Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goldfarming, cancer or cure?

jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

You know, a lot of things in nature tend to repeat themselves and goldfarming is a lot like that also.  Everything has a parasite that also lives off of the life that it is connected to.  Dogs have fleas, cows have flies, deer have ticks, just about everyone has maggots, and the list goes on.  It's the circle of life actually.  Not to go too deep on you guys but, we are born full of life and all clean and stuff, and as we age different things attach themselves to us until ultimately we are consumed with disease and we perish.  Such is also the life of an MMO.  But just like us, MMO's can always be created again, newer, maybe even better than before.  Sure, like us, it won't be the same MMO, but it will still be an MMO. 

So is goldfarming really the cancer that we think it is?  Or is it the cure that allows so many player, who may not have the time, IQ, or balls to play alongside certain fanatical monstrosities who exist in almost every game?

Share your thoughts. (I'm at work, can you tell?)

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Companies don't really "farm" gold anymore. They hack/steal accounts and move money that way.  There's no bot account to be banned and no way to really stop them.

People who think they're making an honest transaction with a legit business are just fooling themselves. That gold you're buying was stolen from someone. But something to consider.... when you go out and buy gold from these people you're putting yourself on their radar. They now know your account name and they know you have money.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I wouldn't mind people buying gold from some less fortunate Chinese guys, but I do mind all the account-stealing and other criminal activities gold seller companies usually participate in.
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Goldfarming is a very much welcomed business for me.

I don't have the luxury of sitting in front of the pc 24/7 like some of the kids, unemployed, welfare leechers etc. I gotta go to work and I also have a life when I get home. So for me, the possibility of aquiring gold/credits through a swipe of my VISA card, is just wonderful.

Cash is King. In real life and the virtual ones.

• AbyeAbye Member Posts: 53
    Goldfarming is a symptom. Mindless timesinks with tradeable rewards attract businessmakers that have access to cheap RL labour.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    This site gets its fair share of analogies, but this one takes the pie.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I've got no problem with gold farming that's a player getting lots of gold and selling it or with people who buy gold.

I do have a problem with bots, because they take over content, and I do have a problem with account stealing.

Asdar

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

With item shop transactions being the new norm, I see little reason for dev/publishers to not sell gold (or items that can be sold for gold).

I'd rather support the game than some hack who steals accounts.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

Indeed gold farmers are not the problem they once were, the cash shop is now the gold farmer. It is an inside job these days, where thousands of Chinese gold farmers got replaced my the gaming companies financial manager. I guess it is keeping EU jobs in the EU and US jobs in the US so its win win!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by jesad
    You know, a lot of things in nature tend to repeat themselves and goldfarming is a lot like that also.  Everything has a parasite that also lives off of the life that it is connected to.  Dogs have fleas, cows have flies, deer have ticks, just about everyone has maggots, and the list goes on.  It's the circle of life actually.  Not to go too deep on you guys but, we are born full of life and all clean and stuff, and as we age different things attach themselves to us until ultimately we are consumed with disease and we perish.  Such is also the life of an MMO.  But just like us, MMO's can always be created again, newer, maybe even better than before.  Sure, like us, it won't be the same MMO, but it will still be an MMO. So is goldfarming really the cancer that we think it is?  Or is it the cure that allows so many player, who may not have the time, IQ, or balls to play alongside certain fanatical monstrosities who exist in almost every game?Share your thoughts. (I'm at work, can you tell?)

When humans are born, there's a good chance the mother is going to evacuate her bowels on the baby. Gross, right? Except babies that do not get a face full of poop have weaker immune systems and a harder time digesting food. It can affect the entire life of the new human. Sometimes getting pooped on is for the greater good.

Getting pooped on when you're a defenseless baby is better than having a tapeworm at any point in your life. If gold farmers are tapeworms, then getting pooped on as a defenseless baby is better than gold farmers.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69

Sorry to dissapoint you mate but alot of gamers have jobs aswell and have tons of gold without going to goldsellers. How they look at the market and sell what there is demand for. Goldsellers are a pest on the game economy and going to them is actually admitting defeat and showing you have no grasp of how the game works.

Good luck to ya.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Design the game to include the gold farmers if you can't get rid of them.  I have not seen a game yet that knows how to get rid of gold farmers without highly inconveniencing the players.  So make a trade AH for goldfarmers and players alike can trade game gold for irl cash.  MORE IMPORTANT - get rid of personal stalls and limit the auction house to no more than 3 digits so no one can sell anything for more than $999.  

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

You know, a lot of things in nature tend to repeat themselves and goldfarming is a lot like that also.  Everything has a parasite that also lives off of the life that it is connected to.  Dogs have fleas, cows have flies, deer have ticks, just about everyone has maggots, and the list goes on.  It's the circle of life actually.  Not to go too deep on you guys but, we are born full of life and all clean and stuff, and as we age different things attach themselves to us until ultimately we are consumed with disease and we perish.  Such is also the life of an MMO.  But just like us, MMO's can always be created again, newer, maybe even better than before.  Sure, like us, it won't be the same MMO, but it will still be an MMO. 

So is goldfarming really the cancer that we think it is?  Or is it the cure that allows so many player, who may not have the time, IQ, or balls to play alongside certain fanatical monstrosities who exist in almost every game?

Share your thoughts. (I'm at work, can you tell?)

I couldn't give a feck to be honest, i just get on with my own game. Do people spend that much time worrying about thieves or criminals in real life, nope i just get on with mine lol.

I've farmed gold loads of times in MMO's, not to sell it but to keep it for when i need things.

EQ is a key example of having to farm gold and their is nothing wrong with it IMO.

To many freaking busy body's who need to worry about their own game instead of trying to police mmo's lol.

I have a very well paid job but i don't use gold farmers, i would rather farm for myself. If someone else uses them then that's their freaking business, i don't give a feck what others spend their own money on.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Buying gold is like hiring someone to have sex with your wife so you can have a kid*...

*when you are both able to have kids

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Im ok with goldfarming. people who use that services usually end up getting hacked by them

and when they complain they got hacked, the devs investigate the issue, find out the gold transaction, and ban them without restoring their accounts.

so a goldfarmer's customers ends up losing the money for the game, the money  for the gold, the items/gold after the hack, and finally the account itself

goldfarming work as a force of nature. it helps with natural selection. the idiots that use goldfarming services get hacked and banned, the smart ones that shy away from it get to play the game without them

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

With item shop transactions being the new norm, I see little reason for dev/publishers to not sell gold (or items that can be sold for gold).

I'd rather support the game than some hack who steals accounts.

Admittedly, I haven't played a whole lot of free to play games with item malls. But the ones I have played have had the same gold seller spam as any other game.

While I dont mind the idea of someone trading a month of play time for in game currency or vice versa, I start to have a problem with once it is done on a larger scale. I dont really like that someone can mess with the balance of power by spending the equivalent of years of subscription fees in one go.

But I neither do I like it when a sports team buys all the biggest stars and basicly buy their way to victory instead of just augmenting their locally grown roster with a few stars. First of all I lose almost all attachment to my local team and it also loses its ties to the community. Next thing you know they are looking for a different city to host them.. That is if they dont go bankrupt.

In both cases it detracts from the game. At least in my opinion.

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    As has probably been stated many times. Every time you buy gold from third parties, you are stealing from the game company. That money could have fixed all those bugs you wanted fixed, but instead you chose to buy gold from some mindless hacker. It is the responsibility of the player to be on task and not deviate from the CONTRACT YOU [SIGNED] TO PLAY. You may as well have stolen the accounts yourself because you'd have done just as much damage that way as any other.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

So is goldfarming really the cancer that we think it is?

Yes. 

I don't offer you an argument, I just assert it as an axiom.  The entire concept of an in-game economy only makes sense to me if it's an in-game economy.  Whenever someone puts real money into in-game resources, they are killing a small part of my game.

Just because, in any game one attempts to make, there will always people who don't care about the game and just want the stuff does not mean it will ever be a good thing to me in any form.  There are no cures, only different ways to manage the disease.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    I read the title and thought is said "Goldfarming, cancer cure". One of those WTF moments. Funny what not seeing a little or does to a title. image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• EvilbytradeEvilbytrade Member Posts: 7

I think that WOW loves gold farmers and they don't care if they run bots or hack accounts.

As long as people buy gold they keep the monthly SUB going. Works great for WOW. What do you think why WOW has never added a report gold farmer or gold sellers option? You can report people for language, names and cheats but not for gold selling / farming. If they truly cared about them and would consider them negative they can simply implement an option of reporting a gold spammer / farmer and if a certain amount of complaints go in the account is banned until further notice.

Truth is WOW needs gold sellers to keep people spending money on their SUB. I have bought gold before many times. But I bought it from friends and guild members to make sure it is not from hacked account. When I bought it I was kind of oblivious to an economy on a game. I needed gold to raid / get gear / and a million other things.

I wouldn't buy gold again. Considering today most of the gold comes from hacks and stolen accounts I wouldn't want to burden anyone just so I can save some time. I did not buy gold because I am lazy but because I work rotating 12 hour shifts and MMO's are not my top priority, until today. I had a life and could not invest 30 hours a week to farm and make money to be where I should be if I wanted to participate in end game content.

On the other hand maybe there should be a larger variety of servers? PVP, PVE, RP, and maybe B2P? Anyone on this server has to B2P and so has no advantage over someone who works hard for it?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

With EVE I never needed to.

Any other MMO I refused on the grounds of Spam. They always hit the new players area, it's predatory and a nuisance.

Same here, it is just annoying. I report them for anything that pops up first just so I get to report them.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Design the game to include the gold farmers if you can't get rid of them.  I have not seen a game yet that knows how to get rid of gold farmers without highly inconveniencing the players. 

What are your thoughts on the various currency exchange systems like in GW2 (Gems to Gold)? What are the inconveniences you see in that design? To be clear, I realize there will always be gold farmers, but that seems to greatly diminish them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I was thinking if a new MMO would make an open market where everyone can sell their items or currency for real life money would be great. I am sure gold sellers would not be stopped but the price would drop to a low that it wouldn't be worth it for them anymore, at least I like to think so.

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Design the game to include the gold farmers if you can't get rid of them.  I have not seen a game yet that knows how to get rid of gold farmers without highly inconveniencing the players.  So make a trade AH for goldfarmers and players alike can trade game gold for irl cash.  MORE IMPORTANT - get rid of personal stalls and limit the auction house to no more than 3 digits so no one can sell anything for more than $999.  

the only game succesfull antigoldfarmer by design is Forsake World

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

It's a parallel cancer, a criminal solution to an oppressive economic system of gameplay.

Cost and equipment can be useful features of character development which add extra layers, but when acclimating wealth and equipment is so tedious and oppressive that your willing to pay additional money... beside what you pay to access the game, just to enjoy the game... well the game isn't enjoyable!, that part should be scaled back and corrected.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.