Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyer Beware

2»

Comments

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Name one company american or otherwise that took a released game offline and went back to the drawing board? EA gams blamed us when star wars failed, neverwinter is incomplete and barely playable without investing 50 to 100 bucks a week.

Square enix has proved they deserve some loyalty, that alone is reason enough for me to play this game.

Well, since you posed the challenge so broadly...

Aventurine took Darkfall offline and went back to the drawing board with Darkfall: Unholy Wars.

So, SE is one of very few. They're not the only one, though. And there may be others we're simply not aware of.

Please don't now come back with a list of qualifiers to move the goal post after the fact, or arbitrary disqualifiers to dismiss my answer. I hate when people do that.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by emperorhades1

Square Enix has been known to try to turn a quick buck, mislead and put out terrible games.  FFXIV failed the first go after being told in beta that the game sucked. 

The original roadmap for ARR put the downtime of servers and the transition from 1.0 to 2.0 to 3months, basically getting the original player base back in the game by March at the most, the game is now looking at pushing july/august before turning on the switch according to Yoshida at Nico Nico.  Granted things happen that are uncontrollable but this is a pretty big gap.

According to Yoshida the games combat was a driving factor in pushing the game back.  This is after admitting testers have only seen a small portion of the game.

In 1.0, I got the opportunity to test the game in beta.  The game was extremely unplayable and the forums were livid.  The white knights and the devs at the time were adamant that the beta was not representative of the game.  It was.

I am not saying this game is bad or good.  Please do not take this post that way. 

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAME until the nda is fully lifted and you can get a true preview from the media and players.

What? You have to do something more than one time to " been known to try to turn a quick buck, mislead and put out terrible games. " Some of the greatest game I have every played have been made by Square Enix.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Alls I can say is this.  People will either like the game or they will not like the game.  You all will get a chance to play FFXIV come open beta.  This is not any breaking news that people dont already know but if you are interested in the game try the open beta then choose if you want to continue or not.

Personally my problem with this game is 24 man raids and people think that large raids will work when well in every other MMO Small raids or no raids is the way to go.  

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

caveat emptor

It is so old its Latin.  So why are you posting this like its news? 

No offense but the way you go about this posting is as if FFXIV has wronged you in some way.  I'm sorry but you gotta let it go.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I have played a good part of the beta so far for ARR and I can say I went into it very watchful and examined much of it with a fine tooth comb.... to ... be very pleasantly surprised by how well it played mechanically, story line wise and pretty much on an overall scale. The performance was outstanding compared to any mmo on the market today and 400 times better than it's predecessor. 

We are still a good bit from the flood gates opening, but I can say as one who bought the unplayable version before and was hugely disappointed this one and it's team have plucked a rabbit out of the hat of despair!  I look forward to phase 3.

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Don't forget Enix part made dragon warrior/dragon quest another large,fun and successful series

• patience13patience13 Member UncommonPosts: 15

Ha! SE hasn't exactly produced the same level has they did before, but I'll say this:

If SE only produced games for a quick cash grab, we would have seen FFVII remade, Kingdom Hearts 10 would be out, and Final Fantasy Tactics would have 2 or 3 sequals.

So beware this OP...:P

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

Man, I've never seen someone get flamed so hard. If there was a rating system on this site, this guy would be down to zero. Honestly I don't understand the logic behind his post other than the fact the he knows nothing of the current game. Free trials for all original purchasers combined with a months worth of open beta completely avoids any "bad buys". Many posters have masterfully countered is warning argument and there is no need to beat a dead house, but let me add one other thing.

If SE was after money alone, with their re-release of FFXIV, they would have developed it for PS4 a system just around the corner. Instead they designed it for PS3. When asked why, the producers answer was... "Because we promised our fan base over 2 years ago that we would" That alone tells me the original poster is completely wrong. There is integrity behind SE and their choices. After their very long successful trak record I'm sure we can all forgive them for a few recent mistakes, especially after seeing the massive effort and money they are investing in making old promises good.

(They also plan to release it on PS4 Later)

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Urvan

Square Enix has been known to try to turn a quick buck, mislead and put out terrible games. 

I read this part and didn't want to read the rest, I consider this guy a troll.  Square Enix are creators of one of the greatest game series ever known to most of us gamers, Final Fantasy.  Whether you loved or hated certain ones in the series, everyone had their favourites no matter which one it was!  Not to mention the Star Ocean series, Dragon Quest series, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire series, Front Mission series and many many more..

Stating that Square Enix creates terrible games and misleads its fans to make a quick buck is utter nonsense! this company, or these two if you consider they are SquareSoft and EIDOS merged, have brought to us some of the most amazing games of our time!  Those of you who disagree and/or just want to troll like he is by calling me stuff like fanboy can go suck it as far as I'm concerned cus damn right I am a fan of this company.

If you ask me alot of you are ungrateful spoiled brats who are the ones ruining the games of this era!  Stop ya damn whining and bitching and actually learn to enjoy a good game!

Breath of Fire was made by Capcom. Too bad Capcom has no intention of bringing it back.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Urvan

Square Enix has been known to try to turn a quick buck, mislead and put out terrible games. 

I read this part and didn't want to read the rest, I consider this guy a troll.  Square Enix are creators of one of the greatest game series ever known to most of us gamers, Final Fantasy.  Whether you loved or hated certain ones in the series, everyone had their favourites no matter which one it was!  Not to mention the Star Ocean series, Dragon Quest series, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire series, Front Mission series and many many more..

Stating that Square Enix creates terrible games and misleads its fans to make a quick buck is utter nonsense! this company, or these two if you consider they are SquareSoft and EIDOS merged, have brought to us some of the most amazing games of our time!  Those of you who disagree and/or just want to troll like he is by calling me stuff like fanboy can go suck it as far as I'm concerned cus damn right I am a fan of this company.

If you ask me alot of you are ungrateful spoiled brats who are the ones ruining the games of this era!  Stop ya damn whining and bitching and actually learn to enjoy a good game!

stop just please stop, that merger was the worst thing that ever happened, the games squaresoft put out before the merger where some of the best games i have ever played to even compare it to the garbage that came after that merger and the percentage of squaresoft employees where downsized in, is damn near herasay in my book, square soft and square enix are two entirely diffrent companies and giveing squareenix credit for the great things square soft did is completly unacceptable.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    If they were looking to turn a quick buck, there are plenty of other ways to do it. Either way, its basically something that can be said about virtually any game out there.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

OP must have played only 1 FF game ever or he would have known that Sqaure Enix made the worlds best and longest RPG games in the world ?
    Sure a heads up is ok OP, but to say SE is a money grabbing wolf like blizzard ?....come on now m8 thats stretching it.

I have never seen a studio admitting defeat - kicking devs out - recruit fresh blood and rebuild an mmo from scatch becuase the players wher disapointed.
    Name me one studio who has ever done this ?

Offcourse i and many others are skeptical, i dint like FF13 one bit, dint even bother with FF14 V.1.0
    But FF14 ARR seems to be shaping up in a very positive way.
    Cant wait for when they ditch the NDA and let players show on the Tube how good or bad it may be :)

Also you cannot even buy the game or spend money on it, they learned from their mistakes, and it seems The guy in lead does evrything in his power to set the record straight and regain the faith of all those final fantasy players back.

That shows me 1 thing.....that guy cares.
    if it will be my mmo taste will remain to be seen, but thats personal stuff.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

I'm not sure about that 'quick buck' statement.

Ignoring that, I have been somewhat skeptical of the FF series after FFX. Even more so after FFXI.  FFXI was a complete turn off when I found out they were merging our servers with the Japanese ones.  Terrible decision.

When I saw the game play/shots of FFXIV, i almost hurled out of disgust. Never even bought it, despite how much of a fan I am of the FF series.

ARR looks promising, but I wouldn't buy it based on past experiences with this company and its involvement in MMORPG's. However, I am glad to hear that there 'will' be an open beta and it seems that people (In the same boat as me), have a lot more faith in their current actions (Which is great to hear). I'll be playing the Open Beta, skeptically.

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

It's not your typical random Korean mmo #42302819.

From what they've shown it is a vast improvement over 1.0.             

If you even followed it you would know the team they have on it now was working on 11 and they had a completely different team. 1.0 was too much like 11 weather thats good or bad. It had plenty of content added in until it was shut down for a reboot.

Everything they were adding was to test out for 2.0.  You won't regret buying this game. People like to be high and mighty while riding bandwagon. Get an opinion for yourself. Follow whats being posted on their official site and read the letters from the producer. More should be shown off may 30th and what ever else they have planned for E3.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by patience13

Ha! SE hasn't exactly produced the same level has they did before, but I'll say this:

If SE only produced games for a quick cash grab, we would have seen FFVII remade, Kingdom Hearts 10 would be out, and Final Fantasy Tactics would have 2 or 3 sequals.

So beware this OP...:P

Yep.

If SE was really all about the cash they would have made FFVII remake and FFVII:2 and FFVII:2.1 and FFVII:2.2 etc. etc. and been able to wipe their collective asses with million dollar bills.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Dunno if anyone has said this, but if i rememer right, they said if you bought ff14 in the past then v2.0 will be a free download. Just hafta have a monthly sub.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is called LISTENING to FEEDBACK.you know that line that so many devs claim to be doing but don't really do it?

The developer has to lay out ideas,which Square does and shares with the players.Then you have to take feedback to see if it is acceptable,seriously ,when is the last time you ever seen a developer do that,EVER.Square is the first ever developer i have seen to do what they are doing.

Personally i find Square to be the most organized developer going,they lay out a full years worth of content ideas and where the game is going,other devs have no clue where they are going.I have also never seen any indication that Square does not do what they say they will do and within the time line.

You know why those other developers keep secrets?They don't have any definitive plans,they wing it as they go.You ask a developer a question and it is "we are thinking about it" "we are tweaking it" "it is under consideration",Square doesn't play BS with you,they tell you exactly what they are doing and what is under consideration.

Name one single developer who has told you their agenda for the next month ,let alone year?The ONLY thing i ever hear is ,we are working on bugs and fixes before moving on.I am quite sure everyone realizes you don't use  your  whole TEAM to work on bugs/fixes.Another famous line is "We are working on the next content".No specifics because that usually means just more maps and quests, not much to talk about there is there?

Trust me if all developers put the kind of effort into their games as Square does ,there would be a lot more happy gamer's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Wizardry

It is called LISTENING to FEEDBACK.you know that line that so many devs claim to be doing but don't really do it?

The developer has to lay out ideas,which Square does and shares with the players.Then you have to take feedback to see if it is acceptable,seriously ,when is the last time you ever seen a developer do that,EVER.Square is the first ever developer i have seen to do what they are doing.

Personally i find Square to be the most organized developer going,they lay out a full years worth of content ideas and where the game is going,other devs have no clue where they are going.I have also never seen any indication that Square does not do what they say they will do and within the time line.

You know why those other developers keep secrets?They don't have any definitive plans,they wing it as they go.You ask a developer a question and it is "we are thinking about it" "we are tweaking it" "it is under consideration",Square doesn't play BS with you,they tell you exactly what they are doing and what is under consideration.

Name one single developer who has told you their agenda for the next month ,let alone year?The ONLY thing i ever hear is ,we are working on bugs and fixes before moving on.I am quite sure everyone realizes you don't use  your  whole TEAM to work on bugs/fixes.Another famous line is "We are working on the next content".No specifics because that usually means just more maps and quests, not much to talk about there is there?

Trust me if all developers put the kind of effort into their games as Square does ,there would be a lot more happy gamer's.

Very well said, I feel the same way. Name one producer besides Yoshida that makes a Live letter series giving you in depth lowdown of the game. Not only that but each video is over an hour long.

Age of Conan has also made this a standard practice. Unfortunately they don't always come through with the promises or in the promised timeline. But they too, try to do a monthly letter as well as regular 1.5 hour interviews. Good to see other companies doing the same

• emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310

This thread has got a lot of responses since I left it.  Yes, I stand firmly around my post about buyer beware.  At the time the original post was made, Square had stated they would  be opening pre-orders prior to lifting the NDA to beta testers and they have.  Again, I can not state whether Yoshi will follow through.  I cannot say whether or not after seeing only a small amount of the game (I was in alpha and beta) that all the promised changes have been made.  I would caution preordering on a promise, and not actually seeing the end result. 

The post was about being cautious when throwing money at a game that is built on undelivered promises.  However some will tear it apart and pick on pieces instead of the statement.  Yes, I have played all of the final fantasy games.  Yes, I believe they haven't produced a good game in the series since final fantasy x, with the exception of tactics, and yes, they have mislead customers before.  I am not going to say they are the worst company for it, but I did get stung more than once. 

Thanks for reading and again this is not to create negativity, I still think it has the potential for being the best game that this year will bring, but until I see proof, I will not be going all out and buying all the extras for my account.  Obviously as some have stated you have your own opinions and free will.  My suggestion would be to wait for beta 3 feedback or better yet a chance to play yourself.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Wanted it, already Pre-Ordered.