Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Payment Model is a 'Hybrid' Model

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In a new video interview with Jeremy Gaffney, he reveals that the WildStar payment model is not "unknown" and that it is a "hybrid model". You can check it out for yourself at 16:14 of the Game Breaker Nation interview.

Thanks so much to DARKHOLME for posting the thread in the WildStar forums!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Big thanks to Darkholme for the tip!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64
    All I'm gonna say is I would pay to see a feature length film from the carbine guys.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    This may not new but there is also a new 'paths' video on the Wildstar site. As usual it is really well done and entertaining. Fingers are crossed Car ine can see their vision of this game realized.
  • pbernard1985pbernard1985 Member Posts: 20

I can't find it right now, but in an earlier interview I remember Gaffney stating that he likes the idea of launching with a subscription model to recoup some cost, and then converting to a buy to play or free to play type model down the road.  It may have even been during the future of online gaming panel at PAX East.   This would in effect be a hybrid model.

My only concern is that if there is a cash shop from the get-go that not all items are obtainable via in game means.  I don't want to have to buy an awesome piece of furniture for my in game home with real cash.  I should be able to earn it through meeting certain criteria in the game.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Best option
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by pbernard1985

I can't find it right now, but in an earlier interview I remember Gaffney stating that he likes the idea of launching with a subscription model to recoup some cost, and then converting to a buy to play or free to play type model down the road.  It may have even been during the future of online gaming panel at PAX East.   This would in effect be a hybrid model.

My only concern is that if there is a cash shop from the get-go that not all items are obtainable via in game means.  I don't want to have to buy an awesome piece of furniture for my in game home with real cash.  I should be able to earn it through meeting certain criteria in the game.

No, that would be a subscription model. It's nice that he likes that idea (although it sounds like a total ripoff and awful to the players that sub), but after releasing the information that says it's going to be a hybrid model, it likely will either be a B2P model similar to GW2 or a Freemium model like LotRO or DDO.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

this game reminds me of a blizzard game caliber.

i will try it out, but the art style is a bit juvenile, their ideas and concept are pretty stellar!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I don't know the details, but "Hybrid" model generally ends up being a nickel and dime freak fest...

If I buy a game AND pay a monthly fee, I don't want to have to spend extra to purchase a cloak or couch. It's bad business and makes the company look terrible, e.g., Cryptic's Star Trek Online.

If the game is free to play, then sure... I welcome a cash shop. But don't give me this "HYBRID" bs, where people end up paying a monthly fee as well as having to deal with microtransactions.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I don't know the details, but "Hybrid" model generally ends up being a nickel and dime freak fest...

If I buy a game AND pay a monthly fee, I don't want to have to spend extra to purchase a cloak or couch. It's bad business and makes the company look terrible, e.g., Cryptic's Star Trek Online.

If the game is free to play, then sure... I welcome a cash shop. But don't give me this "HYBRID" bs, where people end up paying a monthly fee as well as having to deal with microtransactions.

What they should do though is say if there is a really cool looking cloak or couch (cosmetic), make them craftable but fairly hard to craft. Then also offer it up for cash for the 'I need it now' people. As long as items are cosmetic ones I am more then fine with that!!

• H3deonH3deon Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

well hybrid could be alot of things, could also be B2P, but with as many restrictions as EQ2 have, if you do not subscribe

would just be specualtion anyway, but could also be F2P + almost forced sub, somehow I doubt that is what it will be though.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I think there will be a subscription option and i'll gladly pay it.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Hey, as long as the hybrid model allows for people to pay to have "advantages" that aren't too big and can be overcome with a bit of skill and patience and that people who don't pay aren't given rediculous restrictions, I'll be happy.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Hey, as long as the hybrid model allows for people to pay to have "advantages" that aren't too big and can be overcome with a bit of skill and patience and that people who don't pay aren't given rediculous restrictions, I'll be happy.

This/

If you pay a monthly sub then you benefit more than someone who doesn't.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I basically see the housing aspect of the game to have a big presence in the cash shop, that seems like the ideal kind of thing to sell. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There is so much confusion when this is named - hybrid
    Half sub half cash shop ?
    BtP + GW2 cash shop ?
    FtP + all stuff in cash shop

There is almost a limitless set op options on what a hybrid will be :P

One thing i hate is stuff that can be buyed with real money or diamonds to spend on good gear / weapons...
    I rather pay a sub then a cash shop that give's advantages to players who dont care to spend 200 euro for the best of the best shit.

One of the best hybrid i my opinion is what Eve online does.
    Sub but when you earn good cash ingame you can buy a sub from the market from players who transfer real money into monthly sub and put in on the market / auction :)
    This way even if your low on real life cash you can spend ingame gold to keep playing.
    Eve also have a cash shop with cosmetic stuff only wich i realy realy like.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Hybrid could mean anything but I hope they follow what sony did with dcuo. you pick the sub option and you get everything included except the fluff items in the cash shop..but they give you a small amount of "cash" to spend there each month with your sub.

So pretty much you pay your sub and put your wallet away till next month.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    free2play with subscription(premium) ;)
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Basically the game will have a sub fee and a cash shop.
  • mase1771mase1771 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I sure hope it's BtP with a non PtW cash shop. Sub games typically don't make the game better and I don't enjoy paying on a game forever.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Carbine is part of NCsoft so i hope their hybrid model is a Buy to play like GW2 with a subscription option that gives even more perks to subscribers. That way people who purchased the game dont get locked out of content because they already purchased the whole game, instead subbers get even more extra additional goodies.

Yeah sounded a bit redundant but just making my wish list clear. If they are smart people they will NOT go the swtor way.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Be careful, Troy Hewett said that despite of what we heard, they haven't made any announcements.This is still subject to change so nobody should dig in quite yet.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Blizzard and Trion have proved vanity pets and mounts are always HUGE  sellers on item malls and really do not effect any advantage in overall gameplay. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by pbernard1985

I can't find it right now, but in an earlier interview I remember Gaffney stating that he likes the idea of launching with a subscription model to recoup some cost, and then converting to a buy to play or free to play type model down the road.

It was in the MMORPG segment that was entitled "crafting in Wildstar" (though ultimately such a payment model was used by most games thus far who milk those still willing to pay at the start and then go F2P to milk that crowd, much to the dismay of those who paid).   Though there was an earlier point whereby he mentioned the payment model will be different than was as stated in that (yesterday's) video.

On May 16th MMORPG hosted a live interview whereby it was stated that their ultimate research on payment models was that "everybody hated every payment model in existence" (paraphrased).  With this he noted that the new payment model will likely be different, but expected  some to naturally still hate it because of that or just because people dislike being torn with their money.

I guess other video adds proper confirmation what with the words that it's undisclosed but not unknown.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

There are a few things I hope don't end up in this game.

1.  Real money to in game currency conversation in any form.

2.  Bag space locked in the cash shop.  It's fine if non sub players have to unlock slots but the actually bag's themselves should be in game items.  I don't want to have to reach for my wallet every time a new item drops I might want to store in my bank.

3.  Slot machine boxes.  Unless they are going to give Sub players a endless key ring to open these they just need to stay out of the game.

4.  Crafting improvement items in the cash shop.  If I have to spend real money to get a good chance to go from a +3 item to +4 item no thanks.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

They will launch with the usual collection of "founder's packs" and Collector's Editions, etc.

It will be sub only.

They'll also announce that the game will be going F2P 12 months after launch.

Then we'll see how many people are prepared to wait a year to play the game "for free" :D