Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: HEX: Exploring the World of Entrath

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptozoic announced less than two weeks ago that it would be developing HEX, a new trading card game, and that they would be starting a KickStarter campaign. Fast forward to today and we find a fully-funded game and a preview of why HEX is bound to be one of the most popular TCGs on the market. Read on and then leave your impressions in the comments.

Hex is a fully digital F2P TCG that takes place on the imaginary world of Entrath. The planet was hit with a meteor known as Hex that bored through its north pole and out its south creating two gigantic volcanoes and spewing out “hex gems” that could be harnessed for great power. The gems also hid a more sinister purpose though, and when placed in the eyes of a corpse the body would rise from its eternal slumber and do the bidding of a mysterious alien consciousness  The humans of Entrath didn’t take too kindly to their tombs being raided and their once great heroes and kings being turned into alien controlled space zombies and the two sides quickly started to clash. 

Read more of Blake Morse's HEX: Exploring the Imaginary World of Entrath.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52

You keep calling it a Trading card game.  Isn't it an Online Collectable card game, with no trading?

Also..."And while the game will initially only feature a core set of 300 cards, annual expansions are planned in the form of 3 blocks. When a new block comes into the play, the oldest will find its way out, keeping the rotation fresh."

So they can keep selling us new cards, and that's why theres no trading. Be prepared to spend alot and often.

• CyskClaypoolCyskClaypool Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Sparka

You keep calling it a Trading card game.  Isn't it an Online Collectable card game, with no trading?

Also..."And while the game will initially only feature a core set of 300 cards, annual expansions are planned in the form of 3 blocks. When a new block comes into the play, the oldest will find its way out, keeping the rotation fresh."

So they can keep selling us new cards, and that's why theres no trading. Be prepared to spend alot and often.

They announced AH. 

"Buy and sell cards, gear, and other in-game rewards in a robust and fully featured AUCTION HOUSE

A full player economy will allow you to trade and sell your gear and cards as you build the ultimate collection."

Quoted from their Kickstarter front page

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The major flaw with these games is that 99% s cards end up as trash and the ability to get the actual useful cards is very costly.

It ends up MUCH more costly than a fully fledged MMO while offering little that a MMO does.

I prefer a base subscription  and something more along the lines of MTGO tactics but with large real MMO type maps.

I do not like added or unforeseen costs in any game,it allows the developer to keep piling on costs once it has you hooked in.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GhorikaGhorika Member Posts: 8
    urban rivals is the best card game that i ever play :) try it
  • CyskClaypoolCyskClaypool Member UncommonPosts: 3

I don't think we can compare it to a MMO. It only has features from MMO(rpg) (from what I understood from their announcement).

And TCG often (always?) means money blackhole, even if they'll put VIP program

"VIP Program

There have been a lot of questions about the subscription feature. When naming it, we didn't really consider the dissonance that would occur with HEX, a free to play game, and the term 'subscription.' It's opt-in after all, providing each player a few packs each month at a discount and some cool bonus stuff like the monthly exclusive VIP tournament and the deck "goldfish" tool. It's all upside and none of it is needed to play. So, we're calling it the VIP Program to make sure nobody gets confused.

We've also received a lot of questions from backers worried that players will game the system, opening multiple accounts to stack VIP Program booster packs. This program is intended to be one-per-player as a cool way to let our community access some packs at a discount and get some sweet bonus stuff. But, we do understand that there will always be a small percentage of players who are always looking to game the system. Members on our team have dealt with this within digital TCGs for years, tracking this specific type of activity. So, we're aware of this issue and have team members, as well as powerful analytical tools to determine when this is occurring."

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

First I think you should of gave background on Cryptozoic.  Not many people know who they are.  The saved WOWTCG fro UDE, they produce great deck building games (DC is awesome) and have the knowledge to make a solid TCG.

This game is foremost a TCG hoping to make a solid splash into the digital scene.  Priced cheaper than MTGO that is its competition without a doubt.  This game has a solid core of people wanting to play based on its kickstarter.

I think without a doubt it'll be a solid TCG, the PVE is starting to come fourth with more information to make it garnish another look.

I myself bought 2x Pro Player tier from the kickstarter project and feel this game has a lot to offer for someone looking for a solid TCG with lots of cool mechanics but sound gameplay.  Add in the PVE part that may actually be quite fun, and its a solid game.

But do not kid yourselves.  The PVE is free.  But you will need to purchase some packs/starters to get yourself able to go.  The PVP (TCG competitve scene) is all going to cost money.

They have not taken a stance on outside selling, but the current belief is the same as it is in MTGO, they will not prevent the secondary market, but can't exactly authorize it mainly due to gambling laws.

• mase1771mase1771 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    To piggy back off of Kilun, Cryptozoic (CZE) makes some of the best board games I've ever played. My family loves Hot Rod Creeps and Epic Spell Wars. Make no mistake, they are a business and the sole purpose of businesses is to make money, but CZE is one of those companies that loves to do what they do and in my experience seems to be one of those companies that truly puts the customer first.
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    It will only come out on tablet if it funds $1.500.000, it still has a while to go, but I hope it does come out and gets funded for them, please I want to be able to play everywhere!!!!!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• kalakujakalakuja Member Posts: 24
    Why would i play this instead of magic the gathering online?
  • kjb619kjb619 Member Posts: 7
    They needed to add some better innovation. the online multiplayer card game called sanctum made by digital addiction is a perfect example. Had a board with your army on it, your cards affected the board, the army, the weather, anything. Like chess but with cards and a bigger army. That was a fun card game.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Already pledged long ago. This game looks very promising. 

You all shoud too, if you love mmorpg and tradingcard games !!

But I think this is to much expected from people here in mmorpg.com, the nexus of hate and greed.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Why is a card game even mentioned on this forum?  It has absolutely nothing to do with MMO's in the slightest!
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by kalakuja

the community of MODO (magic online) is somewhere between Heroes of Newerth and a cell block full of child molesters.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Because this is a full digital card game, not a digital representation of a physical game and as such limited in what it can do.

So there are things you cannot do in physical products, like having equipment or slots for gems in your cards, or things that dynamically change all cards in your deck by adding or removing pieces to them.

Also MTGO has no PvE whatsoever, so HEX appeals to casuals as well as hardcore.

This game cost much less than MTGO, with boosters priced at 2 dollars each.

As it is fully digital, the World Championship, the yearly super top tournament, takes its qualifiers in the digital game, this is potentially like SC 2 where the gateway to Pro player is just play the damn game.

Finally, this is your occasion to get into a TCG from day 1 instead of jumping on a boat going on for some years already.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

It's gonna be so expensive.

TCG are the definition of pay 2 win. Nothing you can do about that, just how it is with TCG. Still if I pay money for cards in something like this, I want physical.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Because it's a TCG MMO - go check out the Kickstarter.  You choose and level a class, your cards get equipment to wear and socket new abilities and skills, there are raids and PVE dungeons, guilds, achievements for each card, etc.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Why is a card game even mentioned on this forum?  It has absolutely nothing to do with MMO's in the slightest!

You are wrong, if it has the features and thousands of players,  they can call it an MMO, it will be just another variant . Just because the mechanics work slightly different does not mean it can't be an MMO.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

MTGO for one isn't very well designed to begin with and they are about to force players to use an even worse beta client in July. 

As others have mentioned this is designed to be first and foremost a digital TCG while MTGO is originally designed to be a paper card game which has limited in ways that Hex will not be. 

Also as others have mentioned the price is going to be less than that of MTGO. Also allowing for players to trade and sell on an Auction house without having to be worried about being spammed non stop by bots in the process is a plus. 

Lastly as has been mentioned as well there is PvE which MTGO does not offer. 

In the end it's about preference but with the current direction of MTGO I personally am looking forward to Hex. 

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

TCG are the definition of pay 2 win. Nothing you can do about that, just how it is with TCG. Still if I pay money for cards in something like this, I want physical.

I do not want something physical.  Married with jobs and kids makes playing difficult.  I enjoyed Stargate TCG from SOE for nearly 2 years before I sold my collection (spent about 250-300 total, made about 100 on stuff back) and the whole appeal was it was all digital.  Meaning I could play whenever.

Cryptozoic knows this and I hope they get it right.  They know the TCG crowd is a bit older than it used to be, though my area has literally 6 hobby shops within an hours drive of me, I'd rather stay at home and not go anywhere and have game nights with friends and family than a room full of smelly fat dudes wearing clothes that are to small for them.

• CrackboneCrackbone Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by kilun
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

I do not want something physical.  Married with jobs and kids makes playing difficult.  I enjoyed Stargate TCG from SOE for nearly 2 years before I sold my collection (spent about 250-300 total, made about 100 on stuff back) and the whole appeal was it was all digital.  Meaning I could play whenever.

Cryptozoic knows this and I hope they get it right.  They know the TCG crowd is a bit older than it used to be, though my area has literally 6 hobby shops within an hours drive of me, I'd rather stay at home and not go anywhere and have game nights with friends and family than a room full of smelly fat dudes wearing clothes that are to small for them.

Bingo. 

I used to play MTG quite a bit with friends when I didn't have a full time job, a 2 month old, a wife, etc. 

The demographic is changing, and as you so eloquently stated, I'd rather be at home with a beer in front of my iPad or PC rather than dealing with smelly obese prepubescents at a card shop on a Friday night.  

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130
    Indeed, Sold my MTG collection a few years ago. I actually loved playing MTGO but the price was a bit too high. I personally am really excited for HEX. TCG + Digital + Trading platform + Limited mtg-style tournaments = awesome.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• aberryaberry Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Garbage that urban rivals!!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Isane

You are wrong, if it has the features and thousands of players,  they can call it an MMO, it will be just another variant . Just because the mechanics work slightly different does not mean it can't be an MMO.

You are kidding right?  Just because it is online does not make it a MMO in the slightest.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    I could never get into magic the gathering, though I love card games. I'm hoping to get into this one on the ground floor...also Blizzard is making a card game as well...go figure right called hearthstone, and its digital as well. I'll play both if I can. I think they are having beta for theirs fairly soon.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Isane

You are kidding right?  Just because it is online does not make it a MMO in the slightest.

It might not be an MMORPG but it is an MMO, just like World of Tanks is an MMO.  It gets confusing around here sometimes because this site is called MMORPG.com yet they cover many MMOs with no rpg elements in them.  Also, if D3 can be classified as an MMO, then so can this.  In the end, what does it matter what people call it?  Its either going to be good or its not.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.