Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8.33 user rating????

How can this game have such a high rating? 9 out of 10 people trying it get disappointed. Steam and mmorpg.com forums are packed with people saying the game is crap.

How can it have such a high score? Makes me suspicious about the scoring system...

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I imagine it would only be fair to try the game and see for yourself.   Remember its very easy to skew ratings both ways.  I've seen it done many, many times as many others have.
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by huxflux2003

How can this game have such a high rating? 9 out of 10 people trying it get disappointed. Steam and mmorpg.com forums are packed with people saying the game is crap.

How can it have such a high score? Makes me suspicious about the scoring system...

If you go to a game's mainpage on this site and click the "ratings" tab, fairly near the top you'll see how many votes the user rating is based off. In the case of DF:UW it was ~250 when I checked (as opposed to nearly 1k for GW2; I actually expected the difference to be larger but then I suppose MMORPG.com is a bastion of MMO hipsterism so a more mainstream commercial title won't necessarily have the same proportion of its fanbase hanging around here as something like DF).

Additionally there is an arcane (well, not literally secret, it's been explained occasionally) forumla by which ratings for games besides the top-voted one get scaled as a function of the top-voted game's rating.

Finally there's the oft-repeated truisms that (1) *everything* has a "hatedom" and (2) someone who likes and is enjoying playing a game might come here long enough to give it a high rating but is likely to prefer spending their time actually, well, playing the game than arguing in its defence on an internet forum.

P.S. I don't play Darkfall and have no intention of doing so -- I do however have purely selfish reasons for wishing the game well.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Probably because most of the people posting play the game and so feel they need to reinforce their choice of game by being positive. The rest of us stay away from the game and the forums.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

suspicious about scoring system or about the origin of trolling/negative posts?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Zushakon
    [mod edit]

I agree with you but find fanbois just as bad which is strange since they should be spending  their time playing their chosen cause.Also who really cares about ratings one way or another on this site?

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Don't trust these boards, them haters are passionate no-lifers with nothing better to do.

I agree with you but find fanbois just as bad which is strange since they should be spending  their time playing their chosen cause.Also who really cares about ratings one way or another on this site?

I suspect the answer may be found in Urban Dictionary, sub voce "E-peen"

• huxflux2003huxflux2003 Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Manolios

suspicious about scoring system or about the origin of trolling/negative posts?

Why be suspicious about the negative posts? For example I bought the thing, tried it out, got really pissed off about being scammed and now come here and post negative things. Sounds legit.

Please don't start with the conspiracy theories against AV... PLEASE!

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

The rating system is opinion based.  Fanboi vs hater.  Always look for yourself, never go by what this site has rated a game.  These guys (admins and most of the membership) love the next shiny with no regard to how the game actually is.  Keep that in mind.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    Rating system is about who has more dedication: fanboys or haters. Fanboys vote 10's and haters 1's. You cant blame them - after one side sees other vote all 10's or all 1's, they start doing vice versa and so nobody is voting reallistically, only superfluous 10's and 1's. So yep. That's why. Guess not enough haters care to downvote DF or it has enough dedicated fanboys to upvote it.
  • BraavosiBraavosi Member Posts: 149

The bashing of this game is getting a little out of hand.

Personally I was not a DF1 player for more than a couple days due to computer issues. I picked up DFUW recently and am loving every minute of it. It isn't a themepark grinding BG's all day. It's different in a good way. The game reminds me of old school games I used to play.

Sure the company struggles with PR and updates. They are a very small team. One that I am glad to support by paying for the game. Because I like the game.

I've got friends and seen others that say this game is a scam. I'm completely the opposite. I think big companies that release a game then push cash shop items down your throat are a scam.

Thats why I voted this game UP.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    I've wondered the same thing OP, but the answer is obvious when you really think about it. It's a perfect demonstration at how far a loyal playerbase can take a game, even they don't number in the millions.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    [mod edit]

This is what it boils down to.

The emotional pain DF has caused over the years transcends time. It's a phenomenon.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Flawed product that provides a level of entertainment you won't find in any other game.  Would have to pay me to play any other game, the competition is nonexistent.

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

How can this game have such a high rating? 9 out of 10 people trying it get disappointed. Steam and mmorpg.com forums are packed with people saying the game is crap. How can it have such a high score? Makes me suspicious about the scoring system...

This site is paid by game developers its like another advertising. They spend some money and there you go your amazing hype/rating. ;)

And at steam forums the devs itself delete all critic posts, so you will not find pretty much "hate" post there too.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    The user score and hype meter on this website are complete and utter garbage in terms of finding out anything useful.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Yeah, AV Censors topic.

One guy made a thread about being interested in the game. Some well thought out posts were put in response, though negative in nature, pointing out flaws the game had.

A few hours later, every negative comment was deleted, only leaving the ones that told him "Buy it, it's worth it!" literally, a sentence or two, versus paragraphs of the games strengths AND weaknesses.

They don't want any negativity. It's bull.

Being a company means taking the good...with the bad.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

The company is lead in majority by Lawyers (board of directors) . Every update and i guess every sentence is filtered by lawyers. That's why there is sparse communication with the playerbase and community.

These company has been paranoid about their customer from the beginning (in which they didn't had customers) and tried to manipulate any communication including all the lies that they told to their advantage.

There was only one period of time there was real communication and close contact to their community, that was the Razorwax time with the Norwegians developers  prior AV took over.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight Member UncommonPosts: 89

Diablo III has 6.9 and i consider it an excellent game, and i am not the only one - thousands play it everyday, probably millions.

Path of Exile has 8.2 and i remember falling asleep while playing it, it's soooooo friggin boring. GW2 has 8.6 and playing it makes me wanna drown puppies in gasoline.

It's all a matter of perspective, i wouldn't use the rating system as a guideline to judge a game, remember that points of view changes a lot from player to player.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Actually if you try to play it you get hooked.  When you expect WoW and don't make it out of the tutorial you do reviews like Eurogamer does.

Darkfall - 10 out of 10

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Because we got hyped too early and we are too lazy to down vote the game. My rating for darkfall UW is top 10 and i'm too lazy to turn it back down to 6 or below. I'm sure it's the same thing for everyone else.

Also, even if i hate how DF UW is right now, i want it to succeed like anyone else who wish to see sandbox games succeed and we want them to become mainstream.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    [mod edit]

This is what it boils down to.

The emotional pain DF has caused over the years transcends time. It's a phenomenon.

Apparently some mod is affected as well, cause one of them is on a crusade against me, temp banning me and giving me warnings for nothing at all. =/

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

Actually if you try to play it you get hooked.  When you expect WoW and don't make it out of the tutorial you do reviews like Eurogamer does.

Darkfall - 10 out of 10

Ironically DF:UW is the result of  the eurogamer review  on the original DF. If someone  read Zitrons review he ll find AV worked the most on those fields that bugged eddie boy the most.  Bag system, animations, UI, safezones, big reticle cause Eddie boy could not see what he hit   etc...

DF:UW is Eurogamer version of orginal DF..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Darkfall - 10 out of 10

Ironically DF:UW is the result of  the eurogamer review  on the original DF. If someone  read Zitrons review he ll find AV worked the most on those fields that bugged eddie boy the most.  Bag system, animations, UI, safezones, big reticle cause Eddie boy could not see what he hit   etc...

DF:UW is Eurogamer version of orginal DF..

10/10 great post.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Because we got hyped too early and we are too lazy to down vote the game. My rating for darkfall UW is top 10 and i'm too lazy to turn it back down to 6 or below. I'm sure it's the same thing for everyone else.

Also, even if i hate how DF UW is right now, i want it to succeed like anyone else who wish to see sandbox games succeed and we want them to become mainstream.

And misery loves company.

• CoolaidCoolaid Member UncommonPosts: 70

Darkfall - 10 out of 10

Yep