Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Payment Model is a 'Hybrid' Model

2»

Comments

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Such fail; BTP + vanity cash shop = win

NO conversion in game cash to real cash,
    NO P2W option
    NO sub fee AND vanity cash shop (jeez! Talk about WoW double dip model).
    NO play restrictions on players.

Pay for the BOX = influx of cash for initial investment. Vanity shop = maintenance.

So simple, now focus on content and keep the players wanting to play and expand AND contribute through the cash shop.

NOTICE the distinction there, players WANTING to contribute BECAUSE the game is awesome. We don't want players HAVING to contribute because they want too.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
     We don't want players HAVING to contribute because they want too.

Dude, just... dude.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by colddog04

Dude, just... dude.

While instigator-Jones really phrased that badly, if you actually read his post you'll see he wasn't suggesting players shouldn't have to contribute. He just prefers the box buy + vanity shop model. No need to jump on him, but yeah that sentence could use fixing.

Originally posted by Denambren
    Originally posted by colddog04

Dude, just... dude.

While instigator-Jones really phrased that badly, if you actually read his post you'll see he wasn't suggesting players shouldn't have to contribute. He just prefers the box buy + vanity shop model. No need to jump on him, but yeah that sentence could use fixing.

I wasn't suggesting that he thought players shouldn't contribute.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Damn boss interrupted me! Should have been:
    "Because they HAVE too".
    Thanks for bagging on the mistake and completely missing the point though.
    Damn boss interrupted me! Should have been:
    "Because they HAVE too".
    Thanks for bagging on the mistake and completely missing the point though.

I literally thought you meant that the issue with many F2P options is that players think they have to pay. Sorry if I was bagging on you.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

He doesn't just say "It's a hybrid model", he also says "We're not going for a simple model".

That makes me think it's not a straight B2P + cash shop affair like GW2, because, well, that's a pretty simple model in my book, it's how we expect B2P titles to work and people are used to it now thanks to GW2.

I'd also rule out a tiered subscription *only* model, as that'd not be a "hybrid"; it's just a P2P model though not a "simple" one.

F2P with cash shop is a pretty straightforward model, so that's probably not it as well.

What seems likely to me is a B2P model with optional subscription on top for premium. Plus maybe a very very limited "trial" option.

So, how'd that work? Mind, this is purely "out of the posterior" stuff. :)

Well, you'd *have to* pay for the box price to get to play the whole game (as opposed to trial). It'd have a cash shop with no pay-to-win items, but some juicy cosmetics probably including housing stuff, mounts and vehicles, game services (transfer, rename etc), and non-combat clothes, etc.

The sub would give you good deals in the cash shop (along with some fixed monthly currency), with maybe some game services like extra character slots as well.

Also, maybe DLCs that come free for the subbers?

To me, that sort of thing would be a "hybrid model that's not simple".

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I hope they have a sub based barrier to entry model. I would be perfectly happy with a billing setup like Wow. I hate F2P models and I hate constantly being interrupted to have another dollar squeezed from my wallet. I'll happily pay 20 bucks a month and 60-80 bucks for the game to be left the eff alone while playing. I'll take buffet vs. ala carte please!

No bitchers.

• bltmebltme Member Posts: 26

i like the hybrid model although I suspect it's a b2p, meaning if you can't afford it wait four more years or never.......With buy 2 play games starting to monopolize I am starting to wonder what does hybrid mean in the free to play market.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    The gameplay sucks, point'n'click ... always waiting for a real action gameplay ... FUCKING HOTBARS FUCKING TAB-SYSTEM -FUCK THE MMO MARKET
  • RagabashMoonRagabashMoon Member UncommonPosts: 7

I just can no longer trust any game put out by NCSoft. I apologize to the people at Carbine, I know THEY aren't to blame, but NCSoft has just shut down too many games, for crazy reasons and in crazy ways (firing a guy, shutting down his game, and forging a letter of resignation while he's not even on planet Earth because they sent him to outer space to promote the game?).  As for City of Heroes, the real game I hate NCSoft for canceling, it may not have a been a huge cash cow anymore, but it was self-sustaining with about $10,000 profit a month.  Makes me think it was a scapegoat to appease the investors after Guild Wars 2 didn't make back it's production costs fast enough, so they started to panic.

Either way, they've shown that they can and will just shut a game down with no prior notice and for reasons that to this day nobody really understands.

• TwobitTwobit Member Posts: 8

Release Date?

"The day it's ready."

And not a minute sooner please. I'm so tired of games getting released before they are ready and being seriously broken - causing all my friends to get pissed off and leave.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Hey, as long as the hybrid model allows for people to pay to have "advantages" that aren't too big and can be overcome with a bit of skill and patience and that people who don't pay aren't given rediculous restrictions, I'll be happy.

So your happy with a model that "seems" stomachable at launch then just sitting around waiting for the developer to pull the rug out from under you via the cash shop.

I'm not, because it eventually does and will happen.