Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Neverwinter: On the Duplication Debacle

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last weekend was a rough one for Neverwinter developers and players alike as it was revealed that an exploit had essentially trashed the game's economy. In a new editorial, we take a look at the debacle and what it means for players. Read on and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

It was nice of Cryptic to laugh at themselves and provide the equivalent of a virtual T-Shirt that says, “I survived Caturday and all I got was this stupid shirt.” All sarcasm aside this mea culpa is a nice little freebie especially for the players that were not affected by the 7 hour rollback. For the people that were impacted by the 7 hour rollback it does not go far enough. Cryptic must answer individuals’ claims about lost merchandise during this 7 hour period. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's Neverwinter: On the Duplication Debacle.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Excellent Article and I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, the game is even worse than the issues you list.

For example, when you work hard to get to level 60 with enough glory to buy a set of full PvP armor, you will soon learn that the most important slot on the armor, i.e. the purple "armor enhancement slot" will cost you a TON to utilize. Not only do the 4 "enhancements" (not enchantments) have a 1% success rate to fuse into a purple, but the cost of a purple is hundreds of thousands of AD. And so is the cost to fuse it.

This game game was NOT designed to make money from the use of AD and Zen...NO...the game was designed first and formost to SUCK you DRY.

I am done with it, and by the way...PvP is horrid...despite being very good at PvP in this game, most matches have so many AFKrs, that there is hardly ever a balanced match.

Sometimes an entire team is AFK at the spawn site with hot keys automatically set to make them jump and not be disconected.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Still lots of issues with this game. And I'm a founder saying that.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Hand on heart the AH being down had zero impact on me, reason is I have yet to use it even at lvl 37, thats not to say it didn't impact others, but I do not thrive on the use of an AH, my focus is gameplay.

The 7hr Rollback though did affect me, but not to such a degree that I was going to throw all my toys out of the pram and start screaming at PWE, I shrugged, thought to myself I'd love to see some real action taken against the offenders and then continued on with my game.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    yeah, worse D&D game in recent history IMO.
  • intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98

You are right that their "rollback" is the politically correct way to say "wipe" or "reset". A lot of people lost a lot of legitimately obtained items and currency. They spent real world time on their characters only for Cryptic to say, "Your time was stolen by some dbag over here. We like you so much we will have to effectively make that time disappear as if you had never lived it because of a group of people. Have a good day". That displeased me to no end and I find myself playing less Neverwinter because of it.

Before the rollback, I had enough Astral Diamonds to buy a character respec. Now, I have to spend another 7-8 hours of dungeon delves to get items at the end of the runs to make those AD back. So, in essence, I lost the 7 hours of work they wiped plus whatever time it takes me to get those AD back. As you can see, the time they actually will take away from me is more than what they rolled back. To me, nothing is more important than time because it is one of the few things you can never, ever, get back.

• OrrionkaOrrionka Member Posts: 19
    Best reason so far not to spend money on a brand new game. You are paying for cheaters to break the game, with the non-cheaters left holding the proverbial bag.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I had planned on returning to the game casually, stopped playing after 3 days, just to level. After learning this had been going on for so long and the only action taken was a 7 hour roll-back that penalized everyone along with the "cash grab" mentality the whole "super themepark" that is Neverwinter is based on is enough to keep me away for good.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I gave up on PW games a couple years ago. Now when I see them putting out a new game I look forward to weeks of LMAO at their forums. It's been wonderful reading all their fails. I hope many more come up. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Excellent Article and I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, the game is even worse than the issues you list.

For example, when you work hard to get to level 60 with enough glory to buy a set of full PvP armor, you will soon learn that the most important slot on the armor, i.e. the purple "armor enhancement slot" will cost you a TON to utilize. Not only do the 4 "enhancements" (not enchantments) have a 1% success rate to fuse into a purple, but the cost of a purple is hundreds of thousands of AD. And so is the cost to fuse it.

This game game was NOT designed to make money from the use of AD and Zen...NO...the game was designed first and formost to SUCK you DRY.

I am done with it, and by the way...PvP is horrid...despite being very good at PvP in this game, most matches have so many AFKrs, that there is hardly ever a balanced match.

Sometimes an entire team is AFK at the spawn site with hot keys automatically set to make them jump and not be disconected.

Could not agree more.  They have to fix the pay-to-win aspect or this game will be a ghost town in the near future.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

One problem with the "hide behind beta" remarks, is that Cryptic has never done that! People keep saying this, but they have responded to server outage etc with a ferocity that matches if not exceeds any non beta title.

They may have said a couple times. This is why we have an open beta period to find these issues etc. But they have never said "Oh calm down its just beta." As far as customer service goes, they treat it as a launch product 100%. So stop claiming they are making excuses when they really are not.

Come on Grak you know better! =P

• IanDarkswordIanDarksword Member Posts: 1
    Been playing since "launch", April 30. So far its more a hack and slash fist fight than D&D. The gameplay is more like a console version of Diablo. It's fun, but I don't see much longevity. There are references to Forgotten Realms lore, but no actual D&D items (Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Manual of Bodily Health, etc.) Clerics are weak, rogues are super ninjas, monsters are ridiculously granted excessive hit points. I just have a difficult time tying D&D and this together.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Spent a ton of money on this game thought it would be good to play but when you have 2 of 5 classes worthless at end game your game is just broke. Plus, it is a huge money sink if you want to have anything good in the game or you just play 24/7 but not even I can do that and I could given my condition.

I gave up until they fix the classes!

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Spent a ton of money on this game thought it would be good to play but when you have 2 of 5 classes worthless at end game your game is just broke. Plus, it is a huge money sink if you want to have anything good in the game or you just play 24/7 but not even I can do that and I could given my condition.

I gave up until they fix the classes!

Isn't the answer to stop supporting studios that blatantly scam their customers with such an unfair payment model/cash shop?

But you already gave them a ton of money, so they'll see it as a success.  If they can trick even 1/10th of their players to do what you did they will turn a profit.  They don't even need to "launch" the game they should just go about making the next F2P cash grab.  Oh and they don't have to pay for you to be using server space anymore so its win-win

The future of MMO's right here (as it has been lauded on this site).

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

While the exploit isn't as bad as D3's Exploit and handling. D3 AH for US is completely destroyed. Prices have doubled on low end items and have gone up to even more ridiculous levels for the high end gear it is a big problem.  On there, a vast majority of things are on RMAH now after the dupe has ruined gold... which sadly is benefiting blizzard and makes me feel the reason they did no roll back was because of the money it was making... 

More could of been done though the economy isn't completely in shambles... granted thats looking at the 'good' side of things. Still, I feel it was done primarily to fix damages while trying to keep as much of their profits as possible. Its easy to see they are really trying to gouge at the consumer's wallet, which is a shame since its a fun game. Flawed as it might be, it can be fun.  They could of handled this exploit far better. 

Well, all we can do is refuse to pay for the game, still play it if you like it to show the game is good and voice out why people aren't paying and what needs to be done to make the game a better place. Hopefully someone will sense will realize they have a Gem and make it better rather then cash in on it.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351
    But you already gave them a ton of money, so they'll see it as a success.

Well I also gave the game a lot of money in the first 2 weeks, however I do feel like I got my monies worth for that time. I would have also continued to give the game money but I am now not going to for  various reasons that I'm not going to go into here.

Yes PWE/CRYPTIC will have gained a lot of money in the first 3-4 weeks of this game going into open beta, by players like me, but I can tell you this. Give it another 3-4 weeks and they will see how their income is actually decreasing from the players in the game along with player numbers. When that happens perhaps they will start to really address the many issues the game currently has. Until they do, players like me won't be giving them any more money.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Good article. I'm enjoying my time in NW and will not fall for the zen gambling cash grab that seems to be their revenue strategy.

I'll play the parts of the game that I can enjoy without shelling out an unreasonable amount of money and leave it at that. The game IS fun. I just refuse to buy "chance" items in any game.

• lmollealmollea Member UncommonPosts: 40

Sadly, I don't expect much from Cryptic. True I played their games, but mostly as a complete freeloader, as they don't have any lasting appeal nor any decent value whatsoever.

Champions was the first one and already was paramount of the company idea of what games and MMO should be. It was so much different from the City Of Heroes they abandoned that it showed enough of what the company was all about.

Lowering your expectation, Neverwinter is a nice romp. Sadly a game that don't compels you to shell out money for it. Sadly, as the Foundry idea is a nice one...

• KohleKohle Member Posts: 7
    I just started playing this game and I'm of the impression I should just quit now. It's been pretty decent so far up to level 10 but yeah, this outlook doesn't look all that great. Thanks for the info, I'll look into something else.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I don't understand these gaming sites anymore here , they give these game companies so much press that are known by far as the shadiest companies on the internet. Aerie Gpotato Webzen and perfect world are by far the shadiest companies on the net for games that thousands of players complain about their shady tactics. Yet they get tons of press time because they bought up some failing American company like cryptic and are treated as if they are triple A mmo companies when they are not. Anyone spending money in games like this deserve seriously to be ripped off because their checkered pasts here have proven time and time again they have no issues at all ripping off the consumer and providing next to nothing for customer service. The only difference now is they are letting their american devs talk about it with interviews for press time. These companies are the shady used cars salesmen of the internet and do not by any means deserve the press time they get on these sites.  Call me a hater but im seriously about sick of reading crap on this site and massively etc about these pay to win shady no customer service ripoff companies that get treated differently by our laws because they are from china and Korea.
  • KnavemareKnavemare Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Follow me to RIFT my friend (its all AMERICAN)
  • ScriptsScripts Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I am done with this game and will never play game associated with cryptic or perfect world. How this game is not on the list for the worst MMO's of 2013 is beyond me. If I had to choose between gouging out my eye with a spoon or logging into neverwinter again, I am asking for an eye-patch.
  • zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

”If Cryptic did wipe the servers they would have to refund every Zen that anyone has spent on the game. To do anything else would be criminal. Not literally but you get the idea."

IMO, If so, then yes literally, they have taken money but not provided the product (As far as I know, there are laws that cover this)!

I don't play it much, so was not affected by it yet, but most likely will be, if the economy does not correct its self!

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I quit playing and uninstalled the game after this fiasco.   A pity, because I was enjoying it up until all of this went down, but I don't have the time or energy to compete in a game with rampant inflation and there is no way that what happened didn't result in some pretty crazy inflation.  Everything I know about economics says it did, without a doubt.

I also lost what little faith I may have had in Cryptic and it will take a pretty revolutionary game from them to get me to ever even consider playing another of their games in the future.
  • EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Everything is too expensive. 6$ for a respec? No thank you.

Everything cost a ton of AD and crafting doesn't seem to be worth it. 

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    This is a great article. That's why it's so unfortunate you think Caturday falls on Sunday. It doesn't.