Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the odd of us getting a pet class?

ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

Just wondering, considering we are still having 2 unknown class. We know one is a  clear definite ; a range with assault riffle . Maybe i'm guesng we'll be having like pet heavy with perhaps melee oriented class Maybe ?  so 3 melee(warrior ,stalker , unknownA) and range (esper, spellslinger and unknownB).

Comments

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I think the odds are pretty low. Like you said one is the big guns class. We know another is going to be able to be a healer, I don't think big guns and pet class fit the healer role.

Plus with the combat and avoiding stuff, having to control your pet as well as your character would be rather difficult I think. And doing what WoW does and just make pets take significant less damage from AoE would be boring.

While I love pet classes, magician from EQ! I don't think we're going to see one at release in wildstar, if ever.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I really hope they don't add a pet class, at least not one where the pet is a significant enough part of the class.  Pet AI is terrible in action games, you can't make a pet work without it being overpowered or underpowered because it just doesn't function like a human does, it's way too automated for an action game.  If the pet is a static attacker (Engineer turrets in GW2) or temporary "pets" (illusions from Mesmer, Esper seems to have these too actually) then that works well enough I suppose, but once you start treating the pet as it's own important entity that's when things become problematic.

Problems with pet AI include things like pathfinding and lack of intelligence for dealing with situations.  A pet isn't going to try to get out of AoEs, and having to manage a pet and yourself isn't feasible in an action game.  A pet isn't going to dodge attacks at an appropriate time.  A pet is completely reliant on pathfinding with often makes pet damage complete avoidable by a player able to take advantage of poor pet pathfinding.

I felt like the Ranger in GW2 was ruined by their pet.  My pet in GW2 always felt like a hindrance, especially in higher level Fractals and dungeons where it spent the majority of it's time dead to AoE.  This is why Rangers are weak in group PvE and WvW, but strong in SPvP.  The pet wouldn't be able to hit strafing players continuously and it would always stop during attacks (especially special attacks) instead of attacking on a move like a normal player significantly reducing it's DPS.  It was so frustrating having the pet be a mandatory part of the class (you can't even stow pets, once you are in combat they automatically come out).

• StuddleyStuddley Member Posts: 37
     It isn't a class, but I believe the Scientist can re-name it's Scanbot, and have it interact with things.
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Actually, as pet class are often ranged, one of them could be an Engineer class using rifles and having some sort of bot as a pet.

No idea really, but it could be Though the only pet we have seen in all videos and stuff is the Scientist scan-bot which is not really a pet :P

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Both sides allready have a healing and a tank class... and all 4 of them double as DPS...

Personally i am expecting some kind of controller class.... one with big guns... and the other... we will see.. One of them even might have a pet or two.

Only have 3 classes on each side seems to be the weak spot of the game,  unless those classes are very very flexible and allowing you to shape them up as tools...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by AIMonster

I really hope they don't add a pet class, at least not one where the pet is a significant enough part of the class.  Pet AI is terrible in action games, you can't make a pet work without it being overpowered or underpowered because it just doesn't function like a human does, it's way too automated for an action game.  If the pet is a static attacker (Engineer turrets in GW2) or temporary "pets" (illusions from Mesmer, Esper seems to have these too actually) then that works well enough I suppose, but once you start treating the pet as it's own important entity that's when things become problematic.

Problems with pet AI include things like pathfinding and lack of intelligence for dealing with situations.  A pet isn't going to try to get out of AoEs, and having to manage a pet and yourself isn't feasible in an action game.  A pet isn't going to dodge attacks at an appropriate time.  A pet is completely reliant on pathfinding with often makes pet damage complete avoidable by a player able to take advantage of poor pet pathfinding.

I felt like the Ranger in GW2 was ruined by their pet.  My pet in GW2 always felt like a hindrance, especially in higher level Fractals and dungeons where it spent the majority of it's time dead to AoE.  This is why Rangers are weak in group PvE and WvW, but strong in SPvP.  The pet wouldn't be able to hit strafing players continuously and it would always stop during attacks (especially special attacks) instead of attacking on a move like a normal player significantly reducing it's DPS.  It was so frustrating having the pet be a mandatory part of the class (you can't even stow pets, once you are in combat they automatically come out).

This is why I hate pets in any rpg, tabletop, mmo, game wise, you name it and it just is either overpowered or underpowered and more work than i wish to handle. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Only have 3 classes on each side seems to be the weak spot of the game,  unless those classes are very very flexible and allowing you to shape them up as tools...

Not sure what you mean by this?

Both Exiles and Dominion have the 4 current classes available to them, and both sides will have the final 2 classes available to them. This has been confirmed with a statement saying the Granok will have access to the 2 unrevealed classes (unless they go back on that :/).

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    if WoW has one, Wildstar has one.
  • aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Both sides allready have a healing and a tank class... and all 4 of them double as DPS...

Personally i am expecting some kind of controller class.... one with big guns... and the other... we will see.. One of them even might have a pet or two.

Its been confirmed that all classes are available to both factions.....but their respective race may not be revealed just yet ;).

As for the OP, I actually highly doubt it.  Reasons being that the combat is movement based and relies heavily on dodging, double jumping, and sprinting.  Pets would have no way of mimicking that without being super overpowered.  So I doubt it.