Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rip-off graphics from 2003

1235»

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I don't like the graphics either, but I can deal with it if the game is really fun which this game seems to be.  I just know I'll never really be able to feel a sense of much immersion in the world.  For me I can't experience that without realistic graphics, but maybe others can.  It would have been amazing if they had all of these features AND had quality lifelike graphics - but oh well can't change what is.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

while i do agree that cartoony grapics are not my fav, i disagree that these grapics are dated to 2003, they are sharp and crisp and very well done i do beleave you are confuseing grapics with astetics a common mistake

and also to be fair the art style is very similair to WoWs, although i will admit now that they are not identical after haveing kept track of it for awhile, the newer videos show that while the style is simlair it is not identical.

but that aside my main point is the grapics are by no means equal to 2003 they are on pare with current ones, the problem here is like i said getting grapics and astetics mixed up

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon
    Blah..blah..blah...

No thanks Wildstar.

Whew, You had me worried there. For a moment I thought you were insinuating that Graphics > Gameplay/Content/Fun...

Glad I prefer Gameplay/Content/Fun > Graphics. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• yammy_thoyammy_tho Member UncommonPosts: 14

I love the look it has! The graphics are smooth and stylized, which completely compliments the sci fi-ish setting it's in. I actually prefer the cartoon style over super ultra realistic, but that's just my opinion. Can't please everyone all the time. 

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by lekitten

I love the look it has! The graphics are smooth and stylized, which completely compliments the sci fi-ish setting it's in. I actually prefer the cartoon style over super ultra realistic, but that's just my opinion. Can't please everyone all the time. 

see i like a balence, i dont like absolute realsiam but i prefer the coloring to lean more to real colors then cartoony.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

Graphics isnt everything... look at what happened to FFXIV on release; greatt graphics but game sanked quickly, now its "remaking" its original game with a little degraded different graphics engine but with better, smoothier gameplay.

The new engine looks better than the first so Idk what degrading you are talking about. Please explain.
  • ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483
    i had been skeptical about wow style graphics but the graphics of wildstar seem to go well with its setting, races etc. It feels like a good old sly racoon game. While i prefer more realistic textures, this might be a nice change of sight.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Am I the only one who realizes that WoW has one of the worst graphics engine and art design of any half popular mmo out? We give WoW a break because, hell their engine is going on 10 years old, but then I look at a game like FFXI that is even older and was created for PS2! Look at water in one and then the water in the other and you tell me what you see. And then there's Wildstar..... Same crappy graphics and art design. Makes sense they both originated from the great house of Blizzard. If I wanted to play a saturday morning cartoon I would play Ragnarok 2, who's art design is truly art. I think games like Wildstar give us such crappy art because they know it doesnt  tax their engine like the graphics of Archage or FFXIV. And my lord have you seen Black Desert?! Square Enix knew that their 5 star graphics of FFXIV were too hard on their engine, especially with hundreds of potential player in one area. So they toned them down, got a new engine and guess what? They still are one of the very best looking games out there. I have actual game play footage as my screen saver cause they look so damn clean. And their art design is second to none.

If you dont spend major time and money on your art and graphics then it leaves more time and resources for other things. But It doesnt matter if you are soloing, team play, questing, pvping, raiding, crafting or farming. Youre always looking at the graphics and art design. It seems only asian developers realize this.

If I'm going to spend the next 5 years looking at a game shouldnt I enjoy what I'm looking at every moment and have wonder? I mean after every expansion of WoW and monthly fees Ive given them north of 600 bucks. For crappy graphics.

No thanks Wildstar.

That is totally subjective. What you do not like others might think looks great. Besides, there are PLENTY of games out there with "better" graphics that WoW. You have many options.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Am I the only one who realizes that WoW has one of the worst graphics engine and art design of any half popular mmo out? We give WoW a break because, hell their engine is going on 10 years old, but then I look at a game like

Ever considered possibility YOU are the problem and not others? I was sure you did not. And this is main problem.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

wow and wildstar look nothing alike. I think wildstar has a wacky and fun theme going for it and the graphics fit quite nicely in the product they are trying to deliver.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by silverreign

wow and wildstar look nothing alike. I think wildstar has a wacky and fun theme going for it and the graphics fit quite nicely in the product they are trying to deliver.

Anything short of the latest in shaders and realism is viewed as either sub par, kiddie or wow style graphics by most MMO gamers.

And people wonder why that's what MMOs pitch more than the gameplay.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PygozPygoz Member UncommonPosts: 20
    If you don't like the aesthetics of WildStar then don't play it, it's that easy. Don't make some whining thread that it's rip-off graphics because that's not what it is. You do know it has a lot of the same developers as Vanilla WoW had right?
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Nothing alike? now if you compared say AOC with Wildstar i would agree with you but as far as WOW is concerned both games have a very uncanny resemblance.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Anything short of the latest in shaders and realism is viewed as either sub par, kiddie or wow style graphics by most MMO gamers.

Haha..do you know the guy you are quoting believes that WOW is for kiddies? ironic isn't it?

Originally posted by silverreign

its not the lore most people are having issues with. its the fact that wow has been going down hill for years and its catering to the kiddies. now pandas? nuff said

• SeffaerSeffaer Member UncommonPosts: 5
    He complains about WoW & the graphics, yet acts like a childish twat that would exist on WoW, hypothetically speaking. (I love WoW. )
  • deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

You are confusing graphics and art style... The graphics are awesome, the art style is very very stylized going in the opposite direction of realism. I personally like it a lot, it makes for more vibrant zones and characters. MMOs that go for realism with their graphics end up looking like absolute shit 1-2 years after they're out. Stylized graphics can look very good several years later with only minor updates ( like WoW ).

Now if you don't like the ART STYLE, that's not Carbine's ( or our ) problem, it's yours. Don't go and tell everyone the graphics are bad when they are great, but you just don't like the game to look like a Pixar movie ( I like it a lot )

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I like the Settlers 7 a lot which has a very well done blend of stylized graphics/Style. Psychonauts is another good example. I could add The book of unwritten tales here as well, as all three of those titles have a charm that drew me in. Wildstar has not achieved that with their look and feel thus far.

I don't get that same whimsical draw from it as I did those games. I don't feel the expressionism is there in it's cartooning oriented approach, it feels rather flat in the expressionist department. Maybe I'm getting a bit too technical in terms of artistic expressionism, but i expect more from working professionals. Expressionism is what creates character in cartooning I don't see it and I feel i should.

Game-play is most important, but we're also talking RPG's here. Which character and world connections are also important. The lack of character in it's art kills that for me. Much like TOR..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Don't mistake most with most vocal. There is tens of millions people playing MMOs, only a handful visits MMO forums, and only small part of those complain about every-single-damn-thing, they usually are the ones to start all the naegative topics no matter the game just to find something to discredit any given game. 

Also "Am I the only one..." is the silliest question anyone ever can ask. There is over 7 billion people living on Earth. Chances you'd be "the only one" are pretty minimal. 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820

Ragnorok 2's art style and character creator look like shit. 

WildStar's graphics are clean and pleasing, despite their cartoon style. 

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

So you don't like the art style?  Did you seriously say Ragnarok 2 has better graphics?  Ragnarok 2 graphics are more like a generic Korean grinder from 2003 than anything else.

Wildstar minimum requirements:

• CPU: Intel Pentium Core2 Duo 2.4 GHz, AMD Phenom X3 2.3 GHz, or better
    • RAM: 4GB
    • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, ATI Radeon HD 3850, or better
    Just look at those and think about what you just said.

• Daventry85Daventry85 Member Posts: 7

The graphics are stellar , have you played the game yet? no didn't think so, people who base graphics off of a youtube 1080p video are laughable....

It does have a similar WoW art style which is fine actually, graphics do not make the game as WoW has proven that pretty quickly... Look at Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 , the best looking MMO I ever played, for about 2 days before I sat it back down....

Wildstar will be like WoW 2.0 , The graphics will be better and polished there are better technologys for all that good stuff now a days where as WoW is so big at this point it would take them forever to polish / re-edit all their textures etc kinda like Everquest did a long time ago bumped the graphics up across the board.

Another positive , it will Run on most systems on HIGH to look how it was intended , I have a 1000 dollar gaming laptop that doesn't have trouble often but this I love so I don't have to dampen my graphics / shaders just to play.

• RokzRokz Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Am I the only one who realizes that WoW has one of the worst graphics engine and art design of any half popular mmo out? We give WoW a break because, hell their engine is going on 10 years old, but then I look at a game like FFXI that is even older and was created for PS2! Look at water in one and then the water in the other and you tell me what you see. And then there's Wildstar..... Same crappy graphics and art design. Makes sense they both originated from the great house of Blizzard. If I wanted to play a saturday morning cartoon I would play Ragnarok 2, who's art design is truly art. I think games like Wildstar give us such crappy art because they know it doesnt  tax their engine like the graphics of Archage or FFXIV. And my lord have you seen Black Desert?! Square Enix knew that their 5 star graphics of FFXIV were too hard on their engine, especially with hundreds of potential player in one area. So they toned them down, got a new engine and guess what? They still are one of the very best looking games out there. I have actual game play footage as my screen saver cause they look so damn clean. And their art design is second to none.

If you dont spend major time and money on your art and graphics then it leaves more time and resources for other things. But It doesnt matter if you are soloing, team play, questing, pvping, raiding, crafting or farming. Youre always looking at the graphics and art design. It seems only asian developers realize this.

If I'm going to spend the next 5 years looking at a game shouldnt I enjoy what I'm looking at every moment and have wonder? I mean after every expansion of WoW and monthly fees Ive given them north of 600 bucks. For crappy graphics.

No thanks Wildstar.

When you can understand and translate business decisions, then make worthwhile comments. This is why your a customer...And always will be...