Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Losing interest...

Comments

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Define 'lots". Other than housing what other 'lots' of features are there? if anything it is the only MMO which deserves the title of 'WOW clone'.

Such a WOW clone that it offers dynamic combat/ you can move while fighting and can use a controller.

No really, don't even try to bash WildStar comparing it to WOW…or I'll have to remind you all the games WOW has copied. WildStar is a "cartoonish"-looking MMO and this has nothing to do with WOW.

Did you never play this 1999 game called "Rayman 2" ?

http://www.oldiesrising.com/images_testsv3/Sega%20Dreamcast/Rayman%202%20-%20The%20Great%20Escape/Rayman%202%20-%20The%20Great%20Escape2.jpg

Or watched this 2002 movie?

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32500000/Walt-Disney-Posters-Treasure-Planet-walt-disney-characters-32526446-1783-2480.jpg

WildStar has a "cartoon" style - sure - but that's the only common thing with World of Warcraft (2004). Thanks God we can still make Cartoonish looking games without having to call them "WOW Clones" especially when the gameplay, outside some generic MMO aspects, has nothing in common with WOW.

PS: Looking forward to ESO like crazy :)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

wildstar needs to aggressively market their game because quite frankly fewer people know about it.

TESO can wait to release info and when they do the internet will light up, they will have no issues marketing their game when they feel the time is right.

TESO isn't the first company to take this "hush hush" approach.

oh and i wont be playing wildstar, i don't play games with cheesy graphics anymore.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Remains

Damn, this thread got derailed fast...

Anyway, it is a bit strange how quiet it is about this game. I think they got scared by the negative reactions to the game when they announced it, so they pulled their heads back in. And ye, the dev questions seems to mostly be about hilariously irrelevant stuff. image

Still, its been in development for years, right? So it should come out "soonish" then? Personally I cant wait for the usual nerdrage and shenanigans for the launch, as with any other MMO-launch.

I agree.

However, I think more game companies need to keep quiet about their features until they are cemented into place. Too many gamers who start crying "the sky is falling" when a developer changes something or adds something.

A developer should be able to change, add and remove anything they want during development.

I'm not worried about this game losing interested players. Heck, based on the HUGE lines at PAX it seems that there are many people who are following this game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Jerkbag

it baffles me that an elder scrolls game with so many fans and followers only has a current hype on this website of 8.20 below games like Path of Exile  and World of Darkness.

Maybe i rate the elder scrolls franchise to highly and have unreasonable expectations i dont know...maybe its to early to give out any sort of info...

What you you guys think?

I think... the only reason it has more than a 6 is because of it's name.

Everything we know about the game and everything that's been shown just looks average. It's riding on the franchise's coat tails from the look of it.

It could prove to be a decent game but it just doesn't look like it so far. Just looks average.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

There isn't a single MMO that comes out is what they said it would be or even has the features they use to sell it any longer. Don't believe a single thing a Dev says about a MMO until you see the game for yourself. Hype is just fanbois on the wagon with no actual information to go on. Remember what they say the game will be more than likely isn't what the game will be anyway. They just want your money quick and fast as possible before going F2P.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

so i've been pumped for this time since the time it was announced as i am a big ES fan and mmo player, but i think the way the are marketing it is rather terrible in my opinion ... i feel like there is a massive lack of news and updates thus giving it no hype or interest from people browsing for a new mmo, now perhaps that is because the release date is maybe further towards the end of the year and i don't have the content or the answers to give 

whereas another new MMO Wildstar has taken my fancy releases new updates regularly though that seems to be in the beta stage so release may be sooner giving them more stuff to talk about though i also think ESO is also in CBT?

I guess what i'm trying to say is they need to market there game better because i fear ALOT of people are losing interest or haven't even heard of it yet and i'm worried they are going to hit the ground running and right now im more likely to play wildstar then ESO because of it

it baffles me that an elder scrolls game with so many fans and followers only has a current hype on this website of 8.20 below games like Path of Exile  and World of Darkness.

Maybe i rate the elder scrolls franchise to highly and have unreasonable expectations i dont know...maybe its to early to give out any sort of info...

What you you guys think?

P.S Developer questions? really? WTF is that? "what's the grossest ingredient you're character has ever tasted in and Elder Scrolls game" i think i speak for majority when i say who cares? i think they are upto developer question number 24  thats 24 dumb questions..... that's not what we want we want info and answer OUR questions don't ask your own.... hows the game coming along ? what did you focus on in development this past month? give us something..

I could be completely wrong here but this just my opinion

I agree with you. They're not promoting it enough. They seem to be revealing details on a very leisurely schedule--like once a month... maybe. The weekly Dev Q&A ranges from occasionally informative to totally irrelevant fluff (This week's: "What is the grossest ingredient your character has ever tasted in an Elder Scrolls Game"....really? Who gives a flying f**k? How about telling us how siege weapons will be crafted instead of this shit?).

I made the same point here a couple of weeks ago (I forget which thread) also comparing it to Wildstar's great PR campaign which has weekly reveals with good little game-play videos that are well scripted and have the same humorous tone as all of their previous videos.

Several others here responded saying basically, that Wildstar is an unknown IP and needs more PR than ESO. Maybe so, but I still think Zenimax is being way too casual.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    im glad ZOS isn't over-hyping TESO.  it does nothing but create drama and flame wars on the forums.  game is still about 6 months out so im sure there will be more hype closer to launch.
  • romelloromello Member Posts: 34
    do what i do, erase all games u cant play from memory, pretend they don't exist, problem solved

hallo ~_~

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Iselin

so i've been pumped for this time since the time it was announced as i am a big ES fan and mmo player, but i think the way the are marketing it is rather terrible in my opinion ... i feel like there is a massive lack of news and updates thus giving it no hype or interest from people browsing for a new mmo, now perhaps that is because the release date is maybe further towards the end of the year and i don't have the content or the answers to give 

whereas another new MMO Wildstar has taken my fancy releases new updates regularly though that seems to be in the beta stage so release may be sooner giving them more stuff to talk about though i also think ESO is also in CBT?

I guess what i'm trying to say is they need to market there game better because i fear ALOT of people are losing interest or haven't even heard of it yet and i'm worried they are going to hit the ground running and right now im more likely to play wildstar then ESO because of it

What you you guys think?

P.S Developer questions? really? WTF is that? "what's the grossest ingredient you're character has ever tasted in and Elder Scrolls game" i think i speak for majority when i say who cares? i think they are upto developer question number 24  thats 24 dumb questions..... that's not what we want we want info and answer OUR questions don't ask your own.... hows the game coming along ? what did you focus on in development this past month? give us something..

I agree with you. They're not promoting it enough. They seem to be revealing details on a very leisurely schedule--like once a month... maybe. The weekly Dev Q&A ranges from occasionally informative to totally irrelevant fluff (This week's: "What is the grossest ingredient your character has ever tasted in an Elder Scrolls Game"....really? Who gives a flying f**k? How about telling us how siege weapons will be crafted instead of this shit?).

I made the same point here a couple of weeks ago (I forget which thread) also comparing it to Wildstar's great PR campaign which has weekly reveals with good little game-play videos that are well scripted and have the same humorous tone as all of their previous videos.

Several others here responded saying basically, that Wildstar is an unknown IP and needs more PR than ESO. Maybe so, but I still think Zenimax is being way too casual.

really?  how to craft siege weapons?  the problem with other games releasing so much info before the game comes out is that everyone has already played it before they have it installed on their hard drives.  you want to know how to craft siege weapons?  how is that important?  put some crafting materials together and bam - siege weapon.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Caldrin

don't get worked up about new MMORPGs you will just get upset when they are released.

This is the kind of wisdom you get after having played MMOs for a billion years like us. lol Also said it all inside a tweet. Another bonus.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by nethervoid
    Originally posted by Caldrin

don't get worked up about new MMORPGs you will just get upset when they are released.

This is the kind of wisdom you get after having played MMOs for a billion years like us. lol Also said it all inside a tweet. Another bonus.

LOL, well said, can't say I'm excited about any upcoming games, so I can't really get let down either.  And hey, if one actually turns out to be one I really like, it will be a pleasant surprise.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by muffins89
    really?  how to craft siege weapons?  the problem with other games releasing so much info before the game comes out is that everyone has already played it before they have it installed on their hard drives.  you want to know how to craft siege weapons?  how is that important?  put some crafting materials together and bam - siege weapon.

So... what is the grossest ingredient your character has ever eaten in a TES game?

"bam--siege weapon"... "Look ma! I have a backpack and pulled out this Insta-ballista kit from it and...bam! Cool or what?"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hopelessnesshopelessness Member Posts: 5
    the hype for this game took a nose dive after the leaked beta footage came out.. Zenimax did nothing to counter it and hasn't recovered. I imagine things could change rapidly for this game with the release of new media/info and I am certain it will make it's way back onto the list once they engage the hype machine... I suppose it could be concious decision to not 'over-hype' their game, however I'm skeptical this is even possible given the pressure companies have on advertising demands.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

" SWTOR which is labeled as 'WOW in space" your kidding?

"We can list SWTOR and WIldstar features side by side if you like and you will realise WIldstar is more similar to WOW than any other MMO which has been labeled as WOW clone in the past."

WoW is the most successful MMO to follow in their footsteps isn't a bad thing in my eyes alot of people a tired of WoW and are looking for a game like WoW

i think you actually havent looking into wildstar at all

you're either a bad troll or stupid

No i am not kidding. Did you just switch on the internet or something? SWTOR also tried to follow in footsteps of WOW, so did Rift and almost any other MMO in last 6 to 7 years. So nope it won't consider following in footsteps of WOW a good thing.

And now now...no need to call me names. Usually when people go that route it means they got nothing better to say.

And yes i did look into Wildstar, infact i was one of the few players who got to play the very first demo at PAX. 

But i am confused why are you angry? because i said Wildstar feels very much like WOW? because according to you many are looking for a game like WOW.  And then you tell me to go look into Wildstar.

I'm quite confused by your statements, as you state that you were here to "bring logic back to the discussion" and yet all I see is gross hyperbole. No logical deductions as to why or how you came to your "logical conclusion" other than a broad and hardly solid statement of stating that you "played WildStar at PAX" and yet you give no true indication as to why you are giving it the moniker of "WoW Clone".

So please, if you are here with any logic then show us the path and steps that your logic took to get to the final statement that you seem to stubbornly hold on to. :)

I don't see what is so confusing about what i said? i don't usually make assumptions about games i didn't play. But the half an hour that i spent at PAX  i couldn't shake the feeling that i am playing an updated version of WOW. Every MMOS that have been labeled as WOW clones in past also brought something new to the table or improved on existing features. And yet people constantly put those game down as WOW clones.

And then we have Wildstar which probably is the closest to following in WOW's footsteps with its own added feature. So i simply ask..why the double standards?

I can give you the laundry list of similarities but what difference will it make? just more circular arguments about how it is or not similar to WOW. But my experience is my own and more i read more i feel that if any MMO who deserved the dubious title of WOW clone it is this game.

However, i don't consider that a bad thing because i have enjoyed RIft, Swtor and WOW equally. And i will surely play WIldstar too but pardon me if i have hard time digesting the hypocrisy and double standards that go around when people decide what game should be labeled as WOW clone or not on basis of their own agenda, hate and bias.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Im writing this as im waiting my friends to play rift and get ready for the free to play conversion.

1st You seem to get very easily tricked by advertisment.

2nd  u have to understand how companies work.

Some companies do have the need to advertise their game cevause they dont have fame and their game kinda most of the times suck.

Some other companies think that advertisement is the key factor for a game to sell and they do it even if they have fame.

Some others on the other hand have fame they know who they are and they dont anounce aka advertise things before they are 95 % sure that what they are doing is nearly a complete decision.

Many times they dont anounce a lot of things about the game because they dont want their rivals to copy them or to suck their ideas etc.

Dont fall for advertisement .Let the game speak for it self when it releases.

People's voice is the best source to know if the game is worth it or not.

And believe me i have years of experience ...wildstar will be a big fail

Elder scrolls? we dont know yet because we haven't seen an actual gameplay besides the leaked video which we dont know if it was from alpha or pre alpha.But time will tell and soon we will all know if it's worth it.

peace

edit this is my 666 post wtf i see lots of 6s the last 2 years.Wtf 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Jerkbag it baffles me that an elder scrolls game with so many fans and followers only has a current hype on this website of 8.20 below games like Path of Exile  and World of Darkness. Maybe i rate the elder scrolls franchise to highly and have unreasonable expectations i dont know...maybe its to early to give out any sort of info... What you you guys think?

Everything we know about the game and everything that's been shown just looks average. It's riding on the franchise's coat tails from the look of it.

It could prove to be a decent game but it just doesn't look like it so far. Just looks average.

to me this game looks better than most that are in develoment or released.

i would love to hear what you think does deserve an 8 and i really hope its not any of the games you currently have listed as games you are playing because every single one of them are average at best.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

1) First, there is zero correlation to a Hype meter on these forums and the success of a game at release and 3-6 months post release. History has shown this time and time again with games like Aion, Warhammer, TOR, Age of Conan, etc.

2) Remember, forums posters at sites like this probably represent less than 1% of the gaming population. 

3) I for one am happy this hype went down on this game after the leaked video and now flying a little under the radar. Every game over hyped has only led to disappointment. Even Guild Wars 2 which I liked and was extremely high hyped didn't live up to what I expected from these dynamic events, nor did the leveling system and feeling of progression. Its a great game, but the hype  meter and forums made it out to be the next great calling which it wasn't.

4) I haven't played WOW in years, but it was the only game that kept me for multiple years. That is because it was my first MMO, there wasn't as much competition back then as there is today, and there weren't a continuing stream of WOW clones 10 years later since when that was released, it was perfect timing even if it borrowed from other games. It was the perfect time to grab newbies like me who were only used to console gaming. It was very newbie friendly and the experience was just nothing I had experienced before and I fell in love with the social aspect and exploring a virtual world. Its unlikely that any new release will ever have the same impact again until something drastically changes the MMO formula. Wildstar wont, Elder Scrolls wont, but both games will probably have a solid fan base. What I do know is that every friend I know that has played Skyrim can't wait for this game knowing the experience of an MMO is different from a single player game and sacrifices have to be made.

5) I agree that I wish they would release more gameplay videos of current builds. Its clear to me from leaked info that the original leaked video is nowhere on par with the current build and the plethora of options now available for the testers. Hopefully in June we will see something more substantial. We just have to be patient and not assume 'they are hiding something'.

There Is Always Hope!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

To a degree I can understand the OP. I mean, I won't say Wow-Clone, but... another pure themepark without any sandbox? Really? The n-th approach to the really same old "story, quests, be done with it" formula? Even if it is made good... how long will that work? At best, 5 months, 6 months?

And so far nothing really stands out as new or breathtaking, just... more of the same, even if maybe made really well. *shrug* I can feel less and less enthusiasm for that formula.

And then Tamriel. Yeah, I love that world. But as a matter of fact I KNOW Tamriel pretty well, and I have a hard time to believe it's gonna be good in a MMORPG manifestation. I mean, I am the first to rejoice if it works as a MMO. But with Tamriel/Elder Scrolls I connect VAST, big OPEN worlds. Not artificial borders. Not forced down a road by quest hubs, and certainly not bothered by kill stealers, shrubbery ninjas and endless troll chat.

I am simply not sure if Elder Scrolls SHOULD have a MMO at all.

*sigh* Maybe I just start having enough of these sort of themepark MMOs. I just can't see another so-so, ok we can play it a few months, "it has potential" MMO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

I never thought ESO would be a good MMO. It's a great singe player experience and with it's scale, an Elder Scrolls MMO in theory sound great, but the systems of an MMO I feel won't translate correctly and give the same feel of a Elder Scroll game.

just my two cents.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

What you you guys think?

P.S Developer questions? really? WTF is that? "what's the grossest ingredient you're character has ever tasted in and Elder Scrolls game" i think i speak for majority when i say who cares? i think they are upto developer question number 24  thats 24 dumb questions..... that's not what we want we want info and answer OUR questions don't ask your own.... hows the game coming along ? what did you focus on in development this past month? give us something..

"so i've been pumped for this time since the time"   -- I stopped reading right there.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Vannor

What you you guys think?

If anything the name has hurt the overall hype of the game, due to expectations that have come with that name. If this wasn't a TES game it would be heralded as the next DAOC right now, more so than CU.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I love the ES world but really when I play an ES game I am there for the pure hilarity of playing singleplayer and wreaking havoc amongst NPCs and then going through the extensive story. Now when it comes to MMOs there are certain expectations that need to be met, one problem is ongoing support / more content. When I play Skyrim I am aware of how much content there is and the limits. In ESO even if I finish hundreds of hours more gameplay and reach the end I would still think "So when's the next content patch?"

There's something psychological I can't quite pinpoint but that's one of the reasons. I think what I really want is Skyrim with multiplayer, not full scale ESO.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    At least you didn't say loosing.

chuckle, be nice.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    what is a bit weird is -for a game that should release this year - that there are hardly any videos...this and the fact that they just recently introduced the first person view makes me think that - also regarding the leaked video and the beta - are heavily changing stuff cause players/beta testers were not happy...
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    what is a bit weird is -for a game that should release this year - that there are hardly any videos...this and the fact that they just recently introduced the first person view makes me think that - also regarding the leaked video and the beta - are heavily changing stuff cause players/beta testers were not happy...

Many of the players won't be happy until they get Skyrim Online. That is simply not in the cards. Though a large number of their design choices are rather questionable. Like granting a stacking bonus to xp just for being grouped.