Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Neverwinter: On the Duplication Debacle

2»

Comments

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

With Apologies to Gordon Gekko:

All I hear from PerfectWorld is:

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money... and greed, you mark my words, will not only save Neverwinter , but also the entire MMO industry.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

....For example, when you work hard to get to level 60 with enough glory to buy a set of full PvP armor....

This part kinda made me chuckle...

Work hard to reach 60.... er kay!

Idk but it took me at most 3ish days on a rog, 6 on a cleric to hit 60, and no more than a solid 2 1/2 hours on the rog to gear up both toons with glory gear.

yes your right about the enhancement thing and the idea(the brilliant idea, lol thanks perfect world, u stupid and greedy sods) that players would get to max level so quickly, then take thousands of times longer to grind out 'top gear' just to grind out 'higher' gear - or pay thousands of real life money...

You are right. Everything else u said. But that beginning part... lol.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Enjoying the game. Sad servers are down right now. Not sure what everyone is so mad about, but I've run into very few issues. Maybe i'm just lucky. Just play and have fun doing it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Situations like this are always no win.  If you fix the problem with a major roll back, you hurt the majority of players who stayed within the rules.  If you just wave at it, like Cryptic did, you only get the major abusers and still leave the game economy borked for some time to come.  There just is not an easy solution here since they have said there is not a character wipe at the end of Beta.

The game is still in beta, but of course, it really isn't because they won't have a character wipe.  Games that don't have a character wipe after their so called beta are really just releasing the game with bugs yet to be found.  The you have games like Diablo III have been out for a while, yet it was compromised in a similar manner.  All games have bugs, just that some are far more damaging than others.

Seems sad for those of you who like Neverwinter, but then maybe it is a good thing, you will get out before you get to end game and find out how expensive a pay-to-win game can really be.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

This is the sort of thing that should make players pause and ask what they are really playing for: the experience of playing or a sense of ownership over database entries that they don't actually own at all?  If you are upset about a rollback, what emotions are you setting yourself up for if/when the game eventually shuts down at some point in the (hopefully distant) future?

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Rob, thank you for at least pointing out some of the important facts of this massive mess called Neverwinter. After reading some of the other postings from this site on the issue I was starting to feel sick. There are many issues from the development side  in this game since closed beta. Many bug reports were ignored and some still have not been fixed and we are talking exploitable bugs. The one mentioned in this article has been present in STO also.... so did they just copy and paste code that was bugged? There are deeper concerns that arise from the issue that got all the attention and I believe I am not alone in asking for someone in the MMO news field to step up and ask the important questions! There are many that would love to see the heat turned up and have Cryptic and PWE answer the more important questions.

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I have a level 44 rogue and have played since launch.  Im having fun still.  I haven't spent a cent and have never had the need to use the Auction House. The inflation doesn't affect me and the roll back was fine by me to remove a few billion ad from the economy.  Im amazed that people have 'spent quite a bit of money' on this game.  Sorry but more fool you guys.  Why would you be so stupid as to put good money into something not fully tested, and then blame someone because you feel ripped off. 
  • daHoopstadaHoopsta Member Posts: 3
    With 3 toons to 60 and time spent in Epic dungeons & PVP I ended up uninstalling NW during the week. If you aren't willing to pay $$ - all the game amounts to is being a grind for AD to do just about anything you can think of. Want to craft that rare leather armor, open a lockbox, respec to a very limited selection of feats/powers, or attach an armor enchant to your epic armor. Not worth the effort IMO and a serious let down for all D&D fans. Foundry is a great idea, but it's not enough to overcome PWE & Cryptics bad implementation of the title
  • Ladrann27Ladrann27 Member Posts: 43

How could this game possibly, after the bad press and the bad things I am reading about it ever stand the test of time and be able to compete in a market where a lot of AAA mmo's are being released that all look very promising?

I don't think it can, because people who might be on the fence and reading story's like this will almost certainly walk away from this game and wait for the next game.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

This is more of an indictment of PWE than Cryptic.  The original ideas for NeverWinter were reworked on PWE's command,  and the cash shop has their stink all over it.  

The one thing I will say, is I have heard that STO had a similar screw up on their auction house.   If that is the case and they released the NW trading house with the same bugs....well, time to send some folks to the stocks.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Perhaps this is why online games, not just MMO's should not have an open cash shop until launch. By all means test the cash shop on the test server, but if you are asking players to pay for items before launch the game is asking for this sort of trouble.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Butch808
    yeah, worse D&D game in recent history IMO.

Worse than Daggerfall?

Really D&D games are no longer made, DDO is the only thing.  One of the reasons I had such high hopes for Neverwinter, really wanted a NWN3 though but now am just going to forget about any sort of D&D MMO as it just won't happen.  I really think they should have followed the NWN template (party based play, single player game with multiplayer capabilities aka Persistent Worlds, full modding capability toolset, immersive story) and just made a really great CoOp game and not this MMO trash.  Well hopefully Project Eternity will produce something similar to what a NWN3 would be.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by daHoopsta
    With 3 toons to 60 and time spent in Epic dungeons & PVP I ended up uninstalling NW during the week. If you aren't willing to pay $$ - all the game amounts to is being a grind for AD to do just about anything you can think of. Want to craft that rare leather armor, open a lockbox, respec to a very limited selection of feats/powers, or attach an armor enchant to your epic armor. Not worth the effort IMO and a serious let down for all D&D fans. Foundry is a great idea, but it's not enough to overcome PWE & Cryptics bad implementation of the title

The Foundry is also implemented very poorly.  It has way to much limitations on it and is not immersive at all.  If they don't allow Persistent Worlds then one can just scratch off the Foundry as Persistent Worlds is what kept NWN going.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I play this game as a second, hell 3rd MMO. I play basically for the foundary, and could care less to buy anything with real money ever. A 2 char slots for $5 maybe, but I definitely didn t d/l this fir it s pvp. It s all moot to me, I just think of it as a hack and slash dungeon crawl when I need a break from EQ2 and DAOC. Not sure why I would even touch the pvp in this when I m playing DAOC for just that.
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by daHoopsta

The Foundry is also implemented very poorly.  It has way to much limitations on it and is not immersive at all.  If they don't allow Persistent Worlds then one can just scratch off the Foundry as Persistent Worlds is what kept NWN going.

Are you saying Foundry will not be persistent? That you create a scenario/tavern whatever and it disappears after a while?

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Scot

Are you saying Foundry will not be persistent? That you create a scenario/tavern whatever and it disappears after a while?

Anything made in foundry exists only as an instance, and will disappear as soon as you leave it. There are no saved states or otherwise.

As it's built for dungeon scenarios it only really makes places that operate as quest instances.

Functionally you could probably work around it by creating themed areas and minimizing the amount of dungeon clutter/mobs, so that you can host one-off RP and social locations.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Ok maybe I have not done my research here. So you go into Foundry, create what you want, but as soon as you leave it, the whole thing disappears? I thought they could be rated? So players would go "Ok I will try that one."?
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Oh yeah you can rate them and such. I just meant to say that they operate exactly as a quest instance does in any previous MMO.

After making a quest, it just lives as a file until someone plays it, which makes an instance for them, they do whatever they figure in it, and then it disappears. If they log, zone, or do anything else that removes them from that area it goes away.

So if someone wants to use a foundry mission for social purposes, they need to create individual dungeons with the understanding that they are entirely temporary and functionally immutable at runtime.

I didn't mean to say people can't do such things with it though. As long as you can fit the players into a group together you could make a tavern themed dungeon and use the space to simply hang out or play out an RP. It's just that it's use is a bit more cumbersome and less welcoming to doing so with.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well there is no way i could be convinced that any f2p operation has much in way of support or any idle employees waiting to do the monumental task of uncovering all the exploits.You really should expect sub standard support and bug/exploit fixing.

So if you understand what you are getting yourself into when you enter a f2p game.,then a very simple roll back is also what you would expect.

Point is Perfect World is a free to play operation,expect nothing AAA here.F2p has merely been an excuse for developers to operate as a sub par developer.

What is scary to think is that perhaps PWE does not even have any game logs to look back on,perhaps the logs are one day then vanquished,i really never tried to find out.I would however expect something as they would need logs in case of a botched cash shop order.However knowing that we are only dealing in virtual items which are in essence absolutely worthless,if they had any discrepancies,they could just say customer is right and give them the item,it costs them nothing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.