Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or...

nightmaareznightmaarez Member Posts: 7

does WildStar seem a little goofy/kid-ish? The graphics are fine, but it just seems like they have a non-serious approach on how an MMO should be. I just saw what the Settler class is like, and it sounds weird for an MMO. Putting down blocks to protect your friends, building villages, putting down merchants? It sounds like something from Club Penguin. In my opinion, it just seems like Carbine Studios is not being as serious as they should be. Now I have barely done any research, but from what I have seen so far it looks like a game that a 10 year old would play on the Wii U. Carbine also hasn't shown us much gameplay, so we can't really see if WildStar is kid-ish, or an "adult/mature" MMO like WoW or Rift. 

Just my two cents

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

It just has a sense of humor, like WoW funny enough. I think they are just trying to appeal to a diverse group of players. Someone might be interested in doing the settler type stuff rather than just doing a straight up combat role. But they have all that hardcore combat stuff too. In fact it looks like they are appealing to the hardcore raiding crowd more than any MMO since Vanilla WoW.

I applaud them for adding diverse gameplay elements. Not all that stuff is just for kids. A lot of people think any type of video game is kids stuff. I know my parents generation would have never thought of playing video games for hours a day as an adult. When you became an adult you put away your toys. And in essence video games are toys.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Yeah,its increasingly coming clear to me that this game and I arent going to mix..

I have a completely different taste when it comes to MMO's.

Even still,good luck to them and the game becoming a success.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by nightmaarez

does WildStar seem a little goofy/kid-ish? The graphics are fine, but it just seems like they have a non-serious approach on how an MMO should be. I just saw what the Settler class is like, and it sounds weird for an MMO. Putting down blocks to protect your friends, building villages, putting down merchants? It sounds like something from Club Penguin. In my opinion, it just seems like Carbine Studios is not being as serious as they should be. Now I have barely done any research, but from what I have seen so far it looks like a game that a 10 year old would play on the Wii U. Carbine also hasn't shown us much gameplay, so we can't really see if WildStar is kid-ish, or an "adult/mature" MMO like WoW or Rift. 

Just my two cents

Let me answer your question right now Wildstar is not Adult/mature, at least no more so then WoW which is the demographic they are going for. This does not mean it won't be good, but there will be alot of goofy silliness, and eventually in a expansion or two if they do well enough there will be pandas! ;)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

It just has a sense of humor, like WoW funny enough. I think they are just trying to appeal to a diverse group of players. Someone might be interested in doing the settler type stuff rather than just doing a straight up combat role. But they have all that hardcore combat stuff too. In fact it looks like they are appealing to the hardcore raiding crowd more than any MMO since Vanilla WoW.

I applaud them for adding diverse gameplay elements. Not all that stuff is just for kids. A lot of people think any type of video game is kids stuff. I know my parents generation would have never thought of playing video games for hours a day as an adult. When you became an adult you put away your toys. And in essence video games are toys.

Its not really all the diverse if its all aimed at raiding and getting people to raid. This to me is its major flaw. I didn't particularly enjoy the 40 man raids in WoW that took forever to form so 10 players could role for one loot drop for their class (More if there were ninja looters on board) if they were lucky, rinse repeat.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I do too, we need more games that include everyone, that's how strong friendships and huge guilds are built where the members last together a very long time.

It's diversity by bringing together multiple gamer types that keeps a game going strong.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    It looks like Wizard/Pirate 101. I'll still be playing it though.
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    its just you
  • anexporanexpor Member UncommonPosts: 24
    It does have that look to it. I'd prefer a darker type game, but ill still be trying it.  There are too many awesome features to pass up.  Combat looks pretty fluid too.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Funny post OP, I laughed funny stuff. Although I like the silly humour (even at all times) I would agree that a more mature  sense of humor closer to what Gearbox did with Borderlands 1 and 2 is what I really like the most!! =) Cheers!
  • DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134
    I think kids are a good market, play with the whole family. And when they get older they will buy all carbines games just cause. Not trying to say anything bad about anyone. Just preferred the days when video games were the new frontier, not a billion dollar business. But ya, can't wait for a mmorpg, that has mature content, and no I don't mean SB.
  • reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Maybe 2 years ago or however long that was, i watched their game announcement clip.  It was ok and ever since then, I never went back or keep my eye on this game.  

Until yesterday, I went back to check out their website because I was wondering what's a big deal about this game?  And i started watching all of their videos.  I have to say that those videos were funny!  Because of that, I would actually give this game a try and I'm actually going to keep my eye on this game now.  

Nowadays, most of MMO games are set in a more serious and darker tone..."an evil whatever is awakening and  is  going to destroy the world.  Now it's your job to defeat this evil and save the world, etc, etc..."

Wildstar seems to be pretty funny and less serious and it might be a breath of fresh air.  

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by nightmaarez

Carbine also hasn't shown us much gameplay, so we can't really see if WildStar is kid-ish, or an "adult/mature" MMO like WoW or Rift. 

Just my two cents

When the heck was WoW an adult/mature game? lmao

Matter of fact most players act like a 10 year old across all MMO's.

I guess your speaking to the theme??? If your looking for super-realistic gritty then yeah move along.

This is more in the flavor of Borderlands type humor with a touch of WoW art style.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Demalis
    I think kids are a good market, play with the whole family. And when they get older they will buy all carbines games just cause. Not trying to say anything bad about anyone. Just preferred the days when video games were the new frontier, not a billion dollar business. But ya, can't wait for a mmorpg, that has mature content, and no I don't mean SB.

You mean the Secret World?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/The-Secret-World.html

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    Everything should be given a shot to have it's own seperate feel. Or else people always call everything a clone or copying sadly.
  • StuddleyStuddley Member Posts: 37

The graphics really put me off when I first saw them, but they are growing on me. The game is shooting for a wide array of players and the paths will help. They will let players get more involved in the kinds of things they are interested in, and also avoid the stuff they don't care about. The humor is refreshing, but then I always did go for the comic relief stuff (like goblins in Warhammer).

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I actually like the visual style, but if the game is all out fun and humour with no serious or dark side to it at all, it might get old fast. Going by what I've seen in a few gameplay vids, they seem to have some of that, too, so, here's hoping...

Interestingly, I've always preferred "dark stuff" as it's done in stylistic visuals (over dark stuff as it's done in realistic visuals). For example, I really like the dark / depressive zones in WOW.  Visually I'm getting a bit of of a TBC vibe from this game, hope that turns out to be true.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Wildstar is such type of a game that must be stylised and cartoonish/caricaturish. But I agree their art designers aren't the best in the industry :/  Nothing we can do about it.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Personally, I like the way the game looks and I really get their sense of humour too. The Path system looks pretty good, and the Explorer Path is really going to appeal to a friend of mine who loves roaming around and seeing the sights.  Untypically for me (I don't like Crafting in any game I've played) I really want to try a Settler!   I really hope I get in on the beta.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

You know what? Good.  Games, to me, lately have been trying to take themselves way to seriously.  Let some devs go nuts with the world they build, and fun times will be had by all (well many at least)

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    It's called stylized graphics and it allows them creative license to use vibrant colors to help distinguish different parts of their game.  It scales really well with graphics processors.  Realistic graphics are much easier to point out flaws.  I don't think graphic styles determine the other aspects of the game.  Just because they are using stylized graphics doesn't mean the dungeons are easy or mobs hit like soft noodles.  IT'S FUN, the devs are having FUN.  People buy games when they are FUN. 
  • AlveradAlverad Member Posts: 12

Why should Carbine be serious?  This is a game, a form of entertainment, they don't have to be anything other then fun enough to sell their product, and that they are. 

I'm obviously not young enough to know what Club Pinguin is, but I hardly consider this game childish.  Stylized graphics doesn't mean it's targeted at 3+. 

I personally love the humour, the constant self mocking from every direction.  WoW had some moments here and there, but WS is just plain brilliant in that respect.

Don't know if you ever noticed, or if you are old enough, but whenever I'd take my kid to a theater for a cartoon of some sort, say Toy Story, you'd notice that  the kids would laugh at the obvious, while the parents would giggle uncontrollably at completely different time.  Even in kiddy cartoons  there is often humour beyond the first layer.

Maybe it's just, that as you get older, you start to miss all the childhood 'magic', and you welcome anything that reminds you of it. Who knows :)

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

These days people play more than one mmo, i'll be playing Wildstar alongside games like Age Of Wushu, EQN, ArcheAge and other more darker MMO's.

Anyway, we don't know what's waiting for us in the deep places of Nexus.

Other than the way the game looks i think Wildstar is no different from TESO when it comes to ratings. TESO looks like it will be all flash and no dash, i would rather less flash and more dash.

• C_GlassC_Glass Member CommonPosts: 29

The more videos I watch of Wildstar, the more I start to realize this game is being aimed a fairly young kids. I mean the "I peed my briches, hurr durr" video was DUMB. I would of found that funny around ten. If the game is flled with that sort of humor, I'm not going anywhere near it. 

People say this game is like a cross betwen WOW and GW2, but they forgot to add one more thing, Free Realms. This game has the same exact feel. 

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Not sure how I feel about the game, havent played it...yet!

See you guys in Beta. :P

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's not just you.

Between the overly-cartoonish design and simple whack-a-mole combat, I'll be passing on this one. It has some good looking features but I can't get past the Cartoon-Network look of it.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky