Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Some info from PC Gamer

keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon

Remember folks, this is in EARLY beta and any concerns have plenty of time to improve. This article has some very good info (at least to me). Enjoy.

-http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/252-the-elder-scrolls-online-hands-on/

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

  • hMJemhMJem Marysville, WAPosts: 465Member
    Considering the game is set to release this year (And I don't forsee a delay) I doubt its that far away from leaving closed beta. Maybe a couple-few months, sure, but its been in beta since March or April.
  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by hMJem
    Considering the game is set to release this year (And I don't forsee a delay) I doubt its that far away from leaving closed beta. Maybe a couple-few months, sure, but its been in beta since March or April.

    They just started sending invites to closed beta just over a month ago didn't they? End of the year could be December, so they could stay in closed beta for 5 months and leave a month or two for stress and performance testing which is all that open beta is. I'm not sure where you are getting your info from where you say 'I don't forsee", but a beta tester on another site felt that it was more like 6 months away from release. Regardless, even if it was a few months, not a couple like you just 'foresaw', there is plenty of time for things to improve and the article agreed with that assessment.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 portland, ORPosts: 463Member
    After buying into the hype of GW2, I have promised myself not to get overly hyped about any game pre-release again. I'm gonna wait till after the game get's released then chat with people at my local gamestore, and see what they think.
  • MavekMavek Voorhees, NJPosts: 138Member
    Originally posted by kizan0601
    [mod edit]

    Its really sad to see with this game as I've been an avid TES fan since the 90's.  This is definitely a "wait and see" before buying game.  The whole other factions being invisible in the game world really upsets me

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Doesn't sound like swtor if you actually read the bloody article.
  • RemainsRemains MalmöPosts: 375Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Doesn't sound like swtor if you actually read the bloody article.

    ...He meant that it "sounds like failure," similar to (or worse than) SWTOR. His opinion on that of course.

     

    OP: Maybe I'm confused here or something, but this sounded very thin on the "great info" front. It sounds like he barely saw anything. Apparantly he didnt see the intro, he was just told about it?

     

    Then he played 6 levels, saw a ruin with traps and found a skyrim-treasure-map. Then he encountered some NPC that seemed to be story-related. And other peoples followers will be phased to look like "random mercenary" to hide the fact that everyone is the special snowflake.

     

    And it sounds like everything else in the article was demonstrated or told to him by the devs, and seemed to be mostly stuff that we  already knew about. So unfortunately I wasnt very impressed with it.

  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Remains
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Doesn't sound like swtor if you actually read the bloody article.

    ...He meant that it "sounds like failure," similar to (or worse than) SWTOR. His opinion on that of course.

     

    OP: Maybe I'm confused here or something, but this sounded very thin on the "great info" front. It sounds like he barely saw anything. Apparantly he didnt see the intro, he was just told about it?

     

    Then he played 6 levels, saw a ruin with traps and found a skyrim-treasure-map. Then he encountered some NPC that seemed to be story-related. And other peoples followers will be phased to look like "random mercenary" to hide the fact that everyone is the special snowflake.

     

    And it sounds like everything else in the article was demonstrated or told to him by the devs, and seemed to be mostly stuff that we  already knew about. So unfortunately I wasnt very impressed with it.

    First, give me a break. That post was a troll post through and through. He's actually posted the exact same thing in more than one thread.

    Second, you didn't find a two page detailed article useful, I did, to each his own. I especially liked a little more detail around his impression of the phasing which is the first time I saw that much detail. For example his reference to another identical character that looked different in phasing to the character he had to make it feel more immersive. That was an example of something I didn't know which I guess you already did. In TOR, you would see the same character running around for dozens of people, so thats no small thing to me.

    PS I decided to edit the title because it did sound a little too fanboish and I wouldn't want the WildStar fanbase to be upset.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    After buying into the hype of GW2, I have promised myself not to get overly hyped about any game pre-release again. I'm gonna wait till after the game get's released then chat with people at my local gamestore, and see what they think.

    There is nothing wrong with that, but you may get a better chance to see for yourself by trying Open Beta rather than relying on a gamestore rep lol.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon
    Game is still most likely going end up being some crappy generic tera ripoff, I doubt its base gameplay is going to change much, either way I lost most interest in it after seeing a leaked video that shows what the game is really like, instead of the doctored up to hell videos that are officially released. All I can honestly say is, if you expect much out of ESO you'll probably be disappointed. Which is sad because I had hopes for the game till I seen that video.

    Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

    A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

    or

    B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

    Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Doesn't sound like swtor if you actually read the bloody article.

    Its just the typical forum wars going on. He's a supporter of Wild Star and Neverwinter, the latter being one of the biggest fails I have tried recently. Hopefully this game wont follow in the foodsteps of TOR like he said because I'll be disappointed. Little by little the leaked feedback has been positive, but way too early to tell.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Game is still most likely going end up being some crappy generic tera ripoff, I doubt its base gameplay is going to change much, either way I lost most interest in it after seeing a leaked video that shows what the game is really like, instead of the doctored up to hell videos that are officially released. All I can honestly say is, if you expect much out of ESO you'll probably be disappointed. Which is sad because I had hopes for the game till I seen that video.

    I don't see anything similar to Tera. The only thing Tera had going for it was combat. The questing was generic boring PVE storyless crap. From the little I have seen, I doubt the PVE at least will be anything as boringly horrid as Tera.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • CothorCothor Houston, TXPosts: 163Member Uncommon
    Every single time someone says "its beta people!" or "its early beta" that means the game sucks and is going to continue to suck. I have never, not one time seen a game that used this excuse that turned out to be good. Once the foundation is set, the game either sucks or it doesn't.
  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Cothor
    Every single time someone says "its beta people!" or "its early beta" that means the game sucks and is going to continue to suck. I have never, not one time seen a game that used this excuse that turned out to be good. Once the foundation is set, the game either sucks or it doesn't.

    First, factually, it is early closed beta. Its not a debate, its a fact. Second, what you just wrote is illogical. The game may end up sucking, nobody knows, so if your opinion is based on the very scant information we have received and that is how you form an opinion about a game without even trying it, its pretty sad to me. Even though the goofy childishness of Wildstar doesn't appeal to me, I'm still going to try it to form a final opinion rather than forming illogical conclusions with so little play time or even game play videos of any recent build.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Game is still most likely going end up being some crappy generic tera ripoff,

    I can only assume you mean the combat. And how does a combat where aiming is "key" any different from skyrim or oblivion?

    edit: also, I don't see anything new about this PC Gamer info.

  • ragz45ragz45 rochester hills, MIPosts: 686Member Uncommon

    This info all comes from a Press Beta.  It is widely known that press betas are almost never representative of how the actual game plays.  They are scripted bits of the actual game that shows the game in it's best possible light, with PR suits sitting over your shoulder the entire time making sure your not doing something or seeing something you shouldn't be.

    Massively actually just released an article highlighting just what I'm talking about not long ago.  In it he talks about how press never get beta invites to AAA games.  And that the only time they ever get to see the game prior to release is when they are invited to one of these very controlled press beta events.

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/23/ask-massively-the-irony-of-media-and-betas/

     

    If you REALLY want to find out how the game is in it's current beta form.  Find a guild mate or friend in the beta, get them plastered at a bar, and then hound them for questions.

  • TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,153Member Uncommon

    I enjoyed the article, thank you.

    I got some good info from it I didn't know about.

    Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.
  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tokken

    I enjoyed the article, thank you.

    I got some good info from it I didn't know about.

    yay an appreciative forum member :-) lol. You're welcome.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ragz45

    This info all comes from a Press Beta.  It is widely known that press betas are almost never representative of how the actual game plays.  They are scripted bits of the actual game that shows the game in it's best possible light, with PR suits sitting over your shoulder the entire time making sure your not doing something or seeing something you shouldn't be.

    Massively actually just released an article highlighting just what I'm talking about not long ago.  In it he talks about how press never get beta invites to AAA games.  And that the only time they ever get to see the game prior to release is when they are invited to one of these very controlled press beta events.

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/23/ask-massively-the-irony-of-media-and-betas/

     

    If you REALLY want to find out how the game is in it's current beta form.  Find a guild mate or friend in the beta, get them plastered at a bar, and then hound them for questions.

    I agree with you, but can't anybody post anything in a forum for those that may not know everything already just to provide some more info? lol Such a tough crowd. I love MMORPG.com lol.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by keithian
     

    I agree with you, but can't anybody post anything in a forum for those that may not know everything already just to provide some more info? lol Such a tough crowd. I love MMORPG.com lol.

    I think it's not about you and more about PC gamer's article.

    I know that was my initial thought.

    What you did was find a very recent article but one that mentions a lot that has been said. So I wonder why PC gamer even bothered.

  • hMJemhMJem Marysville, WAPosts: 465Member
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by hMJem
    Considering the game is set to release this year (And I don't forsee a delay) I doubt its that far away from leaving closed beta. Maybe a couple-few months, sure, but its been in beta since March or April.

    They just started sending invites to closed beta just over a month ago didn't they? End of the year could be December, so they could stay in closed beta for 5 months and leave a month or two for stress and performance testing which is all that open beta is. I'm not sure where you are getting your info from where you say 'I don't forsee", but a beta tester on another site felt that it was more like 6 months away from release. Regardless, even if it was a few months, not a couple like you just 'foresaw', there is plenty of time for things to improve and the article agreed with that assessment.

    Until Zenimax comes out and says the game isnt coming out in 2013 like intended, the game is close to releasing. The year is almost halfway over. Yes, 6 months counts as close to me.

  • kizan0601kizan0601 Gadsden, ALPosts: 55Member
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Doesn't sound like swtor if you actually read the bloody article.

    Its just the typical forum wars going on. He's a supporter of Wild Star and Neverwinter, the latter being one of the biggest fails I have tried recently. Hopefully this game wont follow in the foodsteps of TOR like he said because I'll be disappointed. Little by little the leaked feedback has been positive, but way too early to tell.

    Say what? Check again my friend I have bad things to say about Neverwinter, I even charged back my founders pack as the game is so bad, ya it looked good to start but the more I played and learned what was going on the more....ya, Wildstar from what I have seen it looks good and I'm keeping an eye on it as it's the only mmo currently that has what I am looking for (other than playing Rift again June 12th). 

  • kizan0601kizan0601 Gadsden, ALPosts: 55Member
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Remains
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Doesn't sound like swtor if you actually read the bloody article.

    ...He meant that it "sounds like failure," similar to (or worse than) SWTOR. His opinion on that of course.

     

    OP: Maybe I'm confused here or something, but this sounded very thin on the "great info" front. It sounds like he barely saw anything. Apparantly he didnt see the intro, he was just told about it?

     

    Then he played 6 levels, saw a ruin with traps and found a skyrim-treasure-map. Then he encountered some NPC that seemed to be story-related. And other peoples followers will be phased to look like "random mercenary" to hide the fact that everyone is the special snowflake.

     

    And it sounds like everything else in the article was demonstrated or told to him by the devs, and seemed to be mostly stuff that we  already knew about. So unfortunately I wasnt very impressed with it.

    First, give me a break. That post was a troll post through and through. He's actually posted the exact same thing in more than one thread.

     

    Lol I have posted something like this once....not more than and it was a reply to someone else saying something about it failing like TOR, but added the reason why was because of the way they are going with PvP.

  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Game is still most likely going end up being some crappy generic tera ripoff,

    I can only assume you mean the combat. And how does a combat where aiming is "key" any different from skyrim or oblivion?

    edit: also, I don't see anything new about this PC Gamer info.

    I guess they wrote it for me and Tokken since not everything in it we knew and probably for several other people who are afraid to post here in fear of nerd rage attacks on them, thats why lol. I have tough skin, I enjoy the bickering lol.

    There Is Always Hope!

Sign In or Register to comment.