Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP Servers?

TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
For those who enjoy open world PvP - Is this doable, why or why not?
Isaiah 41:10

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I think they're planning on having a designated area for it, but I wouldn't honestly expect much in the way of good PVP from Final Fantasy. 
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Talemire

Probably won't be open world PvP at launch, not saying it isn't doable in the future.  But Yoshi-P stated in this article http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/final-fantasy-xivs-yoshida-on-pvp-chocobos-and-mobile-apps/

^ that he didn't think ganking pvp formats fit FF style.

PvP has been confirmed via Coliseum and Grand Company designated warzone area, which the article cites as having increased risk for players.

These two systems to start with imo are a good basis for PvP to start from, i've always found the most enjoyable Pve/PvP balance when Pve is the focus, yet arena's like the coliseum and warzone designated areas are available for those who want to test their skills against other players/guilds.

I believe striking such a balance like WoW or say GW1 did allows not only a larger potential player base but a nice additional change of pace options for different types of gamers.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Also the PvP wont be some watered down PvP system. Yoshi-P was one of the best PvP players. I cant remember the MMO its a old MMO that people still talk about the how it was the best PvP ever.  I like the idea of Arena PvP people can watch also . Maybe even make bets , And Grand Company PvP might be like XIs attempt at PvP with Brenner 

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya
    Also the PvP wont be some watered down PvP system. Yoshi-P was one of the best PvP players. I cant remember the MMO its a old MMO that people still talk about the how it was the best PvP ever.  I like the idea of Arena PvP people can watch also . Maybe even make bets , And Grand Company PvP might be like XIs attempt at PvP with Brenner 

Exactly.

The abilties and effects have potential for very intriguing pvp at the least (Sleep effects, limit breaks, jumps, etc)

so that implementing it in a constrained, low-stress steady fashion is the best idea.

Balancing patches, pvp gear restrictions etc is inevitable but necessary for the opportunity for fun spectated matches amongst ones server or warzone skirmishes.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

I wish OP!

Maybe 1 day for now we have like the others have said.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya

I believe he was a big Dark Age of Camelot PVP player. Thats why there will be 3 faction PVP with the companies.

Yes that is it DAoC , He was one of the top PvP players in that game . SO he will make a great PvP style and system

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Never looked at a FF mmo tbh.
    ive played every FF game ever created on the console's tough ;)
    Now ive read that there might be PVP it flashes on my radar.

Going to check if i can find some vids on the tube, seen a dungeon and it dint look to bad ^^ it looked great ^^
    But ive also seen how SE fall off the mountain....FF13 i think it was ? bought it....and it broke my heart to see how bad this game was.
    Evrything was on rails :(

No open world, just a to b to c

Now that ive watched some footage my interest greatly increased :)
    If some of you guys have some vids to share please do so !

iam still waiting on my damn fracking FF7 remake !!!

Originally posted by Mothanos

Going to check if i can find some vids on the tube, seen a dungeon and it dint look to bad ^^ it looked great ^^
    But ive also seen how SE fall off the mountain....FF13 i think it was ? bought it....and it broke my heart to see how bad this game was.

No one can share videos because the game is in closed beta and there is a NDA on the game . You can go here http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCpx2BZg8ABgaDV50sGJtWAg and watch official videos . Maybe in June the NDA will be lifted and everyone not in beta can see the game on Youtube or streaming on Twitch

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by jskeets916

Probably won't be open world PvP at launch, not saying it isn't doable in the future.  But Yoshi-P stated in this article http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/final-fantasy-xivs-yoshida-on-pvp-chocobos-and-mobile-apps/

^ that he didn't think ganking pvp formats fit FF style.

PvP has been confirmed via Coliseum and Grand Company designated warzone area, which the article cites as having increased risk for players.

These two systems to start with imo are a good basis for PvP to start from, i've always found the most enjoyable Pve/PvP balance when Pve is the focus, yet arena's like the coliseum and warzone designated areas are available for those who want to test their skills against other players/guilds.

I believe striking such a balance like WoW or say GW1 did allows not only a larger potential player base but a nice additional change of pace options for different types of gamers.

I have no expectation for anything remotely resembling decent pvp to come from Final Fantasy.

Does anyone have video footage of "Colliseum and Grand Comany designated warzone areas" ?

It would be absolutely awesome if they directly ripped off some realm vs realm from DAOC. But it's just not something I have come to expect with this franchise. 

Wait and see.

• invizoinvizo Member Posts: 41

By taking a look at FFXI, its current pvp state, its map design and layout, its challenges when it comes to travel.

And then figuring FFXIV closely follows FFXI minus the interface.

Obviously it CANNOT work and never would work.  Just imagine the campers just chilling at crucial zone points where its narrowest and with heavy traffic.

• JakeBlackJakeBlack Member Posts: 8
    Ugh i hope this dont end up as PVP over PVE game. FF would be ruined.
  • UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Mothanos

How far did you even get? People complain so much about it being bad when it's not.

There is open world.  How much open world do you want to be when they are on the run and always split apart?

When everything gets settled there are plenty of side quests, hunts and open world.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    It's nice to see the activity on this thread, as it's definitely a topic to be discussed. I've noticed the responses are pretty split down the middle, which is understandable and predicted. However, that brings me back to my original question of (paraphrasing) "Would it be a good idea to suggest a PvE server (standard PvP ruleset) as well as a PvP server (standard plus open world PvP) for this game?" I know there are balance considerations and what not, but does SE have what it takes to smooth any rough edges? Clearly I'm not too familiar with the company and its products, other than the console (as one has even stated earlier), so I guess the question is more directed towards those who have played the older FFO games and those who have played a lot of other SE games. I like the development theory of trying to cater to as many as possible via options.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    FF and PVP do not mix. FF have always been about PVE. So if they add PVP it will be just an after thought.
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    FF and PVP do not mix. FF have always been about PVE. So if they add PVP it will be just an after thought.

What makes them not mix?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i often wonder where these people come from...its like they see mmo and assume "oh it must have pvp" w/no consideration of the IP or player expectations of that IP or even if the developers are capable of creating meaningful pvp.

oh well.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• VentlusVentlus Member Posts: 96

What makes them not mix?

they had pvp in FFXI but nobody really did it. So it really became like a lost concept even though its still in the game. I think its more so the type of people that play FF are normally for the content more so then pvp. And FF skills are very stationary and many of the common games that have the WoW movement concept is alot of turning and random casts, mele strikes etc which isn't like how FF mmo's have been thus far. however it could still have good pvp as GW 1 was great pvp without WoW's system. Though i prefer it to be in an area cause i hate open world pvp don't like being forced into random epeen battles if i don't have to.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Open world pvp in these types of games is stupid. 99% of it is just griefers ruining the experience for others.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Open world pvp in these types of games is stupid. 99% of it is just griefers ruining the experience for others.

Which is why I brought up the idea of a choice of servers.

Originally posted by Ventlus

What makes them not mix?

they had pvp in FFXI but nobody really did it. So it really became like a lost concept even though its still in the game. I think its more so the type of people that play FF are normally for the content more so then pvp. And FF skills are very stationary and many of the common games that have the WoW movement concept is alot of turning and random casts, mele strikes etc which isn't like how FF mmo's have been thus far. however it could still have good pvp as GW 1 was great pvp without WoW's system. Though i prefer it to be in an area cause i hate open world pvp don't like being forced into random epeen battles if i don't have to.

True, that makes sense - The audience the title draws in aren't really PvPers by nature. Legit answer, thanks. I could see it being odd for them and outside of their comfort zone of play.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    FFXIV is a PVE Centric game.  So if you want to PVP I would find a game like CU or GW1 for PVP.  What PVP they will have in FFXIX will be a side game and not something they spend time on balancing vs their PVE game.  
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

What makes them not mix?

FFXI, FFXIV were pure PVE MMOS. If you guys think that FE MMOS will be about quality PVP than i am telling you right now you will be disappointed. It is as unrealistic as expecting EQ MMOS to have amazing PVP. These games just do not attract that kind of players and have history deep rooted in PVE.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    There probably won't be PVP servers because the game isn't faction based like many of the other games out there with PVP specific servers.  This game is mostly PVE with a few PVP elements thrown in just to appease those people that want to take part in it.  PVP won't be central to the game though.