Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge Going F2P In South Korea

AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/05/archeage-reports-claim-korean-server-to-announce-f2p-change/

http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=2626&l=560

According to foreign reports, XLGAMES is ready to announce a full conversion to a Free-to-Play model for the Korean server in June. The Korean server is currently on a Pay-to-Play (P2P) model, with the China and English servers’ models unconfirmed still.

The reports claim that while ArcheAge is a consistent title in the top 5 rankings of games played in Korea’s internet cafes (or PC bangs), its overall market share is still unable to topple rivals such as Aion and Blade & Soul. The game is also finding it tough to break into the top 10 games for overall market share.

Posted as a rumor at MMOCulture... but considering the original source came from Inven... chances are that XLGames are going to make the switch in June. I hope TRION decides to make the game B2P over here. I would really love to get a collector's edition of the game if possible.

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

With RIFT going F2P in the US, I doubt they'd debut AA as B2P or P2P.

Really, really hard for any P2P to survive these days...

Are Aion and B&S F2P in SK?

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Considering that western MMO's don't typically do well in Korea, this may indicate that the game is tuned towards a more western gaming mindset and could end up being quite well received in the US and EU.

• romelloromello Member Posts: 34
    f2p is the most shady business model, which also makes the most moneys anyway

hallo ~_~

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I love f2p it exploits the greedy and the impatient.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Whatever happened to 'i will play 50 bucks a month if a MMO is as good as AA'? image
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

At this time I believe that any mmo launching in NA/EU need's to either be btp or ftp.If a game launch's ptp in those territories,I believe they're signing the game's deathwish.As in losing major people the 1st 3-4 month's and being forced to ftp.

With the recent success of heavy to moderate btp/ftp hits,I think we can see where this is going for the short term atleast.GW2/TSW/Swtor/AoW/Tera/Neverwinter and Rift are some moderate to big competition for games like Wildstar/TESO/AA and so on.Any of those 3 going ptp would be disastrous imo.

The market may very change,but for the near future I see btp/ftp as the only viable choices.Not saying I don't want ptp,just where the market look's to be atm.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Yeah it seems next to impossible. I remember there were still about a dozen games still using the P2P business model towards the end of 2011 (games released post 2006 for the Western market). Now I think it is down to only 2-3 games. Only a handful of NCSoft games are P2P over in South Korea. The only game still using the P2P business model post 2010 is Blade & Soul at the moment; in South Korea.

http://en.thisisgame.com/2013/01/08/archeage-choose-a-hybrid-payment-method

From this list it didn't seem that ArcheAge would have to worry about competition but I guess it isn't doing so hot.

http://2p.com/50f3b059c01dc5968dc16fe3_1/List-of-Korean-MMORPG-in-2013.htm

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

On the contrary my friend...

Rift could of went F2P because they knew they were going to do a subscription model for AA... just a thought

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Whatever happened to 'i will play 50 bucks a month if a MMO is as good as AA'? image

I'm here, and willing :D I'd rather pay a sub......maybe just not 50$ though lol

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

Aion and B&S are P2P in SK.  I am 95% sure even Lineage 1 and Lineage 2 are P2P in SK.  Basically all NCSoft MMOs in SK are P2P.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

If it is F2P in Korea and doesn't launch in the US/rest of the world as F2P I can see that hurting sale because people (like me for example) will just wait around for it to go F2P.

Personally, I'm a bit over subscription games and recently cancelled all of my subscriptions and I'm preferring B2P (GW2 and TSW) and F2P (Neverwinter, Planetside 2) games.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Considering that western MMO's don't typically do well in Korea, this may indicate that the game is tuned towards a more western gaming mindset and could end up being quite well received in the US and EU.

I really hope so, also I'd be very happy for it to be F2P here. :)

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

If they go F2P, hopefully they will stick to Aion's Truly F2P model.  Although, I think I would prefer B2P to help curb cheaters and spammers.

Cheaters / Spammers will never go away, but at least if an account gets banned there is some form of monetary loss with B2P.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

If they make it B2p. I wont play it, simple as that. I'm not throwing 50-60$ digital box money at any developer. 

B2P w/o trial = scam.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98
    ....crap

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

So blaa blaa blaa, the game is doing good as a box and sub game but the publisher can ring even MORE money out of players as a F2P.  So tell me something I don't know.

Another nail in the coffin for hardcore gamers while the casuals and tire-kickers cheer!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Good news!  Lets hope for f2p in NA and maybe I'll try it then.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by General-Zod

Originally posted by BadSpock With RIFT going F2P in the US, I doubt they'd debut AA as B2P or P2P. Really, really hard for any P2P to survive these days... Are Aion and B&S F2P in SK?
    On the contrary my friend... Rift could of went F2P because they knew they were going to do a subscription model for AA... just a thought

Rift went f2p because soon TESO and Wildstar will be releasing and pulling players away from them so they need to fill in the void. No way to compete with them if Rift still was sub only.

I prefer sub only games myself, to avoid the give me everything free crowd.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by General-Zod

On the contrary my friend...

Rift could of went F2P because they knew they were going to do a subscription model for AA... just a thought

Rift went f2p because it is the last attempt to redeem the population lost. It was either that or shut down the servers.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Good news
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I hope Trion knows they need to ip block Brazil.
  • BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    So it's still sub based in North Korea? That hardly seems fair.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by BarelyEin
    So it's still sub based in North Korea? That hardly seems fair.

i dont think north koreans get to play games. 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

I dunno, that is the exact same thing that people were saying about TERA when it started to lose popularity in the East before launching here.  I'm not saying the same thing will happen here with Archage, I'm just saying there were people saying word for word about Tera what you just said about Archeage.

• SygrisSygris Member Posts: 26

it looks like archeage won't be going f2p, but instead will add a "demo" version, something like the starter edition in wow.