Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh no its happening...

SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

So before I start I should say I have subbed for Rift for the first 6 months at launch own a collectors edition and have resubbed many times to fill my needs.

Now since hearing of the Rift F2P change, I decided to give it another go. One thing that always drew me back to Rift was the community. They are...were...great!! Unfortunately with this raptr promo. The community on Faeblight (RP) is tanking hard. Just the all over general vibe has been getting worse day by day. Its making me sad to see that happen. I'm not sure I will last much longer if the community on the best Rift server suffers too much.

Comments

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Yeah it happens. Imagine my heart break when Funcom took rp servers out of Age of Conan and promoted it on steam. You just have to start digging for the community gems now.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Thats why I dont play f2p mmorpgs :)
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    This is only the beginning..  Spend some time playing Tera and you will see what the community will be like after the f2p switch.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Sadly, as trollish as the community can be, it's still one of the better ones. You can't escape it anymore.
  • daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Yeah it's a shame to see it happen.  That's how I felt with DDO a looong time ago when it was still a sub model.  I am not exagerating when I say that every PUG that I joined back then I left with 5-6 new people on my friends list.  It was a great community, and then it went FTP and overnight it became horrible.  I played Rift off and on so I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand I may pick it up again now that it's FTP, but yeah....I am going to have to /ignore all of general chat now.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    This is only the beginning..  Spend some time playing Tera and you will see what the community will be like after the f2p switch.

Tera was like that with the normal community before f2p.that was the reason I left..they kept going about calling people paedo's ,rapists and swearing every 2 seconds..one of the worst in any mmo I have played that's for sure...but I suppose you get those abusive people in most games.

I logged into star trek the other day with a new char ..no sooner had I logged in I got ordered by someone to help them with the words I need help,do it now or fuck off...unbelievable.i don't know what he expected me to do with no lvling to my name lol.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Sawlstone

So before I start I should say I have subbed for Rift for the first 6 months at launch own a collectors edition and have resubbed many times to fill my needs.

Now since hearing of the Rift F2P change, I decided to give it another go. One thing that always drew me back to Rift was the community. They are...were...great!! Unfortunately with this raptr promo. The community on Faeblight (RP) is tanking hard. Just the all over general vibe has been getting worse day by day. Its making me sad to see that happen. I'm not sure I will last much longer if the community on the best Rift server suffers too much.

Make a guild with the people you like....F* the rest

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    I suppose trying to ignore what I can will be the key for myself. It is still a really good game. I just wanted to provide a brief service announcement to anyone heading into Rift-Faeblight

• AxeshunAxeshun Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by kevjards
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Tera was like that with the normal community before f2p.that was the reason I left..they kept going about calling people paedo's ,rapists and swearing every 2 seconds..one of the worst in any mmo I have played that's for sure...but I suppose you get those abusive people in most games.

I logged into star trek the other day with a new char ..no sooner had I logged in I got ordered by someone to help them with the words I need help,do it now or fuck off...unbelievable.i don't know what he expected me to do with no lvling to my name lol.

Funny how that is all I heard about Tera and its community, but i played it for a bit and it didnt seem any different than any other mmo chat Ive encountered.  Maybe it was my server, i dunno.  It was a grindy, themepark but chat was no different than most.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Faeblight community overall is ok, but there are a LOT of bad apples.  It started with all the server closings and people migrating to faeblight because of its population, and then when Defiants and Guardians became friends the combined chat exploded with trollishness.

Chat channels on Faeblight can be much worse (it comes and goes too, not always bad) than my WoW server, but overall the people are pretty good.

TERA is targeted towards a significantly younger, less mature crowd and their community has always been like that.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    All mmo communities are shite, be it f2p or p2p it doesn't matter.
  • CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    yes theres reports/complaints in the official forums about NA server chats going very very ugly with the influx of f2p. You can't help it. Fully expect chat to become as ugly as your average wow chatroom.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

I wonder what you play then image

Also, P2P MMO communities are as bad as F2P.

Two examples WOW and EVE ONLINE (probably the worst)

• IssieaIssiea Member Posts: 75
    I'm a new player and yes it seems pretty bad.  Chuck Norris jokes and all :(  

• brinagh75brinagh75 Member Posts: 9
    All games have trolls.   All games have the "problem players"    I mean they made t-shirts stating "I survived Barrens chat!"    I don't remember WoW ever being f2p.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

I wonder what you play then image

Also, P2P MMO communities are as bad as F2P.

Two examples WOW and EVE ONLINE (probably the worst)

i used to think WoW had the worse community then i played terra.

and EVE ? really my time in EVE i thought the community was fairly decent for a PvP heavy game.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    If people allow a few individuals determine your gaming experience. Then you might as well stop playing MMOs all together. 
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

R.I.P. Rift... it was such great mmo, i remember launch day's where ALL servers was full with queue 9 hours :D

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by marganculos

R.I.P. Rift... it was such great mmo, i remember launch day's where ALL servers was full with queue 9 hours :D

Still a great mmo. Happy for no queues....like diving in and playing. 

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by marganculos

R.I.P.? I guess you haven't checked lately.

After raptr reward all EU servers, except the 2 RP's, are high at peak hours. Icewatch is full with queues up to 300+ ppl.

NA shards are even better in population already.

All this only by the raptr reward. No f2p yet, no past subscribers returned, due to not getting the 30 days reward, like new users.

Imagine that free to play starts at 12-6, with so many newcomers and past subscribers (like me) getting in the game.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

When LotRO went F2P, it suffered a lot of the same which really put me off F2P games. I quit and after a month of PS3 gaming I subbed back to WoW for a bit and it was the same, full of dicks.

Anyway, after quite a while away from LotRO playing various other games, I decided to check it out again and it was like how it used to be. There were no dicks in global chat and I decided to stick around again.

Let's hope all the morons that check RIFT out don't stay too long and move on as people who normally act this way tend to have short attention spans and will get bored soon enough /fingerscrossed

At least the summer is here and the outdoors is beckoning (unless you live in the UK where it always rains).

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    The community seems fine to me. OP obviously hasn't played WoW or LoL and has no idea what a bad community is like.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    The community seems fine to me. OP obviously hasn't played WoW or LoL and has no idea what a bad community is like.

this ^

• beamanbrbeamanbr Member Posts: 1

Wait.... You guys are reading the chat window?