Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO and MMORPG means?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Seen a lot of people who get these definitions all mixed up. 

MMO=Massive Multiplayer Online

MMORPG=Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game

Don't know if there is a 100% definition of what Massive is I'd say more then 1k players but doesn't really matter.

League of Legends is an example of MMO  there are literally thousands of players, however you will only encounter 10 at a time.

World of Warcraft is MMORPG because you got the roleplaying aspect added to the thousands of players.

Lots of people are very confused about these terms, I just want to help clear things up and there should never be arguments about silly technicalities of word meanings.  Everyone here would like to read fresh ideas from intelligent minds and not lose track by beating dead horses with meaningless conversations about technical word meanings.

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Depending on what you classify as roleplaying many people will drop or put in the RPG part of an MMO too. For example I know people that don't consider WoW a roleplaying game unless people are actively roleplaying on roleplaying servers. On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen people call MMORTS games MMORPGs aswell because they had DnD characteristics. I generally just avoid all confusion by trying to call all MMORPGs MMOs unless I need to call it a MMORPG for whatever purpose. Afterall all MMORPGs are MMOs but not all MMOs are MMORPGs.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by filmoret

League of Legends is an example of MMO  there are literally thousands of players, however you will only encounter 10 at a time.

If LoL is an MMO, Call of Duty is too.  If every popular multiplayer game is automatically an MMO, what use is the term?

No.

Instead, let's use the definition which actually means something, where it implies a shared space with lots of players cohabitating it at once (more than a typical multiplayer game; hence the term "massive")

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Don't know if there is a 100% definition of what Massive is I'd say more then 1k players but doesn't really matter.

World of Warcraft is MMORPG because you got the roleplaying aspect added to the thousands of players.

Lots of people are very confused about these terms, I just want to help clear things up and there should never be arguments about silly technicalities of word meanings.  Everyone here would like to read fresh ideas from intelligent minds and not lose track by beating dead horses with meaningless conversations about technical word meanings.

Duly noted, thanks.

Are you that new here?

Yes, yes you are apparently.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Does this conversation remind anyone else of this?

Randy: Can I get you something?

Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!

Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand.

First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!

Jive Lady: Oh, stewardess! I speak jive.

Randy: Oh, good.

Jive Lady: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.

Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?

Jive Lady: [to the Second Jive Dude] Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da rebound on da med side.

Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!

Jive Lady: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da help!

First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!

Jive Lady: Jive-ass dude don't got no brains anyhow! Shiiiiit.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I see developers get it mixed up more than  the players.

If your game does not offer the MMo experience in the areas that the players play,it is not a MMO.Developers seem to think just because thousands can login to their game it makes it an mmo.

Perfect example Neverwinter

Quests are 99% instances except the simple go see the next npc ones.Dungeons again instances.Heck even the servers are just full of shard instances.Crafting auto behind the scenes you never see any of it.When you craft in FFXI EVERY player can see you crafting.Ok so how about the areas that are  open on those shards?SOLO questing,you don't need a group,geesh even 99% of the quests are solo.

So you see if the design pits everyone playing solo or in instances,you do NOT have the formula for a MMO.It is like chemistry just because you have Hydrogen and Oxygen you can't assume and call it water.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

This is not an MMO.. its a multiplayer game where 10 people play together.. having a lobby system with 1000s of people does not make it an MMO, otherwise most mp games would be classed as an MMO. You dont class COD or BF gaems as MMOs do you?

Yes WOW is a proper MMORPG

I think of MMO / MMORPGs has games that allow 1000s of people to play together in the same world and actually interact with each other.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

SWG pre cu was a MMORPG but when the NGE hit, it changed into a MMO.

The RPG aspect went down the crapper.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I see developers get it mixed up more than  the players.

If your game does not offer the MMo experience in the areas that the players play,it is not a MMO.Developers seem to think just because thousands can login to their game it makes it an mmo.

Perfect example Neverwinter

Quests are 99% instances except the simple go see the next npc ones.Dungeons again instances.Heck even the servers are just full of shard instances.Crafting auto behind the scenes you never see any of it.When you craft in FFXI EVERY player can see you crafting.Ok so how about the areas that are  open on those shards?SOLO questing,you don't need a group,geesh even 99% of the quests are solo.

So you see if the design pits everyone playing solo or in instances,you do NOT have the formula for a MMO.It is like chemistry just because you have Hydrogen and Oxygen you can't assume and call it water.

I guess everyone agree WoW is a MMO,

How do you level?

One can easily reach max level doing quests on his own - probably it is actually faster.

Dungeons are instanced.

The all important endgame, according to this site, are instances, some with only 10 people to start with.

I've never understood why the Open World is so important when it comes to define what is or isn't a MMO but then people define the game by its endgame that most of the time has nothing to do with the Open World.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by Caldrin

This is not an MMO.. its a multiplayer game where 10 people play together.. having a lobby system with 1000s of people does not make it an MMO, otherwise most mp games would be classed as an MMO. You dont class COD or BF gaems as MMOs do you?

I think of MMO / MMORPGs has games that allow 1000s of people to play together in the same world and actually interact with each other.

Using your definition please give 1 example of a game that is mmo but not mmorpg.  The fact that you are interacting with each other make it roleplaying.  You have a role that you are playing.  A character that you are building.  How you play WOW doesn't make it a roleplaying game.  The way WOW is made makes it a roleplaying game.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Duly noted, thanks.

Are you that new here?

Yes, yes you are apparently.

I have started my day with a smile. Thanks, you two! image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Using your definition please give 1 example of a game that is mmo but not mmorpg.  The fact that you are interacting with each other make it roleplaying.  You have a role that you are playing.  A character that you are building.  How you play WOW doesn't make it a roleplaying game.  The way WOW is made makes it a roleplaying game.

An example would be Planetside 2.

People tend to associate the RPG side of things in MMORPGS as character development.. Levels, stats, skills.. you play the role of the class you choose, or the character you develop it does not mean you go around talking with a medieval accent or saying "yes sir night" after every conversation, tho there are of course people who do take it to that extreme as well. Also a big thing about MMORPGs are that peoples characters are usually unique..

I don't class PS2 as a MMORPG as there is really no character development and your just one of many faceless grunts in a war. I mean proper character development as well not a gun add on or equipment add on..

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

In the beginning there was only MMORPG.

Now there are MMOFPS, MMOMOBA, MMORTS, MMOLobby...MMOBLAHBLAHBLAH.

Semantics are important, since when you use words to communicate there meaning is important, but it is also important to understand that it is a much broader market now.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Isn't LOL considered to be a MOBA, Multi-player Online Battle Arena?  And of course GW1 1st coined the term CORPG, Competitive/Cooperative Online Role Playing Game which I think applies more and more to modern online titles such as Neverwinter for example.

I personally reserve the term MMORPG for more virtual world type MMO's, which WOW started off as pretty close to but with design changes in dungeon finders and instant travel now not nearly so much.

It's getting much closer to a MOBA or CORPG in player experience, but the world is still available of course for those who care to explore it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

You shouldn't make definitions if you don't know what you're talking about. 10 players in a match is not massively. If you're just considering total numbers online playing a game every online game would be an MMO.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol isn't a mmo, its a lobby based pvp game just like Tf2 or counterstrike or whatever

Also games like tl2, d3 and poe aren't mmos, they are online games with optional small group coop play, much like left 4 dead.

Mmo is the overall term for massively multiplayer games. Within that you have various sub categories.
    E.g. mmorpg - most of them
    Mmofps - stuff like planetside and ww2 online
    Mmorts - that one trion made after rift.

So you can be a mmo without being a mmorpg, but its a very small group of games, the best known being the two planetsides.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by nethervoid

You shouldn't make definitions if you don't know what you're talking about. 10 players in a match is not massively. If you're just considering total numbers online playing a game every online game would be an MMO.

In that case, 99% of WOW gameplay is not massive.

Heck, most gameplay in many MMOs are instanced based, and not massive.

Is WOW a MMO?

Originally posted by nariusseldon

In that case, 99% of WOW gameplay is not massive.

Heck, most gameplay in many MMOs are instanced based, and not massive.

Is WOW a MMO?

Of course it is.  It has a persistent shared game world.

FF9 doesn't magically stop being an RPG if I decide to spend 99% of my time playing Tetra Master (card game.)

Starcraft 2 doesn't magically stop being an RTS if I decide to spend 99% of my time playing the Lost Vikings arcade game in the singleplayer campaign (shmup.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    In many ways ps2 is the most mmo of modern mmos, everything takes place in an online fully persistent world with no instances. It's certainly more mmoy than instance driven games like swtor, Neverwinter & tsw
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    mmo is the general name of the genre.
    Mmorpg is a subgenre of mmo.
    mmo are games with massively multiplayer gameplay, which means a persistent game world which 100s of players play together that isnt hosted by a user.
    LoL is not a MMO because it does not have a persistant game world in which that massive player base can play together. Only in lobby. Lobbies aren't considered massively multiplayer

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• WololoWololo Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Four0Six

In the beginning there was only MMORPG.

Now there are MMOFPS, MMOMOBA, MMORTS, MMOLobby...MMOBLAHBLAHBLAH.

Semantics are important, since when you use words to communicate there meaning is important, but it is also important to understand that it is a much broader market now.

MMOMOBA = Massive Multiplayer Online Multiplayer Online Battle Arena?

Nice one.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Wololo

Originally posted by Four0Six
    In the beginning there was only MMORPG. Now there are MMOFPS, MMOMOBA, MMORTS, MMOLobby...MMOBLAHBLAHBLAH. Semantics are important, since when you use words to communicate there meaning is important, but it is also important to understand that it is a much broader market now.

Nice one.

basically is a large Game world designed for FFA PvP like a huge arena but calling itself a sandbox which it not even close to being. Games like Darkfall fit this category

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Wololo 

Nice one.

basically is a large Game world designed for FFA PvP like a huge arena but calling itself a sandbox which it not even close to being. Games like Darkfall fit this category

Did you just imply Darkfall had MOBA gameplay?

You do realize MOBA refers to DOTA, LoL, and similar games right?  It's a weak genre title for sure, but refers to a pretty clear type of game -- a type of game Darkfall is nothing like.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by jesad

Does this conversation remind anyone else of this?

Randy: Can I get you something?

Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!

Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand.

First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!

Jive Lady: Oh, stewardess! I speak jive.

Randy: Oh, good.

Jive Lady: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.

Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?

Jive Lady: [to the Second Jive Dude] Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da rebound on da med side.

Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!

Jive Lady: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da help!

First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!

Jive Lady: Jive-ass dude don't got no brains anyhow! Shiiiiit.

Golly!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

MMORPG came first, then it got shortened to MMO. I think they both meant the same thing for a long time because there were no examples of anything except MMORPG.

Now, I think MMO is the umbrella under which MMORPG rests, along with MMOFPS, MMORTS and MMO{undefined}. In order for something to be an MMO, it needs to be part of a group under the MMO umbrella. If it's not one of those MMOxxx things, then it's not an MMO. Make sense?

I think the key defining feature of MMORPGs and by extension MMOs is a persistent, shared world. So MOBAs and D3 are not MMOs.

I also think this is going to change as people apply the MMO moniker to more stuff. If they apply it to MOBAs and D3 enough times, and accept that they fall under the MMO definition, then the definition of MMO will change to accommodate D3 and MOBAs. The persistent, shared world requirement will get dropped and it will be enough that all the people share the game or can be online at the same time.

This isn't a bad or good thing, this is just how language works. It's in a constant state of slowly changing to suite the needs of the people using it. *shrug* MMOs are Dead! Long Live MMOs!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.