times after.  Thus, I make a lot of edits within the first thirty minutes of posting.  If someone felt as though something was wrong, then maybe it's my own fault in terms of how I articulated it.

Though as a whole I was taught not to disregard something because I initially believed something else to be the truth.  If he genuinely had something, it was my job to see if I felt it had any merit and give it the attention it deserves.

true squeak69 however Yaevendusk has a real good point about how SE did the right thing about closing a crappy MMO down instead of milking it as a F2P game.  The lack of respect the community has shown towards what SE did is disgusting.  There is constant negative towards SE and FFXIV like the company is just milking the game for all its worth until the population gets feed up with it like many MMOs have done for the last year.  The MMO community needs to put the screws to the publisher however when the publisher does the right thing the community needs to back off and let them re-release the game and see what comes of it.  O and BTW I do not think Phase 2 Beta is what the game will be totally like on release.  I do think its indicator on what direction the game is going.  And people who do not like the combat I have a feeling there will be some good changes in phase 3 time will tell.   

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

In my opinion WoW isnt or ever was the greatest mmo, it just had the greatest number of subs. In my personal opinion the greatest mmo was between Everquest and Final Fantasy 11, hard to decide between the two but FF11 had me playing the longest.  WoW on the other hand I played for about a month then quit, came back to try again a year later and played about a month again and quit again.  FF11 I played 2 years straight then quit for work and stuff.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Mark my words. FFXIV ARR will be the greatest mmo since vanilla WoW. Consider my reasons for this claim. Unlike any other mmo, FFXIV will be released world wide Aug.27  on both PC and PS3. With over 70 million PS3 units sold imagine how many people walking into walmart or gamestop looking for a roleplaying game will be attracted to this title. FFXI at its peak had 500k members and it was predominantly on PS2. Even if only 1% of all PS3 owners buy FFXIV thats over 700k subscribers on console alone. Know that FFXIV will also be released on PS4. We all know how cautious we can be when buying first gen games for new consoles. Imagine how comforting the Final Fantasy name will be to people looking for games in that genre. Then there all the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 people who will want to give ARR a try. Plus how many WoW and GW2 players arent really that happy with the current state of their gaming. 

For new players playing their very first mmo ARR has a VERY friendly learning curve. Veteran players have even complained that it was too easy. However it has been confirmed that as you progress towards endgame the games challenges become more daunting. To the point of having to quit ones job in order to devote all of ones time to the game just to "first achieve" the games endgame rewards. There is also the ability to progress smoothly in game through both solo and group play.

It is commonly known that 1.0 had one of the deepest crafting systems in all mmos. This will be retained in 2.0, plus a crafting driven economy. Add a combination of 16 classes and jobs to choose from at release. Along with 18+ dungeons that range from easy to extremely hard. Player housing. Deep storylines.A beautiful soundtrack and the best graphics of any mmo to date. Plus  one can really become attached to whatever character you create because one toon can be any and every job. So goodbye Alts.

Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

All of these things and many more have me convinced that this will be the greatest mmo in years and possibly for years to come.

I was in the closed betas.  I participated in 2 of them.  I really tried hard to like the game.  But, its just another boring ass Tab target mmo.  This game will have a niche group.  It will never be successful like you imagine it will lol.  

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

id like to see the real numbers on WoW subs, my predictions

200k players supported by 8m Chinese farmers.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin

Mark my words. FFXIV ARR will be the greatest mmo since vanilla WoW. Consider my reasons for this claim. Unlike any other mmo, FFXIV will be released world wide Aug.27  on both PC and PS3. With over 70 million PS3 units sold imagine how many people walking into walmart or gamestop looking for a roleplaying game will be attracted to this title. FFXI at its peak had 500k members and it was predominantly on PS2. Even if only 1% of all PS3 owners buy FFXIV thats over 700k subscribers on console alone. Know that FFXIV will also be released on PS4. We all know how cautious we can be when buying first gen games for new consoles. Imagine how comforting the Final Fantasy name will be to people looking for games in that genre. Then there all the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 people who will want to give ARR a try. Plus how many WoW and GW2 players arent really that happy with the current state of their gaming. 

For new players playing their very first mmo ARR has a VERY friendly learning curve. Veteran players have even complained that it was too easy. However it has been confirmed that as you progress towards endgame the games challenges become more daunting. To the point of having to quit ones job in order to devote all of ones time to the game just to "first achieve" the games endgame rewards. There is also the ability to progress smoothly in game through both solo and group play.

It is commonly known that 1.0 had one of the deepest crafting systems in all mmos. This will be retained in 2.0, plus a crafting driven economy. Add a combination of 16 classes and jobs to choose from at release. Along with 18+ dungeons that range from easy to extremely hard. Player housing. Deep storylines.A beautiful soundtrack and the best graphics of any mmo to date. Plus  one can really become attached to whatever character you create because one toon can be any and every job. So goodbye Alts.

Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

All of these things and many more have me convinced that this will be the greatest mmo in years and possibly for years to come.

I was in the closed betas.  I participated in 2 of them.  I really tried hard to like the game.  But, its just another boring ass Tab target mmo.  This game will have a niche group.  It will never be successful like you imagine it will lol.  

The problem is if you think Tab Targeting is going anywhere in MMOs your wrong.  The 2 games that have them Terra and Neverwinter are both Free to Play and both are more Niche than FFXIV really.  I dont get what you people think Action Combat is great, it really sucks its like playing a FPS.  If I wanted to play a FPS I go play ghost recon.  Combat is not where MMOs needed to innovate its really were they needed to go back to their roots and say that X class has these weaknesses and if you do not pay attention to them you will die.  Not the current every class does the same thing.  Action Combat is for single player games at best.  

Originally posted by skyexile

id like to see the real numbers on WoW subs, my predictions

200k players supported by 8m Chinese farmers.

its still 8mil paying accounts

i dont why people keep hateing on WoW, cause its doing something right apprently.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya
    ARR I think will have a great showing . I think it will take a chunk of WOWs players . Wildstar to me looks like a game for 12 year olds it just looks childish to me. tESO and Neverwinter are going to fail because every F2P game fails . it morphs from F2P to B2W . Sure you can have everything in the free game but you want more inv slots sorry that's going to cost you 9.99 . FFXIV:ARR will do it right it has everything and I do mean everything it takes everything for the most popular MMOs and adds them to FF in a total world that is Final Fantasy and it still seems like it is Final Fantasy . The only thing the game dosent have is action combat but that's what makes it final fantasy . I am going to buy this game and I am going to love this game . And so are a lot of other people. Some will not like it because of really dumb reasons or valid ones. Some will just hate it because they think they know better when them people probably never even watched any of the videos or read any info on the game. There going to hate it because that what they do hate.

im sorry sir but you sir have no idea what your talking about.  Apparently since going F2P, SWTOR is doing great and another game that is getting some steam is STO that just had an expansion (the leagacy of Romulus).  Which i find these 2 games really fun for me and thats why i still play them.  Which i also do agree with your starting point of your topic about ARR and also agree with you on Wildstar too.  But im also playing a game other then STO and SWTOR but im not gonna say the name of the game which i think is ten times better then WoW can ever be but again im not gonna say the name because last time i said the name of the game my statement hurt someone's feelings and i got a warning, i mean seriously cant even say comments on here without hurting someones feelings.  So i will not say anything else about that.  So there fore i have not hurt anyone's feelings this time (LMFAO) while expressing my opinion.  And i thank you.

Originally posted by danwest58

Snip

The problem is if you think Tab Targeting is going anywhere in MMOs your wrong.  The 2 games that have them Terra and Neverwinter are both Free to Play and both are more Niche than FFXIV really.  I dont get what you people think Action Combat is great, it really sucks its like playing a FPS.  If I wanted to play a FPS I go play ghost recon.  Combat is not where MMOs needed to innovate its really were they needed to go back to their roots and say that X class has these weaknesses and if you do not pay attention to them you will die.  Not the current every class does the same thing.  Action Combat is for single player games at best.  

Personally I think that both have yet to reach their full potential.  Though as long as people want something over another, or if there is a trend, that trend will be followed with minor iterations as opposed to potentially seeking potential over usability.  

But unfortunately we are in a market whereby different is met with "too much like WoW" who say it regardless of what game it is, or "not enough like WoW" for those seeking out such.  Then people are willing to declare a company bad for one flop or two (in general we can see this) or what they consider to be a flop and declare the evils of publishers to rule again.  We also see evidence of "this has this single feature that I don't like?  This game sucks, and is now too easy" in not just WoW, but in games under development.  Many people lost interest in Arch Age once they saw the cars, for example.  It may hurt some of their immersions, and that's okay as it's up to the individual.  But as a whole, it kind've sucks that we're seeing all this come to fruition.

Maybe it's just human nature.

true squeak69 however Yaevendusk has a real good point about how SE did the right thing about closing a crappy MMO down instead of milking it as a F2P game.  The lack of respect the community has shown towards what SE did is disgusting.  There is constant negative towards SE and FFXIV like the company is just milking the game for all its worth until the population gets feed up with it like many MMOs have done for the last year.  The MMO community needs to put the screws to the publisher however when the publisher does the right thing the community needs to back off and let them re-release the game and see what comes of it.  O and BTW I do not think Phase 2 Beta is what the game will be totally like on release.  I do think its indicator on what direction the game is going.  And people who do not like the combat I have a feeling there will be some good changes in phase 3 time will tell.   

if that the gist of what he wrote, i can agree with some parts, but i disagree with others.

im sorry but thier are so many things going on with this game that i dont really want anything to do with it, i do even plan on giving it a courtasy play like i do most new MMOs,

then agian i dislike square enix more then any other company out theeir so i am more then a bit bias to be honest.

if that the gist of what he wrote, i can agree with some parts, but i disagree with others.

im sorry but thier are so many things going on with this game that i dont really want anything to do with it, i do even plan on giving it a courtasy play like i do most new MMOs,

then agian i dislike square enix more then any other company out theeir so i am more then a bit bias to be honest.

Yea biased can play into your feelings why you dont like FFXIV I can see that.  I just think you should give them credit that they took the game down and didnt milk it.  Thats what drives me nuts about SWTOR.  At the Core SWTOR is an OK game but it plays too much like a single player game.  To really fix it they need to take it down and rebuild it from the ground up.  Yea keep the instances and warzones.  However dont make the worlds feel instances and well very much like a single player game.  If they had open SWG type worlds I would love it.  Yea I might not run into someone every minute or so but the planet would feel huge.  Right now they dont.  

One thing I like about FFXIV is that they are focusing on group play, you can still solo however its not ideal for leveling or doing much.  Why because its an MMO so Group Play is centric to MMOs.  Thats why I have major issues with many MMOs today they do not feel like an MMO; they more or less feel like Single Player games with a chat room.  

Snip

Personally I think that both have yet to reach their full potential.  Though as long as people want something over another, or if there is a trend, that trend will be followed with minor iterations as opposed to potentially seeking potential over usability.  

But unfortunately we are in a market whereby different is met with "too much like WoW" who say it regardless of what game it is, or "not enough like WoW" for those seeking out such.  Then people are willing to declare a company bad for one flop or two (in general we can see this) or what they consider to be a flop and declare the evils of publishers to rule again.  We also see evidence of "this has this single feature that I don't like?  This game sucks, and is now too easy" in not just WoW, but in games under development.  Many people lost interest in Arch Age once they saw the cars, for example.  It may hurt some of their immersions, and that's okay as it's up to the individual.  But as a whole, it kind've sucks that we're seeing all this come to fruition.

I agree that the market is looked upon as too much of WoW or not enough of WoW.  Trust me I talk on the forums of FFXIV and bring up that the trend of all MMOs have gone away from Large raids and to small raids.  One just needs to look at WoW, SWTOR and other games.  The truth is though I look at the market and what the market will bare when talking about it.  No so much like well WoW has a LFR we need a LFR.  Since I played with  Hundreds of players and lead many guilds over my nearly 15 years of MMO time I understand the players perspective that do not go to forums.  Often it is they play MMOs to play with other players however they done the large group thing and that time is past.  

Anyways yep its human nature.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Despite whatever good publicity it manages to muster from some of its (somehow) most loyal fans, FF14 is virtually doomed to fail before it even (re)launches.  They're simply fighting a losing numbers battle.  Nearly all the people who were/are interested in the next FF MMO tried it the first time around.  So many people were incredibly put off by that game and will not return.  It's over and done with for these people.  All A Realm Reborn can hope for is to retain some portion of the total number of players the original release gathered.  

Homitu,

What do you think that FFXIV needs to do to be a better game than other MMOs on the market right now?  I personally think there is 2 things they have over many others.  That is that grouping is the fastest way to level which gets people into playing with others which an MMO should do vs today's Single Player MMOs like SWTOR, LOTRO and others.  And the other thing I think the game does very well with is you can have all classes on 1 character allowing players to have 1 character in the game they can get attached to.  

Well I can give you my own personal, lengthy MMO manifesto (I wrote a 20 some page document for my own pleasure, which incorporated features from many games, including FFXI, which also utilized the two features you mention), but that's getting away from my point, which I suppose I didn't state very clearly.  My main point was simply that FFXIV is NOT in a good position to be a smash hit the way the OP surmises.  I suspect many fans who anxiously await this game's rerelease are falling into the fallacious trap of assuming their own enthusiasm is that of the majority.  Because they are so excited for the game (which is fine) and because it dominates their attention, they suffer the illusion that many others (usually phrased "most") are just as excited.  I simply think the OP's expectations are completely exaggerated and unreasonable.  Quite to the contrary of his assertions (like "omg 70 million ps3 units were sold, just imagine how many of those people are going to buy FF14!"), I think FFXIV faces extreme obstacles in gathering an audience.  It's fighting from behind by default for the reasons I mentioned.  

I'm not making any assertions about the actual quality of FF14.  

Snip

I agree that the market is looked upon as too much of WoW or not enough of WoW.  Trust me I talk on the forums of FFXIV and bring up that the trend of all MMOs have gone away from Large raids and to small raids.  One just needs to look at WoW, SWTOR and other games.  The truth is though I look at the market and what the market will bare when talking about it.  No so much like well WoW has a LFR we need a LFR.  Since I played with  Hundreds of players and lead many guilds over my nearly 15 years of MMO time I understand the players perspective that do not go to forums.  Often it is they play MMOs to play with other players however they done the large group thing and that time is past.  

Anyways yep its human nature.

I tend to try and go against human nature and look at things in such a way as I was taught or the styles that I have acquired through experience (for life in general, but more so with academics).  With that I oft try to get people to look at things logically, which is a folly in itself.  Trying to go against human nature oneself is admirable in some ways.  Trying to "correct" it is where I go wrong, as that just makes me one of the most ignorant people in the world to think that I can make a difference in how the human mind works (and potentially how much better society could be if bias and grudges and hatred were quelled at least a little).

Oh well, such is life.  x3