Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm so confused about how this game is thriving...

Comments

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    In other words, binary minds... the world is either black or white, gray doesn't exist ;-)

My computer is better than yours.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

I'm not sure what you guys, steve and white, are talking about, but certainly you aren't talking about the same thing I was.

We are talking about how the end game design is still the same after so many years. And GW2 is following the same design with few minor adjustments. 

Yeah, not talking about what I was talking about at all.

I was replying to a person that said MMOs should focus on endgame content and I asked if that is instances.

I asked that because apparently games like GW1, Neverwinter, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, etc, aren't MMORPGs since they don't have a shared Open World and it is all instances.

I don't think he was talking about anything else other then dungeon grind when he said 'more focus on end game.' That is why i mentioned that GW2 is following same design with some adjustments and should be right up his alley. GW2 has a lot of end game focus on dungeons if that is what he is looking for.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Not everyone needs a gear carrot

I think many people find gw2s pve fun because its much easier to group with your friends, it doesn't suffer from what you get with a wow style gear driven game where you have to be at the same gear level to go do a dungeon or dragon event or whatever, if you play 30 hours a week and your mate 10, you can still play together. People make much of the no trinity and not waiting on a dedicated tank and healer, but the breaking of the gear skinner box is even more important, instead of having to find random people with the right gear, you can just play with people you like. It also puts less pressure on guilds, there's no second job thing where guild members are pushed by leaders to play x hours per week and what have you.

I found gw2 pve fun.

But I'm not playing because the spvp was disappointing compared to gw1 with all its meta game invoking builds and no guild vs guild. And the WvW which was my main reason to play the game was hugely disappointing compared to the likes of daoc and planetside (hell I found the massively flawed war more fun than WvW)
  • IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

I wanted to like GW2 but I've quit it even faster than I had quit WAR.

IMHO their flaw was that after experiencing high level undead enemies, everything else feels too easy. Monsters in Or had knockbacks, pull attacks, high damage combos, hardcore AOEs, stuns etc. They were by a huge margin more complex enemies than everything else. When you come to a lvl 30 location after that, it just feels like a faceroll. Even if you are downscaled, even in lower gear, it is just too easy to fight them because you do not have to watch out for the hooks, you do not have to dodge aoes, you do not have to dodge stuns, you do not... you just 1-button them. Simple. Not to mention, reward is not as good, and its a PITA to manually check every item for its level because it was not worth it to even salvage low level items because market price for their reagents was too low.

Therefore, there was absolutely no reason to go to low level locations for a high level character after you've been there once and did the jumping puzzle/zone completion. Failure in design. I do not know how did they not expect it.

And then your outdoor PVE becomes "zerg rush aoe this Grenth event over and over again" and it bores you after several days and you stop playing.

I still believe they can fix this, this game more than any other games has potential to be a really big and interesting game world which is all alive, not just 1 capital city having all players in it at all times, but so far they haven't done anything to remedy it I think...

Makes me wonder if they should have gone further and got rid of levels too.

Grouping would have been even easier then.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Grailer
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    Most MMOs soon abandon levelling zones, Guild Wars 2 is no exception. One of the reasons I think game levelling content is a waste of time.  An MMO with all endgame content would be far preferable to one that spends its entire budget on leveling content that people only do once.

Yeah but that's how these games have worked for the last 20 + years

Endgame being instanced raids and dungeons?

The endgame is pretty much dungeons and the living story stuff. The down leveling gimmick didn't seem to work as well as intended. Even Anet admits that and are attempting to get the population back in the zones. No one wants to repeat the events over and over. It really isn't much different than repeating a quest. They need to carry through on their promise to change up events more often.

How could you leave out WvW? There's a large population where WvW isn't only endgame, it's THE game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

They could fix WvW by taking a few queues from ps2.

Let guilds make open raids others can join. Then have integrated raid level and party level voice chat, and a WvW wide chat for raid leaders only.

Instead of teleporting in and out of WvW maps from a lobby, have gates you pass through that connect the 4 maps. Also they should rotate the 3 outer maps like they do the central one. Everyone wants to play the central one as the others get repetitive.
  • CreampajCreampaj Member Posts: 10

I really don't get how people can still play this game? The only good thing about the game is the lvling because of the extremely beautiful world, cool story etc. Other than that, what's good about it?

I logged in last night to say hi to some people that I met in-game. It was a really low amount of players everywhere. What the the hell is everyone doing since there is no endgame?

I installed Age of Conan again a couple of days ago and started to level an Assassin and when I got to the main city I saw like 100 times more players than in all cities combined in GW2 lol.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I bought the game for the WvW and the crafting

The WvW  is like a 15 minute pvp match stretched to weeks played in a phone booth with zergs constantly doing and undoing what the enemy zerg did...and all signifying NOTHING.

The crafting is the worst.Key item needed to craft are randomly dropped..so you end up endlessly grinding the same mobs over and over and over waiting for a drop.Because money is so tight it's not easy to just go to the AH and buy the items you need to craft.

Such a disappointment.Is the game being fixed ?All I see are events and story lines.Nothing to fix the fundamental flaws.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Creampaj

I installed Age of Conan again a couple of days ago and started to level an Assassin and when I got to the main city I saw like 100 times more players than in all cities combined in GW2 lol.

This is simply not true. AoC is a desert compared to Lion's Arch, even outside of peak hours.

My computer is better than yours.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I didn't read all the posts but I can tell you right now why it's still thriving:

Because people find it fun to play. Maybe not you or everyone, but enough that it makes it sustainable. Simple as that really.

• AstroFMAstroFM Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Creampaj

I really don't get how people can still play this game? The only good thing about the game is the lvling because of the extremely beautiful world, cool story etc. Other than that, what's good about it?

I logged in last night to say hi to some people that I met in-game. It was a really low amount of players everywhere. What the the hell is everyone doing since there is no endgame?

Well maybe people are playing the game instead of standing around in the cities ;-)

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

How transparent you are another hate thread from someone who i suspect never played GW2 lol.

Why you feel the earge to do this is beyond me?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Classicstar

How transparent you are another hate thread from someone who i suspect never played GW2 lol.

Your siggy....

I quit Guildwars 2 for now im fed up with empty world:(...

I think the main point was him asking sarcastically how it was thriving since for him it seemed empty to him.. which your signature actually is kind of saying. So... your actually kind of supporting his thread in a way while also attacking him... which is a bit weird. 

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Your siggy....

I quit Guildwars 2 for now im fed up with empty world:(...

I think the main point was him asking sarcastically how it was thriving since for him it seemed empty to him.. which your signature actually is kind of saying. So... your actually kind of supporting his thread in a way while also attacking him... which is a bit weird. 

Thank you I thought the same thing. I don't get the whole empty world, every other MMO I played has maybe a hand full of people per zone.

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110
    This is the exact reason as why I quit GW2 and went back to the dreadful WoW. NO matter when, where, and what happens, you can always find people logged in on WoW. So basically it's more of a leaning towards Social gaming over repetitive gameplay. 
    all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Himshim
    This is the exact reason as why I quit GW2 and went back to the dreadful WoW. NO matter when, where, and what happens, you can always find people logged in on WoW. So basically it's more of a leaning towards Social gaming over repetitive gameplay. 

On US server Tarnished Coast there are people EVERYWHERE. And it is very social, so I don;t know what you expect. If you aren't social beyond being forced to be grouped for dungeons, then NO game is social for you.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Yeah, not talking about what I was talking about at all.

I was replying to a person that said MMOs should focus on endgame content and I asked if that is instances.

I asked that because apparently games like GW1, Neverwinter, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, etc, aren't MMORPGs since they don't have a shared Open World and it is all instances.

After reading forums for years, you should certainly know the answer.

"Content" is "what I want". If they're putting in lots of stuff, but not for you--they aren't putting anything in.

We see it from current players plenty often, too.

Very true.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Heh.  I played WoW for 5 years, maybe it's different now, but on all of the servers I played on, the experience of meeting people outside of cities was about the same as GW2.  WoW cities were packed, zones were practically empty.  A handful of people questing.  It's no different.  In fact, I see more people in zones in GW2 than I saw in WoW usually, just not late at night.

Gotta say, it's pretty pointless (to me) to go back to a game where other people in a zone are competition.  Once I enjoyed the tagless mob system of GW2, every other game fails to keep up.

Nice avatar though, 40k rocks!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by botrytis

On US server Tarnished Coast there are people EVERYWHERE. And it is very social, so I don;t know what you expect. If you aren't social beyond being forced to be grouped for dungeons, then NO game is social for you.

He refers to WoW as Social gaming.  I myself am proof it's not.  I played for nearly two years before really talking to anyone at all or joining a guild.  WoW never, ever encouraged you to talk to anyone.  Why should you?  Because if you join the person running around the same zone, he can't steal your mobs?  That's not a reason to socialize, that's a reason to be paranoid and feel forced to group.

I don't get the crafting hate.

I thought gw2s crafting was really good for a themepark. At least the stuff you craft is useful, no churning out a ton of junk you have to vend before you can make something semi useful that gets replaced by dungeon drops anyway.

I've seen better crafting, but that was in sandbox games like eve.

Compared to wow, gw2s crafting is good.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I don't get the crafting hate.

I thought gw2s crafting was really good for a themepark. At least the stuff you craft is useful, no churning out a ton of junk you have to vend before you can make something semi useful that gets replaced by dungeon drops anyway.

I've seen better crafting, but that was in sandbox games like eve.

Compared to wow, gw2s crafting is good.

They don't like it because you can't make money from it, since you can sell the materials for more than the cost of the item crafted.

At least until you can craft max level stuff.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Well that's like crafting in every other themepark.

At least you can wear the stuff you craft, or eat the food or whatever in gw2. No churning out 100 pairs of white quality chainmail boots just to vend them at a loss.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    OP,  GW2 is clearly thriving to spite you, doh. You should act like you don't care, that will show them!
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by botrytis

He refers to WoW as Social gaming.  I myself am proof it's not.  I played for nearly two years before really talking to anyone at all or joining a guild.  WoW never, ever encouraged you to talk to anyone.  Why should you?  Because if you join the person running around the same zone, he can't steal your mobs?  That's not a reason to socialize, that's a reason to be paranoid and feel forced to group.

You were playing it wrong... image   Most people would just group with that person and share the mobs.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?