Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat type?

Delavega86Delavega86 Member Posts: 112

i remember MJ saying how he liked gw2 combat, and how CU might have a soft-targeting system, rather than the oldschool one.

what does that exactly mean?

in gw2 you can target someone, and attack/move towards their direction, or you could have no target and attack/move to any direction you'd want.

is that what soft-targeting means? cause im not sure.

or is it like NWO where you have a reticule, but you're asisted by the game's auto-aim?

(which is tons of fun btw, yet not annoyingly precise like in tera)

anyway, i hope they let us know when they decide on the type of combat/targeting the game will have.

as of now, all we know is that it will be a 3-faction RvR game where you build stuff. which is not enough info for me to know if i want to "prepurchace" it, as in, get one of those 50$++ packs.

i just hope that if they follow the gw2 combat system, they include full collision detection, for both enemies and allies, cause this has ruined gw2's large scale battles and sieges.

Comments

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

There is almost 3 years between now and release.

So yeah - they got plenty of time to figure these things out. That's what us, the consumers, will be helping them decide.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would like them to be radically different and do some sort of chivalry / mount and blade / war of the roses style combat.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I would like them to be radically different and do some sort of chivalry / mount and blade / war of the roses style combat.

M&B would be cool. Chivalry would be to spammy.

I would find someway to sell my account if they even went close to War of the Roses. Christ that games combat is bad. "LULZ, PLATE ARMOR DEFLECTS ALL ATTACKS, I CAN SURVIVE AXES AND MACES AND SWORDS EVEN THOUGH I GOT STABBED"

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179

The only thing I hope that they don't do is something that aligns more with an FPS than with an old-school MMO. I'm really tired of the *twitch, jive, duck and roll*

I really miss the positionals, chains, and reactional style of DAoC. Even WoW was good (but without the damned GCD). 

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Combat will probably include the following:

1) Tab targeting (because people will bitch and moan without it, and probably needed in mass PvP battles)

2) Some kind of FPS targeting for ranged attacks (because MJ really doesn't want tab-targeting for archers, and probably will apply to some spells as well).

3) Reactionary styles and combos (because it emphasizes skill play) 

What I don't think we'll have is DCUO kind of gameplay, which is more arcade like combat.  

What I'd like to have is deathblow animations.  Getting a critical hit combined with a deathblow should result in a special deathblow animation, similar to how AoC did the decapitation, but apply it to both melee and spells.  Perhaps an archer deathblow animation is an arrow between the eyes or a special way they draw the bowstring.  A spell deathblow could just make the effect twice as bright or explode the head.  And melee deathblows are decapitation.  

The Founders Shop lists special death animations.

So we'll see.

• MajiinXMajiinX Member CommonPosts: 89
    I would defiantly like to see a non targeting combat system something along the lines of neverwinter i'd also like to see collision detection I feel that would add a new level of depth to combat and strategy.Being able things like using tanks to bottleneck a keep or finding higher ground and have casters and archers pick off healers would be crucial strategies and players would have to actually aim at their targets and not just tab through and arbitrarily spam abilities.
  • Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397

Keep straying from DAOC/WAR model and this daoc/WAR revamp will be even more niche than you people think, and remember these pvp games don't work well without a minimum amount of players on each server.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• SchurgeSchurge Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

Keep straying from DAOC/WAR model and this daoc/WAR revamp will be even more niche than you people think, and remember these pvp games don't work well without a minimum amount of players on each server.

Exactly.

Mount and Blade / Chivalry / etc. style combat would slice the game's population in half or more and I would be the first one out the door, it has even less to do about skill and even more to do with latency add 50 people to a fight and no one will be having fun. GW2 combat wasn't that good either.

• Delavega86Delavega86 Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by MajiinX
    I would defiantly like to see a non targeting combat system something along the lines of neverwinter i'd also like to see collision detection I feel that would add a new level of depth to combat and strategy.Being able things like using tanks to bottleneck a keep or finding higher ground and have casters and archers pick off healers would be crucial strategies and players would have to actually aim at their targets and not just tab through and arbitrarily spam abilities.

get out of my head! xD

unfortunatelly, ppl are afraid of change. even if its for the better.

and CSE;s first priority is to make money, so...  we might not see this.

Originally posted by Schurge

Exactly.

Mount and Blade / Chivalry / etc. style combat would slice the game's population in half or more and I would be the first one out the door, it has even less to do about skill and even more to do with latency add 50 people to a fight and no one will be having fun. GW2 combat wasn't that good either.

what GW2 was missing was enemy and ally collision detection.

blob-trains everywhere. and no strategic positionings whatsoever.

other than that, it was a lot more fun than wow/daoc-style combat.

btw, try out neverwinter.

while the game is broken, and your arsenal is limited, the combat style is the most fun ever!

imagine neverwinter's combat, but instead of 8 abilities, to have 20!

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Delavega86
    Originally posted by Schurge

Exactly.

what GW2 was missing was enemy and ally collision detection.

blob-trains everywhere. and no strategic positionings whatsoever.

other than that, it was a lot more fun than wow/daoc-style combat.

btw, try out neverwinter.

while the game is broken, and your arsenal is limited, the combat style is the most fun ever!

imagine neverwinter's combat, but instead of 8 abilities, to have 20!

What GW2 also went wrong with, was the skills that was locked for each type of weapon.

I am a guy that likes to switch weapons for great look.

GW2 forces you to use a weapon because of the skills

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

Could sit here all day and rant about what was wrong with gw2 combat. Keep in mind I still play.

Boons/conditions along with cleanses and strips are dumbed down to the max.

Interrupts while still a major part of the game, are not nearly as prevalent as I'd like.

50% or more of the game is just learning when to dodge. I liked dodge at first, then I realized that it really just dumbs the game down. Counter spells of different types would be far better than the end all be all dodge roll.

Terrible missile pathing (if you run into a guardian with a scepter try alternating stafe left and right quickly).

No definite max range (range is actually larger than the tooltip if you learn to exploit certain situations that cause it). 

5 target cap aoe, promotes zerging and makes what limited cc there is pointless in those situations aside from certain abilities that break this rule. I'm mostly speaking about softer cc, since hard cc is always useful.

Took what people hate most about stealthers (in combat stealthing) and focused on it like no mmo before it.

Downed State/Rally - casual friendly mechanic

All and all just a dumbing down of everything that makes combat fun for me. I like systems to be complicated.... I don't need everything dumbed down for me. If I did, i'd be content with gw2 instead of looking at this game.

The issue I have with the soft targeting system is that melee has far too much aoe. While some aoe is nice, I hardly see the point in making auto attacks or anytime attacks aoe. Reminds me of choppa zergs in war... like watching a bunch of lawnmower blades. Nevermind the fact that many of gw2's single target abilities don't even work without a target (mostly movement skills with an attack attached to the end).

I'm going with tab target along with skill shots like a moba or limited fps mechanics for some ranged abilities. I'd be fine with just having a hard targeting system, but MJ has made it clear he wants to do something different with ranged.

Another thing i'd like to see is a combo based system where chaining different attacks together will lead into different ones instead of having hotbars with 40 different button presses. 
  • Timel0rdTimel0rd Member UncommonPosts: 8

Something very close to Age of Conan. For melee anyways. A hybrid tab targeting combat system. In AoC you can tab target an enemy 30 feet away to see his/her buffs/debuffs, casting bar and their target yet run up to a target 10 feet away and combo them without having to actually "target" them. The chain combos were imo an excellent idea, maybe CU can do that kind of thing for ranged as well. Positioning and movement also matters a ton in AoC. And for the love of god have a sprint button. It makes combat very fast and adds to the strategy as well.

Hopefully no GCD

Some sort of active blocking for shields or active parrying for weapons

Resource management. You should have to manage your resources and get penalized with a minor debuff when they run out.

A simple cc system, kind of like swtor's resolve bar but better. Or break up ccs into two categories. Major and minor and have immunities to both depending on what you were hit with. Nothing worse than being cc locked at full health and being burned to death.

The most important for last. No matter if you have the greatest combat system ever created, its all for nothing if its a gear based game. Your knowledge of the game and your toon along with skill should be the determining factor in most battles, not i have L33t gear and faceroll my keyboard.

Originally posted by Timel0rd

Something very close to Age of Conan. For melee anyways. A hybrid tab targeting combat system. In AoC you can tab target an enemy 30 feet away to see his/her buffs/debuffs, casting bar and their target yet run up to a target 10 feet away and combo them without having to actually "target" them. The chain combos were imo an excellent idea, maybe CU can do that kind of thing for ranged as well. Positioning and movement also matters a ton in AoC. And for the love of god have a sprint button. It makes combat very fast and adds to the strategy as well.

Hopefully no GCD

Some sort of active blocking for shields or active parrying for weapons

Resource management. You should have to manage your resources and get penalized with a minor debuff when they run out.

A simple cc system, kind of like swtor's resolve bar but better. Or break up ccs into two categories. Major and minor and have immunities to both depending on what you were hit with. Nothing worse than being cc locked at full health and being burned to death.

The most important for last. No matter if you have the greatest combat system ever created, its all for nothing if its a gear based game. Your knowledge of the game and your toon along with skill should be the determining factor in most battles, not i have L33t gear and faceroll my keyboard.

I totally agree with no GCD. I like AoCs combat allot I just don't like that you have to press a button then perform the combination in order to use the ability feels a bit clunky. What I would like is that you have say 5 attack buttons and using them in certain combinations will perform different abilities that can do different things so lets say I'm focusing a target an using a single target combo but then more enemy join in when I goto finish the combo I have the option to finish with an AoE. 

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    He's stated no GCD so many times, and laughs about it... Do people actually watch his videos?

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

Originally posted by Timel0rd

well, gear-based = whoever has the most time to play, wins.

this game might not be gear-dependant, but MJ said that the more you use certain skills, the better they will become.

so in the end, it is the same. whoever plays more, wins, not whoever plays better.

(altho, the game will probably have real-time blocks and dodges, which will make the scale lean towards skill and not time-played.)

• badbingo10badbingo10 Member Posts: 46

I really hope this game is tab target, or something very similar to it. People are (as pointed out earlier in this thread) scared of change and I want to see huge populations in any mmo I play. 

Personally I prefer skill based systems, I loved darkfall 1 for instance, but I do believe it scares people away although players never admit it and blame some other unrelated aspect of a game. Especially when it's a game that involves pvp. So I'm hoping this game swings more towards easy tab target > skill based FPS style combat, purely to keep a large audience and longevity of the game.

Part of me does hope they have something new and special in store for us though, guess we'll have to wait and see.