Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest mmo since WoW

Comments

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by JCBN

This is not a new game...

I allready wasted cash on this once... i wont make the same mistake twice.

If this game gets 75 billion subsribers... i will not be one of them, and i could not care less.

Watch the new video ? here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQ87KtH1G8

I am in Beta and I have played V1 . V1 and ARR are two different games. The plot might be somewhat the same . The world and cities are the same but the game over all is different . Very very different . When Phase 4 is out go play it phase 4 is open beta . I will also be streaming the game live on my LS website and twitch when we can . A lot of people are going to say OMG when they finally get to play it.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Daventry85
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    They rename Final fantasy to Wildstar? I missed something.

Wildstar is turning out to be the do all , MMO of this generation... when Wildstar comes out I see blizzard trying to ship another X-pac because they gonna be losing about 50% of their subs.

If you loved ARR then good for you , but its just awesome graphics , shallow combat , basic everything really... nothing says NEW they copy pasted every MMO from the past 10 years , not one thing they have is different.

HAHA! Yes and wildstar didnt copy anything right???

Every MMO that comes copy the old.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    not talking about before but after world of warcraft , there is non that have been greater unfortunately.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya
    Originally posted by JCBN

This is not a new game...

I allready wasted cash on this once... i wont make the same mistake twice.

If this game gets 75 billion subsribers... i will not be one of them, and i could not care less.

Watch the new video ? here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQ87KtH1G8

I am in Beta and I have played V1 . V1 and ARR are two different games. The plot might be somewhat the same . The world and cities are the same but the game over all is different . Very very different . When Phase 4 is out go play it phase 4 is open beta . I will also be streaming the game live on my LS website and twitch when we can . A lot of people are going to say OMG when thet actuality get to see the game played . Opinions will change .

I'll second this and stay away from these threads until the NDA is dropped and the game has been played by many so I can give real opinions based on real information. Until then, just trust that this game is completely and undeniably different from 1.0. Try to have a little faith in Yoshi and give this game a try during open beta at the very least. I think most will be very very pleased.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I remember  FF11 at its highest having about 2 million subs at one point in time.  I wouldnt be surprised if FF reborn got about 1 million subs or just close to it especially now that it will bring in PS3 users at the same time and because its a lot more casual friendly than FF11 was back in the day. Also including Japanese players as Final Fantasy 11 was the most popular mmo in Japan cuz they sure do love their final fantasy as much as south koreans love their starcraft especially from my experience playing with them on FF11.

In 2006, between 200,000 and 300,000 active players logged in per day, and the game was the dominant MMORPG in Japan.[5] In 2008 Square Enix noted that Final Fantasy XI had a strong user base of around 500,000 subscribers,[6] and in April 2009, announced that the total number of active characters exceeded 2 million for the first time.[7] Square Enix president Yoichi Wada announced in June 2012 that Final Fantasy XI had become the most profitable title in the Final Fantasy series.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Going up against ESO could be tough if timing works out that way.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Personally, I liked ff14 1.0 later on in its life, in FF14ARR i am glad they sped crafting up, a lot of the gear you use is actually crafted by players and not just some drop off some random mob in a forest. The gathering was streamlined to be made much faster, as was crafting. My biggest worry honestly is how shitty the summoner class will be (it was pretty shitty in ff11 due to no real worth of having them kept out when I played). I am also worried about the leveling speed, ff14 1.0 you'd level way to damn fast to 50, and the game kinda had a lack of stuff to do at 50. I personally hope they make it pretty slow, like not quite old school ff11 to 75 slow, a bit faster than that but not much. I'd like a team based mmo, not another mmo where you can solo to lv cap in 2-3 days, I don't care if it has multiple jobs. I also plan to start all over and have my new char funded by my old one assuming I play on the same server as her. Reason for this is because I want to experience the new world, and you really can't do that when all your chars are 35-40+ mostly. So my char will probally be a lowbie with a platinum Gil spoon in her mouth.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• duuude007duuude007 Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by ZombieKen
    Going up against ESO could be tough if timing works out that way.

Or not.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

in Japan this title will likely have a huge draw, but everywhere else, not so much.  (much like XI)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Yeah it might be the greatest "WoW-clone-MMO" since WoW, very likely.

Wonder if anyone but Final Fantasy fans will play it though...

I'd like to see the NDA lifted / Open Beta / Free weekend before stating anything clear. So far though, I just think everything looks and feels overly generic. Which, in all fairness, is to be expected from a game launched in 2010 (no matter the make-up they put on it). The fact that they don't NEED to release it as F2P like every other older MMO out there just shows that there are cohorts of fans (mostly in Japan) waiting to play it.

The level of hype it has on the other hand, AMAZING! Kudos to you guys for being so hyped up!

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon
    Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

Yes. Because female gamers only care about stuff like in-game marriage and looking pretty.

Clearly you've been single too long..

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Greatest? I don't think so. I hope it 's a good game though. IMO nothing in it advertises to me to want to play it.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Let's pull back the hype just a tad and just forward to a game with a great story, combat that they're updating with player feedback every phase and a beautiful world to explore.

In addition we also have to consider whatever limitations it going to consoles natural gives its (especially when considering combat and how imputing commands may take longer with a console / targeting mobs on screen).

But yes, the game has quite a bit of features that seem to be fan-tastics such as chocobo raising / using chocobos as battle partners and equiping them to housing neighborhoods (which I always look for and quite the few games are coming out with) and graphics / aesthetics that are incredibly pleasing to look at on the PC version.  

We also have to consider the horrid attention span of MMO gamers nowadays and how they would quit and uninstall a game before even making a character or after just reading the tutorial of a game if they get bored enough.  There's little indication that the game starts off fast or slow by what was stated publicly (aside from an interview where Yoshi-P said he didn't want things too complex at low levels and confuse people while they're still learning).  We could also guess that we won't get such things as chocobos until about level 20 (as was FFXI), housing will be towards end game as he stated a while ago that real estate will be very expensive and go down over time in the instanced neighborhoods (and the beautiful areas / scenery they get) and since you can attach chocobo farms to houses, it's (chocobo raising/farming) likely to be late in game as well.

Not to mention that Gold Saucer will likely not appear until a later patch, as will such classes as Ninja and Samurai.

With the latest information that was made public it seems the character creation process was greatly improved on.  That should help quell those who quit after seeing a bad one of these.  The graphics and the world seem to be top notch, so at the very least that means that some will judge it on the first couple tutorial quests which will likely be just teaching you the starting intricacies of the combat system on the wildlife (much like fighting bunnies outside of San'Doria back in FFXI).   This may instantly put people off and they aren't likely to get the where the storyline begins / be invested in it enough before losing interest in the game or even get to level 15 to be shown the other towns and the first (again introduction) dungeon.

Naturally there will also be those who say "WoW clone" as there are with every game, and while that is rarely true when it comes to games, it will offput many as well.

The real income will likely come from the console players as they finally "upgrade" from FFXI to FFXIV, or be happy they get a "true" MMORPG on their platform finally.  Though I'm finding it unlikely that it will surpass 750,000 subscribers at start (though I would be pleasantly surprised if I were wrong; the initial prediction may increase as/if they brilliantly expose the game more before launch).

With the game having three main storylines to start (which will be progressed with patches alongside new classes from time to time), hopefully people will stay for those and when such things were released as well as the great many other features the game will have.  The last thing I think many of us want is another P2P to fail (as much as I personal dislike the payment model) and make a Final Fantasy game a F2P one (which I also dislike).  This is especially true since they completely remade their game and their engine from scratch as opposed to taking the easier route (despite any optimistic or pessimistic views on what that happened).  There are quite a few features which I don't feel comfortable talking about, but they know that a game can't just thrive on story alone and are implementing things to keep attention.

I'm interested in how limit breaks will be used in raids myself; maybe even summoners or the Free Company summons (of which the concept was introduced a year ago in a letter from the producer) that can summon full primals to help them after they accomplish a nearly impossible linkshell quest.  But as of yet these features have only been talked about a long time ago in a letter, with the limit break shown in the limit break video a year ago.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Never going to happen. This game will be very lucky to be as successful as XI. 
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Reserton

The crafting system is not in anyway "deep" it is just long and at times a monotonous process, this will anything but attract people, especially not "WoW" people who will get bored of crafting in a second.

ARR is very likely to be another floptastic mess. Very few people will be willing to put money on the line for what was a disaster.

The crafting was not too deep, as you said.  It did have a specific storyline for each crafting class along with class gear for crafting in general though.  It was also very long and incredibly tedious as you say.  Though at the same time, that is what sparked interest in it for those of use who played games such as Ultima Online back in the day (and how it took like nine months to get a GM blacksmith if you mined everything yourself).  I made hundreds of millions because of how hard it was in UO, just as I made tens of millions weekly on FFXIV since hardly anyone had the crafting leveled.

Unfortunately (for people like me and not the game itself) it is likely they improved crafting quite a bit and made it quicker to level and more entertaining as a whole.  This will likely be well met with many crafters, but I cannot go into exact detail as to what has changed just yet.

Let's hope that it doesn't turn into a mess.  They put a tremendous amount of work into it and have been listening to nearly all the feed back given to them.  They took the path less traveled and remade the entire game, engine and all, while also apologizing profusely on a bi-weekly basis and thanking those who stuck with them to support them.  It's one of the first companies where I read an in depth apology as to just how the first game came to be, admitting their hubris and stupidity in the matter (all their words from multiple letters) and that they intend to spare no expense in making a new MMORPG that people will enjoy much more all the while keeping their promise to the PS3 crowd that it will be released.

In my opinion it wouldn't be a failure of a company if FFXIV goes F2P, but rather of the community that didn't take the path less traveled themselves and give them a second chance / not judge it instantly after logging in and spend the full month (when it's fully released) seeing what it offers and what future patches will give it.

I'm sure other companies are looking to this to see if a precedence is set.  Is it worth completely remaking a game that initially failed?  Perhaps other games that do not fix the major problems of a MMO and simply just release it as F2P are doing it right if people won't give a game that ponies up the money to fix these things a second chance.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    The poor FF fanbois don't realize that very few jaded WoW veterans are going to find a game that plays incredibly similar to WoW appealing.
    Originally posted by Kyleran

in Japan this title will likely have a huge draw, but everywhere else, not so much.  (much like XI)

The Final Fantasy IP and Square-Enix is just popular as a lot of western IPs and game companies in the western world especially ever since FF7 and especially to the console market.  And FF11 was a pretty damn success in the west as much as it was in Japan. Not as popular as WoW of course but compared to every other mmo yes and its still since its release a p2p title while many of the AAA western titles the past 10 years are going f2p. And even while the older mmos such as EQ 1-2 and vanguard have gone f2p and the Death of SWG FF11 still stands as a p2p title as it always has.

• jabhamanojabhamano Member Posts: 22

amount of WoW subs defines how great game is ? most of those are gold farmers and bots, rest of it you can divide by few, since its popular in that game to have sub'ed more than one account in order to be more effective. blizzard loves multiboxing players. 

fix your reasoning guyz, dont get carried away by plain numbers. 

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Posts like this do nothing but drive animosity and argument between players. 
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by reeereee
    The poor FF fanbois don't realize that very few jaded WoW veterans are going to find a game that plays incredibly similar to WoW appealing.

This game players nothing similar to WoW people are hilarious.

Its as similar as any game released in the last 10 years so unless you play Darkfall, Wurm Online, or some other sandbox and enjoy ps2 like graphics and what you call innovative your playing a game similar to wow.

Square Enix has been making themeparks longer than Blizzard, so sorry Yoshi-P showed love to WoW and it's polish in an interview and now this is a WoW clone?

Did anyone bother to read OP's points or are people just flaming?

Console worldwide release, Non-western developer, first MMO to redevelop with NEW engine not makeup as some ill-informed poster put up earlier.

Oh and its P2P so i won't have to interact with half of the angry posters on here found in the cesspools of the f2p community.

500k+ subs will be considered a success and with PS3/4 + global PC version that's not unlikely with the amount of returning players and beta apps.

• ResertonReserton Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Let's pull back the hype just a tad and just forward to a game with a great story, combat that they're updating with player feedback every phase and a beautiful world to explore.

In addition we also have to consider whatever limitations it going to consoles natural gives its (especially when considering combat and how imputing commands may take longer with a console / targeting mobs on screen).

But yes, the game has quite a bit of features that seem to be fan-tastics such as chocobo raising / using chocobos as battle partners and equiping them to housing neighborhoods (which I always look for and quite the few games are coming out with) and graphics / aesthetics that are incredibly pleasing to look at on the PC version.  

We also have to consider the horrid attention span of MMO gamers nowadays and how they would quit and uninstall a game before even making a character or after just reading the tutorial of a game if they get bored enough.  There's little indication that the game starts off fast or slow by what was stated publicly (aside from an interview where Yoshi-P said he didn't want things too complex at low levels and confuse people while they're still learning).  We could also guess that we won't get such things as chocobos until about level 20 (as was FFXI), housing will be towards end game as he stated a while ago that real estate will be very expensive and go down over time in the instanced neighborhoods (and the beautiful areas / scenery they get) and since you can attach chocobo farms to houses, it's (chocobo raising/farming) likely to be late in game as well.

Not to mention that Gold Saucer will likely not appear until a later patch, as will such classes as Ninja and Samurai.

With the latest information that was made public it seems the character creation process was greatly improved on.  That should help quell those who quit after seeing a bad one of these.  The graphics and the world seem to be top notch, so at the very least that means that some will judge it on the first couple tutorial quests which will likely be just teaching you the starting intricacies of the combat system on the wildlife (much like fighting bunnies outside of San'Doria back in FFXI).   This may instantly put people off and they aren't likely to get the where the storyline begins / be invested in it enough before losing interest in the game or even get to level 15 to be shown the other towns and the first (again introduction) dungeon.

Naturally there will also be those who say "WoW clone" as there are with every game, and while that is rarely true when it comes to games, it will offput many as well.

The real income will likely come from the console players as they finally "upgrade" from FFXI to FFXIV, or be happy they get a "true" MMORPG on their platform finally.  Though I'm finding it unlikely that it will surpass 750,000 subscribers at start (though I would be pleasantly surprised if I were wrong; the initial prediction may increase as/if they brilliantly expose the game more before launch).

With the game having three main storylines to start (which will be progressed with patches alongside new classes from time to time), hopefully people will stay for those and when such things were released as well as the great many other features the game will have.  The last thing I think many of us want is another P2P to fail (as much as I personal dislike the payment model) and make a Final Fantasy game a F2P one (which I also dislike).  This is especially true since they completely remade their game and their engine from scratch as opposed to taking the easier route (despite any optimistic or pessimistic views on what that happened).  There are quite a few features which I don't feel comfortable talking about, but they know that a game can't just thrive on story alone and are implementing things to keep attention.

I'm interested in how limit breaks will be used in raids myself; maybe even summoners or the Free Company summons (of which the concept was introduced a year ago in a letter from the producer) that can summon full primals to help them after they accomplish a nearly impossible linkshell quest.  But as of yet these features have only been talked about a long time ago in a letter, with the limit break shown in the limit break video a year ago.

I stopped reading when you claimed Gold Saucer was appearing in a later patch, where do you such info?, as far as I am aware that is total and utter trash.  They will not be putting Gold saucer in the game. Anyone with common sense would know that.

Originally posted by Reserton

I stopped reading when you claimed Gold Saucer was appearing in a later patch, where do you such info?, as far as I am aware that is total and utter trash.  They will not be putting Gold saucer in the game. Anyone with common sense would know that.

MAC: With Magitek Armor, limit breaks, and other features from older games, how are you looking to blend these fan service aspects into Eorzea while still keeping it an original world? With talk of wanting to add in a Golden Saucer, are you wanting this to be a total fan service experience?
    NY: Naturally, we plan to incorporate these elements into A Realm Reborn in a way that best fits the game's themes. At the same time, players will be able to sense the influence of previous Final Fantasy titles throughout the lore, but don't worry--we won't be implementing anything that seems bizarre or out of place. You can find out for yourself when A Realm Reborn is released.

Golden Saucer
    The Golden Saucer will be a Las Vegas style experience, allowing you to play poker between players, bet on roulette, and enjoy original games as well. You can imagine the atmosphere will mesh well with the attitude of Ul’dah, where wealth equals power. With PVP content and the Housing System taking priority over the Golden Saucer, it will not be available at the launch of A Realm Reborn.

http://lodestoneradio.enjin.com/forum/m/7398450/viewthread/4391325-everything-about-realm-reborn/page/1

Final Fantasy XIV: ARR includes: FF6′s Magitek Armor, FF7′s Golden Saucer and FF3′s Crystal Tower

http://n4g.com/news/1064498/final-fantasy-xiv-arr-includes-ff6-s-magitek-armor-ff7-s-golden-saucer-and-ff3-s-crystal-tower

• XzitoXzito Member Posts: 43

Game failed once , evne the remake wont save it, grapgics are medicore gameplay is quite boring.

end /rant

Originally posted by Xzito

Game failed once , evne the remake wont save it, grapgics are medicore gameplay is quite boring.

end /rant

You lost me at graphics are mediocre...compared to which mmo?

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by Xzito

Game failed once , even the remake wont save it, graphics are mediocre gameplay is quite boring.

end /rant

I fixed your spelling for you.