Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of " a-way-of-life " mmo's

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I started out several years ago playing mmo's because they were more than a video game, but more a way of life.....This is the ONLY reason I enjoyed mmo's. Don't get me wrong I tried to balance real life too. For the past two years I've been searching for that feeling. I just can't scratch that itch I have.

I CAN'T USE THE WORDS, OLD SCHOOL. The words "old school" should not even be used.

I CAN USE THE WORDS, A WAY OF LIFE. This is what should have evolved. Better graphics, game play, coding of the way of life.

The full list of mmo's that were a way-of-life ( nothing to do with old school ).

- Everquest 1

- Everquest 2

- Ultima Online

- Vanilla WoW

- Eve

- Vanguard

- DAOC

- Final Fantasy 11

- SWG

- LOTRO

- Guild Wars 1

This is it. I may have missed one or two but for the most part this is it. Some were not my style but that's not what the list is about. I wish mmos should have evolved using a way of life instead of fun to play cash grabs with others around you on a screen.

Please add if I missed one.

Comments

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Pulling a lot of people into a nice mmo to "live" there for a while  was great.  It was new to everyone so we noticed all that was good at first.  But the people playing the games saw where the games could use some improvement.  There was no way to communicate this to the game owners.  We are separated from them.  Plus, we don't all agree on what needs improved.  There will always be a gigantic divide between PvP adn PvE.  When the owners did take time to listen it was always to the loudest chick in the nest - PvP'ers.  So even if they listened at all the majority of us got ignored, got mad, and stomped off.  Games that survived were World of Warcraft because they allowed modders/hackers in to keep a feeling like the people had at least some control of the game.  But it still wasn't enough control.

That sense that you're all living together in a world is usually coined phrased, "part of the community."  There was always this feeling like today I might make a new friend.  Or enemy, lol.  I had some people really treat me like crap in games when I was just looking for a few buddies.  I used to be a part of a guild that laughed, joked, and cried tears of joy together.  Till one of them found out I was gay and started harassing me behind the other's backs.  No problem I left and moved on but I'm not the only one who lost a good guild or two do to trolling.  Game makers cannot do anything about making players nicer to each other and kindness perpetuates a game's sense of livability.  Or can they?

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

FFXI sure was a Way of life for me. I used to get home and log in to that game after work for like 5 hours everyday. I work 3rd shift and i would log on at like 7 am and be on there till like 10 pm next night, if it was my night off. I was that dedicated to that game. I really enjoyed the community of it, never had to blacklist anyone.

I played it for several years and still remember some of the peaple i played along side, and still have fond memories of that, even after like 6 years since i played it. That game was very special for me and was truly my 2nd Way of Life.

Ironically i was kinda shy in RL, and still am, but in FFxi i had no trouble socilizing and making friends, i really miss those days.

I really hope that ffxiv ARR brings back the magic that ffxi used to have.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    You missed Vendetta Online - huge metagame to that one.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

Pulling a lot of people into a nice mmo to "live" there for a while  was great.  It was new to everyone so we noticed all that was good at first.  But the people playing the games saw where the games could use some improvement.  There was no way to communicate this to the game owners.  We are separated from them.  Plus, we don't all agree on what needs improved.  There will always be a gigantic divide between PvP adn PvE.  When the owners did take time to listen it was always to the loudest chick in the nest - PvP'ers.  So even if they listened at all the majority of us got ignored, got mad, and stomped off.  Games that survived were World of Warcraft because they allowed modders/hackers in to keep a feeling like the people had at least some control of the game.  But it still wasn't enough control.

That sense that you're all living together in a world is usually coined phrased, "part of the community."  There was always this feeling like today I might make a new friend.  Or enemy, lol.  I had some people really treat me like crap in games when I was just looking for a few buddies.  I used to be a part of a guild that laughed, joked, and cried tears of joy together.  Till one of them found out I was gay and started harassing me behind the other's backs.  No problem I left and moved on but I'm not the only one who lost a good guild or two do to trolling.  Game makers cannot do anything about making players nicer to each other and kindness perpetuates a game's sense of livability.  Or can they?

We bought in the builders to give the place a makeover and they changed our home into a mall.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Scot

We bought in the builders to give the place a makeover and they changed our home into a mall.

I don't live in games. I play them for entertainment. So i would count that as a positive. Living = doing many mundane stuff. I would rather not do that in a game.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Ya missed the original Asheron's Call

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Mabinogi.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Curiously most of the titles the OP listed would fall under the category of old school design, even if he's trying to refashion them with his "newspeak"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    Ya missed the original Asheron's Call

This.

I came into the thread to be either references or entirely about this gem, but it's not even listed...

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I still have way of life at runescape, as I can log there for free and chat with good old friends.
    Funny to notice, but many of them got married because of this game.
    I would not tell I still like RS, it too outdated for my taste and way too "old school" grind, but it cool to chat with friends from whole globe.

Strange, but I found great community at Forsaken World. May be because of not very high population, people know each other, have chat and other non-game fun together, so it looks like social tool more than simple MMO.

may be I play MMO not for gaming but most for having large social life impossible in real world as I can't bring together like 30-40 person daily and chat with them.

also in real life we try more to hide our problems while in virtual space we seems to be more relax and deep.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Curiously most of the titles the OP listed would fall under the category of old school design, even if he's trying to refashion them with his "newspeak"

People creating their own terms to own them is funny.  Kids these days.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    EVE for sure and I'd argue it's a healthy 'way of life' hobby. I was a hard core hobby player of SWG with harvesters and hide spawns but I never felt the daunting elements of null EVE. I can usually tell the difference between an enthusiasm for a game and an OCD addiction. One is good, the other? Not so much.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by revy66
    Mabinogi.

Came in to say this. And Final Fantasy XI.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

this has been said before in other threads, but i think what we all miss so much is virtual worlds with living breathing virtual communities that we could feel part of while we played.

they dont make those anymore, at least not in my experience so far. SWG was great for me as my first 3D mmorpg b/c it was a world and it had people living how they chose (obviously within certain constraints). and all these people interacted in all of the wonderful, glorious, dysfunctional ways that humans do when we get together.

you miss a 'real' world is what you miss.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by chelan
    this has been said before in other threads, but i think what we all miss so much is virtual worlds with living breathing virtual communities that we could feel part of while we played.they dont make those anymore, at least not in my experience so far. SWG was great for me as my first 3D mmorpg b/c it was a world and it had people living how they chose (obviously within certain constraints). and all these people interacted in all of the wonderful, glorious, dysfunctional ways that humans do when we get together.
    Not all gamers do. Note the following, very common attitude:

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    I don't live in games. I play them for entertainment. So i would count that as a positive. Living = doing many mundane stuff. I would rather not do that in a game.
    These people just don't get what MMORPGs are all about. What they want are found in many different and various other genres and platforms. This is what "the new masses" want in their MMOs, leaving those who actually enjoyed the older MMORPGs without.

And the funny thing is... Most of these players pay almost nothing for their gaming. And brag about it.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    It just depends on how you look at things.  League of Legends is a way of life to some people.  The addicting games that become a way of life for a person depend entirely on their own preferences.  Some people also enjoy playing Pay to Win cash grabs while throwing money at them constantly.  Just about anything can really pull you in if you let it.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by chelan
    this has been said before in other threads, but i think what we all miss so much is virtual worlds with living breathing virtual communities that we could feel part of while we played.

they dont make those anymore, at least not in my experience so far. SWG was great for me as my first 3D mmorpg b/c it was a world and it had people living how they chose (obviously within certain constraints). and all these people interacted in all of the wonderful, glorious, dysfunctional ways that humans do when we get together.
    Not all gamers do. Note the following, very common attitude:

These people just don't get what MMORPGs are all about. What they want are found in many different and various other genres and platforms. This is what "the new masses" want in their MMOs, leaving those who actually enjoyed the older MMORPGs without.

And the funny thing is... Most of these players pay almost nothing for their gaming. And brag about it.

This is the truth. They also hate anything that requires a "group". I always want to tell those people to go play a Co-op RPG or a single player game. I hate this whole no competition, everything is solo-able age. I miss having real communities in a game. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Wherever I lay my hat, that’s my home. Spread your wings a bit, a MMO or anything else for that matter does not have to be just entertainment, or indeed just any one thing. MMOs and anything in life are what you make of them, the community is there, why not use it?

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

I think that there are still quite a few "way of life" games out there, there just aren't a lot of "way of life" people anymore.  Priorities have changed, the people who play these games have changed, and so of course the feeling you get when you play them has changed.

Make no mistake, every little kid out there who grew up with teamspeak, ventrillo, or whatever other voice program literally destroying any of the anonymity needed in order to roleplay (because roleplaying is in fact a goofy thing for most humans to do in front of, or even in earshot of another human) still feels that they were in a "way of life" game, just not the "way of life" game that you were in.

As for the games themselves, well, cash shops can enhance a game greatly.  I, for one, enjoyed all of the outfits, mounts, and different things that EQ2 put into it's cash shop.  I did not enjoy the concept that if you paid for APB you became the Saint of Killers in a world full of Barney Fife's, and it was that exact imbalance, making it impossible for me to take real credit for my wins if I paid, and impossible to win if I did not pay, that caused me to stop playing that game.

Some ideas are just bad ideas.  But not all of them, you just have to really look deeply into what the developers of said game are trying to accomplish, and most importantly these days, which I believe is the real bane of the entire industry......

PLAY BY THE RULES!

If a LOT more of us did that then we would be having a lot more fun in just about any of these games we played.  But since it became a standard to cheat, side-step, and circumvent things in these games as a way of showing your intellectual superiority, it's no wonder why a lot of us never enjoy ourselves anymore.

As for my "way of life" MMO, I am finding Age of Wushu to be quite the time stealer for me right now.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Mabinogi.

If only they would fix the lag.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Mabinogi.

If only they would fix the lag.

Moving to new servers soon - they've held two stress tests the past few weeks for them.

Wherever I lay my hat, that’s my home. Spread your wings a bit, a MMO or anything else for that matter does not have to be just entertainment, or indeed just any one thing. MMOs and anything in life are what you make of them, the community is there, why not use it?

Because i chose not to? MMO does not have to be just entertainment. And MMO can be just entertainment. That is how i chose to see it. Just entertainment.

Why? Because i like it that way. It is my entertainment, i can do whatever i like.

I already have a life. I don't need a second one. I already have a community .. game community is just some friendly people i can play with. There is no mystery to it.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I am entertained when the mmo makes me feel like im living in it as the classic mmos did.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    SWG!!!!! <3 <3 <3 5 almost 7 years on that one.
    Originally posted by tkreep

I am entertained when the mmo makes me feel like im living in it as the classic mmos did.

And i feel classic MMOs are too boring, and too much work, and not entertaining enough.

I am entertained when MMO makes me feel like i am playing a real fun game as the modern MMOs did.