Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First TCG MMO

ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game

Seems like a very ambitious trading card game. I would rattle off some details but the kickstarter page would do a far greater job than any summery I would construct.

Comments

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75

Looks cool, and already raised 3x their goal.  I don't particularly like the art direction, but should be a good game--tough concept to mess up.  I'm honestly baffled that there haven't been more solid attempts to do this.  The TCG experience just translates better to an online game in virtually every way.

Not sure what they mean by "real" MMO though.  At a glance I don't see any persistent world or anything, which leads me to wonder if the claim is some kind of "no true Scotsman" they're using just to let undiscerning players believe that they have no competition.  Granted, what competition I do know of is a really half-assed implementation of the concept, so I'm happy to see this succeed anyway.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Everwest

Looks cool, and already raised 3x their goal.  I don't particularly like the art direction, but should be a good game--tough concept to mess up.  I'm honestly baffled that there haven't been more solid attempts to do this.  The TCG experience just translates better to an online game in virtually every way.

Not sure what they mean by "real" MMO though.  At a glance I don't see any persistent world or anything, which leads me to wonder if the claim is some kind of "no true Scotsman" they're using just to let undiscerning players believe that they have no competition.  Granted, what competition I do know of is a really half-assed implementation of the concept, so I'm happy to see this succeed anyway.

I think this game looks really solid, in fact I have been looking to play an TCG MMO for some time now and I can't believe its actually going to happen!

As for a 'real' MMO I think the finer points were covered in the video (which was hilarious).

- Social aspects, chat, guilds, friends etc

- The world is not like an open world experience such as WoW or Rift but more art direction, a massive map you point and click to explore perhaps.

- Level up and customization of the cards and achievements.

- Questing and raiding will be present

- PvP quick matches, tournaments and arenas 

So I think this is a real 'MMO' but the format is just a bit 'alien'. 

Looking forward to it!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

This is something that looked interesting to me at first, but as i walked through the gameplay as described, it seemed very PvP focused and, as such, very dependent on what cards you had or bought. The kickstarter rewards kind of reinforced that. It then became far less appealing to me. If there's a PvE (player vs AI) focused aspect of it, it wasn't apparent.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Looks good, but FIRST? Mmmmm, NOPE!

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    I'm actually really interested, thanks for the post!!
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I'm intrigued.

Yep, this could actually be the first time I support a kickstarter...

Edit : Yes I do also think that I hope you wont have to pay thousands of bucks like with real cards to get a good deck. Or if they do, please give me the paper version of it also :P even if the paper game doesnt really exists..

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    This actually looks fantastic, if they release a stable client with the polish it seems to have and as few as possible launch week hiccups I can see this taking off in a major way. 
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

TCGs are fine, not so much my cup of tea, but still fine.

But why not just play with LIVE people at a table?

I loved playing card game with people in front of me, But there are a lot of fighting around rules sometime and it cost DAMN a lot. If the MMO/TGC requires you to buy as much card I will not play even tho I'm a fan of those type of game
    Originally posted by bugse82

Looks good, but FIRST? Mmmmm, NOPE!

Yeah, I thought the SAGA MMORTS was the first.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

there are plenty of online TCG.

And i don't see a compelling reason to make it a MMO. Just have a lobby with social function, and you are set.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Shattered Galaxy was a MMORTS before Saga.

And yeah I agree with what others in the thread are saying about Hex not really being particularly MMO--ish.  If we widen the definition to accept Hex, then it becomes not the first MMO TCG because earlier games like Magic Online start to fit that widened (and honestly useless) "MMO" definition.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Ever since i played Magic the Gathering by Microprose in late 90's i've been dreaming of this MMO where you can explore a huge world and battle monsters and other players with your deck of cards. This might not be it but at least we're getting close.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

It's pay 2 win.

Granted, you can't avoid that though. That;s the NATURE of trading card games.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

It's pay 2 win.

Granted, you can't avoid that though. That;s the NATURE of trading card games.

P2W is not a bad thing. It supports the industry. You can choose whether to participate. And it is fair because my dollar has exactly the same power as yours.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I know, I wasn't saying it's bad.

I was just saying that is the nature of TCG. The person who spent more money on a deck can usually win. So...a F2P TCDMMO really can't avoid being P2W without  basically saying goodbye to profits.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• GennerallGennerall Member Posts: 46

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23180

Questions from the kickstarter, including some covering the PvE side of things for those skeptic about it.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Pouf
    I loved playing card game with people in front of me, But there are a lot of fighting around rules sometime and it cost DAMN a lot. If the MMO/TGC requires you to buy as much card I will not play even tho I'm a fan of those type of game

I agree with you here. TCGs are already very social by nature, so that aspect of an MMO isn't needed. There is also no real need for a persistent world as the main gameplay just needs to be you and your opponent(s) playing with the cards. Sure, animations and special graphics are cool, but they aren't even remotely required.

Another aspect of TCGs that say seem to have completely forgotten in their video is their mobility. My group(s) of friends in middle school, high school, and college carried decks with them to play with whenever they wanted. Countless lunch hours have been made more fun because you can play with your cards anywhere, anytime (almost). In that regard, TCGs as a mobile game/application would work much better.

Last thing, which was even hinted at in their video, physical cards and collecting them. I doubt this will be like Magic Online where you could earn physical cards by playing the online version. They have limited resources and the guy seems hellbent on including "raids" and "PvP" (even though TCGs by nature are always Player vs. Player), so I doubt making a physical game to go in sync with the online one will occur.

Originally posted by Axehilt

We're talking about the first TCG MMO.

Originally posted by Gennerall

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23180

Questions from the kickstarter, including some covering the PvE side of things for those skeptic about it.

That thread answered all my questions and more. Great information. Thanks, Gennerall!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

We're talking about the first TCG MMO.

Er, sure...but what does a MMORTS have to do with a TCG?  Why even mention Saga?  Being booster-pack-based doesn't make you a TCG.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    first TCG MMO? thats probably MTG Online
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

And yeah I agree with what others in the thread are saying about Hex not really being particularly MMO--ish.  If we widen the definition to accept Hex, then it becomes not the first MMO TCG because earlier games like Magic Online start to fit that widened (and honestly useless) "MMO" definition.

/thread

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    I agree that as far as a  TCG MMO goes Magic online was probably the first. That said this almost adds the RPG side of things to it making it the first MMORPG TCG. Almost that is. It has raids, pve, guilds, lots of quest, some exploration, storyline, character progression, gear etc. Even if you don't agree that it is the first TCG MMO what it is doing is still worthy of discussion at this venue.