Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Neverwinter: Cryptic's Word on Catursday

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Immediately after last weekend's Astral Diamonds / Zen exploit fix was implemented, we reached out to Cryptic Studios and Perfect World with questions about the issue. We have the answers from the proverbial horse's mouth. Check it out and then join the conversation in the comments.

MMORPG: When was the exploit discovered?

Andy Velasquez: The issue was brought to our attention by our players on Sunday morning (5/19) at which time we took immediate action by bringing the Auction House and Astral Diamond exchange offline. To follow the course of events that day, check out the forum.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Neverwinter: Cryptic's Word on Catursday.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    BS. There were bug reports sent in during the closed beta.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Ya! They purposely ignored it to generate bad press! Those self hating jerks.

• kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    lol the expoit was reported numerous times by fellow guildies in the 2nd closed beta test so they knew waaaaaaay before that....
  • wileeewileee Member Posts: 6

I foolishly got into the closed Beta after reading about the exploits on the Neverwinter facebook page.  I ASSUMED that they would take care of it.  I am guessing that they never read many of the bug reports or facebook comments.  Or everyone who read them thought someone else would take care of them.  Sad, it has the bones of a good game.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Watch all the haters...not one of them will hate on the exploiters...

I don't see what the big deal is, it's been fixed.  It's like if people were still crying about the Rupee bug in Ocarina of Time...it's still there to this day since N64 games couldn't be updated...it was fixed in the 3DS version though hehe.

• kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Watch all the haters...not one of them will hate on the exploiters...

It's not about the exploiters, its about them knowing about the bug since March....hell even before that in Star Trek Online where the bug came from. If they would have read the bug reports and not use the same code from STO that issue would have not even made into OB.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

The old phrase comes to mind, "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me'.  If this was a known issue, people should have thought it could be in the game.

Still Cryptic should have done due diligence and had this all worked out.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Geez the arogance of these devs claiming they only knew about this bug the day it happens.   Utter BS.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well... There could also be the issue of the bug being in the legacy department, as in it actually being inherited from STO and either the build was so old it had not been fixed yet (and then overlooked, that can actually happen.) or it was fixed and then some other change triggered a similar problem.

Or we can all just assume the worst and be all pissy about it.

I prefer the first option my self, a lot easier on the karma.

This have been a good conversation

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    This is why I will never play a Cryptic game. Their devs lie to their players shamelessly and they ignore the game that they are being paid to work on, not even fixing easy to fix bugs (that have already been in another game that they developed). They are greedy to the core and it clearly shows.

Smile

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    This is why I will never play a Cryptic game. Their devs lie to their players shamelessly and they ignore the game that they are being paid to work on, not even fixing easy to fix bugs (that have already been in another game that they developed). They are greedy to the core and it clearly shows.

a company being greedy, only interested in their money and not on the welfare of their customers.. surely not... unbelievable... how dare they think of profit (not the same as cash) before anything else. And use mindless PR to dope people into thinking they are the good guys.

surely other companies don't do thi... oh wait... they all do. the circle of liffffffeee... 

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Okay the thing about this is that as players we make a lot of assumptions. Firstly, if people flagged this exploit then that great. If they did it in 2nd week beta, even better! 

at this point you have no idea whether the exploit found then was thought as fixed then unfixed by further patching. You also have no idea whether it was always in the process of being fixed but they were pushed to release. I suppose it being broke in beta week 2 and open beta is still very likely though, if its keeping the 'beta' label. 

Despite this, it is not an excuse for people to post and make videos of this exploit to damage the game for other players. You see an exploit, you report it. You don't take advantage of it. You will get banned. If it takes Cryptic a month or two to fix it, then that's what they do. 

I suppose you could say, why not release the game with the AH down until its fixed? Well, considering the nature of the exploit and how it worked is not easy to fathom being the average player I imagine they want the features in use and they work behind the scenes. I mean I was playing for a good period of time before the exploit kicked off and the only reason it went bananas is because someone made a viral video explaining how to do it. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    This is more an issue of the players and mostly the haters thinking they know more than the developers about what's going on.

Originally posted by describable

a company being greedy, only interested in their money and not on the welfare of their customers.. surely not... unbelievable... how dare they think of profit (not the same as cash) before anything else. And use mindless PR to dope people into thinking they are the good guys.

surely other companies don't do thi... oh wait... they all do. the circle of liffffffeee... 

So that makes it right? Your logic isn't logical at all.

Smile

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    This is more an issue of the players and mostly the haters thinking they know more than the developers about what's going on.

You obviously don't know Cryptic's track record and that they have been known for doing such things like this in the past. They are a mediocre company with terrible developers that somehow got brought into the spotlight. Their only good game was CoH which was killed off by NCsoft. 

Smile

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

Okay the thing about this is that as players we make a lot of assumptions. Firstly, if people flagged this exploit then that great. If they did it in 2nd week beta, even better! 

at this point you have no idea whether the exploit found then was thought as fixed then unfixed by further patching. You also have no idea whether it was always in the process of being fixed but they were pushed to release. I suppose it being broke in beta week 2 and open beta is still very likely though, if its keeping the 'beta' label. 

Despite this, it is not an excuse for people to post and make videos of this exploit to damage the game for other players. You see an exploit, you report it. You don't take advantage of it. You will get banned. If it takes Cryptic a month or two to fix it, then that's what they do. 

I suppose you could say, why not release the game with the AH down until its fixed? Well, considering the nature of the exploit and how it worked is not easy to fathom being the average player I imagine they want the features in use and they work behind the scenes. I mean I was playing for a good period of time before the exploit kicked off and the only reason it went bananas is because someone made a viral video explaining how to do it. 

Dude come on! You can't be that naive?

FIRST!  This huge exploit appeared first in their other game STO months ago! People have posted proof about it aplenty!

As all their games share the same engine, toolset and thus basically code base! The first thing you do, when such a blatant exploit is discovered.... is to immediately check Your other games to make sure the exploit is not present there as well!

THEY DID NOT!

SECOND! People reported this exploit during the closed betas and since day one of launch and it was just ignored! Nothing done! Some People who tried to report it on the forums weeks ago in the bug report section got outright banned for it! More proof they darn well knew about it!

So them telling right now they did not know about this exploit is an OUTRIGHT LIE!   As they knew about it months ago in STO!  And they had all the bug reports thrown at their faces!

This is pure Damage Control! Nothing more! Nothing less!

They don't give a crap! And I wouldn't even be suprised they purposely let the exploit go on this long.... as the current wrecked and heavily inflated economy favors them greatly! As it forces People to spend more Money!

This Whole game is nothing but a quick cash grab for them! Rake in as much cash as quickly as possible and in some months from now, when the population has crashed, put it in maintenance mode and start working on the Next game. Rince and repeat!

And to be honest. This is pretty much standard practice these days for the run of the mill Free 2 Play MMO's!

Hence, why I hate the Free 2 Play model with a passion!  It's litterly destroying the MMO genre if this continues on any longer. /shrug

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

He may have worded a bit smarmy but his central message is sound: companies are there to make money, period. They are not there to be your friends or cater to your specific wants/likes. The put out a product. You like it? You play and pay for that privilege. Don't like it or their costumer service? You don't play or give them your money. That simple. Everything else is just wishful thinking.

Look, if a company has such a bad reputation and their products are so inept, why are they still in business? Because, even though you loathe them and think they are pure evil and greed, some other consumer likes their product and doesn't seem to mind the poor service. Beauty of the market.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by Fendel84M This is more an issue of the players and mostly the haters thinking they know more than the developers about what's going on.  
    You obviously don't know Cryptic's track record and that they have been known for doing such things like this in the past. They are a mediocre company with terrible developers that somehow got brought into the spotlight. Their only good game was CoH which was killed off by NCsoft. 

Cryptic was doing a fine job of killing CoH before they left.

Cryptic is a bad developer and the amazing thing is that they are actually getting worse with each new release.

Originally posted by kakasaki

He may have worded a bit smarmy but his central message is sound: companies are there to make money, period. They are not there to be your friends or cater to your specific wants/likes. The put out a product. You like it? You play and pay for that privilege. Don't like it or their costumer service? You don't play or give them your money. That simple. Everything else is just wishful thinking.

Look, if a company has such a bad reputation and their products are so inept, why are they still in business? Because, even though you loathe them and think they are pure evil and greed, some other consumer likes their product and doesn't seem to mind the poor service. Beauty of the market.

Yup and there are still better companies than Cryptic. One's that don't outright lie to their player-base. But please continue to enjoy a mediocre game made with a shoddy engine that's been used for all of Cryptic's games since 2004.

Smile

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    I really wasn't bothered or effected with this exploit, but I would have thought that mmorpg.com would have raised the question: The exploit was know for weeks/months, why wasn't action taken sooner instead of last sunday (5/19)?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    I really wasn't bothered or effected with this exploit, but I would have thought that mmorpg.com would have raised the question: The exploit was know for weeks/months, why wasn't action taken sooner instead of last sunday (5/19)?

Well, if you read the Cryptic version of events, then you''ll see that they "first became aware of the bug on Sunday (5/19)".

Which means they're saying that they never received any bug reports, tweets, emails or any other notification that a bug like this existed. Quite simply, they were not aware of it.

All these people posting on various forums claiming that they told Cryptic about the bug are lying.

Or Cryptic is lying.

But BOTH parties can't be telling the truth, surely ?

Originally posted by Reklaw

Because MMORPG.com never asks questions that may affect their advertising revenue. I don't care what they say, when they never bring up questions that need to be brought up, it's quite obvious that they are owned by the companies and games that they cover. 

Also for those questioning if Cryptic would lie or not, please just go and look at their business profile on Trust Link Reviews. Here's the url for Cryptic's page: http://www.trustlink.org/Reviews/Cryptic-Studios-206046681

One of the worst companies out there.

Smile

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

QFT

I knew about the exploit and even how to do it...the thing is, I have this little thing called honor.  I don't want to debase myself by cheating in games...I know it's hard to believe but a lot of players just rush to get ahead by any means possible and miss the entire point of MMOs.  MMOs and life are similar in many ways.  If you rush and cheat your way to a lot of money, it'll eventually catch up to you.  They'll both end up being no fun, and in life mainly because you're in prison lol.  What people should learn is if you took all that time and effort you put into cheating, you could've made a very nice, legitimate way of life.

Edit: Perhaps Cryptic fixed the bug back in closed beta, but in a future patch they bug fix was left out since that patch was worked off an older version or something...There's a reason why in every single game you play there are bugs that come and go, it doesn't necessarily mean the developers are lying...

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

Bill,

Did they put limitations on what you could ask them  or ask to pre-screen the questions? There have been many claims that these bugs where reported during closed beta and that nothing was done about it. I was wondering if you chose to not follow-up with that question or if they let you know they would not answer that.

Thanks!

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I knew about the exploit and even how to do it.

That's lovely. Did you report it? If so, did you report before 19th May?