Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Every MMO Have Too Much Trolls/Haters?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

i played  NW and Now Rift  too much (haters/trolls)  ppls talking  only about  WOW

for example

wow is frst mmo

wow is better then this game

this game is copy of wow

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    there are too many trolls because the orcs are on strike.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Only the most popular and most played MMOs get a large amount of trolls. It just comes with the territory.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Because for the most part, modern mmos aren't as good as the old ones, and there's certainly less variety.

Go back 10 years - EQ, daoc, uo, Ao, ac, planetside, eve, swg - all very different games to each other.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Well, Orcs do breed like rats (which is kind of odd, considering they're distorted from Elves).

I consider it a literary continuity flaw.

More seriously: it's just one aspect of gamer culture, forums are always overwhelmingly negative. It's what they exist for.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by davc123

i played  NW and Now Rift  too much (haters/trolls)  ppls talking  only about  WOW

for example

wow is frst mmo

this game is copy of wow

..because people be trolls/haters...No sarcasm there seriousness...

On that same note, if you want to see some "real, well thought out, old fashioned, hardcore trolling" see Darkfall, again serious not sarcastic.

I agree it can detract from gameplay, but that is why they give us block lists.

• MoutonDocileMoutonDocile Member Posts: 17
    It has nothing to do with a specific genre of game or a specific game. Life is filled with people. Lots of people are assholes/trolls. Games are full of people. Simple mathematics.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

With single player and multiplayer games, players don't tend towards out of game socializing nearly as much with MMOs because one of the ideas behind MMOs is that people socialize. Even today's fast pace anti-social MMOs are more social than LoL or SCII. This gets the trolls noticed.

Combined with the social side of things, MMO players tend to stick with a particular game longer on average than single player games. Even today's MMOs where people play for weeks or months instead of years they play longer than single player games. I'm not sure about multiplayer games like LoL and SCII. This allows trolls to get to people more than once, building on previous troll attempts.

People have strongly held beliefs about MMOs. Unlike single player or multiplayer games where the beliefs may change, or the games may fade quickly, MMOs tend to stick around, and the beliefs tend to get held for a long time. Strongly held beliefs are an easy target for trolls.

MMOs and the forums associated with MMOs are the perfect breeding ground for troll behavior. It doesn't create the trolls, but the trolls that find those forums find the perfect space in which to operate.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

If the things we play couldn't be redesigned, nerfed, cancelled or curtailed on whatever whim strikes a producer's fancy, we wouldn't care as much.  But as it stands now:

1)  Players usually play one MMO exclusively and become committed to them financially and emotionally.  They have an incentive to ensure the things they enjoy remain things they enjoy.

2)  This genre tends to make development decisions on the fly in response to market trends.  It prides itself on "never leaving production," which means the games are subject to change without notice.

3)  We've seen games get redesigned, cancelled, or altered out from under players.

4)  These factors tend to make players vested in the success of their game, which all too often implies the failure of competing games.

When the success of one game (WoW) can affect your game (SWG's NGE), you take an interest in the success of other games.  Say a game you don't like scores mega subscribers.  You don't want the people in charge of your game to change your game in response to the game you don't like.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, NW seems to not have handled their recent problems all that great, and if letting a known hack from another game, into their current 'beta' game, that is pretty bad.

I find taking people money in 'beta', and then not wiping stuff from 'beta' to be pretty odd.  If you are not wiping, you are not in beta imo.

I played the game in a earlier beta test, I didn't like it at all, but I do not troll on it, just wasn't my thing, and I am not a big fan of how they are doing their cash shop/beta.  I do not troll anyone for liking it though.

Rift....Played it at release, it was ok, but the 1 button macro stuff (that I think I read they got rid of), and the world was too small/railed at release for me.  Trion seemed like a pretty good company though.  I would say Rift is one of the more solid mmos to come out, in a field of many very mediocre mmos lately.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by DMKano

People are bored and acting out immature and repressed behaviors that they can't do in real life.

Its an outlet for acting stupid without any consequences.

This kind of behavior is frowned upon in RL, so those who do it in game get to feel rebellious as well as some get their need for attention met.

I'm going to go with this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Sovrath

People are bored and acting out immature and repressed behaviors that they can't do in real life.

This kind of behavior is frowned upon in RL, so those who do it in game get to feel rebellious as well as some get their need for attention met.

This is pretty much it right here.  

But there have always been trolls and etc in MMORPG's.  But general player interaction is way on the decline so the trolls stand out more.

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

My friend you have to realize something, and this goes for anything not just MMOs.

HATERS EVERYWHERE

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Learn some English, use the word critic instead of hater.  Few people hate these games, but they do criticize them alot.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158

Try to troll in DCUO. I dare you. :D Since most people have both hero and villain 30's you get camped ad nauseum. You try to troll sitting in the night club's/MPD? Quite often a GM will be nice enough to log you out 3 times then a ban.

DCUO handles the trolling quite well imho.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

It's become a pretty standard and cheesy line in chat now.. haven't you noticed...

It's like an 'in' joke. Those in the know.. know that those making those comments are just trying to see who bites. Those of us who know this just kind of smirk a little when they do. I never do it, for the record. I never would.. I'm more mature than that.

They are not hating, they are just teasing for a laugh. The people saying it don't really believe the things they are saying. It's just about trolling the uninitiated for kicks and nothing more.

Like on the Rift EU server.. Icewatch.. there was this one guy.. same person every time, every day.. saying WoW was the first MMO in chat, he said it once and didn't say anything else after that. Every day it sparked off a massive debate between people who had seen it for the first time. After seeing this over 5 times from the same guy it's pretty funny for those watching it. He became a bit of a celebrity (not really but you know what I mean; he was well known for this). Could be the same guy still doing it.

This thread is a prime example of what they are trying to do.. provoke those that don't know it's just one big joke.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ExittiumExittium Member UncommonPosts: 19

best I can say is... There's always going to be someone who hates the MMOs your playing, but You, your family and possibly friends enjoy the MMO's your playing therefore, the one's who hate or don't enjoy whatever MMO seem more vocal because how often do you read anything good over anything bad.. those who dislike/hate/don't enjoy will spew their rants and raves all over an MMO's forums while the one's who enjoy it and like it are busy playing, enjoying, and living in it with their character/s.

Forum's for the most part in a good majority of MMO's have been littered with trolls, which is why for the most part they lack any real information you maybe looking for. Which for myself I've always been a strong believer of "if you're not a subscriber, then you can't even access the forums"  It helps keep the trolling down as to compared letting anyone especially those who don't know what the MMO maybe in. 

And lastly trolls are just cyber instigators trying to ruffle a few feathers for some kicks and grins 

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Its because every game is the same. Gear based theme parks. Until someone figures out how to make a smash hit sandbox with good graphics and polish this is going to continue.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Most people mistake criticism of their favorite game as trolling instead of recognizing it as discussion and debate.

Or put another way, the only place trolls really exist is in fantasy mmorpgs, but for some reason people seem to think they see them on forums all the time.

Probably believe in ghosts too.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Mmo's are like marmite you either love it or hate it and its that simple + people think that other peeps would like to know how much they hate or love it :P
  • kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Because as a general rule, only people on opposite ends (love/hate) of the product satisfaction spectrum post on sites like this. The vast majority of the people in the middle don't bother. As a result, you mostly get post with extreme views. it doesn't just happen with MMOs. Go to a hunting forum and ask for what rifle is the best for deer hunting. You will see a crap storm erupt with people favoring this rifle or manufacturer while other say they are crazy and must be shills for XYZ company? Sound familiar? Welcome to online forums: Where only the fanatical post. Add to the mix the anonymity provided by posting online and you have the perfect storm of basic douchery. 

P.S. Off topic but to those that keep floating the belief that "old" games where sooooo much better than ones today... How are those rose colored glasses working out for you?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by textron
    Originally posted by Sovrath

This is pretty much it right here.  

But there have always been trolls and etc in MMORPG's.  But general player interaction is way on the decline so the trolls stand out more.

I will add my agreement with this assessment only adding a couple of things.

Fanbois are just the other side of the same coin as haters and equally guilty of trolling.

Negative opinion is neither hating,though continual repeating of said opinion excessively on any semi-related topic or continually creating threads to state it certainly is,nor trolling which are separate things.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by davc123

for example

wow is frst mmo

this game is copy of wow

you mind linking to examples of this trolling you speak of. Because I dont see it.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Most people mistake criticism of their favorite game as trolling instead of recognizing it as discussion and debate.

Or put another way, the only place trolls really exist is in fantasy mmorpgs, but for some reason people seem to think they see them on forums all the time.

Probably believe in ghosts too.

I have to use that line at some point.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Taking the piss out of credulous and simple-minded people is entertaining. And there's a whole lot of them. You can apply all the pop- and pseudo-psychology you want, but at the end of the day its just laughing at someone else's expense.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

This discussion has been closed.