Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is not a MMORPG, its a CORPG like DDO, GW1, Diablo 3 so far

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Honestly this game doesnt seem like a MMORPG . It's a CORPG like the original design plans before Pw joined in.

but maybe this change at higher levels. But the game gives off the impression of being a CORPG. Not sure how this is more MMO than GW1 was which isn't a MMO. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Your tittle should be : This games doesn't feel like a MMORPG to me.

And....I fully agree with you.

Still am enjoying the game allot. And to be honost I have this feeling of today's MMORPG not really feeling like MMORPG for several years already.  Of course just my opinion.

There seem to be new MMORPG releases incomming to become more then what we have today and expand of what we use to have in the old. Let's not give hope up and simply enjoy games for what they give and not for what they try to be.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Its a 50/50 mix of persistent gameworld and personal/coop instancing.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    . . . . DDO was a MMORPG i have as yet to play NWO buts, im pretty sure it is to.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

You obviously haven't got past the tutorial quests yet....

There are public adventure zones. Not just at higher levels... at about level 6. Pretty blatant difference from GW1.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    The ability to make your own quests and share them with the community makes it more of an mmorpg than most games that claim the title.   That makes it a real D&D game.   It has some issues to work out but it's 2 weeks in to the open beta.  It's way to early to judge.
  • shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Honestly this game doesnt seem like a MMORPG . It's a CORPG like the original design plans before Pw joined in.

but maybe this change at higher levels. But the game gives off the impression of being a CORPG. Not sure how this is more MMO than GW1 was which isn't a MMO. 

You obviously haven't played the game.  The only time you aren't with other players is in your quest dungeons and the newbie tutorial.  The rest of the time you are with other players....

[mod edit]

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    You could even call it a MORPG. Just take off the massive. ; )
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    At what point outside the city can you be in a zone with hundreds of other players actually around you and playing ?

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by shadylurker

You obviously haven't played the game.  The only time you aren't with other players is in your quest dungeons and the newbie tutorial.  The rest of the time you are with other players....

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN MAKE THIS STUPID FUCKING POST.

Harsh aren't we?  He is expressing his opinion.  I guess you are expressing yours. image

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

How many players you come across in GW1, D3 and DDO while you are out adventuring?

You know the answer and you know that NW is nothing like GW1 and D3 . I have teamed up with so many random players out in the zones and got so many ninja heals and invites to fight tougher monsters...you telling me that is possible in GW1 and D3?

I suggest atleast play the game first. I don't mind valid criticism but i do mind blatant spread of mis information.

• shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by hammarus
    Originally posted by shadylurker

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN MAKE THIS STUPID FUCKING POST.

Harsh aren't we?  He is expressing his opinion.  I guess you are expressing yours. image

Because his post isn't an opinion, it's wrong, it's NOTHING.  He's just spreading idiotic messages that have 0 revelance to game

Originally posted by hammarus

Yes he is harsh and i don't support that but OP is spreading mis information about the game by comparing it to D3 and GW1.

People get away with a lot in name of an opinion.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Dahkoht
    At what point outside the city can you be in a zone with hundreds of other players actually around you and playing ?

If you use this mentality, we can disqualify a vast majority of the MMos listed that use a channel system (used primarily to limit lag and allow for larger servers, action games in particular use this due to the need for good performance to play). The channel system is no where near new. Try playing say Rift with a massive event going on, your going to WISH it had channels for how laggy it will be for most PCs trying to run hundreds of people fighting one boss with chaos errupting all over the place.

And what difference those 100 of players make to your game experience? when you are not even going to interact say 10 out of 100? why 50 or 60 are not good enough?

I never understood this idea of surrounding yourself with thousands of players just for the sake of it when they make no difference to my game play.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

And what difference those 100 of players make to your game experience? when you are not even going to interact say 10 out of 100? why 50 or 60 are not good enough?

I never understood this idea of surrounding yourself with thousands of players just for the sake of it when they make no difference to my game play.

It's the difference between multiplayer and massively multiplayer.

And a well designed MMO will always allow those extra players to make a difference on your play experience. This was originally not designed as an MMO, and it shows. It isn't truly an MMO. The OP is spot on.

And having player made dungeons does not make it more of an MMO, it makes it more of a CRPG, the original Neverwinter Nights game also had that feature and they weren't considered MMOs even though you could have 50 people or more on a server.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by wordiz
    You could even call it a MORPG. Just take off the massive. ; )

OMG (Online Multiplayer Game) is the more apt term and was the term Jack used when they said they were not following the MMO route anymore due to only producing mediocre MMOs and focus on creating OMGs with some great quality features to make it a good game.

But of course Neverwinter proved how utterly full of bull shit Jack was in that interview when he talked bout that.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

Does this argument really need to happen? Who cares? 

It's a game you can play online with features that resemble other games in the MMORPG genre. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

It's the difference between multiplayer and massively multiplayer.

And a well designed MMO will always allow those extra players to make a difference on your play experience. This was originally not designed as an MMO, and it shows. It isn't truly an MMO. The OP is spot on.

And having player made dungeons does not make it more of an MMO, it makes it more of a CRPG, the original Neverwinter Nights game also had that feature and they weren't considered MMOs even though you could have 50 people or more on a server.

No OP is not spot on. Anyone who compares NW to GW1 and D3 is not even anywhere close to being 'spot on'.

A well designed MMO you mean something like Everquest? is that a good example for you because even when i was playing that MMO i could care less if i was surrounded by hundreds of players. Never cared much about it when all i ever needed was 5 or 6 players.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Its as much a MMO as any other themepark lobby game, including WoW, LOTRO, EQ2 etc etc.

The game focuses heavily on instanced dungeons and PvP. Yep. This doesnt make it CORPG. It has open world areas like the rest of those games listed. If you are going to go down this route of MMO nomenclature, the only qualifiers would be Vanguard, UO, Darkfall and a handful of other MMOs with no instancing or convenience features (dungeon finders, battlegrounds).

So yes, if you want to call themepark lobby games CORPGs, then thats what 95% of the market is, along with Neverwinter. But realistically, its just a MMO, like the rest of them.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Pretty much every adventure zone. Can't run more than 5m without bumping into someone. If anything, the instances are overpopulated and kind of ruin the impact of your adventures.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by evilastro

Its as much a MMO as any other themepark lobby game, including WoW, LOTRO, EQ2 etc etc.

The game focuses heavily on instanced dungeons and PvP. Yep. This doesnt make it CORPG. It has open world areas like the rest of those games listed. If you are going to go down this route of MMO nomenclature, the only qualifiers would be Vanguard, UO, Darkfall and a handful of other MMOs with no instancing or convenience features (dungeon finders, battlegrounds).

So yes, if you want to call themepark lobby games CORPGs, then thats what 95% of the market is, along with Neverwinter. But realistically, its just a MMO, like the rest of them.

No you are confused. It's easy to tell the difference between a MMORPG and a MORPG aka CORPG. WoW has instances but it also have a world which is free of player instances. The massive multiplayer takes place in the world. 

This game doesn't have this. I didn't have a problem with the original marketing they game had before PWI jumped in because it was truthful to not being a MMO. I don't like being mislead by developers calling any online RPG with multiplayer a MMO when it honestly isn't. Although Anet were shady with it, they still didnt call GW1 a MMO. I can somewhat respect that..,

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    really fun game with a horrible and greedy company running it, just dont spend money on this if you havent yet.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by evilastro

No you are confused. It's easy to tell the difference between a MMORPG and a MORPG aka CORPG. WoW has instances but it also have a world which is free of player instances. The massive multiplayer takes place in the world. 

This game doesn't have this. I didn't have a problem with the original marketing they game had before PWI jumped in because it was truthful to not being a MMO. I don't like being mislead by developers calling any online RPG with multiplayer a MMO when it honestly isn't. Although Anet were shady with it, they still didnt call GW1 a MMO. I can somewhat respect that..,

WoW, a post after the initial OP. I have new found respect for you. image

As for the point, it is what it is and also free so people can always make up their own mind as to what they think it is and play it or not.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    What amazes me more is how caught up on labels we can become. MMORPGs have become so varied and "mainstream" that does the title really mean anything anymore. Besides, at the end of the day, isn't the real question is are you having fun playing?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by kakasaki
    What amazes me more is how caught up on labels we can become. MMORPGs have become so varied and "mainstream" that does the title really mean anything anymore. Besides, at the end of the day, isn't the real question is are you having fun playing?

Using labels to deliberately mislead people who would spend money on something is considered dishonest. This gets people upset. It could indeed have an impact on how much fun a person has playing a game.

It is of interest that Cryptic originally wrote Neverwinter as some form of CORPG with an expected release date of late 2011. They announced on Oct. 5, 2011 that they would switch from CORPG to a F2P MMORPG. It's not really surprising that the game has a lot of CORPG elements or a CORPG feel.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.