Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Ecol Tactics Online: Browser Candy

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ecol Browser is what we call an "in between game" for many reasons. We have played Ecol Tactics quite a bit recently and have some thoughts to share about how it fits in the MMO space. See why we call it 'browser candy' before heading to the comments.

The artwork and graphics are adorable in that JRPG/anime way. The look harkens back to some of the Japanese import platform games I had from back in the day; no camera control, always the same ¾ view from above, but it does the job. The attack animations are pretty good considering the limited nature of the 2-D rendering, and the music is bubbly and pleasant.

Read more of Lisa Jonte's Ecol Tactics Online: Browser Candy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Aesthetics 8/10?  It looks hideous.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by BrucyBonus

You should know by now that aesthetics are a matter of taste. There is no right or wrong.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by BizkitNL

You should know by now that aesthetics are a matter of taste. There is no right or wrong.

That is true within certain parameters, but ugly is always ugly. 

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Arc the Lad series, Shining Force series...the list goes on and on; all of these tactical battle games have visuals that are similar to Ecol. I think they made a conscious decision to hit us right in the tactical nostalgia.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

What exactly defines something as being "ugly", considering you are arguing for the term to be a fact?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

It.

Looks.

Beautiful!

Being the gigantic tactical RPG fan that I am, I might have to give this a go.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

As they say in lancashire, 'beauty's only skin deep but tha needs a pick 'n' shovel ta find it wi that game'

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

are adorable

Yup, just what we've been waiting for, more "adorable".

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Hordequester8Hordequester8 Member Posts: 54

If the gameplay is good, could be rusty paint buckets waddling around on the screen for all I care. Though, for the record, the game play is pretty much just a rehash of every other game on the market.

This hang-up on graphics is really kicking the gaming industry in the sac.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    aesthetics is not just pretty vs ugly, it is the general feel of the game as well. it can include gfx, music, general ambience, etc.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

I was hoping this would be the FFT fix I've wanted for a long time, but it just falls flat in every single way.

Maybe it would be better if it was a real game instead of a casual flash game, but it's too late for that..

*sigh*

• ZannypantsZannypants Member UncommonPosts: 13

Stubborn, narrow minded kid.

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

I was hoping it to be a single-character type of a game instead of a team-based. So basically more like Wakfu/Dofus. :/

Cheers.

• XandramasXandramas Member Posts: 73
    Cash shop? Pay to Win? Free to Play? No thanks. I'll pass. F2P are destroying mmorpg gaming.
  • maccajnrmaccajnr Member UncommonPosts: 84

Coyote Ugly was nothing but hideous. Again, just a matter of taste.

• arthenol366arthenol366 Member Posts: 4

Been playing this for a few hours now. This is sooo epic. And hilarious. The "snatching yo people up" reference was just perfect. I'd give a 6/10 for dialogue. Loses two point for some missing dialogue. I found one sentence missing but that's enough o lose two points for me. Graphics 9/10 honestly. I see that they hit the type of game on the spot, not just SRPG but a more cutsie anime style. Similar to disgaea when it went hd. Online play 4/10 not enough coopertiveness and i've seen only on person in game so far, maybe everyones at end game. :/ Storyline is 5/10 due to the fact that the story line is too unoriginal for me. It's one thing that by now nothing is original and another to have a standard mercenary storyline. Not storyline is seperate from dialouge as dialouge is mostly hilarious. 

So in review:

If you like tactics and moderate but not too demanding online play this is for you. 

If you like a 3D High Graphics FPSMMO, play Planetside 2. I do hear that is pretty good.