Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally a game that deserves to be on the hype meter

Comments

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Originally posted by Vahrane
    Anything Korean automatically raises a red flag.  Their entire culture is so different then those of us in the west that games from Korea and other parts of Asia usually consist of over sexualized avatars, unrealistic kee-yaw style combat, and happy rainbw unicorn art styles.

Maybe you should at least watch one of their videos first and then, if still unimpressed, make a post detailing what this particular game could do better. As it is, unrealistic combat and over sexualized avatars aren't solely within the domain of eastern games. That being said, the character models for this game aren't designed by prudes but retain a more refined aesthetic. I didn't see any happy unicorns with rainbows when I watched either. Those got left in Diablo III as a "joke". 

Watched the video and I saw Asian Influences through and through.  From Frilly cottoney short dresses to over stylized flashy colorful combat animations.

Calleme a cynic but I love boring not flash.

Guess I missed all that. Seriously, I watched their vids again and am fairly lost as to where you're seeing the " frilly cottoney" dresses (Who does cotton think it is anyway? Comprising many of my daily textiles! It can shove off!). The combat animations might have been stylized but weren't all that flashy either. Again, Diablo III had, at least equally, flashy animations as well. I'm not really sure why you love "boring" either. Unless you're trying to fix your engines pistons.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

This looks very impressive. One to keep on my radar for the future. I fear this could be a long wait though. Hasn't even been any new info about when AA is coming here. But thanks for bringing this game to my attention. The trailer is most impressive!

I love the way the Koreans make their characters. Even in Lineage 2 as old as it is, the characters there still look better than most modern western mmo's ( In my opinion )

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Vahrane
    Anything Korean automatically raises a red flag.  Their entire culture is so different then those of us in the west that games from Korea and other parts of Asia usually consist of over sexualized avatars, unrealistic kee-yaw style combat, and happy rainbw unicorn art styles.

Maybe you should at least watch one of their videos first and then, if still unimpressed, make a post detailing what this particular game could do better. As it is, unrealistic combat and over sexualized avatars aren't solely within the domain of eastern games. That being said, the character models for this game aren't designed by prudes but retain a more refined aesthetic. I didn't see any happy unicorns with rainbows when I watched either. Those got left in Diablo III as a "joke". 

Watched the video and I saw Asian Influences through and through.  From Frilly cottoney short dresses to over stylized flashy colorful combat animations.

Calleme a cynic but I love boring not flash.

I think what it comes down to is preference. Personally I love the Eastern style of art. While I'm not a fan of 300ft long smacking sticks called swords I still was very impressed at how the characters were in that trailer. I think with characters looking that good both Male and Female, you can get a real sense of connection with your character. 

For me personally characters in Western mmo's are usually the weakest point, While in Eastern mmo's you can really see the creativity reflected in their characters. But again it all boils down to your preference I guess :)

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Long overdo to be introduced to the west I preset to you: Black Desert or what ArcheAge should've been. These devs would die before they let a race car drive around in this world. In case you someone missed the amazing promo video, here you are:

The sad part is this game has more of a Dungeons and Dragons feel then Neverwinter ever will.

MMORPG by the creators of C9. Featuring a similar action combat system...

I stopped watching the video right there ;/

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Looks so awesome, I just hope the Large scale PvP is done right. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Hype scale just dropped over 20 points. It was found out someone was creating accounts and spamming 10's.

Naughty naughty.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• alancodealancode Member UncommonPosts: 163
    So all of us sandbox loathing gamers are still waiting for either ESO, Archage, or Black Desert. Booo

(-_-)

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

ESO will be a big letdown, wont even be a real sandbox...
    No pvp while leveling
    Starter zone's are just pure themepark.
    Had high hopes for ESO untill i dug up more info then i was like nah might be a SWTOR 2.0

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by DamonVile

This game is all talk so far. Why does it deserve to be on the hype meter ? You might as well throw CU up there too. That's apparently going to be the greatest game ever made all they need to do is write the first line of code for it.

Games shouldn't get hyped from what devs tell you they're going to do. It should be about what they've actually done. The worst thing that can happen to an mmo these days seems to be the post that starts off with " this is going to be the one " all that really means is this game doesn't stand a chance of living up to the hype.

What's the difference? This game is almost finished! It also has a rather complete and comprehensive trailer that doesn't hide behind "good graphics." Not to mention not asking for dime until an actual product is delivered........lol.

Apples to oranges is being too kind.

This games trailer is so good Forbes wrote an article about how impressive it is:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/25/black-desert-is-an-amazing-looking-mmorpg-and-it-has-the-trailer-to-prove-it/

Most of these clowns trash talking one of the most promising games seen in a decade are probably also playing Neverwinter or KOTR thinking they found the gem of the century.............lol.

If this game trailer does not impress you please tell me what MMO you're playing right now that is so amazing by comparison and I'll gladly rip it to shreds because, quite frankly, that game does not exist atm.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

This games trailer is so good Forbes wrote an article about how impressive it is:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/25/black-desert-is-an-amazing-looking-mmorpg-and-it-has-the-trailer-to-prove-it/

Most of these clowns trash talking one of the most promising games seen in a decade are probably also playing Neverwinter or KOTR thinking they found the gem of the century.............lol.

If this game trailer does not impress you please tell me what MMO you're playing right now that is so amazing by comparison and I'll gladly rip it to shreds because, quite frankly, that game does not exist atm.

Forbes wrote several articles on Rift too. I guess Rift and Trion is just the bestest company ever right? Sorry bro, the game looks pretty mediocre no matter how much you want to slander anyone who disagrees with your opinion.

"So good it's in Forbes"

Dude, almost any game is in Forbes today. Seriously, quality is not there anymore.

Forbes wrote several articles on Rift too. I guess Rift and Trion is just the bestest company ever right? Sorry bro, the game looks pretty mediocre no matter how much you want to slander anyone who disagrees with your opinion.

The game looks mediocre as opposed to what? Please enlighten us with what non mediocre MMO you're playing.

Also please feel free to link a  Forbes Rift article that is even comparably praiseworthy to the Black Desert one.

Originally posted by Mkilbride

"So good it's in Forbes"

Dude, almost any game is in Forbes today. Seriously, quality is not there anymore.

Funny you say that because Forbes has not conveyed any high hopes for CU at all, despite the obscene hype.

Apparently they have some standards afterall.....lol

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/02/14/15-mmorpgs-to-keep-an-eye-on-in-2013/

You're also on a list, below Neverwinter, which I agree, does suck, and several other games, soo...

Also, they praised Neverwinter as "Excellent"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/04/30/the-surprising-excellence-of-the-new-neverwinter-mmorpg-open-beta-launches-today/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/04/24/two-reasons-to-try-neverwinter/

Seems Forbes is big on Neverwinter as well as Black Desert, eh?

I bet that kinda stings. In the same sentence that you praise Forbes and insult Neverwinter - they like it, as much as BD. :P

As for CU, which you just randomly bring into the thread, it was covered on Forbes - alot. Also on a ton of other websites, like OnRPG, Warcry, ect.

That said - CU has no impressive trailer to show off. CU is a concept, a game that is being made...you're comparing that to a game ready to release? Pretty immature.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Long overdo to be introduced to the west I preset to you: Black Desert or what ArcheAge should've been. These devs would die before they let a race car drive around in this world. In case you someone missed the amazing promo video, here you are:

The sad part is this game has more of a Dungeons and Dragons feel then Neverwinter ever will.

deserves to be on a hype meter?

the basic idea behind a "hype" is that it does NOT deserve the attention.

you don't care about reasons when you hype sth.

so how can it "deserve" to be on a hype meter??? seriously, hyping is the male version of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH" when girls saw the backstreet boys

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

The video looked good, but their website (at least the one linked through here) is enough to make me stay away from it.

I created better websites in the 90's on Angelfire

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by korr

The video looked good, but their website (at least the one linked through here) is enough to make me stay away from it.

maybe they are spending time making the game not wasting there time with a website no one but you cares about ?

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Grailer

maybe they are spending time making the game not wasting there time with a website no one but you cares about ?

that may be the case, but there is almost no information on the site, just the video.  I just can't get excited about a project the created can't get excited enough to talk about on their own site.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

^^^

Gotta laugh at the haters hating on what looks to be the best looking MMORPG ever created unless you can name one that is better which you cant because there isn't one .

The combat looks pretty good actually especially on horse back its amazing .  But then we can only really compare it to WOW / WildStar / NW or Tera lols combat which makes Black Desert an easy winner . 

What Im interested in is the HUD , will it get in the way with hp bars and names all over the place ruining the immersiveness ?

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

^^^

Gotta laugh at the haters hating on what looks to be the best looking MMORPG ever created unless you can name one that is better which you cant because there isn't one .

The combat looks pretty good actually especially on horse back its amazing .  But then we can only really compare it to WOW / WildStar / NW or Tera lols combat which makes Black Desert an easy winner . 

What Im interested in is the HUD , will it get in the way with hp bars and names all over the place ruining the immersiveness ?

Well from the one screenshot I was able to dig up of an actual in game fight(It's under screenshots) the HUD looks no worse than any other MMO and we can not even see the full screen because it appears to have been taken from a cellphone.

Also I don't really understand the complaint of flashy combat every MMO I have ever played has flashy effects for special abilities and WoW the game that every other MMO is compared to has "flashy combat" it is honestly the rare MMO that does not have it. So I don't know where the term Flashy/street fighter Korean combat came from when almost every MMO has flashy combat. Honestly who wouldn't want one of their Ultimate abilities to have some form of flash? Would you honestly want a high level attack to be as boring as a basic auto-attack?

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

that may be the case, but there is almost no information on the site, just the video.  I just can't get excited about a project the created can't get excited enough to talk about on their own site.

As I said in my thread that is most likely the English place holder site because how could an MMO this massive be going into closed beta in less than 2 months not have an official game site. The game almost certainly has a Korean site we just do not have access to it.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I am getting deja vu from when GW2 used to be on top of hype meter. Almost same attitude by those hyping BD.

Good start.

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak

As I said in my thread that is most likely the English place holder site because how could an MMO this massive be going into closed beta in less than 2 months not have an official game site. The game almost certainly has a Korean site we just do not have access to it.

It's not even that hard to find, but people would prefer pissing and moaning about what doesn't exist rather than going and checking if there's any information they may have missed (google search is hard, ya know).

http://www.blackdeserthq.com/forums/

There is fairly large section that contains gamer's questions which get answered directly by the Black Desert dev team. 

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    looks like a simple asia grinder