Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Perfect Baby of GW2 and WoW?

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Way more wow than gw2

Gear driven, raid orientated etc..

and thats the great part :)

wow > gw2 .... rpgs are and always were about gear and power. GW 2 failed in this hard time, they did screw up loyal gw 1 fans and bring no endgame for wow/eq players.

I love when everybody uses the word 'failed' as if they are the final say on what that means to everyone. I'm also glad that RP servers weren't set up to accommodate your definition of what Role Playing is because that was the worst definition I ever heard.

There Is Always Hope!

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by keithian
    Way more wow than gw2

wow > gw2 .... rpgs are and always were about gear and power. GW 2 failed in this hard time, they did screw up loyal gw 1 fans and bring no endgame for wow/eq players.

I love when everybody uses the word 'failed' as if they are the final say on what that means to everyone. I'm also glad that RP servers weren't set up to accommodate your definition of what Role Playing is because that was the worst definition I ever heard.

Well it failed in my eyes for sure .. I played gw 2 for 1650 hours in 6 months, crafted juggernaut and predator, leveled 6x 80 just to realize I should have quit loong time ago because all what I am left to do is create another alts .. so i sold acc fot 500 bucks and I am glad :) urge to create alts because nothing else to do = screw it

For instance .. in wow that I played for 6 years, I had only 2 max lvl characters with hundred of days played. In aion only one char for 9 months ... etc, etc. That is how it should be, my oppinion ofc.

So if game forces me to create alts in few weeks or months so I have something to do again, I see it as a fail.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Fusion
    You forgot one MASSIVE feature, that many people hold dear and sometimes even a decisive factor wether to play or not , HOUSING!

No i didn't o.O It's right there lol.  I even put "IN depth player housing, 4th one down or so in the "and a bunch of other cool shit" category.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

Originally posted by Epic1oots
    mmmm, 4oman raids..... hopefully its nothing like GW2 zone boss battles, I mean those are like raids.... I see 20...30,....40 even maybe 60 man trying to down a boss. But god, I just auto attack and button mash and got free loot.

Like i would literally put something on my 1 key and go make a sandwich, then get gold participation while enjoying some roast beef =p Boss mechanics definitely weren't GW2's strong suit. 

But no they're full out instanced raids with decent mechanics from the looks of them but who knows.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,837
    Way more wow than gw2

That would be your opinion. In my opinion, RPGs are about varied experiences and adventures, player freedom, story, and a sense of importance in one's actions, all of which are done better in Guild Wars 2. Gear and power are secondary, optional aspects of the genre that may or may not be included depending on target audience. 

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by Leiloni

I dunno, I personally feel as though WildStar's combat to be somewhat clunky.  You move around as though this was a reticle combat MMO like RaiderZ, TERA, or Neverwinter, but unlike all three of them, your main attack is a bunch of hotkeys 1-6, which I find very difficult to press when I am trying to dodge an attack.

Still, the game is enjoyable, but it's about as perfect as any other MMO out there; in other words it is not.

TERA's combat is still by far the best of any MMORPG on the market, so if it's anything like that, which it's looking like it will be, I'll be super happy. Also, what's so hard about moving and pressing keybinds all at the same time?

I think it would be best if you experienced it firsthand.  It might not be clunky to you, but it sure is to me.

You describe two things - moving around a lot as if you had reticle combat, and your main skills being hotkeyed. RaiderZ, TERA, and Neverwinter have those 2 things in common. Moving around a lot via reticle combat and hotkeying skills. Neverwinter only has a few skillslots which I've rebound to mousekeys while both RaiderZ and TERA have 25ish skills you have to keybind (so much more than 1-6) while also aiming, dodging, strafing, etc. And all three of those games have animation locking (some people find this clunky I guess, I love it).

So based on what you said I don't understand what is bad about Wildstar's combat because to me, those three games have some of the most fun combat on the market. The fact that Wildstar is going with an action combat style is probably the biggest thing I'm looking forward to with this game. If they went further in the tab target direction I would not be paying any attention to this game.

I dunno, I personally feel as though WildStar's combat to be somewhat clunky.  You move around as though this was a reticle combat MMO like RaiderZ, TERA, or Neverwinter, but unlike all three of them, your main attack is a bunch of hotkeys 1-6, which I find very difficult to press when I am trying to dodge an attack.

Still, the game is enjoyable, but it's about as perfect as any other MMO out there; in other words it is not.

TERA's combat is still by far the best of any MMORPG on the market, so if it's anything like that, which it's looking like it will be, I'll be super happy. Also, what's so hard about moving and pressing keybinds all at the same time?

I think it would be best if you experienced it firsthand.  It might not be clunky to you, but it sure is to me.

You describe two things - moving around a lot as if you had reticle combat, and your main skills being hotkeyed. RaiderZ, TERA, and Neverwinter have those 2 things in common. Moving around a lot via reticle combat and hotkeying skills. Neverwinter only has a few skillslots which I've rebound to mousekeys while both RaiderZ and TERA have 25ish skills you have to keybind (so much more than 1-6) while also aiming, dodging, strafing, etc. And all three of those games have animation locking (some people find this clunky I guess, I love it).

So based on what you said I don't understand what is bad about Wildstar's combat because to me, those three games have some of the most fun combat on the market. The fact that Wildstar is going with an action combat style is probably the biggest thing I'm looking forward to with this game. If they went further in the tab target direction I would not be paying any attention to this game.

Honestly I think that animation locks kill any sort of "action" the combat could ever have.  You should never, at any point be standing still and be able to title a game with action combat.  Because yes it does make it feel very clunky and unresponsive. I honestly felt more control over my character in runescape. The difference in Wildstar is that from the looks of it you're never rooted in place, always moving around, things are at a faster pace and pretty much every other part about it.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by kDeviL

Honestly I think that animation locks kill any sort of "action" the combat could ever have.  You should never, at any point be standing still and be able to title a game with action combat.  Because yes it does make it feel very clunky and unresponsive. I honestly felt more control over my character in runescape. The difference in Wildstar is that from the looks of it you're never rooted in place, always moving around, things are at a faster pace and pretty much every other part about it.

Action combat games are not about constant movement, they are about smart movement. It's the fact that you have to aim your skills and that you actually have the ability to avoid damage, unlike in tab target games where damage resistance is pure numbers and you never lose your target after acquiring it. It's the ability to be more a part of the action and focusing more on every move instead of standing back pressing buttons watching it play out.

With animation lock in an action combat game, your choices are important. If you start using a skill when you need to be dodging, you might just take a massive hit to the face, or maybe you're using a skill while your enemy is dodging or blocking or just flat out moving out of the way, and now you've just wasted a cooldown.

Animation locking also adds a nice flow to combat, aside from making it visually appealing, and paces it appropriately in the same way global cooldowns do in tab target games, except it does so far better. Being able to constantly spam skills does not make a game an action combat game. Spamming means there's far less skill involved and thought going into what you're doing and choices don't hold much weight since you can easily just keep moving and keep spamming.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I disagree with you.  I found Tera's combat much less interesting and worse off than GW2's (which Wildstar has MUCH more in common with than Tera).  My primary reasons were due to animation lock (I don't mind it, but skills too way too long to use on some classes) and encounter design being rather boring (kite fest or attack/dodge fests depending on your class).  On the other hand GW2 always felt like my skill was coming into play more than Tera.  For the record I play a lot of 2D Fighters and used to be able to compete at a semi-professional level and they have "animation locking", but I still preferred GW2's over Tera's.

Now GW2 could have been a lot more interesting if there was a Trinity, true raid content, and more interesting dungeon mechanics... OH WAIT Wildstar has those!  I still enjoyed GW2 and played it for far longer than I did Tera despite it nothing the above.

I think the comparison that GW2 and WoW had a baby is a good one, and of course that baby has it's own uniqueness too like some of the features you mentioned.  I think Wildstar is going to be a great game.

Originally posted by kDeviL

Action combat games are not about constant movement, they are about smart movement. It's the fact that you have to aim your skills and that you actually have the ability to avoid damage, unlike in tab target games where damage resistance is pure numbers and you never lose your target after acquiring it. It's the ability to be more a part of the action and focusing more on every move instead of standing back pressing buttons watching it play out.

With animation lock in an action combat game, your choices are important. If you start using a skill when you need to be dodging, you might just take a massive hit to the face, or maybe you're using a skill while your enemy is dodging or blocking or just flat out moving out of the way, and now you've just wasted a cooldown.

Animation locking also adds a nice flow to combat, aside from making it visually appealing, and paces it appropriately in the same way global cooldowns do in tab target games, except it does so far better. Being able to constantly spam skills does not make a game an action combat game. Spamming means there's far less skill involved and thought going into what you're doing and choices don't hold much weight since you can easily just keep moving and keep spamming.

Easy breh, I'm not condemning that kind of combat I'm just saying, from the examples and everything you just said it could be classified as I've always called it "tactical combat."   It's not a bad thing it's just not action combat. You're only thinking in the realm of MMOs, and even in that case B&S would probably take the cake.  True action combat would be something like Devil may cry or god of war. Neither of which have been implemented into an NA released mmo yet.

Jw which game are you referring to where you "just keep moving and keep spamming?"  For valid discussion's sake.

Originally posted by tollbooth
    Combination of GW2 and WoW sounds like an attempt at the most anti-fun game possible.

You should try to look at a glass as half full some time ^^

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    as much as i love GW2, Wildstar seems to offer vastly superior and generally more complex PVE content. i bought GW2 for the pvp and have been thoroughly disappointed by the slow (virtually non-existent) pace of WvW and spvp development. im very excited about Wildstar. 
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

I don't see why people even put WildStar in the same category as GW2.  GW2 was a MMO lite masquerading itself as an MMO.  WildStar is a full fledged MMO that includes innovation and tradition.  

WildStar:

• Has Endgame and a Endgame focus.
    • Has Raids.
    • Has Healers.
    • Has Tanks.
    • Has the Trinity.
    • Has progression in PvE includes with gear.
    • Has progression in PvP including with gear.
    • Has Mounts.
    • Has Traditional Questing mixed with dynamic.
    • World is seamless unlike GW2 which is a series of instances.
    • Two player factions "at war" with each other.
    • Has Dueling.
    • Has Group Finder.
    I probably missed several things, but a lot of these are core game design elements. These MMOs couldn't be more different in terms of core game design elements.  In fact they almost are opposite of each other.  If stretch it so far to compare WildStar with GW2 you can compare WildStar to any MMO in history.

Thankfully for WildStar, it is nothing like GW2.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

I don't see why people even put WildStar in the same category as GW2.  GW2 was a MMO lite masquerading itself as an MMO.  WildStar is a full fledged MMO that includes innovation and tradition.  

WildStar:

• Has Raids.
    • Has Healers.
    • Has Tanks.
    • Has the Trinity.
    • Has Mounts.
    • Has Dueling.
    • Has Group Finder.
    I probably missed several things, but a lot of these are core game design elements. These MMOs couldn't be more different in terms of core game design elements.  In fact they almost are opposite of each other.  Which is great news for WildStar.

Guild Wars 2 has most of the things you mentioned, and everything that WildStar has that GW2 does not is not a core design element.

• Mounts are not necessary in any MMO, especially in one where you can teleport anywhere from anywhere at any time (in combat excluded) with only a paultry monetary payment as a sacrifice.  
    • GW2 doesn't have raids in the traditional sense, but instead group events that can be done at anytime and require enough people to form a raid.  
    • Part of the point of GW2 is to do away with traditional questiong, which is an aspect of GW2 that most people enjoy.
    • Group Finder isn't necessary in an MMO, and would pretty much harm GW2 dungeon content due to a lack of the trinity, which again isn't necessary to core game MMO design and would be a detriment to GW2
    • Seamless worlds are not necessary either.  They are a nice touch, but far from a core game design element.
    • PvP progression is, once again, something that would work against GW2's design, which is one that a lot of people like.  Same goes for faction PvP.
    I think you are confusing "core game design element" with "stuff that I like in MMOs".

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Guild Wars 2 has most of the things you mentioned, and everything that WildStar has that GW2 does not is not a core design element.

• Mounts are not necessary in any MMO, especially in one where you can teleport anywhere from anywhere at any time (in combat excluded) with only a paultry monetary payment as a sacrifice.  
    • GW2 doesn't have raids in the traditional sense, but instead group events that can be done at anytime and require enough people to form a raid.  
    • Part of the point of GW2 is to do away with traditional questiong, which is an aspect of GW2 that most people enjoy.
    • Group Finder isn't necessary in an MMO, and would pretty much harm GW2 dungeon content due to a lack of the trinity, which again isn't necessary to core game MMO design and would be a detriment to GW2
    • Seamless worlds are not necessary either.  They are a nice touch, but far from a core game design element.
    • PvP progression is, once again, something that would work against GW2's design, which is one that a lot of people like.  Same goes for faction PvP.
    I think you are confusing "core game design element" with "stuff that I like in MMOs".

We are not comparing was is "necessary" in MMOs.  We are comparing what WildStar has and GW2 doesn't.  If you can compare GW2 to WildStar you can compare literally MMO in history to WildStar.  Tera, Secret World, WoW, Rift, FFXIV AAR, STO etc.

Core elements are things like the trinity. Gear progression and end game focus.  GW2 has most of these things?

• Has Raids.
    • Has Healers.
    • Has Tanks.
    • Has the Trinity.
    • Has progression in PvE includes with gear.
    • Has progression in PvP including with gear.
    • Has Mounts.
    • World is seamless unlike GW2 which is a series of instances.
    • Has Dueling.
    • Has Group Finder.
    Gear progression, trinity and end game focus are core game design elements.

GW2 has been opposite of WildStar in these core elements.  These two games are polar opposites of each other.
  • GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66

I enjoyed 40 man raiding of Vanilla WoW a lot. Yes, I know the boss encounters were simpler than today's encounters, but getting 40 people to do the right thing and downing a boss for the first time was one of the greatest feelings I got in my long MMO career.

I just hope Wildstar doesn't cater too much to the casual crowd (mind you, I am very casual these days) and provides some hard to complete content.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

Wildstar Devs are doing the same thing that Blizzard is doing forever. Take the best out of every game that is competitive with the game we are making and make it better.

Think they hit the right spot and that Wildstar will be the game where all WOW and GW2 players will find their peace :D

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

WildStar:

• Has Raids.
    • Has Healers.
    • Has Tanks.
    • Has the Trinity.
    • Has Mounts.
    • Has Dueling.
    • Has Group Finder.
    I probably missed several things, but a lot of these are core game design elements. These MMOs couldn't be more different in terms of core game design elements.  In fact they almost are opposite of each other.  Which is great news for WildStar.

• GW2 doesn't have raids in the traditional sense, but instead group events that can be done at anytime and require enough people to form a raid.  Those events are not comparable to a raid. If you think they are, then you haven't raided.

Combat mechanics and gameplay focus are part of the "core game design elements". The fact that it has trinity styled combat with progression and endgame focus tells me that it really is the opposite of GW2. It did borrow some features like dodging. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

We are not comparing was is "necessary" in MMOs.  We are comparing what WildStar has and GW2 doesn't.  If you can compare GW2 to WildStar you can compare literally MMO in history to WildStar.  Tera, Secret World, WoW, Rift, FFXIV AAR, STO etc.

Core elements are things like the trinity. Gear progression and end game focus.  GW2 has most of these things?

• Has Raids.
    • Has Healers.
    • Has Tanks.
    • Has the Trinity.
    • Has Mounts.
    • Has Dueling.
    • Has Group Finder.

GW2 has been opposite of WildStar in these core elements.  These two games are polar opposites of each other.

Lets see now

• yes
    • yes (in the form of giant dynamic events)
    • yes
    • yes
    • no
    • yes
    • yes
    • no
    • no
    • no
    • yes (technically its 3 and its WvWvW, but essentially that is what it is)
    • yes
    • no
    8 yeses, 5 nos.  Yep, that's the majority.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Lets see now

• yes
    • yes
    • yes
    • no
    • yes
    • yes
    • no
    • no
    • no
    • yes
    • no

So you are saying GW2 has these:

• End game and a end game focus.
    • Raids.
    • Healers and Tanks yet no Trinity. 
    • Gear progression in PvP and PvE.
    • Enemy factions
    • Dueling.
    You either haven't played GW2, haven't listed to the devs of the game or are thinking of another game.

• GW2 has always stated it has no end game focus, in fact it has no end game.
    • If you think those outdoor bosses are "raids", especially GW2's outdoor bosses.  I can assure you, you haven't raided in your life.
    • You can't tank in GW2 due to the aggro mechanic.  It is not possible.  You can get around and heal but that is pushing the definition of healing.
    • GW2 has no gear progression in PvP and PvE.  Are they going to introduce a tier with higher stats anytime soon?  I can't list numerous quotes from the lead game designer of GW2 that they won't have gear progression.
    • Servers are not enemy factions of factions themselves. That is not how it works.
    • Dueling was an example of a game feature.  But you can't duel in GW2 and you now it.
    As I said, if you can compare GW2 to WildStar you can compare WildStar to any MMO in history including Eve.  Because you really have to stretch the facts to compare the two.

The are polar opposites of each other.  In almost every way possible.  Combat mechanics are the only thing that is similar.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

• Has Raids.
    • Has Healers.
    • Has Tanks.
    • Has the Trinity.
    • Has Mounts.
    • Has Dueling.
    • Has Group Finder.

Lets see now

• yes No (not in the traditional sense)
    • yes (in the form of giant dynamic events) No (These are not like real raids. They lack the mechanics and required coordination. It is even talked about earlier in the thread.)
    • yes No (Not in the trinity sense)
    • yes No (See above)
    • no
    • yes
    • yes
    • no
    • no
    • no
    • yes (technically its 3 and its WvWvW, but essentially that is what it is) No There is a difference between two and three faction PvP and this PvP occurs in the open world as well as bgs and against people on your own server. The PvP couldn't be anymore different.
    • yes No...since when?
    • no

More like 2 yeses and 10 no's. Not even close. Nice try, but not really........ Better luck next time.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

Lets see now

• yes
    • yes
    • yes
    • no
    • yes
    • yes
    • no
    • no
    • no
    • yes
    • no

So you are saying GW2 has these:

• End game and a end game focus.
    • Raids.
    • Healers and Tanks yet no Trinity. 
    • Gear progression in PvP and PvE.
    • Enemy factions
    • Dueling.
    You either haven't played GW2, haven't listed to the devs of the game or are thinking of another game.

• GW2 has always stated it has no end game focus, in fact it has no end game.
    • If you think those outdoor bosses are "raids", especially GW2's outdoor bosses.  I can assure you, you haven't raided in your life.
    • You can't tank in GW2 due to the aggro mechanic.  It is not possible.  You can get around and heal but that is pushing the definition of healing.
    • GW2 has no gear progression in PvP and PvE.  Are they going to introduce a tier with higher stats anytime soon?  I can't list numerous quotes from the lead game designer of GW2 that they won't have gear progression.
    • Servers are not enemy factions of factions themselves. That is not how it works.
    • Dueling was an example of a game feature.  But you can't due in GW2 and you now it.
    As I said, if you can compare GW2 to WildStar you can compare WildStar to any MMO in history including Eve.  Because you really have to stretch the facts to compare the two.

The are polar opposites of each other.  In almost every way possible.  Combat mechanics are the only thing that is similar.

sorry but doing raids over and over for few years for 1 piece of gear is not a endgame for me

now go with your 40 man raids when 3/4 of time is gathering ppl and rest  is wipe becouse 1 guy fked up something

yes GW2 doesnt have raid thing endgame but saying it doesnt have endgame is......... (put bad word here)

actually there is gear progression they will be adding new stuff, last time they added ascended rings and backpack to WvWvW also lot of new WvWvW skills and traps (thats a PvP progression you are stronger than a guy who just started WvWvW)

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I sure hope it isn t 1/2 GW2. If so take that off my list to try.
    Originally posted by saurus123

sorry but doing raids over and over for few years for 1 piece of gear is not a endgame for me

now go with your 40 man raids when 3/4 of time is gathering ppl and rest  is wipe becouse 1 guy fked up something

I have news for you, WildStar's endgame is raiding, including 40 man raids.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Baleout
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Originally posted by flizzer
    The cartoon world turns me off and will probably keep me away.

I feel sorry for you. I am sorry you've never tried Wizard/Pirate 101 or Dragon Nest. It's pretty sad that such a silly pre-conception is stopping you from trying something new.

Why feel bad Cartoon games do look bad and I wont waste my time on them either so don't feel sorry for us we just DONT care.

Then why are you even posting in this thread since you "just DONT care"?

Anyways the more I hear on WIldstar the more I cannot wait for this game to come out.!

But I have to disagree about it being like WOW and GW2.. Atleast I hope its not like GW2, I could never EVER get into the combat in that game.  It just felt... Off...

But I hope its like Vanilla WOW... That would make my year.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith