Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we still beable to regular chat while in combat in in ffxi?

DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Will the ffxiv community be typing in chat box like it was in ffxi, or will alot of peaple use headsets to communicate?

I hope it doesn't end up like GW2 were its non stop button smashing. I didn't have any time to type and when i did i got left behind the zerg, dont wanna relive that. I'de much prefer setting up macros for skills, ect. When i played ffxi virtually no one used headsets to talk, even while doing end game stuff, before the battle the leader would type everything in chat box and give roles prior to the battle starting.

PS. i do have a headset, i'm just not confertable speaking into it.

Comments

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    woops ment to say "like in ffxi" in topic heading
  • striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I imagine it will be like every MMO out there...a mixture of both.
  • RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

not ingame voice confirmed.

reasons:

- servers stress

- female harrasment

- uncontrolable without logs

Its easier to be controled by Free Companies (Guilds) with external software.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    You set up macros so you can spend more time typing instead of talking? That's crazy. Most people would prefer to actually play the game and most people prefer a more involved pace of combat because it keeps it interesting. If you don't have to pay attention to what you're doing, that gets boring really fast. And most people don't like having to type a ton, nor do they like having to watch a chat box when they'd prefer to watch the fight. Voice chatting is much eaiser and more convenient which is why people use it.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Unlick FFXI, FFXIV has alot more abilities to use so there will be alot more button mashing as you put it.  Also, unlike FFXI, FFXIV does not have an abilities menu, so you won't have the option to keep going into a menu rather than using hotkeys, this can prove to be a problem for those who wish to type while they cast an ability, not that I ever saw it possible to do so regardless.

imageimage

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Most people I met during ~10 years of playing MMOs were able to chat during combat even in games where combat was faster than it currently is in ARR, so I'm not too concerned there. 

Great incentive to learn faster typing!

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584

You will type in chat. World chat , party chat , LinkShell ( guild ) Chat , Grand Company chat ( if there is one ) PM chat 

But you can also use voice chat if you have skype , mumble , Vent , Team Speak  and have it set up. 

My Linkshell/Grand Company uses Mumble VoIP .  You dont have to speak but i like people to at least listen so if they want to type vs talk at least there still in the loop on whats going on and we can see there text and voice back. 

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    You set up macros so you can spend more time typing instead of talking? That's crazy. Most people would prefer to actually play the game and most people prefer a more involved pace of combat because it keeps it interesting. If you don't have to pay attention to what you're doing, that gets boring really fast. And most people don't like having to type a ton, nor do they like having to watch a chat box when they'd prefer to watch the fight. Voice chatting is much eaiser and more convenient which is why people use it.

ill be honest i had never really heard this sentiment before, until seeing some of the ffxiv forums. a few people (not many) complaining they actually have to pay too much attention to the combat, that it is too fast... this games combat is really just normal paced mmo stuff, maybe even a bit on the slower side.

i was really stunned by this. the complaint seemed to be that they couldnt type and chat while grouped or whatever, because they had to pay attention when in combat.  along this lines were people wanting auto attacks to be a bigger part of there offense (again, so they could type more and not have to push attack buttons).

its one of the stranger things i have witnessed in a games community.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Dzone  When i played ffxi virtually no one used headsets to talk, even while doing end game stuff, before the battle the leader would type everything in chat box and give roles prior to the battle starting.

TS/Vent was required when i played, going back to '04, for endgame shells anyways.  It's a nightmare typing all that shit out.

Originally posted by tokini

ill be honest i had never really heard this sentiment before, until seeing some of the ffxiv forums. a few people (not many) complaining they actually have to pay too much attention to the combat, that it is too fast... this games combat is really just normal paced mmo stuff, maybe even a bit on the slower side.

i was really stunned by this. the complaint seemed to be that they couldnt type and chat while grouped or whatever, because they had to pay attention when in combat.  along this lines were people wanting auto attacks to be a bigger part of there offense (again, so they could type more and not have to push attack buttons).

It's how the FF community is.  They complain every other MMO is too easy and then bitch when they can't handle updated combat.  They want auto-attack to be 60% of their damage, like XI.  The majority of them are really, really, i mean really bad at any combat involving any sort of movement as well.

Trying to explain to these people just how bad XI's combat actually was is an exercise in futility.  I was one of them, as hardcore a XI player as you can be.  I understand their mentality and it's really difficult trying to read those forums and explain how much better it can be.

XI did a lot of things right, but combat was not one of them.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Alders

It's how the FF community is.  They complain every other MMO is too easy and then bitch when they can't handle updated combat.  They want auto-attack to be 60% of their damage, like XI.  The majority of them are really, really, i mean really bad at any combat involving any sort of movement as well.

Trying to explain to these people just how bad XI's combat actually was is an exercise in futility.  I was one of them, as hardcore a XI player as you can be.  I understand their mentality and it's really difficult trying to read those forums and explain how much better it can be.

Have you ever played an FF game before? XI's combat was based on the tactical style of the RPG series. It was slower paced but each individual skill use had a much bigger impact on the outcome of a battle and there was a significant focus on timing and coordination. You don't seem to like it but that does not mean it was 'bad' seeing as there are several hundred thousand fans of XI that loved the game. Would you like to argue that chess is 'bad' because it's not a real-time war simulator?

You do realise that not everyone wants a real-time action MMO with active dodging, collision detection and crazy physics right? Some people like different things, and that does not make those things 'bad'...

It's worth noting that XI's slower paced combat allowed for a much more social gaming experience. Most post-WoW MMOs have lost that because there is simply no time to hold a conversation whilst mashing your 'rotation'.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

To answer the OP, you will be pushing a lot of buttons to keep up in combat compared to FFXI, from what I've seen.  You won't kill everyone in your party if you stop and type a quick sentence, though.  You're not constantly on the move, either, at least according to most combat vids I've watched.

To respond to the comments below the OP, eh.  In way, both perspectives are right.

Most MMO's ARE easier than FFXI, though only by very specific measures.  No, the game doesn't require the razor focus of playing a MOBA or Arena PvP game at the upper echelons of player skill.  You don't need incredible micro like a good SC2 game.  Or even any micro at all, really.  The "hard" in FFXI is more the open world and certain dungeons/bosses being far less forgiving than most games.  When those FFXI diehards say "too easy," what they usually mean is, "I'd like an open world with more threat to the players, such that grouping is a first choice rather than last resort, and I'd like dungeons and bosses with more difficult entry-barriers, so I feel like I've accomplished something when I get there."  You may disagree with those motivations and sentiments, but I think that's how they genuinely feel.  I don't think it's born out of any kind of elitism.  They're just stating preferences, albeit in an indirect way.

And yeah, I don't know if bad is a valid descriptor.  Again, bad is such a subjective term.  It's only true by very specific measures.  Combat is really slow in FFXI, yep.  You auto a lot and not a whole lot more for many classes, except when you pull off a combo.  Some people like that, though.  They want to Chillax while MMO'ing.  I'm that way.  I tend to alternate between games with very high skill requirements and skill caps and fairly easygoing MMO's with visuals that appeal to me.  Sometimes I want games with a steep skill curve.  Sometimes I want to swing mah sword with some pretty trees in the background.  If I want to do the latter, for better or worse, I don't really care about how "good" the combat is.

And there's something to like about FFXI's style.  I honestly hated the button-mashing I had to do to DPS in games like WoW.  A lot of times, you were button mashing not because of tactical decisions but because you simply had to pound X, Y, and Z skill using a certain priority to achieve optimal DPS.  In other words, an arbitrary design mechanic which kept your fingers busy without giving you any real choice.  If you want me to make choices, they better be real choices, ala Guild Wars.  So yeah, many people will find FFXI's combat too passive, but I prefer it to makework activity.

And in regards to actually finding a MMO with good combat, I don't really have a lot of hope for that.  No offense, but with the exception of a tiny number of MMO's with a really developed Arena PvP scene, it's close to impossible to find a MMO with a skill curve that matches that of something like Tribes or a good MOBA.  So I don't really bother.  I get my competition fix in one place, and my social MMO fix in another.

• ItarugaItaruga Member Posts: 38
    I'm hearing impaired, so I'd prefer not to do the whole voice chat thingy.......I get frustrated. People get frustrated with me....text chat is convenient for me, but I understand when its time to pay attention and kick ass lol. Anyone who can accept and understand that, great :) This is why having a solo elemnt in an mmo is a good thing for me. i tend to just play on my own and not have to worry about pissing people off. I admit though, it's really nice being in a guild and having people to talk to. It gets lonely out there mun...
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I don't mind typing just in-game. In-game voice on games like Lotro are horrible for me.

Vent is where the action is at.

• tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Alders

I'm definitely one of those people. I loved how auto attack dealt the majority of damage and skills were, idk, special, because you did not just spam them every single fight.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Like most MMOs, combat and being social are mutually exclusive. You can only do one or the other. No one will be typing much during fights. Since fights will be so fast and you'll be running from one mob to the next as fast as your feet can carry you so that you can start spamming buttons again there will be a lot less social chat.
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    Like most MMOs, combat and being social are mutually exclusive. You can only do one or the other. No one will be typing much during fights. Since fights will be so fast and you'll be running from one mob to the next as fast as your feet can carry you so that you can start spamming buttons again there will be a lot less social chat.

Guss i'll need to to accept this. In ffxi we had a designated puller, while everyone else just waited for the mob to show up. Plus i was a whm for years, i very rarely watched the combat, i just stared at peaple HP, and healed, and cured stuff like paralized, which would show up in the chat channel. So ye i did stare at the chat pretty much the whole time while in groups. Guss nowadays you dont have to?

Originally posted by Dzone

Guss i'll need to to accept this. In ffxi we had a designated puller, while everyone else just waited for the mob to show up. Plus i was a whm for years, i very rarely watched the combat, i just stared at peaple HP, and healed, and cured stuff like paralized, which would show up in the chat channel. So ye i did stare at the chat pretty much the whole time while in groups. Guss nowadays you dont have to?

It's more visual these days and most MMO's are trying to get away from staring at the UI playing whack-a-mole healing.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by Leiloni You set up macros so you can spend more time typing instead of talking? That's crazy. Most people would prefer to actually play the game and most people prefer a more involved pace of combat because it keeps it interesting. If you don't have to pay attention to what you're doing, that gets boring really fast. And most people don't like having to type a ton, nor do they like having to watch a chat box when they'd prefer to watch the fight. Voice chatting is much eaiser and more convenient which is why people use it.

You kidding me ? :D

i have seen the (new) benchmark and ESPECIALY the fight against Ifrit <----OMGOMGOMGOMGOM !!!
    If its even remotly challeging then you cant type.
    There are even trheads about lowering the global cooldown as it was to long.
    I agree that combat doesnt have to be super fast as doing that for hours can hurt your fingers and cuase cramp :P

But typing when in combat ? focus on dps / healing / tanking and type after that ? :)

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Dzone

Cube 2 is a great game if you want to smash buttons real fast and see a sentence every now and then.