Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic ... in the shitter

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Star Wars: The cash shop republic.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Yes, yes they announced just under 500k subs but that doesn't mean SWTOR is doing fine. To me it says that sales of Makeb were respectable.

Think of Makeb as $25 with 30 days included time however and what you get is a game with less than 200k subscribers pre-Makeb and shrinking F2P activity - because that is what happens to F2P games. 

Now if EA announce another 500k subscriber number - at the end of May, or in June or during their next quarterly results - that would be good. Until then 500k is the new 1.7M - many of whom are in their 30 days included.

IF EA were serious about supporting SWTOR then they would have put money behind it. We would know that:: 

2.2 in QA, testing and any final coding.

2.3 would have been announced and would be in coding, final artwork and initial testing.

2.4 would have been announced and would be in script writing, story boarding, initial art-work and maybe initial coding.

2.5 would have been mentioned and would be in outline development.

etc.

This is what other companies do. SoE with SWG is just one example. The developers maintain a narrative with the playerbase.

EA's utterances at the moment almost sound like they should start with the words: "if the game doesn't close tomorrow".

• BjarkaBjarka Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Yes, yes they announced just under 500k subs but that doesn't mean SWTOR is doing fine. To me it says that sales of Makeb were respectable.

Think of Makeb as $25 with 30 days included time however and what you get is a game with less than 200k subscribers pre-Makeb and shrinking F2P activity - because that is what happens to F2P games. 

Now if EA announce another 500k subscriber number - at the end of May, or in June or during their next quarterly results - that would be good. Until then 500k is the new 1.7M - many of whom are in their 30 days included.

IF EA were serious about supporting SWTOR then they would have put money behind it. We would know that:: 

2.2 in QA, testing and any final coding.

2.3 would have been announced and would be in coding, final artwork and initial testing.

2.4 would have been announced and would be in script writing, story boarding, initial art-work and maybe initial coding.

2.5 would have been mentioned and would be in outline development.

etc.

This is what other companies do. SoE with SWG is just one example. The developers maintain a narrative with the playerbase.

EA's utterances at the moment almost sound like they should start with the words: "if the game doesn't close tomorrow".

Regarding part one of your statement: We will just have to wait and see won't we? But other than that - I think the game is doing quite well.

Regarding part two: They have given the date of june 11 as the date for Game Update 2.2. They also said that this Game Update is CONTENT ONLY, no Cartel market stuff.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by simplius

and it doesnt help them , that STO have actually delivered on some of their promises

their expansion is quite enjoyable,,and really FREE

Ummmmmm, no you didn't! Did you really just say SWTOR == STO? Like SW Fans == ST Fans? Wow! I don't know if there are two separate yet equally hateful groups of fans of one another. I'm in such disbelief that I don't even know if that last sentence made any sense. You may as well have said, "It's ok if Religion A doesn't have a church in your area, just go to Religion B's church, they're all the same." 

Just sayin.....

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well in the mind of someone normal, 500,000 subs is doing pretty goodIn the mind of an EA exec who thought they were going to make the new wow, its a failure.

true but who gives a shit how much money EA makes? i know i sure as hell don't.

you also have to remember that SWTOR makes a lot of cash from their cartel market as well, not just from subs alone.

people (like me) enjoy SWTOR for what it is. if i wasn't such a fan of alt making and the stories, i may not play it at all.

it at the very least gives me something to play while waiting for TESO and EQN :)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by gervaise1
    Yes, yes they announced just under 500k subs but that doesn't mean SWTOR is doing fine. To me it says that sales of Makeb were respectable.Think of Makeb as $25 with 30 days included time however and what you get is a game with less than 200k subscribers pre-Makeb and shrinking F2P activity - because that is what happens to F2P games. Now if EA announce another 500k subscriber number - at the end of May, or in June or during their next quarterly results - that would be good. Until then 500k is the new 1.7M - many of whom are in their 30 days included. IF EA were serious about supporting SWTOR then they would have put money behind it. We would know that:: 2.2 in QA, testing and any final coding.2.3 would have been announced and would be in coding, final artwork and initial testing.2.4 would have been announced and would be in script writing, story boarding, initial art-work and maybe initial coding.2.5 would have been mentioned and would be in outline development.etc.This is what other companies do. SoE with SWG is just one example. The developers maintain a narrative with the playerbase.EA's utterances at the moment almost sound like they should start with the words: "if the game doesn't close tomorrow". 

compared to other mmo's not named wow it is doing just fine.

whats funny to me is when people that are so worried about how much money they are making from subs almost always ignore the amount of money they make with the cartel market, which is A LOT.

love it or hate it this game is making money and not going anywhere any time soon.

i can see TESO possibly putting a serious hurting on it though when it launches.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by superniceguy
    2.1 certainly made subbers revolt. I looked at the official forums on the weekend and it was full of rage against the 2.1 update, with "EA lied to us" , "Cartel market being a RIPOFF", a bunch of threads complaining about the cartel market, and some threads of subbers having enough and quitting. Resulting in EA having to respond

Hey folks,I will just be as honest as I can here, it was a poor choice in wording on our part. I know that players have made decisions around whether to remain a subscriber based on those words which makes it all that much more sensitive. I apologize if you feel that you were misled by what we said in that blog. Since this blog I feel we have been more consistent in our messaging that you can expect things like cosmetic and convenience features (like Appearance Designer) are the types of things we usually place on the Cartel Market.It has always been our plan that as new content is released,(such as Flashpoints, Operations, in-game events, daily hubs, etc.) that subscribers will get access to these pieces of content. This is unlike a free-2-play player who will need to purchase access to that content. This is why we stated subscribers gained "unlimited" access to that content, because you get that as a part of your subscription.For Cartel Market items, you have access to purchase all of them, as do F2P players. What sets you folks apart is your monthly stipend which will allow you to purchase those features at no additional cost should you choose. I realize with your stipend, and with all the features we have, you may not be able to get it all at once but you can get it in time as a subscriber.With that being said we have definitely heard your frustrations around Game Updates and the value you feel as a subscriber. I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way.-eric

The 2.1 update mainly negatively affects subbers - people are just getting fed up. Also those who can post are subbers

SWTOR is certainly in a very sad state, and Makeb was its last bright point.

a sad state as being one of the most popular and money making mmo's in the west lol

also, don't lump all subscribers into one entity, most actually didn't "revolt" and when i say most i mean the very vast majority did not.

just because some people are unhappy with the patch doesn't mean all are un happy.

the only thing about it that truly pisses me off is the fact that subscribers still need to purchase the cathar unlock, that is truly BS IMO

but hey that's EA for ya!

i still think its a decent mmo that many many people enjoy, even if you don't.

If it was just me, then I do not see BW making this statement, just for me, or a few unhappy subbers. No, they could see the many many complaints, and the rise in cancellations.

The game was better before F2P, and the Cartel Market. Take away the CM and it was somewhat respectable, now it is just a farce.

If the Cathar unlock annoys you, imagine what it does to those not so deeply involved with the game?

Like I said, people may still carry on even if they unsub, by not spending one more penny on the game.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

and it doesnt help them , that STO have actually delivered on some of their promises

Ummmmmm, no you didn't! Did you really just say SWTOR == STO? Like SW Fans == ST Fans? Wow! I don't know if there are two separate yet equally hateful groups of fans of one another. I'm in such disbelief that I don't even know if that last sentence made any sense. You may as well have said, "It's ok if Religion A doesn't have a church in your area, just go to Religion B's church, they're all the same." 

Just sayin.....

this is about games,,not religion, but i know its hard for some people to spot the difference

i like both IPs, , if you dont, then nobody is forcing you to

and just for the record: you dont need ANY churches, or whatever, to practice a religion

all you need is yourself, and some time to spend on it

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by JerYnkFan
    Yay another SWTOR sucks thread!  While I agree that some of the F2P restrictions are awful, do we really need another one of these TOR is dying, EA is horrible threads?

yes we do , the customer is king

soon, we have gathered enough haters to start our own country

as Mussolini started the march to rome, we shall march to bioware ,Austin

and 1.5 mio angry star wars fans is no joke,,EAware is realizing that now

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by sexypanda198
    Time for disney to make star wars galaxies 2. Pre-cu sandbox like mmo with modern graphics that don't look like cartoon/cell shade. more like guild wars or something.

i doubt that will happen.

While many people have great memories of SWG pre-NGE the truth is the game was bleeding subs ner the end there.

Not to defend SW:Tor or Bioware/EA as i have to admit their F2P model is not what it could/should bebut  the truth is NOTHING is really free. The money to make, and maintain the game has to come from somewhere.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Just sayin.....

this is about games,,not religion, but i know its hard for some people to spot the difference

i like both IPs, , if you dont, then nobody is forcing you to

and just for the record: you dont need ANY churches, or whatever, to practice a religion

all you need is yourself, and some time to spend on it

Well said!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Yeah things look pretty grim over there. Subs are up and they're making more money now than at launch. It's probably time they started looking for new jobs.

Well said. I am enjoying the game again.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Ahh, now this brings me back to my youth when arguments would break out at school when faced with this quandary:

Star Wars vs. Star Trek  image

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    EA, in the shitter.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

swtor isn't in the shitter at least for another 2 years or so. The reason is they are capitalizing on their leveling and story aspect.

The reason they are doing better is they limit the player so much that it's a huge benefit to get a sub + cartel coins. Someone new who just started the game will think it is great. They'll drop 15$ on a sub, and 25$ on some coins. THey'll probably drop another 15-25$ on coins while leveling. 

The zones in swtor from levels 1-40 are full of people. Get to end game and it's pretty empty and incredibly hard to find groups/raids. It's also like a 5 guild competition for warzones. Swtor is successful with their leveling journey. It has absolutely zero staying power. THey know this, which is why almost everything is cartel, it sucks the new player into spending some dough early.

I still think it's worth 40 bucks or so to get some coins and play it for a couple months. i just think it's garbage after max level.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I'm sure between you and superniceguy, someday your constant bashing posts for a game you hate so much will get it shutdown...

So in honor of this I'm going to go and point out to all those who play NW and CO why the're all wrong and their game is shit...because clearly they need to hear my opinion on this.....again.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Demmi77

swtor isn't in the shitter at least for another 2 years or so. The reason is they are capitalizing on their leveling and story aspect.

The reason they are doing better is they limit the player so much that it's a huge benefit to get a sub + cartel coins. Someone new who just started the game will think it is great. They'll drop 15$ on a sub, and 25$ on some coins. THey'll probably drop another 15-25$ on coins while leveling. 

The zones in swtor from levels 1-40 are full of people. Get to end game and it's pretty empty and incredibly hard to find groups/raids. It's also like a 5 guild competition for warzones. Swtor is successful with their leveling journey. It has absolutely zero staying power. THey know this, which is why almost everything is cartel, it sucks the new player into spending some dough early.

I still think it's worth 40 bucks or so to get some coins and play it for a couple months. i just think it's garbage after max level.

I think the thread is more aiming at the launch of patch 2.1 more than an overall view of the game, as subbers are feeling their sub is not worth it, and made BW make this statement

BW have stated that people have been cancelling their subs following 2.1 "I know that players have made decisions around whether to remain a subscriber based on those words which makes it all that much more sensitive"

Basically people feel that they are paying $15 and the 500 CC grant is not enough to get the stuff in the updates. EA/BW say you can get the stuff by staying subbed and accumulating more CC, but then more stuff comes, and the stuff is not worth adequate enough to keep people subbed. The game needs more gameplay content.

Following 2.1, the game is currently "in the shitter" but all depends on if BW actually listen and DO something about it "With that being said we have definitely heard your frustrations around Game Updates and the value you feel as a subscriber. I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way." Only time will tell if they act on this and get out of "the shitter"

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Karteli

This isn't a love thread or a hate thread.  Just a thread as it stands.

Patch 2.1 just hit, and .. oh! What a whopper that was.

Cash shop items galore.  Even a new race, the Cathar.  Plus so many extra's!

SWTOR seems like it is somewhat losing luster amongst fans.

If I were to say one thing that SWTOR had other games didn't, it was class stories, but even MaKeb FUBARED that up.

Cartel Market!  Oh what a blessing to the Star Wars Universe!

Great game, it's F2P !!

Riiiiight...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Slampig

If I were to say one thing that SWTOR had other games didn't, it was class stories, but even MaKeb FUBARED that up.

Great game, it's F2P !!

Riiiiight...

Exactly lol. As soon as I see certain posters in the Original Post, I don't even have to read the content to know the conclusion lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Lets see if I can recap this right

SWTOR haters -> SEEE the game sucks They announced that it did not live up to EVERYONES expectations. This means my opinions are right and you should all believe me!!! ohh but the title of this isn't meant to troll everyone into a SWTOR fight

This is something I've been saying all the time: You can be right all you want. I do not care if you ever play SWTOR. I do not care if you think SWG was the best thing since sliced bread. I do not go into the SWG galaxies forum and point out repeatedly that the game is 6 feet under and you all need to get lives. Quit living in the past. SWG sucked you know it, you all state "it sucked after the change" Well guess what, games change. Since it changed, and it sucked that == the game sucked! Game sucked SOOOOOO bad, it died!!!

Now I know those of us who play SWTOR for what it is, for why we like it, and play it how we WANT to play it, we do not care about earning calls from EA. That is your pathetic attempt at trying to prove your opinion, but hey, you are entitled to your opinion.

And so am I

SWG sucked bad!

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Bjarka
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Millions of happy FREE players, with unhappy subscribers.

I guess the non CM updates are not enough. With BW responding, the amount of cancellations must be huge, as people moan about the game plenty without them saying anything.

People who cancel may still play but not pay anything, but millions and millions of people playing for FREE and not spending enough will not keep the game running, but a few thousand subbers might but now they seem to be losing these.

SWTOR has just under 500 000 SUBSCRIBERS! Not just a few thousands...

The action in the starter areas suggest a constant influx of players oc old players lvl new toons - action anyhow.

SWTOR are doing fine...a 1000 subscribers who un-sub isn't the end of the game even if the ego of them would think so. :P

Lots of F2P-players spend money on cartel coins and I bet a lot of them transition from F2P to being subscribers.

The doom-talk about SWTOR has been consistent since launch (True, the lost a lot of subscribers and went F2P) - but the game i sthiving sub-wise and player-wise.

Just under 500k sounds better than less than 500k, but more than zero.

When EA used that massive range of 500k-1M in their earlier earnings call last year, some white knighters flocked to the high end of the spectrum too, neglecting the possibility that it had just above 500k and nowhere near 1 million.

Without hard numbers being released, 50k subscribers is just as likely as 400k.  EA is a master of manipulation though.

If you would actually play the game you would know that the game is in very good shape right now. My guild is more active right now than ever, people coming back and having fun, I guess all other MMOs disappoint. SWTOR stands up as one of the best, no question about it. Based on amount of stuff you can buy in GTN from cash shop, it's working better than fine. Started zones bust with players, Makeb has plenty of people.

Update 2.1 though it brought just CC items, brought stuff players asked for, like character name change, legacy name change, Customization kiosk. Long hair for human females and.... males :) I absolutely love it....

imageimage

Brought also ability to look like Princess Leia... awesome:)

imageimage

Soon we are going to have update 2.2 and more updates will be coming.

SWTOR is doing great and no matter how much you want it to fail, it's not going to happen.

I guess you must be really pissed off because EA got exclusive SW deal and there will be no other SW MMO in the foreseable future. At least not made by anyone else but EA.

Sorry for that, but that's reality and we have to live with it.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Great game, it's F2P !!

The real content update is coming on june 11, i mean we got 2 uptades in less than 8 week. Stop crying. 

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by baphamet

Or

compared to other mmo's not named wow it is doing just fine.

whats funny to me is when people that are so worried about how much money they are making from subs almost always ignore the amount of money they make with the cartel market, which is A LOT.

love it or hate it this game is making money and not going anywhere any time soon.

i can see TESO possibly putting a serious hurting on it though when it launches.

Medieval MMO versus Sci-Fi MMO. I am sure that launch of TESO will initially put a dent in amount of players active in SWTOR (I do not think it will affect subs), just like Neverwinter affected GW2 numbers etc. It's normal. After initial hype is over... players will be logging back and the population of active players will stabilize. I think I can comfortably say that majority of players who sub right now are players who will stick with SWTOR. Those who are on the fence, are or PP or F2P. So the subs will be not affected in my opinion.

Sure we all (well almost all) are going to try TESO, why not - I am going to try it as well, but nothing can replace the feeling of the lightsaber in my hands and stupid rusty sword definitely is not going to  manage it :) 

I think that EA is changing their stance on SWTOR, realizing that it is important part of their portfolio and we will see more content and more interesting stuff coming to SWTOR.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Not sure what server you are on but on mine (Red Eclipse) its very easy to find groups for all sorts of stuff. Tons of players at cap from my experience.  

• KinkykelKinkykel Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

Not sure what server you are on but on mine (Red Eclipse) its very easy to find groups for all sorts of stuff. Tons of players at cap from my experience.  

I unsubbed when they said they were shutting down the APAC servers. It was fun, I was enjoying an MMO with very small ping. I just can't do the 300ms lag anymore, I've been spoiled.

This discussion has been closed.