Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perfect World - Cryptic = Laughing Stock

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

So most of us know about or have heard about the debacles over on Neverwinter. Primarily the economy breaking exploits that resulted in a rollback.

Now we have STO releasing a new faction, the Romulans. However, that to is plagued with a ton of problems. Skill point issues, stuck on loading screens and best of all a massive login queue.

So after seeing that, I decided to log into Neverwinter and mess around. Only to find that there is a new exploit today [mod edit]

So I decided to check the Auction house, only to find it is still down.

So basically, both of their flagship North American products are a wreck currently. 

I need some new games...

Comments

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

Look , it makes perfect sense to have a major attribute in an mmo for your character checked locally , where you can edit the file and give yourself unlimited resources.

I mean isn't that they way most major mmo's code their characters stats ? ;)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

For those of us unfamiliar with Reddit, which one are we talking about now for NW?  The Client side thing?  Or is there something new new?

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    to be fair, Cryptic was a laughing stock well before PW bought em out
    If someone could whip up a spreadsheet , or maybe a minor SQL database to track the known/new/new new exploits found so far in NW it would be helpful.
  • ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113
    I never heard of Cryptic half a decade ago. Before DC Online and all the other superhero MMOs there was Champions Online. One of the worst games i was suckered into buying, ever. After that i vowed to never buy another Cryptic game. Seems like they're the same old Cryptic i ran into. Half-assing everything. They're up there w/ EA honestly.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    PW is a bit on the greedy side but they have always be fairly competent. Cryptic seems to have fired all their competent employees and cant seem to do anything right anymore. Its a shame because they their games are pretty good at the core. They just seem to have gone keystone cops in the last year or two.

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by ace5572
    I never heard of Cryptic half a decade ago. Before DC Online and all the other superhero MMOs there was Champions Online. One of the worst games i was suckered into buying, ever. After that i vowed to never buy another Cryptic game. Seems like they're the same old Cryptic i ran into. Half-assing everything. They're up there w/ EA honestly.

Gotta go back just a wee bit further for your gaming history.

NCSoft sold Cryptic publishing rights to City of Heroes back in 2001-2002.  I think it came out 03-04.

2005-2006 Cryptic announced a partnership with Marvel that was cancelled.  Because the game was already in development they shifted laterally to Champions Online (after DC passed, because there's was already in development)  Champions was 2009.

Cryptic was acquired by Atari somewhere in here.

Cryptic did STO in 2010?  I'm pretty sure it was within like 6 months of CO because they made the EXACT SAME MISTAKES with the two launches.  Bill Roper left somewhere around here.  He was pretty much a laughing stock.

2011 was PWE's acquisition.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Well you practically get no que at all (less than 5 seconds for me) when you sub Gold membership to the game for a month. If you realistically just plan to play the game for the first 2-3 weeks and then lose interest (like most players will) then it might still be worth paying 1 months sub to avoid these ques for these weeks. If not, then you will have to just wait in the que like the rest of the F2P people.

As a Neverwinter Founder, I totally agree that the image of Cryptic handling the exploit issue wasn't great. I just feel that they should have went full wipe & the damage has been done to the economy. I'll see how things pan out in the following weeks, but while that happens I'm currently enjoying STO.

Of course , now that folks can have instant unlimited stamina in NW , the unlimited teleports can help round up all the duped AD cats.

No , seriously , this is comedy gold that the stamina exploit comes out a few days after the AD blow up.

Haven't seen this much /popcorn amusement since the Vangard-McQuaid soap opera drama and melt down.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Lets be honest, when Cryptic continued to lose money after launching two premium MMO's most of the talent left the ship.  Dan Stahl only came back because he found out the hard way that other companies actually expect developers to produce quality content. 

After losing money for years, Atari stripped them down and sold them.  Under PWE the company continued to be reduced, it is no where near the over 100 employees it used to be years ago.  This is a major factor in why there are large server queues (they own a lot less servers than they used to) and why QM and support is so bad in their products.  Most of Cryptic is now new people looking for their first jobs in the gaming industry or people with bad reputations/are valued a lot more by Cryptic than the rest of the world.  Lets be honest, Jack Emmert would have issues getting a job at McDonalds with his track record.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Ikeda

NCSoft sold Cryptic publishing rights to City of Heroes back in 2001-2002.  I think it came out 03-04.

2005-2006 Cryptic announced a partnership with Marvel that was cancelled.  Because the game was already in development they shifted laterally to Champions Online (after DC passed, because there's was already in development)  Champions was 2009.

Cryptic did STO in 2010?  I'm pretty sure it was within like 6 months of CO because they made the EXACT SAME MISTAKES with the two launches.  Bill Roper left somewhere around here.  He was pretty much a laughing stock.

Pretty much.  Cryptic developed CoH, arguably the best superhero MMO to date (still bugs me that it was shut down, and  no it wasn't because it wasn't making money, it was still profitable, just perhaps not profitable enough - with stable paid populations of 100-200k subscribers for about 7 years)

Anyway CoH was how cryptic made their name. 

Cryptic developed CoH which released in 2004, NCsoft published it.  NCsoft bought the IP in 2007.  NCsoft and cryptic then kinda shared office space and worked on CoH together under the name Paragon Studios.

Cryptic then left to work on other projects: Marvel (or started anyway), Champions then STO.

May 2011 - atari gets rid of it, PW picks it up.

Bought by Atari around Dec 2008 - STO released in July 2008 though

So *sigh,* once they were good. 

I definitely enjoyed CoH. 

I still have faith that they may do something good.  But I'll wait for consumer reviews before I actually try anything :)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SuperPanekiSuperPaneki Member Posts: 62
    Cryptic sucks. Perfect World is new in town. Let us give them some time before judging them deeply.

To be fair, I really hated City of Heroes when Cryptic ran it.  I thought that the quality went up (as far as the Issues went) when NCSoft took over.

Originally posted by SuperPaneki
    Cryptic sucks. Perfect World is new in town. Let us give them some time before judging them deeply.

They've had the ball for at least 2 years on Neverwinter.  2 out of the total 4 it was being developed.  At what point are we allowed to judge them for what they've done?

Double-post.  Sorry.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I didn't really notice much of a difference, actually.  I know the forums talked about it a lot but I never really noticed anything

Last expansion - going rogue, kinda mixed about though.  I like being able to play the villain characters as heroes, but didn't like praetoria at all. 

edit - Kinda funny how things turn out though.

I remember years ago writing a post about how I was impressed with NcSoft as they seemed to be the only studio that seemed to be doing things different (right or wrong), they weren't afraid to try something new.  First with CoH, then with auto assault, while lineage remained their staples.

Interesting how things change :)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    When Cryptic teamed up with PWE, it was akin to mixing barbiturates with alcohol. I started playing Neverwinter and was just waiting for it to kick in and I wasn't disappointed. 
  • evictonevicton Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by theniffrig

Well you practically get no que at all (less than 5 seconds for me) when you sub Gold membership to the game for a month. If you realistically just plan to play the game for the first 2-3 weeks and then lose interest (like most players will) then it might still be worth paying 1 months sub to avoid these ques for these weeks. If not, then you will have to just wait in the que like the rest of the F2P people.

As a Neverwinter Founder, I totally agree that the image of Cryptic handling the exploit issue wasn't great. I just feel that they should have went full wipe & the damage has been done to the economy. I'll see how things pan out in the following weeks, but while that happens I'm currently enjoying STO.

Just to be clear the sub/que thing only works while your currently subbed. As a 100 day veteran who is not currently subscribed I have been sitting in que for close to 2 hours now.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Pretty much.  Cryptic developed CoH, arguably the best superhero MMO to date (still bugs me that it was shut down, and  no it wasn't because it wasn't making money, it was still profitable, just perhaps not profitable enough - with stable paid populations of 100-200k subscribers for about 7 years)

Anyway CoH was how cryptic made their name. 

Cryptic developed CoH which released in 2004, NCsoft published it.  NCsoft bought the IP in 2007.  NCsoft and cryptic then kinda shared office space and worked on CoH together under the name Paragon Studios.

Cryptic then left to work on other projects: Marvel (or started anyway), Champions then STO.

May 2011 - atari gets rid of it, PW picks it up.

Bought by Atari around Dec 2008 - STO released in July 2008 though

So *sigh,* once they were good. 

I definitely enjoyed CoH. 

I still have faith that they may do something good.  But I'll wait for consumer reviews before I actually try anything :)

A little misleading in that when Cryptic sold the rights to CoX to NCsoft  most of the team that developed it had moved to new NCSoft Offices previously and formed Paragon Studios.The rest consisting of Jack Emmert and a comparatively few others left with the Cryptic name to start work on Marvel Online which became Champions after Marvel pulled out.

In other words the majority of People that worked on CoX stayed with Paragon Studios and TBH CoX improved vastly with the departure of Emmert and Co IMO.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Neverwinters in open beta, bugs are totally acceptable! so is banning people for using a bug in a beta...

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

Originally posted by skyexile
    Neverwinters in open beta, bugs are totally acceptable! so is banning people for using a bug in a beta...
    Its also totally acceptable when the economy destroying bug destroyed the economy of their previous game and was reported in Closed Beta but ignored.
  • urriel1970urriel1970 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    if there a a wreck..why are the servers for neverwinter still packed...game is fine...still in obt..sort of..but any new games will have issues like this..and there will always be assholes who exploit it...neverwinter is doing just fine
  • VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by skyexile

It is soft release; they are just hiding behind these 2 words so they will not be judged so harshly.

When you open a piece of software to everybody and announce that you will not be performing resets on accounts, also you allow the real money shops to work and accept money from customers you cannot call it an open beta.

I am truly sorry for everybody that has fallen for this cheap trick to avoid harsh reviews, but this is a blown out release. Also, for those asking for a wipe I can tell you it will not be possible because they will have to refund all the cashed money or to give the players back what they bought (I really do not see them capable of such thing considering the bugs they have).

V.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

There is definitely a divide between the people accepting the term "Open Beta" & using the term as a defense for the numerous bugs this game (& others in open beta) have VS. those players who think that once a game starts taking players real world money, then being in "Open Beta" is irrelevant and only a term used as an excuse to avoid harsher criticism of the game.

MMORPG.com should do an article on it.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Volmok
    Originally posted by skyexile Neverwinters in open beta, bugs are totally acceptable! so is banning people for using a bug in a beta...
    It is soft release; they are just hiding behind these 2 words so they will not be judged so harshly.

When you open a piece of software to everybody and announce that you will not be performing resets on accounts, also you allow the real money shops to work and accept money from customers you cannot call it an open beta.

I am truly sorry for everybody that has fallen for this cheap trick to avoid harsh reviews, but this is a blown out release. Also, for those asking for a wipe I can tell you it will not be possible because they will have to refund all the cashed money or to give the players back what they bought (I really do not see them capable of such thing considering the bugs they have).

V.

I judge them more harshly for not been able to sack up and say its launched.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by urriel1970
    if there a a wreck..why are the servers for neverwinter still packed...game is fine...still in obt..sort of..but any new games will have issues like this..and there will always be assholes who exploit it...neverwinter is doing just fine

Riiiigghhtttt....

So the downward trend of activity is a lie then?  XFire shows its activity at 50% of it's peak and showing the trend of the exodus and threads forming showing the true face of Neverwinter or how there are even threads on the official forums stating that the shards are feeling empty.

Of course the game is going to feel packed when you are instanced giving the illusion of being packed while the number of instances have plummeted.