Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest mmo since WoW

ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

Mark my words. FFXIV ARR will be the greatest mmo since vanilla WoW. Consider my reasons for this claim. Unlike any other mmo, FFXIV will be released world wide Aug.27  on both PC and PS3. With over 70 million PS3 units sold imagine how many people walking into walmart or gamestop looking for a roleplaying game will be attracted to this title. FFXI at its peak had 500k members and it was predominantly on PS2. Even if only 1% of all PS3 owners buy FFXIV thats over 700k subscribers on console alone. Know that FFXIV will also be released on PS4. We all know how cautious we can be when buying first gen games for new consoles. Imagine how comforting the Final Fantasy name will be to people looking for games in that genre. Then there all the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 people who will want to give ARR a try. Plus how many WoW and GW2 players arent really that happy with the current state of their gaming. 

For new players playing their very first mmo ARR has a VERY friendly learning curve. Veteran players have even complained that it was too easy. However it has been confirmed that as you progress towards endgame the games challenges become more daunting. To the point of having to quit ones job in order to devote all of ones time to the game just to "first achieve" the games endgame rewards. There is also the ability to progress smoothly in game through both solo and group play.

It is commonly known that 1.0 had one of the deepest crafting systems in all mmos. This will be retained in 2.0, plus a crafting driven economy. Add a combination of 16 classes and jobs to choose from at release. Along with 18+ dungeons that range from easy to extremely hard. Player housing. Deep storylines.A beautiful soundtrack and the best graphics of any mmo to date. Plus  one can really become attached to whatever character you create because one toon can be any and every job. So goodbye Alts.

Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

All of these things and many more have me convinced that this will be the greatest mmo in years and possibly for years to come.

Edit: So I wrote this back in May and here it is now September almost 2 weeks after launch. As you can see I got flamed by most who thought I was nothing short of an idiot for posting my prediction.

Funny how SE just posted info of breaking their record with 325k players online at once. Many of you said this game would not get 100k subscribers. The company actually had to stop all digital and retail sales because they didn't predict so many people would be playing and their servers couldn't handle the influx.

This hasn't happened since....... Wait for it.... World of Warcraft.

Even with all the technical problems with servers the past week, players keep coming back trying to get into the game.

So I just have one question. Where are all the naysayers? Did you crawl back into your bitter, jaded and ignorant holes?

Well, I'll be back in another couple of months after the first major update. I'm predicting the game will continue to grow even far beyond what it has accomplished up till now.

Comments

• ResertonReserton Member Posts: 52

What a ridiculous post. ARR will not even get 10% of what WoW has in terms of numbers.

And if referring to the quality of game there has already been a ton of better games then WoW and you would be implying WoW was ever a good game.

The crafting system is not in anyway "deep" it is just long and at times a monotonous process, this will anything but attract people, especially not "WoW" people who will get bored of crafting in a second.

ARR is very likely to be another floptastic mess. Very few people will be willing to put money on the line for what was a disaster.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

@Reserton

10% of what WoW HAS in numbers?! WoW had 12 mil at their peak. They have lost millions of those. Just between Jan to march of '13 they have lost 1.3 millions subscribers.Putting them just over 8 mil. 10% would be 800k. [mod edit]

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    They rename Final fantasy to Wildstar? I missed something.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    This happens with every new game.  Give it  a few moths post launch for this nonsense tot stop.  I do give this company credit for listening to players and scrapping the original and trying again, however.  I just don't have any interest in this game anymore.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

@Reserton

10% of what WoW HAS in numbers?! WoW had 11 mil at their peak. The have lost millions of those. I have heard numbers up to 8+ million subscribers lost. So at best WoW has maybe 7 million subs now. 10% would be 700k. [mod edit]

You guys learn nothing do you? stop comparing every MMO to WOW because it never ends well.

It would be funny to revisit this topic 'if' FFXIV RR ends up being another F2P title after people leave in droves.

@Reserton

10% of what WoW HAS in numbers?! WoW had 11 mil at their peak. The have lost millions of those. I have heard numbers up to 8+ million subscribers lost. So at best WoW has maybe 7 million subs now. 10% would be 700k. [mod edit]

Think you will find even FFXI struggled to get 700k and that was a very successful MMO. Go rethink your ridiculous statement.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

@Reserton

Pretty sure you heard down TO 8 million subscribers. The simple fact that WoW has maintained that many subscribers for this length of time is astounding. 

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

FFXIV version 1.0 sold only 650,000 copies world wide.

That game was terrible and scared away at least 40% of those players to where they won't even try this new version. The ones that have come back get this version for FREE, so that will not count as a sale. For example, I bought the collector's edition for myself and my girl, we both get a free CE this time around.

The main people that will play this game are Final Fantasy fanatics, there are still a lot, but many have been lost due to disappointing games by Square-Enix in the past 10+ years.

This version of FXIV is leaps and bounds better than 1.0 was, but they still need to win back fans they lost with the first one, so I think this game will probably sell 500k at launch.

This game is $12-15 a month. There are only a handful of games charging that much, Every game has gone free pretty much(90+% of them). So, after the free month, this game will lose a big amount of players. Even free games lose a big amount, so imagine after people see they need to pay monthly here. Sure, many like it that way as it keeps freeloaders out, but it still will lower the playerbase.

Also, there is nothing new in this game. It is just using quest system the developer said he took from WOW and taking public quests and spawns from games like warhammer/rift. Combat is more fun than 1.0 but is still the standard turn based tab target combat of any old MMORPG.

The OP has no clue what he is talking about IMO. FFXIV ARR is a solid game, much improved over v1.0, but the playerbase will be small.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

He must be really high on Sunday morning if he thinks FFXIV will have 1 mill players.

Given the (peak) size of FFXI, a title with a much better reputation....seems a little silly, doesn't it?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

/facepalm

There have been plenty of games that have actually done great. Rift is I feel an amazing game if your leaning on the style of game that EVERQUEST really pushed and started a trend on, and I feel is superior to WoW in many ways. New MMos will typically have a leg up on older games that just simply fall behind as their technology is left more limited and in many cases they tend to have their own restrictions in place just due to how its designed. The issue is WOW came out at the right time. If it didn't release when it did and have the nostologic pull it has on players, I'd be so bold as claim it  likely would be sitting where Rift is right now, if not potentially worst off. 

FFXIV really hasn't shown any sign of being 'great'. Not saying it couldn't be good MMo, but theres many factors playing against it. The fact its being relaunched will likely stray some away despite the changes. Many of the changes might just not appeal to players as well as it is following along the lines of a traditional MMo far more. As an old FF11 player, its still a game I've very leery on. It just doesn't have that 'feel' that 11 has that really drew me to it. Many of the features its touting just doesn't really draw that much  enthusiasm to it as it seems to try and fit in the mold by just adding in features other games typically have now. FF11's big draw was its class system and FFXIV in its current state as far as we are away just doesn't have a strong class system at all, its in fact quite weak. 

Its all down to what they do between now and its relaunch if it can pick up the pace to really have enough of a posative vibe in enough places to warrant a buy.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

Some people is too optimistic..

I am a FFXIV Legacy Player, i bought Collector Edition, and i am just waiting only to play this game.. but i will be happy with 1M subscriptions. I just want this game to be a success, but noone MMORPG will ever ake WoW Throne. Wish this game to have a decent acceptation with a P2P model and dont care about who is the king of MMO.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

FFXIV Bombed on release now they redo it and you feel they are going to get all the people back to play? I don't think I have ever seen a game Bomb and make a comeback let alone comparing it to WOW's Subs.

I wish it all the success in the world, but I won't hold my breath.

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

So much negativity in this thread. 

While I agree that the OP is stretching a bit to say it'll topple WoW (nothing will), I think it would be more in the middle. 

All over the internet I am seeing people getting excited for the game, which is good. A few months ago, if you mentioned FFXIV people would just laugh, or cry or both (still do at the mention of version 1). 

The game is being designed for people new to MMOs in general, and will be also on the PS3 (which the first one wasn't). People who played version 1.0 get it for free, plus a free month. There will apparently be a free trial version. Anyone with a Square-Enix service account get access to the next upcoming beta phase, and phase 4 is open beta. 

I think it will draw in more players than you people are expecting (but not anything in the millions). I just want the game to be successful so I can play it without it shutting down or going free-to-play (which I highly doubt it will), and I think it will be successful. Successful in the sense that it brings in the money it needs to, and not worrying about toppling anyone (which I don't think it is even trying to do)

Originally posted by redcloud16

So much negativity in this thread. 

While I agree that the OP is stretching a bit to say it'll topple WoW (nothing will), I think it would be more in the middle. 

All over the internet I am seeing people getting excited for the game, which is good. A few months ago, if you mentioned FFXIV people would just laugh, or cry or both (still do at the mention of version 1). 

The game is being designed for people new to MMOs in general, and will be also on the PS3 (which the first one wasn't). People who played version 1.0 get it for free, plus a free month. There will apparently be a free trial version. Anyone with a Square-Enix service account get access to the next upcoming beta phase, and phase 4 is open beta. 

I think it will draw in more players than you people are expecting (but not anything in the millions). I just want the game to be successful so I can play it without it shutting down or going free-to-play (which I highly doubt it will), and I think it will be successful. Successful in the sense that it brings in the money it needs to, and not worrying about toppling anyone (which I don't think it is even trying to do)

How about you read the thread before spouting drivel?

People have suggested around 400-600k players, How much more then that do you actually think ARR will get, christ anything under 1 mill is negligible.

Stop telling people what they are expecting, People are answering a looser who expects this game to get moe then 10% of WoWs subs if not more then 100% of WoWs subs.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    as i said, some people need to open their eyes.. ARR will be a good game, all these talking about wow-killer etc are just trolling. Every time you talk about a game killing wow, that game will be trolled until fail.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

What a weird post. Basically the reasoning behind why Final Fantasy is supposedly going to be a huge success is because it will be spread to consoles, too? MMORPGS games' failures aren't caused by the lack of popularity or accessibility, that's a syndrome caused by failure to keep players interested and happy. What I've seen so far is a very generic MMORPG that doesn't differ at all from MMORPGS that have all ready been released and still going forward. It's just a bit more flashy with great graphics which in my opinion does -NOT- make a game. I'm expecting a average asian grind fest. 

---------------------------

Just my two cents - - I hope I'm wrong.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by khameleon

FFXIV version 1.0 sold only 650,000 copies world wide.

That game was terrible and scared away at least 40% of those players to where they won't even try this new version. The ones that have come back get this version for FREE, so that will not count as a sale. For example, I bought the collector's edition for myself and my girl, we both get a free CE this time around.  Blatant opinion statements, no facts at all.  There actually WAS a pay version in 1.0 after a few months they started subscription back up,  you literally have no idea what you are talking about and the first sentence shows it.

The main people that will play this game are Final Fantasy fanatics, there are still a lot, but many have been lost due to disappointing games by Square-Enix in the past 10+ years. Maybe, nice crystal ball you got there.

This version of FXIV is leaps and bounds better than 1.0 was, but they still need to win back fans they lost with the first one, so I think this game will probably sell 500k at launch. Only true statement in this entire post.

This game is $12-15 a month. There are only a handful of games charging that much, Every game has gone free pretty much(90+% of them). So, after the free month, this game will lose a big amount of players. Even free games lose a big amount, so imagine after people see they need to pay monthly here. Sure, many like it that way as it keeps freeloaders out, but it still will lower the playerbase.   A lot of us on this site WANT a subscription game, you are clearly not posting on the right site if this is your point.

Also, there is nothing new in this game. It is just using quest system the developer said he took from WOW and taking public quests and spawns from games like warhammer/rift. Combat is more fun than 1.0 but is still the standard turn based tab target combat of any old MMORPG.  More opinion backed up by no facts, also game is under NDA, so you can't really defend this point.

The OP has no clue what he is talking about IMO. FFXIV ARR is a solid game, much improved over v1.0, but the playerbase will be small.

it is painfully obvious to anyone who bothered to read your post you have no idea what you are talking about and most of what you are saying is based entirely off your 'gut' feeling.  That does not make it a fact, sorry.  Also, OP didn't say the player base would be massive, he said it would be a quality game, skim reading is bad. 

• Goldenboy93Goldenboy93 Member Posts: 2
    That game was terrible and scared away at least 40% of those players to where they won't even try this new version. The ones that have come back get this version for FREE, so that will not count as a sale. For example, I bought the collector's edition for myself and my girl, we both get a free CE this time around.

I picked up the CE for me and my wife years ago as well...is there some promotion going on where we get to trade in those codes for free versions of the upcoming CE for A Realm Reborn?

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Damn I am pissed.  Blew coffee all over my monitor when I read the title of this thread.
    Originally posted by Goldenboy93

I picked up the CE for me and my wife years ago as well...is there some promotion going on where we get to trade in those codes for free versions of the upcoming CE for A Realm Reborn?

Not a promotion. If you bought 1.0 CE you get ARR CE free of charge, automatic upgrade, can login for a free month also on launch. You will get all the new digital items that you get with ARR CE.

• Goldenboy93Goldenboy93 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Reserton

Not a promotion. If you bought 1.0 CE you get ARR CE free of charge, automatic upgrade, can login for a free month also on launch. You will get all the new digital items that you get with ARR CE.

Fantastic, thanks for the heads up! Will there be an e-mail about this when it launches? Or do we just wait until it launches and then go download it from the site? Sorry for the questions, I just went to the ARR site and there's no info, or places to sign up. Do we just re-install FF14 and sign in through that and it'll upgrade?

Cheers! :)

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    ARR I think will have a great showing . I think it will take a chunk of WOWs players . Wildstar to me looks like a game for 12 year olds it just looks childish to me. tESO and Neverwinter are going to fail because every F2P game fails . it morphs from F2P to B2W . Sure you can have everything in the free game but you want more inv slots sorry that's going to cost you 9.99 . FFXIV:ARR will do it right it has everything and I do mean everything it takes everything for the most popular MMOs and adds them to FF in a total world that is Final Fantasy and it still seems like it is Final Fantasy . The only thing the game dosent have is action combat but that's what makes it final fantasy . I am going to buy this game and I am going to love this game . And so are a lot of other people. Some will not like it because of really dumb reasons or valid ones. Some will just hate it because they think they know better when them people probably never even watched any of the videos or read any info on the game. There going to hate it because that what they do hate.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Reserton

1.0 CE non-legacy players will not be getting early access or the cait sith/mog hat but everything else is true, at least for the time being (and it seems as though it will stay this way). You would have to pre-order a new copy if you want either of these benefits.

• JCBNJCBN Member UncommonPosts: 47

This is not a new game...

I allready wasted cash on this once... i wont make the same mistake twice.

If this game gets 75 billion subsribers... i will not be one of them, and i could not care less.

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by JCBN

This is not a new game...

I allready wasted cash on this once... i wont make the same mistake twice.

If this game gets 75 billion subsribers... i will not be one of them, and i could not care less.

You would have to be, we don't have even close to 75 billion on this planet so we'll need every last person we can get to amount to anything even remotely close to your ridiculous number for this ridiculous post.